• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Ydelnae

If this guy is right then Nomura should make a presentation at E3, right? I wonder if this means if Square will have their own conference, or Nomura will do a small presentation during E3.

I'm expecting the usual Square-Enix Presents bit, I don't think Nomura would walk onto a conference to talk about the game.

I'm expecting the usual Square-Enix Presents bit, I don't think Nomura would walk onto a conference to talk about the game.

Yep, you're right. But I was thinking, at the last smaller events Nomura did some live presentations to show new screenshots for KH III, I'm expecting the same thing at E3 but with him showing more than just screenshots.

The person who posted the rumor gave some English clarification: https://twitter.com/Jose_Strife/status/861935040187564033
Square Enix is not rushing KH3. That reports are incorrect.

If they can't finish something when they hit the deadline, it'll be cut. There is no rush when you delay a game twice.

Reports about kh3 being in development hell like Versus are also inaccurate. I said that the development of Versus was a hell.

And as Nomura said so many times, that affected him and SE.

If Nomura was a Osaka team resident and he set his goals accurately, the game would be out in December like planned.

Nomura, as you should know, is working with a lot of teams in SE in a lot of games/projects.

It's different from FFXV, for example. I think that the game'll be finished, but probably they cut some mechanics or so.Just my opinion here

Yes, things will probably get cut. This is true for many, many games, but we usually don't know what got cut and this will also be true for KH III. FF XV was a special case where we were getting info about the game's development for years so we ended up knowing what got cut or changed.

I'm just glad no one made a thread in Gaming about this rumor because I'm sure many people would love to overreact about it.

Malyse

Yes, things will probably get cut. This is true for many, many games, but we usually don't know what got cut and this will also be true for KH III. FF XV was a special case where we were getting info about the game's development for years so we ended up knowing what got cut or changed.

I'm just glad no one made a thread in Gaming about this rumor because I'm sure many people would love to overreact about it.

Literally every KH game has stuff cut. Even Unchained had stuff cut.

Vashetti

Banned
So pretty much Kingdom Hearts III is a game that is going through development.

Untrue

tumblr_onqfq2pZhM1v69oswo1_1280.png

Famassu

So, we agree that they have no experience making AAA console games - let alone HD AAA. They are hence inexperienced in that department.
They are still professionals. They did take into account their inexperience on modern hardware at the start of development and one of the reasons why they made the ReMixes in-house was purely to get the dev team accustomed to more modern hardware + they knew to ask for help from Epic not to bee too stunted with development when they changed to UE4.

Development can't have advanced too slowly considering we saw so many worlds early on and we know what their workflow is like (they aren't working on all worlds simultaneously, but work on a single/small number of worlds at once before they move on to the next). So they could clearly create content at a decent pace since they were showing footage from a few already and gameplay also looked like it was fairly far along in the first gameplay trailer. The fact is KHIII will be a huge ass game. The game will possibly have 15-20 worlds, those just aren't going to be developed overnight.

The only reason why we haven't seen more of KHIII properis most likely because up until 2016 it would have been too early to start showing KHIII a lot (SQEX mostly holds on to a pretty strict 6-10 month hype cycle, outside of that they are very conservative of showing off games much more than maybe a trailer at E3 and/or TGS) and 2016 was focused purely on KH2.8 or, more importantly, 0.2. 0.2 obviously took KHIII's place in marketing, since showing it was almost as good as showing KHIII, as far as showcasing what they had achieved with the tech & some gameplay elements from KHIII goes.

The reason being the old team doesn't exist and there was no alternative.
No, the reason is, by Nomura's own words, that they've proven themselves to be able to handle the franchise with the kind of care it warrants. For a long time Nomura didn't consider them to be "THE" KH Team even though they had been responible for franchise for years.

I guess I am worried because KH2 had a "quality" that the games Yasue has been involved with lack. Floaty combat while Nomura's FFVII doesn't seem to have that problem based on trailers etc.
I'd attribute most of the shortcomings mostly to hardware, budget & time constraints the likes that KHIII obviously doesn't have.

And KH has always been fairly floaty, don't think that DDD especially was too different to Nomura directed games in that regards. FFVIIR obviously won't aim for a similar style of combat. Nomura still OKs everything so I doubt the combat would be anything too different in his full control

Their engine problems haven't been resolved in the slightest. Nomura himself has said that they are having problem with the look of the game and are asking for advice from Visual Works. It's clear from the way the models look that they were having problem up until the release of 0.2. It remains to be seen if they are capable of fixing the models for 3.
Those clearly aren't the kinds of problems that would hugely affect the development of the game. Nailing the shaders/look of main characters (which is pretty much the only issue they have, considering the environments, VFX, enemy models and such have looked amazing since day 1) is one miniscule part of the game's development and the kind of issue that doesn't take overwhelming part of the dev team to solve or the kind that would put the whole development of the game to a halt. They can keep on cranking out content even with unfinished/not-quite-right looking Sora model (though he was pretty good already in 0.2 so they don't have much to change/improve anymore, imo)

Anyway I am anxiously waiting for E3 to actually see what they have been doing all these years and the progress they have made., but 0.2 as a whole was hardly comforting IMO.

To me it seems that the developers behind KH3 had a certain vision for this game but due to development stuggles they had to tone it down and just "get it done" in order to hit whatever deadline Square has set for them.

Hopefully E3 will prove me wrong.
It's hard to believe that they'd be having some supermassive problems considering 0.2 was originally planned to be much shorter. If they were having huge issues with creating content, a teaser/prologue like Fragmentary Passage wouldn't expand in scope so easily.

0.2 is comforting in a sense that even if KHIII was released at a similar state today (with full gameplay options, of course), it would be a pretty damn fine action RPG. The engine seems to be fairly polished, combat felt good & already had some fun additions, the game had some fun & inventive environments/level designs (including lots of platforming, exploration despite the limited scope of 0.2's environments, some light puzzles and all kinds of cool interactions with the environments, so we can assume KHIII proper will also not be a repeat of the straightforwardness & flatness of KHII) and overall it felt like it could be a demo from the early parts of a nearly finished game.

DKHF

One was made but locked quickly

Famassu

I'd imagine a game like KH that would only use bits & pieces and isn't a 100% Star Wars game would get a bit more leeway, perhaps, even if EA has some kind of exclusivity deal on proper SW games. Or not.

Finally finished DDD and 0.2. While I didn't really enjoy DDD (when I actually started liking it, the game was ending), 0.2 was a pretty cool teaser. Also watched Back Cover and... uhhh... It was nice? Wanted more of it.

And now my hype for 3 is consuming me. help

zeemumu

Finished my 1st (3rd if you count the 3DS version) run of Dream Drop Distance. I'm increasingly more convinced that Xehanort is just DIO, what with his heartless having a stand and his younger self being able to move within the frozen time and his penchant for hilariously convoluted planning. I also like how the explanation for Lea learning to wield a keyblade so quickly is basically "yeah Merlin put him in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

Famassu

Finished my 1st (3rd if you count the 3DS version) run of Dream Drop Distance. I'm increasingly more convinced that Xehanort is just DIO, what with his heartless having a stand and his younger self being able to move within the frozen time and his penchant for hilariously convoluted planning. I also like how the explanation for Lea learning to wield a keyblade so quickly is basically "yeah Merlin put him in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
Lea couldn't actually materialize his keyblade until after Sora was rescued fro TOXIII (IIRC), which makes me think that maybe the rescue mission is what kind of "unlocked" his keyblade wielding powers, since that "proved" his heart is in the right place and worthy of being able to wield a keyblade.

What does DIO mean?

zeemumu

Lea couldn't actually materialize his keyblade until after Sora was rescued fro TOXIII (IIRC), which makes me think that maybe the rescue mission is what kind of "unlocked" his keyblade wielding powers, since that "proved" his heart is in the right place and worthy of being able to wield a keyblade.

What does DIO mean?
DIO's a character from a manga series called Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

And Yen Sid mentions a few times that Lea's been training with Merlin somewhere with special time constraints, but it's never by name.

Famassu

DIO's a character from a manga series called Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

And Yen Sid mentions a few times that Lea's been training with Merlin somewhere with special time constraints, but it's never by name.
Ok, I thought maybe DIO is some abbreviation that I don't know yet. :D

And yeah he trained with Merlin but doesn't Lea say that he hasn't been able to actually make a Keyblade appear right at the end of DDD when all is mostly over and then he suddenly & surprisingly does for the first time in Yensid's tower when he stretches his hand out and everyone is like "wooaaaaaah"?

Found the cutscene https://youtu.be/eyOhaxmWcL0

zeemumu

Ok, I thought maybe DIO is some abbreviation that I don't know yet. :D

And yeah he trained with Merlin but doesn't Lea say that he hasn't been able to actually make a Keyblade appear right at the end of DDD when all is mostly over and then he suddenly & surprisingly does for the first time in Yensid's tower when he stretches his hand out and everyone is like "wooaaaaaah"?

Found the cutscene https://youtu.be/eyOhaxmWcL0

Yeah

I never knew so many people had trouble with Anti Black Coat Nightmare. He was easier than Ansem's 2nd form for me.

Psxphile

^ The arena darkens when you're fighting it, I find it difficult to anticipate attacks when you can't make out the target. Well, that's my excuse anyway.

Falk

that puzzling face
Can't tell if serious, but that's about as stupid a comment as saying someone working at e.g. square enix posting about something funny in the square enix building is stealth bragging.

Famassu

Can't tell if serious, but that's about as stupid a comment as saying someone working at e.g. square enix posting about something funny in the square enix building is stealth bragging.
I thought the "Shimomura sensei sama san chan" thing should've given it away that I wasn't being serious, didn't think
/jk
or
/s
was warranted.

DKHF

Interesting to read this quote from Nomura from when PS4 was about to launch in Japan in light of the recent "leak" (which I'm still doubtful of):

Looking at the PS4, I thought "they've gone too far." I wish they would just let us off the hook. For the player, having a game that's "thoroughly made" makes them excited with anticipation, but for a developer, it's a hurdle we have to overcome.

The number of things we have to do keeps increasing and if we keep trying to expand as far as it will go, we'll never be finished. I think we're going to end up being faced with the choice of what to keep and what to give up on [for Kingdom Hearts III].

I really felt the immense response to the Kingdom Hearts III announcement and so it's now my task to figure out how to satisfy all those people who are looking forward to it.

There have been a lot of different consoles in the past, but I feel that this one is the biggest mountain we've had to climb yet, in a good way.

It seems he always felt there was a good chance they would need to cut a lot of KH3 (like, more than previous KH games) so maybe they've been prepared for it.

Ydelnae

guys we found info about the new kh game today

kf9rTw5.jpg

its called KANGDAM HAATS

Salamat Datang sounds like the last Organization XIII member.

Interesting to read this quote from Nomura from when PS4 was about to launch in Japan in light of the recent "leak" (which I'm still doubtful of):

It seems he always felt there was a good chance they would need to cut a lot of KH3 (like, more than previous KH games) so maybe they've been prepared for it.

He probably wanted to include multiple playable characters with their own story path, meaningful multiplayer, every original KH world, over complicated QTEs and stuff lol

He has been building up to KH3 for so long that I always felt that in every game, he said "oh, I got this amazing idea but I better hold it back until KH3 so I can shock everyone". The game was bloated in arrival. Look at all the stuff we have to clear up in order to get the story going, saving Aqua, so she can save Ventus, so they can save Terra, so they can reunite every light guardian, also Kairi and Lea have to finish up training, and we have to defeat a bunch of Xehanorts, and more.

I always felt that KH3D should have followed the -a fragmentary passage- model and be a compilation of multiple episodes in order to deal with most the stuff that needs to be solved before the last battle begins. One episode for Sora and Riku with their MoM exam and the new Org reveal, one for Aqua and what she did in the RoD which ends up with her getting out, one for Kairi, etc. I fear that in order to cut things and streamline everything, we are going to save Aqua during a Saix boss battle, Ventus is going to get out of Castle Oblivion offscreen and Terra will wake up during the secret ending with Xehanort eyes and white hair.

I have this growing feeling that KH3 might appear at MS E3 conference considering Phil's ''''commitment'''' to the genre he touted previously and there is nothing else coming to the platform for now.

Psxphile

It'll probably just be a teaser rather then a full trailer like so many hope for. Still, something is better than nothing. So yeah, I have to agree... we should definitely see something at E3.

I restate my worry that giving each Keyblade a unique transformation mode will bog down the development of the core melee combat in KH3. If it's just a flashier version of Shotlock and isn't meant to be a core function of the weapon that needs to be closely tuned for quality combat, then fine, whatever. But Keyblade transformations and Attraction Flow both seem like asset-intensive new features that aren't related to nailing the basic core of the gameplay.

I'd much rather see something like a merger of KH2's melee combat and physics with a much deeper version of BBS 0.2's Situation Command system and a fleshed-out version of Re:Coded's keyblade passive abilities.

I hope a trailer at Sony's E3 conference, an extended trailer at E3 an additional preview in D23 would be cool. Maybe a world/gameplay preview.

I'm hoping for anything but a delay.

Even just having Nomura walk on stage, mutter into the mic "It's cold in here. I'm frozen.", and walk off stage would be enough for me :<

Lnds500

I'm hoping for anything but a delay.

Even just having Nomura walk on stage, mutter into the mic "It's cold in here. I'm frozen.", and walk off stage would be enough for me :<

You need an release date to have a delay. :p

I will form an opinion on whether I want one depending on the footage the show us

I have this growing feeling that KH3 might appear at MS E3 conference considering Phil's ''''commitment'''' to the genre he touted previously and there is nothing else coming to the platform for now.

Wouldn't mean anything.

The game will move virtually the same units on both platforms. Which is like 90% on PS4 and <10% on Xbox One.

Top Bottom