• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

Exentryk

Made a little spreadsheet to see what combos of Dream Eaters would give max stat boosts. Just enter the dream eater's name and it will pull up its stats. I've listed a few combos, but there is space at the bottom for you to mess around with other combos.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IqyoWeDU5uzOgrZBD5bd2kRGgnmTpu9aHKysj-bJGHc/edit?usp=sharing

Looks like this:
AQ2w6mq.png

For how much critique KH1 platforming gets, IMO

1)It wasn't that bad. You want bad? Go play DMC1.

2) There actually is very little """hard"""" platforming you need to do. The only thing that comes to mind is the hippo section in Deep Jungle. A ton of platforming sections are completely optional.

The part where you need to friggin push a box to reach an accessory at the start of KH1 is 100x more satisfying than anything exploration wise in DDD.

yeah, basically all of this. also any platforming section that seems hard/difficult is something you can just come back to once you've got high jump/glide/superglide and have a completely easy time with - like you pretty much thoroughly dominate any of the platforming stuff in wonderland/deep jungle/agrabah on revisits.

burgerdog

I'm three worlds down and half way done with the 4th. Are the worlds on the map the only ones available? I kinda want to power through this before Horizon hits on Tuesday. I skip a ton of fights and usually make up the level difference in the next world with the higher level enemies so that should cut a good chunk of time out.

Lnds500

I'm three worlds down and half way done with the 4th. Are the worlds on the map the only ones available? I kinda want to power through this before Horizon hits on Tuesday. I skip a ton of fights and usually make up the level difference in the next world with the higher level enemies so that should cut a good chunk of time out.

I believe there are 7 worlds. Relax, you've got plenty of time.

Azuran

Banned
I finally got around to playing 0.2 and I really enjoyed it a lot for what it was. Some of the gameplay additions were pretty cool and it was nice seeing them go back to the classic style of 2. As much as a liked the command deck, it was really nice to see an MP bar again.

If my hype for KH3 wasn't up the roof before, then it certainly is now. I've spent the last two years going through every game in the series to get ready for that game, so it's feels really relieving to finally be all caught up with the story. The waiting is going to hurt but I think I can handle it.

Psxphile

Played it a few days ago myself after completing 3D. I *really* like that you can fire off spells when you're on the move like some of Sora's drive forms (Wisdom and Final, I think?).

Tsunamo

Played it a few days ago myself after completing 3D. I *really* like that you can fire off spells when you're on the move like some of Sora's drive forms (Wisdom and Final, I think?).
Yeah it's really enjoyable. I love the flexability you get with drive forms, so it's nice to have something to that effect with Aqua.

Azuran

Banned
Yeah it's really enjoyable. I love the flexability you get with drive forms, so it's nice to have something to that effect with Aqua.

I'm looking forward to doing the same thing with Sora without having to activate drive forms. Sliding on ice to approach an enemy after you blast with a Blizzaga feels so damn satisfying.

So I finally got around to getting this. I already beat 3D so I onyl played 0.2 and Back Cover.

From a technical standpoint was pretty underwhelming. I don't know if it was just me, but the game ran like shit. First there was an over scan issue which seems very common with recent SE games, then there was choppy ass stuttering/frame rate issues all through out. Also during cut scenes I felt like my TV was gonna blow up as there were all these random audio/visual issues.

Game play wise I enjoyed it. I liked the increase movement speed and I liked how the game is like a combo of KH2 and BBS. Story was ok, I actually wasn't expecting much modern timeline story bits towards the end so that was nice, though I'm pissed that we're getting Olympus yet again... I really hope KH3 can leave 90s Disney alone. There's just so much to pull from now with Marvel, Pixar, Star wars, and Modern Disney that i'll be super disappointed if we get a bunch of worlds we've already seen ad nauseum again.

Back Cover

This actually surprised me, since I had 0 expectations for this. Out of all 3 of the movie games, this was the most interesting. But I feel like were missing about 20 mins. There's no resolution to anything and in classic KH fashion this thing brings up more questions and answers none of them. I was actually shocked when the credits came up because I legitimately felt we were missing an ending.

hollomat

Banned
I finally got around to playing 0.2 and I really enjoyed it a lot for what it was. Some of the gameplay additions were pretty cool and it was nice seeing them go back to the classic style of 2. As much as a liked the command deck, it was really nice to see an MP bar again.

If my hype for KH3 wasn't up the roof before, then it certainly is now. I've spent the last two years going through every game in the series to get ready for that game, so it's feels really relieving to finally be all caught up with the story. The waiting is going to hurt but I think I can handle it.

Don't worry, you'll have another 2 years to go through them before 3 drops.

Exentryk

Finished DDD. The exposition dump at the end was so bad. Like you have the whole game to tell the story, so why dump it all at the end? There was a neat concept there with
Inception-like dream on top of a dream, but it was all just told to you at the end instead of showing it or hinting it throughout your journey. Didn't really care for Xehanort and time travel crap as I'm really over this nonsense.

Now onto post-game bosses. Why is the Ultima Weapon a reward for beating the optional boss? The point of the best weapon is to be used AGAINST the optional boss.

Tsunamo

So I finally got around to getting this. I already beat 3D so I onyl played 0.2 and Back Cover.

From a technical standpoint was pretty underwhelming. I don't know if it was just me, but the game ran like shit. First there was an over scan issue which seems very common with recent SE games, then there was choppy ass stuttering/frame rate issues all through out. Also during cut scenes I felt like my TV was gonna blow up as there were all these random audio/visual issues.

Game play wise I enjoyed it. I liked the increase movement speed and I liked how the game is like a combo of KH2 and BBS. Story was ok, I actually wasn't expecting much modern timeline story bits towards the end so that was nice, though I'm pissed that we're getting Olympus yet again... I really hope KH3 can leave 90s Disney alone. There's just so much to pull from now with Marvel, Pixar, Star wars, and Modern Disney that i'll be super disappointed if we get a bunch of worlds we've already seen ad nauseum again.

Back Cover

This actually surprised me, since I had 0 expectations for this. Out of all 3 of the movie games, this was the most interesting. But I feel like were missing about 20 mins. There's no resolution to anything and in classic KH fashion this thing brings up more questions and answers none of them. I was actually shocked when the credits came up because I legitimately felt we were missing an ending.

For KH3 I think they've said mostly new worlds with a couple of returning ones, so i'm fine with olympus as a intro stage of sorts. The screenshots show it'll be completely new areas, and I feel like its gonna go through the last act of the movie (battle of the titans and gods) so as far as a intro stage go it'll be glorious.

But yeah other than that I can't think of too many other old Disney worlds i'm keen on seeing (suppose PoTC might be interesting in the new artstyle)

And yeah BackCover would have been perfect if rather than leave more questions, they answered them and gave it a bit of a conclusion. This was supposed to be the movie to answer Chi/Unchaineds questions/mysterys, and instead it throwed us more.
Now onto post-game bosses. Why is the Ultima Weapon a reward for beating the optional boss? The point of the best weapon is to be used AGAINST the optional boss.
Yeah theres a ton of keyblades as rewards that are headscratchers. Ultima as a reward for beating the secret boss, one for doing all portals. By the time you've done it all there's prettymuch nothing to do with them. (the designs are nice though)

DNAbro

Finally had time to finish DDD again. Yup still a really enjoyable game. Final fights are super fun. Story is ridiculous but I already knew that.

Will do a Critical playthrough eventually. Will probably do 0.2 critical first though.

Kingdom Hearts 3 when?

Exentryk

All DDD post-game bosses beaten. You can really cheese most of the fights, and I managed to do all but one without taking any damage on Proud. The secret boss is really poorly designed. 0.2's secret boss was so well done, so I was expecting something good from DDD too, but oh well.

So, that's all for DDD. Really enjoyed my time with it. I loved playing as Riku more, mainly coz of his Dark Barrier and Dark Roll moves being much better than Sora's versions. But Sora has Superglide, which is so so good!

Anyway, time to get ready for NieR Automata next.

I'm actually close to DDD's Platinum myself. Didn't think it'd be the first KH game I'd Platinum.

Only trophy that might take a while now is the one for Max Affinity.

I'm actually close to DDD's Platinum myself. Didn't think it'd be the first KH game I'd Platinum.

Only trophy that might take a while now is the one for Max Affinity.

Max affinity is easy grind if you have any Dream Eater around 7-8 affinity (which you should if you have had any specific Dream Eater be a party member for a long time, for me it was Rex). From there it was like 5-10 minutes or something doing an easy task of Balloon minigame cancelling while listening to a podcast.

The most annoying part IMO is easily the special portals and going back and forth (tho I'm partly to blame since I did very few of them during the playtrough so I had a ton to do in postgame, unlike Flick Rush that I did as soon as the cups unlocked). At the very least DDD has zero RNG when it comes to grinding so it's much more friendly than Enemy Cards in CoM for example.

Max affinity is easy grind if you have any Dream Eater around 7-8 affinity (which you should if you have had any specific Dream Eater be a party member for a long time, for me it was Rex). From there it was like 5-10 minutes or something doing an easy task of Balloon minigame cancelling while listening to a podcast.

The most annoying part IMO is easily the special portals and going back and forth (tho I'm partly to blame since I did very few of them during the playtrough so I had a ton to do in postgame, unlike Flick Rush that I did as soon as the cups unlocked). At the very least DDD has zero RNG when it comes to grinding so it's much more friendly than Enemy Cards in CoM for example.

Oh, awesome. Already have the Special Portal trophies, so I should be good to go.

0.2 is the only KH game left for me to 100%. I haven't really gone back after I beat it casually, how hard is it to get?

It's not that hard, apart from a few boss fights at Critical difficulty

If you're going for the trophy of never dying in a playthrough of the game, then only use Load if you fall in battle.

Psxphile

rewatching the 0.2 intro

So like, the video dropping frames and lagging is a known thing, right? How do you fuck up so bad you can't even stream from a disc/HDD consistently?

Sai-kun

Banned
0.2 is...so fucking rough. my gf and i are about 10-15 minutes into it and the frame rate is just...

how is this possible? wtf lmao

also ddd was fucking gaaaaarrrrbage. it's been awhile since i played a game that got that unbalanced that quickly. a thoroughly unenjoyable experience. thank god i wasn't the one having to play through most of it.

NateDog

I haven't had the chance to get the game yet but want to listen to the OST for 0.2. Are there any spoilers in the track titles?

NateDog

No.

To be fair 0.2 is one of those titles that is almost impossible to spoil because nothing particularly important happens lol.
Cool, thanks. I was kind of expecting that in one way but the other part of me was expecting Nomura to just throw something in there whether it was needed or not.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Quick question...

Shouldn't Terranort be back, where is he in this game?

Will post impressions in a bit, liking DDD quite a bit more a few years later on a bigger screen.

Psxphile

Quick question...

Shouldn't Terranort be back, where is he in this game?

Will post impressions in a bit, liking DDD quite a bit more a few years later on a bigger screen.

Somewhere else.

DDD ENDGAME SPOILERS:
Literally every one of the Org members you see in DDD are time-displaced, even MX. So when "time runs out", they all return to their own times. But will eventually come together again for Kingdom Hearts III: The Search for more Darkness.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm level 30 on standard and fighting the final bosses. Am I screwed?

KanameYuuki

Good lord, the
Phantom Aqua
fight has me clueless I just don't have time to do anything, heck even after doing counters she just does that red rush attack less than a second afterwards and I just get killed in no time, it doesn't help the performance either on such a fast paced fight, I've done pretty much every secret boss there is in the series besides the ones on CoM but It seems this is the one I will throw the towel.

Psxphile

Good lord, the
Phantom Aqua
fight has me clueless I just don't have time to do anything, heck even after doing counters she just does that red rush attack less than a second afterwards and I just get killed in no time, it doesn't help the performance either on such a fast paced fight, I've done pretty much every secret boss there is in the series besides the ones on CoM but It seems this is the one I will throw the towel.

You absolutely need to learn when to block and jump-cancel into melee to get in the maximum damage during her regular attacks. The standard counter attack is only good for the brief i-frames.

The red rushes suck when you can't foresee when she'll use them (usually as punishment for combos) but if you survive that first hit then you can be reasonably sure she'll follow up with two and then three more so you can cartwheel to safety. If you're fast you can get in a combo or two after her third volley as she'll be briefly vulnerable.

The DM requires good block timing and cartwheels to survive.

If you're fast you can knock her out of her Icicle attack w/ Thunder before she summons them.

When in doubt, watch a youtube vid of the fight and see how others deal with her bullshit.

KanameYuuki

You absolutely need to learn when to block and jump-cancel into melee to get in the maximum damage during her regular attacks. The standard counter attack is only good for the brief i-frames.

The red rushes suck when you can't foresee when she'll use them (usually as punishment for combos) but if you survive that first hit then you can be reasonably sure she'll follow up with two and then three more so you can cartwheel to safety. If you're fast you can get in a combo or two after her third volley as she'll be briefly vulnerable.

The DM requires good block timing and cartwheels to survive.

If you're fast you can knock her out of her Icicle attack w/ Thunder before she summons them.

When in doubt, watch a youtube vid of the fight and see how others deal with her bullshit.

Thanks for the info, Finally managed to beat her!!!!!! And you know what, it was actually rather fun and it felt so good when I did it.

I think the problem is that I was used to the other games where dodge roll was so safe you could just not get touched by anything and, of course, also the stuttering, it was bad on the other bosses but on this one that requires you to play perfectly it is really frustrating, its really good to know what bosses will bring for KH III but also a sign to worry with this performance, I hope this is nothing more than a rushed demo.

And I have a question on the final fight on DDD with
Young Xehanort.
Did someone else beat it just by only spamming block and counter attacking?

So weird, I found the bosses on DDD were all about spamming something and sticking to it really sucked the fun to just spam balloon and if that wasn't enough then spam block.

SolVanderlyn

Young Xehanort is some serious BS

SolVanderlyn

Alright, well, I finally beat DDD. I liked it more than I remember liking it on 3DS.

The writing is not as incoherent as people say it is. I like how, unlike KH2, the Disney worlds aren't just rehashes of the movies (at least, not as often) and often try to add something to the overarching KH experience with hearts and Xehanort and whatnot. The problem isn't in the writing, though. It's in the plot.

The
dream within a dream, Xehanort cloning himself, Organization XIII being a failed clone experiment, wanting Sora as a vessel (Sora!? Come on, he has NO darkness in his heart), the nonsensical Ventus armor battle,
it's all a mess. Interestingly enough, I don't have much issue with the
time travel
, and hope it explains why (KH Chi spoilers)
Ven
is in Chi now, and why he was Xehanort's apprentice in the first place.
It's the
cloning business
that rubs me the wrong way. Having all of the worlds be asleep and not "real" also made the bulk of the game feel like it lacked consequence, more like a what-if story or a dream sequence than a real adventure. The exception was Traverse Town, of course.

That said, I don't think it was terrible, just sort of messy, and it has nowhere to go but up from here. The idea of
the seven lights and thirteen darknesses, and wanting to recreate the keyblade war
- that was cool stuff. Also liked how Riku got a chance to shine in this game, and how his personality showed legitimate growth from his KH1 days. 0.2's plot and writing were worlds ahead of anything I experienced in DDD, so I have high hopes for KH3.

The Disney worlds and flowmotion were really fun. This game might have a wonky plot, but it has some pretty ace gameplay. Glad I got a chance to play it again.

KanameYuuki

wanting Sora as a vessel (Sora!? Come on, he has NO darkness in his heart),

Thing is, While Sora has a strong heart, all of the people that he unconsciously allow to take place on his own heart to heal are too much for a single person to carry, there is only so much sadness and tragic a single person can take and pretty much everyone in this universe has a tragic story, how many does he keeps on his? Kairi, Namine, Ven, Roxas, Xion, Ansem the Wise and probably Vanitas is even in there. He is just too good of a person and unlike Riku he is unable to control darkness at all.

I liked how the story on DDD and 0.2 mid game are something really simple and then at the ending it was like 30 min full of cut scenes, so much easier to digest and to not forget important stuff after like 30 hours of gameplay. How I wish KH X would release on South America : (

Top Bottom