• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

e8P3eIc.jpg

It's over.... I'm free

Opa-Pa

I beat KH1 last week, watched the ReCoM cutscenes (beat this on GBA back in the day) and finally I got to start KH2 FM on critical for the first time as most people suggest. I already played all these games (in their vanilla versions) 11 years ago, and I remember them all fondly, but I recall not liking 2 all that much due to how annoyingly easy it was sans a few Org bosses... And damn, does critical mode change things, this is pretty much one of my favorite games ever now.

I shared my bit of complaining about critical mode at first, but after I got some decent defense and HP it became extremely fun and started enjoying every second. I love how fast boss battles are due to Sora dealing ridiculous damage and I like that it remains challenging because he's pretty much a glass canon.

I made it to the last boss last night at level 49 (perfect timing to get Second Chance lol) and decided to get other stuff done before facing him. Like beating some CoM Org members and try beating Sephiroth and failing miserably at it. Either way I'm having a blast and I adore this game.

Another thing I've enjoyed more about this games this time around due to being older is appreciating how adorable these games are. As an edgy teen who only liked cool things I thought Sora was lame... Now I love him and he's my son. Stuff like the Little Mermaid and Winnie the Pooh segments in 2 were also a delight.

Oh and Jesus Christ, fuck that Roxas fight. It was both very difficult and sad :(

jennetics

Playing through BBS for the first time, just got to the
Keyblade Graveyard
and...holy crap, this game is getting dark real quick.

Here's something for the BBS folks. I've explained before how I complete a large chunk of content with each character before moving on with the main story. I do this in order to make the Platinum campaign as enjoyable and stress free as possible.

Well, with Aqua's playthrough (also Critical Mode), I am taking things a step further. Since Magic commands are by far the most effective way of disposing regular enemies, you can break the game a lot faster than with Terra or Ven due to her natural affinity to magic and some crazy exclusive moves.

I made a video of this current playthrough to demonstrate two things:

1. Even if it is a bit of a challenge, you can completely reasonably get both Ultima Weapon and Lightbloom (her strongest Shotlock) before even stepping foot into Radiant Garden. With Terra and Ven I could achieve this same result comfortably only before Neverland/Deep Space. Renewal Barrier and Cartwheel allow you to survive a LOT.

2. Beating Terra's story before Aqua's unlocks an extra stage in the Mirage Arena, allowing her to be the first character to reach Mirage Arena LV28. However, as you can clearly see, the optional Boss Fight
Armor of Eraqus
cannot be fought at this stage of the game yet.

Zee-Row

Banned
I’m trying to play Chain of Memories and I absolutely hate it , I wanted to play it for the story but I hate the card system.

I’m trying to play Chain of Memories and I absolutely hate it , I wanted to play it for the story but I hate the card system.

I said this before but you really need to be invested in CoMs battle system and the "make-your-dungeon" aspect for it to be worthwhile. It clicks for some people and they enjoy it a lot but for others it's nothing but a big slog.

Since the gameplay doesn't work for you, watching cutscenes on Youtube would probably work best. That's not a bad solution to get caught up because anything of note happens only between floors and those are the only scenes that matter. The story of Disney worlds is completely useless and is usually skipped. Because of this the CoM "movie" isn't overly long.

Zee-Row

Banned
I said this before but you really need to be invested in CoMs battle system and the "make-your-dungeon" aspect for it to be worthwhile. It clicks for some people and they enjoy it a lot but for others it's nothing but a big slog.

Since the gameplay doesn't work for you, watching cutscenes on Youtube would probably work best. That's not a bad solution to get caught up because anything of note happens only between floors and those are the only scenes that matter. The story of Disney worlds is completely useless and is usually skipped. Because of this the CoM "movie" isn't overly long.
Yeah I got through Travrse Town , Agrabah and the colosseum. It just feels like work for me instead of fun. But yeah I’m gonna skip the game and just watch the cutscenes.

jennetics

Yeah I got through Travrse Town , Agrabah and the colosseum. It just feels like work for me instead of fun. But yeah I’m gonna skip the game and just watch the cutscenes.

It took me til near the end of the game to figure out I hated playing it. Ended up watching the rest of the story online and it was so much better. Would definitely recommend you do the same :)

Opa-Pa

DIFBOSjU0AgZZsL.jpg:large

god wave 3 is killing me. I don't want to go back and grind more but I just can't get through this wave lol..

That's right before the room with the data fights, right? Yeah that was pretty brutal lol, I never expected mobs to be one of the most challenging enemies in the game?

raven777

That's right before the room with the data fights, right? Yeah that was pretty brutal lol, I never expected mobs to be one of the most challenging enemies in the game?
yea I beat it on PS3 collection but I was much higher level back then I think..

Genie is godlike for that room. Just make sure you have summon gauge fully upgraded.

I heard that too. but I never used summon before and my summon level is 1 lol. I don't want to go back leveling up summon gauge.. ;_;

Fauve

yea I beat it on PS3 collection but I was much higher level back then I think..

I heard that too. but I never used summon before and my summon level is 1 lol. I don't want to go back leveling up summon gauge.. ;_;

Full stock of Shock Charm+ and Photon Debugger'd Magnega+Thundaga combo was my MVP. Smart uses of Duck Flare is great too for those godawful Sorcerors. The Photon Debugger might be enough if you're a high enough level. I was Level 1 on my last time through it so I needed all the damage I could squeeze out from it.

Edit: Oh sweet, looks like I'm finally a full fledged member!

Full stock of Shock Charm+ and Photon Debugger'd Magnega+Thundaga combo was my MVP. Smart uses of Duck Flare is great too for those godawful Sorcerors. The Photon Debugger might be enough if you're a high enough level. I was Level 1 on my last time through it so unneeded all the damage I could squeeze out from it.

wait, four shock charm+ before even getting to the data battles?

Full stock of Shock Charm+ and Photon Debugger'd Magnega+Thundaga combo was my MVP. Smart uses of Duck Flare is great too for those godawful Sorcerors. The Photon Debugger might be enough if you're a high enough level. I was Level 1 on my last time through it so I needed all the damage I could squeeze out from it.

I'm sure that works, but... Like Crumble said... Damn that's a bit of overkill o_o

NullKaze

Timing your Reflects and Aerial Spiral-ing towards the Sorcerers was how I did it. I never did get the hang of the Genie strat or the Final Form Reflega.

If you use Stitch + Thundaga strat, make sure you cancel him when the Sorcerers come out in full force. His Ukulele attack when you're in critical HP has the tendency to provoke the Sorcerers to go berserk with their cubes, which basically kills you if you stop paying attention.

Make sure to target the Dragoons and Dancers with Thundaga first. Always listen for that telltale 'jump/teleport' noise Dragoons make so you Reflect as necessary. Don't be in the air unless you're Reflecting a Sorcerer attack, or gliding away from things. Don't use aerial combos, especially not the long-ass Aerial Finish or even Magnet Splash (Finishers can berserk Sorcerers)

You can Quick Run into/past Dancers to cancel their grab move, but Magnet is somewhat safer. Magnet does tend to provoke Sorcerers into their berserk cubes, but careful gliding and Quick Running should let you dodge the cubes.

Basically, take your time, don't attack without thinking, make sure you're safe by gliding/quick running, Magnets can provoke Sorcerers, Reflect is your best friend.

raven777

Timing your Reflects and Aerial Spiral-ing towards the Sorcerers was how I did it. I never did get the hang of the Genie strat or the Final Form Reflega.

If you use Stitch + Thundaga strat, make sure you cancel him when the Sorcerers come out in full force. His Ukulele attack when you're in critical HP has the tendency to provoke the Sorcerers to go berserk with their cubes, which basically kills you if you stop paying attention.

Make sure to target the Dragoons and Dancers with Thundaga first. Always listen for that telltale 'jump/teleport' noise Dragoons make so you Reflect as necessary. Don't be in the air unless you're Reflecting a Sorcerer attack, or gliding away from things. Don't use aerial combos, especially not the long-ass Aerial Finish or even Magnet Splash (Finishers can berserk Sorcerers)

You can Quick Run into/past Dancers to cancel their grab move, but Magnet is somewhat safer. Magnet does tend to provoke Sorcerers into their berserk cubes, but careful gliding and Quick Running should let you dodge the cubes.

Basically, take your time, don't attack without thinking, make sure you're safe by gliding/quick running, Magnets can provoke Sorcerers, Reflect is your best friend.

I have seen videos from BB where he fights Sorcerers like you say. He was reflecting the cube attacks and immediately aerial spiral toward the Sorcerers and attacking. But I found the timing very difficult, can't seem to aerial dive/spiral toward the Sorcerers after I reflect, so I get constantly hit by the cube even when I reflect it because I keep staying still after the reflect. Is there any specific way I aerial dive toward the Sorcerers immediately after the reflect? I do have the ability equipped.

Edit: Finally beat it!

Philippo

Finally finished BbS. Didn't know about the secret ending, so i had to youtube it.
Pretty cool, but i still don't understand a single fuck about the plot. Is Re:Coded worth watching?

Will probably post impressions about the saga/whole games one of these days.
I'm glad i'm almost completely caught up, but i'm also happy i can move on completely different titles after 3 months.

Finally finished BbS. Didn't know about the secret ending, so i had to youtube it.
Pretty cool, but i still don't understand a single fuck about the plot.

Be free to ask if you don't understand something. BBS isn't difficult to understand at all but I can appreciate that people need to clear up a few points to really get it. Unlike DDD where so much logic is ceremoniously thrown out the window.

Philippo

Be free to ask if you don't understand something. BBS isn't difficult to understand at all but I can appreciate that people need to clear up a few points to really get it. Unlike DDD where so much logic is ceremoniously thrown out the window.

Thanks.
Just the first things that come to mind:
-What's Xeanhort final plan? To obtain a younger body (Terra) and craft the x-blade? But then when those plans gets ruined and he goes amnesiac, why is Braig acting like this was all according to keikaku?
-Why is Ansem in the world of darkness with Aqua? I guess he's there after the events of KH2?
-What's the relationship between Ventus and Sora, and Riku and Terra?
-I remember casually reading something about 13 versions of Xeanhort and 7 Keyblade weilders? Is that something that gets explained in 2.8?

Thanks.
Just the first things that come to mind:
-What's Xeanhort final plan? To obtain a younger body (Terra) and craft the x-blade? But then when those plans gets ruined and he goes amnesiac, why is Braig acting like this was all according to keikaku?

Essentially, the Keyblade War was fought for the X-Blade. The X-Blade is what allows one to control Kingdom Hearts.

After the original war, the worlds became separate and darkness spread. What is unknown is what kind of power caused this and how. Xehanort, being the scientific mind that he is, wants to both find out and use that power for himself. And in order to do that he needs to recreate the war to see what happened in its aftermath. As Eraqus put it, he wants to satisfy an academic curiosity by causing a second apocalypse.

Terra is used as a means to both extend his life and to have a more powerful, younger body better capable of controlling the X-Blade. That is why he grooms Terra the way he does, slowly pushing him to darkness so he could take control of him more easily.

As for Braig, you can see he didn't exactly act like everything was going to plan. The plan was for Xehanort to seize Terra's body but it was expected that Xehanort would have full control of it. If you look at the secret ending, he is unsure who exactly is in control. There is a lot more to Braig than meets the eye and most of us are sure that he an ulterior motive of his own.

Why is Ansem in the world of darkness with Aqua? I guess he's there after the events of KH2?

Yes, that is after the events of KH2. Ansem ended up there after his machine exploded in The World that Never Was and Aqua has been lost in the realm of darkness for ~10-11 years up to that point. They had no prior connection before this. I guess they talked to each other simply because it felt good to see another human being after a long time.

What's the relationship between Ventus and Sora, and Riku and Terra?

At the very start of Birth by Sleep, we see Xehanort carrying Ventus to Destiny Islands in order to let him "die in peace". This was immediately after he separated Vanitas from Ventus, causing Ventus' heart to become fractured and damaged.
If you remember, a newborn heart found him in that state, offering to "heal him" until he can win back his other half. That newborn heart was Sora's.

At the end of Ventus' story (after he beats Vanitas) his heart becomes fractured once again. Because of their earlier connection, his damaged heart found its way back to Sora, where it found refuge once again. This connection is what caused Roxas to take the appearance of Ventus.

Terra and Riku have a much simpler connection. Terra passed down the power of the Keyblade to Riku after meeting him in Destiny Islands. He did that because he was impressed by Riku and because he saw in him a lot of what he saw in himself.

I remember casually reading something about 13 versions of Xeanhort and 7 Keyblade weilders? Is that something that gets explained in 2.8?

That is something that is explained in DDD (which is in the 2.8 collection).

I'm currently 17 hours in KH1 for the first time via the ps4 collection and just finished Halloween town.

My god this game is amazing! The characters, concept, upscaled visuals, pacing/sense of progression and story are completely sucking me in and is one of the best games I've played this year.

The only real negatives I would have would be the occasional camera annoyance, anything to do with the gummi ship and the somewhat clunky combat. However getting the warp ability for the gummi ship greatly helped with that issue and I'm used to the combat so all the amazing in the game greatly outweighs the negatives.

I don't have anything major to play until October so I hope to get though a big chunk of the series before then.

The only real negatives I would have would be the occasional camera annoyance.

Consider yourself lucky. Back on the PS2 the camera was sometimes a bigger enemy than the actual enemies. You have the right analog control which is a massive upgrade on its own.

Imagine only controlling the camera horizontally with L2/R2.

Consider yourself lucky. Back on the PS2 the camera was sometimes a bigger enemy than the actual enemies. You have the right analog control which is a massive upgrade on its own.

Imagine only controlling the camera horizontally with L2/R2.
Yes I think the original non-manual option would've killed me.

KH1 is everything, tbh. A magical game and probably my favourite of the lot. It's not the best technically but it becomes so much more than the sum of its parts imo.

Man that second fight against
Riku
was so satisfying, I just barely finished him off with a desperate Ars Arcanium with my last bit of MP.

It was pretty awesome considering the previous two boss fights in Hallow Bastion were pretty easy due to the Aerora/tinkerbell combo.

Although I'm only playing on standard mode so I bet they would've been much more difficult on proud lol.

Yeah. You can get a total of 5 Lost Illusions from completing all Absent Silhouettes. Use 1 for a base Shock Charm, then the rest for the upgraded versions.

Huh. I can see the appeal of going with that strategy on a LV1 run for sure (since 4 shock charms make Larxene eminently more farmable and Marluxia's not an option for that).

Man that second fight against
Riku
was so satisfying, I just barely finished him off with a desperate Ars Arcanium with my last bit of MP.

It was pretty awesome considering the previous two boss fights in Hallow Bastion were pretty easy due to the Aerora/tinkerbell combo.

Although I'm only playing on standard mode so I bet they would've been much more difficult on proud lol.

Despite my mixed feelings on KH1, that encounter is one of the best boss fights in the entire series. It is a spectacle to watch on screen if one knows what he is doing. The parries, the rolls, the timing of attacks... It is a fight that represents some of the best gameplay qualities of KH in general.

I remember, a popular streamer called MANvsGAME played this game on stream. He despised the game and hated going through it but he kept on because of the audience and the gameplay. When he reached this fight he was really into it since it reminded him so much of Dark Souls in the sense that it rewarded the process of learning a fight and the careful use of the core gameplay mechanics - dodging, blocking and counterattacking.

NullKaze

Huh. I can see the appeal of going with that strategy on a LV1 run for sure (since 4 shock charms make Larxene eminently more farmable and Marluxia's not an option for that).
I always farmed Lost Illusions from Lexaeus. Such an easy and satisfying boss fight if you use Reflect/Slapshot combos.

Despite my mixed feelings on KH1, that encounter is one of the best boss fights in the entire series. It is a spectacle to watch on screen if one knows what he is doing. The parries, the rolls, the timing of attacks... It is a fight that represents some of the best gameplay qualities of KH in general.

I remember, a popular streamer called MANvsGAME played this game on stream. He despised the game and hated going through it but he kept on because of the audience and the gameplay. When he reached this fight he was really into it since it reminded him so much of Dark Souls in the sense that it rewarded the process of learning a fight and the careful use of the core gameplay mechanics - dodging, blocking and counterattacking.
Yes! I generally suck at dark souls but from what I've played of those and bloodborne, the comparison is spot on. The fight really does force you to study how patterns and be patient in getting in a combo here and there and immediately going back on the defensive. The Hercules fight in the Hercules cup was similar but not nearly as fun or challenging.

After that fight and escaping Bastion Hallow, the game has gotten pretty hard now I've found.

Does anyone have any tips for what I should have equipped in Sora with him being at level 49 with staff chosen & sword sacrificed? My magic feels weak AF against heartless now and combat seems only somewhat effective with divine rose equipped.

Opa-Pa

Every single heartless becomes significantly stronger after that fight in Hollow Bastion, actually, even stuff in Traverse Town and Coliseum cups.

I don't remember much about equipment, but once you get the chance to go back to HB, look for a chest in the room you had your last boss fight in. You'll find one of the best keyblades in the game inside.

And yeah I chose staff and gave up sword after looking up advice online... Some enemies and bosses, especially late game, took ages to kill and I never felt like the magic upgrade was significant... Then my sister chose the opposite setup and she consistently killed everything in half the time lmao. Never again, I should have gone sword like when I was younger!

Every single heartless becomes significantly stronger after that fight in Hollow Bastion, actually, even stuff in Traverse Town and Coliseum cups.

I don't remember much about equipment, but once you get the chance to go back to HB, look for a chest in the room you had your last boss fight in. You'll find one of the best keyblades in the game inside.

And yeah I chose staff and gave up sword after looking up advice online... Some enemies and bosses, especially late game, took ages to kill and I never felt like the magic upgrade was significant... Then my sister chose the opposite setup and she consistently killed everything in half the time lmao. Never again, I should have gone sword like when I was younger!
I also made the same mistake in looking for advice before starting, I will hopefully make a better decision for my KH2 playthrough.

I certainly look for that keyblade later then and will try that out, thanks!

I picked shield and gave up sword for my Proud run. After that, I concluded that I may be retarded

Meowster

Getting around to play BBS and I must say the soundtrack is very beautiful and dreamlike. Quite capturing of that early Disney romanticism.

Getting around to play BBS and I must say the soundtrack is very beautiful and dreamlike. Quite capturing of that early Disney romanticism.

Oh for sure. Enchanted Dominion (Field Theme) and Neverland (Battle Theme) in particular are incredibly beautiful. The first one is probably my favorite world theme alongside KH2.5's Land of Dragons (Field theme).

Famassu

There are Days fans?
The story & its importance for the franchise is what it is (90% is boring but the late parts of the game are kinda hype and say what you say about the concept of Xion, her death/sacrifice & being forgotten is genuinely pretty sad), but otherwise it's not a completely unredeemable POS or anything. The combat is adequate enough for a 3d DS action RPG, the leveling up board system is pretty awesome & the game has more interesting level/world designs than 2 (there's actual platforming & shit), the quest system has some replay value and the multiplayer was simple but ok fun. It's bottom tier KH but bottom tier KH is still something one can find some enjoyment in.

NullKaze

The story & its importance for the franchise is what it is (90% is boring but the late parts of the game are kinda hype and say what you say about the concept of Xion, her death/sacrifice & being forgotten is genuinely pretty sad), but otherwise it's not a completely unredeemable POS or anything. The combat is adequate enough for a 3d DS action RPG, the leveling up board system is pretty awesome & the game has more interesting level/world designs than 2 (there's actual platforming & shit), the quest system has some replay value and the multiplayer was simple but ok fun. It's bottom tier KH but bottom tier KH is still something one can find some enjoyment in.

It also has the best script of all the KH games (yes, even the infamous ice cream line)

It brought awesome lines such as:
"Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?"
"We don't accept resignations."
"What are you looking at? ...Oh, dream on. It's not gonna happen, pipsqueak."

and of course, "Roxas, that's a stick."

It's notable that Days is the only game where Nomura penned the script from start to finish and it has the tightest characterisation of all the games.

Am I ready for the Hades cup with the following setup and level?

Sora - Level 67 with Ultima keyblade, two crysyal crowns & a ribbon.
Donald - Level 67 with Fantasia and two cosmic arts.
Goofy - Level 69 with Seven Elements, two Omega Arts, Gaia Bangle & Heartguard.

Top Bottom