• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingsman 2 to Open June 16, 2017; up against Cars 3 at the box office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

Last week, it was revealed that the immediate battle for star Taron Egerton's services had been won by 20th Century Fox. The studio wants Kingsman 2 shooting by April 2016, and as such, the production of Lionsgate's Robin Hood: Origins, to which Egerton is also committed, has been pushed back to the end of next summer.

Which means the coast is clear for Kingsman 2.

Fox has thus now announced a release date for the film too. The movie will arrive in a summer slot, on June 16th 2017. That's a marked contrast to the quieter January bow the first movie got earlier this year in the UK. But then Kingsman: The Secret Service has proven to be one of the big sleeper hits of the year.

Source. I think for once the R-rated film has a chance of beating the animated movie.

Trouble

Banned
Hmmm, won't be the same without Colin Firth who was the best thing about the first one as far as i am concerned :(

Hopefully Mark Strong will return, at least.

I went into that movie knowing absolutely nothing about it. I figured it was a kitschy spy flick with lots of gadgets based on the ads.

I was all "this is a bit more graphically violent than I expected". Then the
church
scene happened. I was wholly unprepared for that.

I fucking love that movie.

Because we need to fix that spycar shit and get back to a racing themed story...

God, that was hard to type

The spy shit was awesome. Cars 2's opening scene on the oil rig was one of the best scenes that year.

It was when it tried to be a Cars movie that it sucked.

Replicant

Yay! for more Taron.

tumblr_inline_nlr7x8BZyH1qiw4z6.gif

tumblr_njeftiwSu41u9wcz1o1_540.gif

Monocle

I'll take it in my eyes, directly. Maximum dose pls.

P.S. Taron should be more naked in this one. That shirtless scene, god damn.

Decado

MV needs to be directing this.

Date is probably a poor choice. Fox is assuming the first's legs will translate into a big ow in the summer? No way it will keep theatres for long during that period.

When was the last successful R-rated action flick (summer release)?

Madness

Not every movie needs a sequel. Kingsman was new and fresh and one of the best movies I'd seen in a while. You just know the shtick will have worn off a bit and while it probably will make more money, just won't be as good. Not a fan of milking any new movie with unnecessary sequels.

Fou-Lu

I am hoping it'll be good. The first one is one of my favorite movies in a long time.

I wonder if they will really go through with bringing Colin Firth back?

SURGEdude

Cars is by far the most popular Pixar franchise of all time.

That's painful to hear. It's pretty much the only batch of shitty Pixar films ever made. I bet it's the reason Disney went balls deep(er) into Pixar though.

MV needs to be directing this.

Date is probably a poor choice. Fox is assuming the first's legs will translate into a big ow in the summer? No way it will keep theatres for long during that period.

When was the last successful R-rated action flick (summer release)?

Yeah, bad date. This kind of movie would do much better during a slow burn season like spring or mid-fall. Getting overlooked by summer's fickle fans is a mistake. Not that Cars is gonna hurt it, but the PG-13+ tentpole shit will.

i don't really like the movie much but I'd watch a sequel if they get some supporting cast as good as colin firth and sam jackson were.

if it relies more heavily on the kid then lol hell no.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I loved the movie, but he said successful. FR barely broke even in American theaters, if memory serves.

Mad Max crawled even worldwide. It hit the 2.5x multiplier. So it was definitely a small success in that front.

The bigger success came from how well reviewed it was and its legs. It will have solid sales on DVDs and may even pick up a few Oscar noms. And with how well it is being hailed by critics, not just technical noms but it could grab an acting and best picture nom.

Toothless

I loved the movie, but he said successful. FR barely broke even in American theaters, if memory serves.

Mad Max did around what Star Trek 09 did WW. WB isn't disappointed and is moving forward. That's successful for me.

Also, Mad Max made more money than Kingsman, which means regardless Mad Max's budget, Kingsman would be very successful with those numbers.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I never really understood how big Cars was until earlier this year when my three year old became basically obsessed with the movie and the characters from it. They have entire toy sections dedicated to cars at Walmart/Target. Disneyland California Adventure has a Cars Land that is seriously an exact replica of Radiator Springs. We were just there, it's fucking insane, especially at night. It makes sense they are doing a Cars 3 and it will probably eventually be the highest grossing Pixar film ever.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
ehhh. loved Kingsman but Firth played a huge role in that. i could have settled for at least Lancelot
tumblr_nnq8wweo0E1tabnb6o1_250.gif

but they're ALL GONE WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom