• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack Review Thread

madmackem

Still have this game on order.

This game looks like its criminally underrated from the footage I'm seeing. I'm not suggesting it's a 9 or 10...but the gameplay and combat look really fun with all the enemy diversity and rather challenging difficulty. It also helps that the game has local co-op, something that isn't as frequent anymore.

The gameplay doesnt look nearly as boring as early vids would suggest.

Sometimes I feel like game reviewers just instantly dismiss titles upon first impression, and it just "sticks".

Such a shame. This looks like a solid 7/8 to me, not a 4 or 5. Especially with the crap that gets 7s or 8s from most review sites...

:[

Pretty much, weve seen first hand these past few weeks at how pig headed game reviews and games media is. I like what ive seen of the game and think it looks pretty decent, i want something different at launch and i think this might fill that place.

Saying " oh they're scoring it bad because it's not a graphical powerhouse and cinematic experience . . . thats unfair" is ridiculous, especially today when indie games that rely on none of the above sell very well and are scored highly among the critics. the game just isn't that special for what it is. compare this game to super mario 3d world and there is no contest on the level of creativity, level design, and gameplay mechanics being put to work. and knack IS a graphical powerhouse and cinematic experience compared to that title. And you know super mario 3d world will score highly.

I don't think Mario 3D world and Knack are even the same genre.
I'm not arguing about the craftmanship of the level design, or how deep the gameplay mechanics are. I'm arguing about the fact that this game was labeled as a 1/5 and, for example, Call of duty: Ghosts ( which reuses assets from previous games, has technical issues that btw no reviewer could even notice before any official announcement) has an average of 8.5/10.
I just think that reviewers might not fully know what they're talking about, or just being insensitive to some particular games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Let's face it. Cerny might be a genius level intelligent guy, but he is not a good game designer.
Dude. Dude?

HE MADE 99% OF CRASH BANDICOOT 2.

Man, these reviews are pretty crazy.
I've been watching streams all day of the game, and it looks like a radical time to be had. And I thought it was going to be a complete piece of crap!

It makes me want a PS4 like, nao.
I dunno. Maybe I'm just dumb or something.

This is one of those moments that will be a blemish on the console forever. If it was just another game then no one would care about it being mediocre, but this game was directed by the guy who fucking made the ps4. And with his level of pedigree I at least expected a 7. This is there is Sony's Haze moment for the 8th gen. We can at least rest assured that this won't kill off Japan studios like that game did to their dev.

mclem

Knack fails to capitalize on its own ideas and structure, and is successful only in acting as a reminder of the shallow, punishing platformers of a time when we really cared about how many bits there were on your console.
Pfft. This is exactly what I've been longing for from a platformer...far too many are streamlined, oversimplified garbage these day.

Did you miss the word 'shallow'?

Funnily enough, what I want from platformers? Platforming.

This is one of those moments that will be a blemish on the console forever. If it was just another game then no one would care about it being mediocre, but this game was directed by the guy who fucking made the ps4. And with his level of pedigree I at least expected a 7. This is there is Sony's Haze moment for the 8th gen. We can at least rest assured that this won't kill off Japan studios like that game did to their dev.

Hyperbole.

I get why its not there, but I would've liked to see Into The Nexus as a PS4 title.
Or even some 2d Captain quark levels.

Ricky_R

Haha wtf is this crap? What does being the lead architect of the PS4 has to do with being able to make a great game?

Him being a succesful game designer would be the reason to expect a good game out of Knack, not because he "fucking made the PS4".

DigitalOp

Banned
I don't think Mario 3D world and Knack are even the same genre.
I'm not arguing about the craftmanship of the level design, or how deep the gameplay mechanics are. I'm arguing about the fact that this game was labeled as a 1/5 and, for example, Call of duty: Ghosts ( which reuses assets from previous games, has technical issues that btw no reviewer could even notice before any official announcement) has an average of 8.5/10.
I just think that reviewers might not fully know what they're talking about, or just being insensitive to some particular games.

I'm very much inclined to agree with you. I don't think reviewers carry a standard and apply that to all games. I have yet to see knack but when compared to just other low scoring games , I'm sure it will standout as an oddball.

I see a multitude of reviews that take points for "repetition" when oddly enough such a concept is the ground basis for gaming. Then I never see these same points taken off for major blockbuster games such as Ass Creed or CoD. I can't help but think the review scale is skewed. Whether subconsciously or not.

szaromir

Banned
I'm very much inclined to agree with you. I don't think reviewers carry a standard and apply that to all games. I have yet to see knack but when compared to just other low scoring games , I'm sure it will standout as an oddball.

I see a multitude of reviews that take points for "repetition" when oddly enough such a concept is the ground basis for gaming. Then I never see these same points taken off for major blockbuster games such as Ass Creed or CoD. I can't help but think the review scale is skewed. Whether subconsciously or not.
The last Assassin's Creed game I played was Brotherhood and you can't slam it for repetition all that much, there's plenty of variety within the game. You have a lot of optional generic missions (assassinations, following, pickpocketing etc), but you might not play them at all, but the unique content makes for a plenty diverse experience (story missions, da Vinci missions, Prince of Persia like caverns, girlfriend missions etc.). I heard the series took a nosedive from there, but Brotherhood definitely deserved its score.

Knack seems to suffer a ton of issues - lack of personality, repetition, very basic mechanics - yes the game appears to be functional and fairly polished on a technical level, but if it does nothing to pull the player in it, the review scores should reflect (as they do).

Bumhead

Banned

Oh please, this isn't even remotely close to being a Haze type situation.

So much hyperbole.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I'll translate from the German review of Assassin's Creed on Gaming-Universe:

On the rating-site:
"Negativ: Gameplay in der Endlosschleife"
"Negative: Gameplay in an infinite loop"

From the closing comment:
"Man sollte sich aber im Klaren sein, dass das Missionsdesign enorm repetitiv ist und man nur, wenn man selbst kreativ ist, eine halbwegs abwechslungsreiche Spielerfahrung haben wird. "
"One should keep in mind that the mission design is enormously repetitive and only players who are playing in a creative way themselves will have a diverse experience"

Also a lot of criticism on the page before. I'm shure other reviews will have pointed these things out, too, I just remembered it for this review.

Bumhead

Banned
Ok fine.

It's their Lair moment :p

Probably more accurate, haha.

At it's absolute worst Knack is just an iffy launch title, on a Day One where alterantive options are plentiful. All systems have them. That's a very different situation to Haze. Haze launched some time after the PS3 launched, was hyped in magazine, billed as the first important exclusive for Sony, with the responsibility of reversing the PS3's appalling launch on its shoulders, made by a respected and high profile studio..

..And then it was Haze. And the rest is history.

Knack might be a bad game (I am yet to play it, but am considering buying it and think it looks better than many reviews suggest) but it doesn't have the same weight of expectation or responsibility on its shoulders that Haze did. Even Sony themselves have positioned Knack as a "second purchase" style of game.

Hugstable

Banned
The last Assassin's Creed game I played was Brotherhood and you can't slam it for repetition all that much, there's plenty of variety within the game. You have a lot of optional generic missions (assassinations, following, pickpocketing etc), but you might not play them at all, but the unique content makes for a plenty diverse experience (story missions, da Vinci missions, Prince of Persia like caverns, girlfriend missions etc.). I heard the series took a nosedive from there, but Brotherhood definitely deserved its score.

Knack seems to suffer a ton of issues - lack of personality, repetition, very basic mechanics - yes the game appears to be functional and fairly polished on a technical level, but if it does nothing to pull the player in it, the review scores should reflect (as they do).

Brotherhood is considered the best in the series besides 2. Go play AC1 and then look at the Beautiful 81 metacritic score. As much as I loved the series, the first game here Only had like 3-4 different missions outside of the main assassination mission, with none that actually used any real stealth at all. Even GTAIV suffered the same type of problems with very samey mission, yet it got praised as all hell.

I still got my copy with me and after watching Shu play last night, I'm probably gonna end up keeping my copy. Also the complaints about the game being simple to control is funny, cause that's usually a positive in Mario games and Crash games. Last I check Crash only had a jump, spin, and duck right? I think he might've been able to pull some rolling move in the duck position but I forget, haven't played the game in years. But still to break up all the Hardcore gaming of Killzone and AC4, I feel that Knack will be awesome to fill.

I'm also honestly surprised this game got a lower score than the PS2 near Launch Beat-em Up the Bouncer. Game was the same thing for all hour and half (probably longer if you count the cutscenes lol) Then again all the games I've listed are a bit older so maybe they don't count anymore.

Deliciously trollish hyperbole aside, it was what I expected from this Game. Even with the Cerny factor it looked rough, and having played it at best buy it didn't show enough improvement to warrant a second look. Wonder why such a talented guy put out such a lukewarm game.

Goldmund

This is the very moment, as the taste of blood from our lips bitten in anxious anticipation dissipates to make way for a bitter memory that can't and never will, -- I dare say this is the moment we realize that the guy who fucking made the PS4 is a timid animal of base intent, a blemish on the entire human race and its sense of mission, reminding every individual that their great aspirations remain forever enveloped by a haze of mediocrity frustrating our descendants' undisturbed view of these aspirations' realizations, forever questioning their worth and dignity, their own worth and dignity and that of their ancestors.

Shady859

Confirmed as first full retail release freebie to PS+ members. I'm sure people will still have fun with it in the release window though. It's like a poor mans Kameo which was awesome in its prime, haven't played since it released.

NIGHT-

Confirmed as first full retail release freebie to PS+ members. I'm sure people will still have fun with it in the release window though. It's like a poor mans Kameo which was awesome in its prime, haven't played since it released.

Kameo still holds up. The game still looks pretty damn good

You know what, none of the casuals know that the creator of the PS4 created Knack. Nobody. It will have no impact or blemish on the console at all. Moms and Dads out running to find a PS4 this holiday are not all the sudden going to say "OMG, We cannot buy Johnny a PS4 because the creator of system made a game that is getting mixed reviews."

The people actually buying the system, unlike yourself, are not going to get all worked up about it. People on message boards may try to get others worked up about it, like yourself.

Bdub

If I was buying a PS4, I'd get this for my 7 year-old. I watched the IGN review last night.

I think the game has a very cool look. My son wouldn't care about the linear stuff and the repetitive play. It's right up his alley.

mclem

no surprise. (please sony buy crash and do one...)

Just owning the franchise wouldn't necessarily mean they'd farm it out to one who could do it justice. I suspect Naughty Dog wouldn't be interested (although I'd kinda like to see what ND-of-today could do with it!)

Mind you, if ND-of-today *did* do Crash Bandicoot, given the reactions to Retro-on-Donkey-Kong, I think the meltdowns could be spectacular :)

Zarovitch

If I was buying a PS4, I'd get this for my 7 year-old. I watched the IGN review last night.

I think the game has a very cool look. My son wouldn't care about the linear stuff and the repetitive play. It's right up his alley.

C'mon as a good parent you should buy Super Mario 3D World, not this bad game. ;)

Ricky_R

I'm torn between keeping this or returning it for another game since it will probably get a discount or be offered for free on PSN+ sooner rather than later.

Vooduu

Why was this game reviewed so harshly? It's main demographic is kids. Are we going to have an OT on Disney Infinity as well?

szaromir

Banned
Brotherhood is considered the best in the series besides 2. Go play AC1 and then look at the Beautiful 81 metacritic score. As much as I loved the series, the first game here Only had like 3-4 different missions outside of the main assassination mission, with none that actually used any real stealth at all. Even GTAIV suffered the same type of problems with very samey mission, yet it got praised as all hell.
GTA4 score was definitely bloated, so was the score of a lot of other games (eg. Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2).

81 for Assassin's Creed 1 was too high, but I played the game in 2008 and think it was a worthwhile experience for despite all the padding and repetition. To this day I remember climbing the cathedral in Acre and being rewarded with an incredible vista. 81 on metacritic is typically not enough to kickstart a new humongous IP, but the game, while lacking in game mechanics and variety, was an incredible historical diorama, does Knack have a selling point like that? I'm not so sure...

Also the complaints about the game being simple to control is funny
Err, the complaints are about simple (and shallow) game mechanics.

spwolf

Man, these reviews are pretty crazy.
I've been watching streams all day of the game, and it looks like a radical time to be had. And I thought it was going to be a complete piece of crap!

It makes me want a PS4 like, nao.
I dunno. Maybe I'm just dumb or something.

it doesnt look like 3/10 or 4/10 on the streams thats for sure...

Basically it got reviews as low as Lair... and Lair was unplayable broken game.

Why was this game reviewed so harshly? It's main demographic is kids. Are we going to have an OT on Disney Infinity as well?

This is a highly stupid mentality. Just because you make something for kids doesn't excuse it being shit. Disney, in particular, has decades worth of classic movies with world class animations and solid storytelling chops that can truly be enjoyed by all ages.

EGM1966

Yeah - Knack is clearly under the spotlight due to timing/Cerny vs what the game is. I do think if they'd had the sense to put it out as a lower price title too it would be faring better.

They risked a game for 7/8 year olds playing with Dad at launch and at least from review perspective in the main gaming press it backfired.

From what I see/read Knack is technically solid, meets its simple design goals and is nothing more or less than a solid cartoon brawler for kids - while I didn't expect it to get 9/10 getting 3/10 and the like is clearly nonsense as a game should literally be a buggy mess to have that score.

But yeah - timing is going to crucify Knack perception.

For the people that are giving it a 3/10, I'd love to know what scale you are judging on. It just seems like people love to throw numbers out without any meaning. You need to design what your number even means.

Let's whip up a system real quick.

1 - Do not play. One of the worst games ever made.
2 - Horrible
3 - Bad
4 - Below Average
5 - Average
6 - Good
7 - Very Good
8 - Great
9 - Incredible. Near perfect
10 - Must play. One of the best games ever made.

I don't see how anyone could give a game like Knack anything under a 5.
It's more like this:

1 - Do not play. One of the worst games ever made.
2 - Do not play, One of the worst games ever.
3 - Do not play, One of the worst.
4 - Do not play, worst
5 - Do not play
6 - Do not
7 - Ehh, try it out
8 -
ehh.png

9 - Great
10 - Wow this game is actually good.

padlock

I don't know. After all the bad reviews yesterday, I was very close to taking the game back, but since then I've watch a few livestreams, and it still looks like fun to me. I think I'm going to keep it.

TheGrue

It's more like this:

10 - No game can ever get a 10! A 10 means it's perfect and there is no such thing as a perfect game!.

Fixed #10 for you based on some people's opinions. In reality, Game reviews are an 8-9 scale with 9 being awesome and 8 being okay. Everything else is crap, apparently.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
Expected around 6/7, but some of the scores are super low. I'm going to still get this on release as It's something I've looked forward to as I used to love Crash Bandicoot as a kid.

I think the game informor article is kind of what I would expect from others in write up, it's a very good score, but even reading the article and them giving it a 7 i'd still think it was a good review.

I was watching everyone stream Knack last night, every single person was having a blast, they said they loved the game, and this was even when people reaching the end of the game.

I'm not sure what the deal is with reviews these days, but when I play this on the 29th, and it's as good as I thought it would be, then I'm seriously not bothering with reviews, and listen instead to more opinions from people on here and in real life, to many times I've played games that are reviewed bad, only to discover them later and love them.

I always find the reviews on youtube by the gaming community who do the reviews for hobbies far far far better and in tune with my tastes. So will stick to them.

Beyond was another game I almost missed, idiots.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know. After all the bad reviews yesterday, I was very close to taking the game back, but since then I've watch a few livestreams, and it still looks like fun to me. I think I'm going to keep it.

Seriously good choice - I did the same as mentioned in my post above and the streams looked really fun, I watched people play COOP, and dude with his girlfriend, and they loved it! :)

mclem

It's curious though, people are criticizing it's focus solely on gameplay and not as much on story and they say it's simplistic, with its combat etc. I wonder if knack was instead an Italian plumber in a red jumpsuit, would they criticize the combat system the same?

How was Wario World reviewed?

Top Bottom