• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima Station Officially Suspended/Konami Apologizes For Concerns

Begaria

sakaguchi.jpg

"Why does this all feel familiar?" Sakaguchi thinks to himself.

Wow. Did Kojima sleep with some exec's wife or something?

I'm really curious as to what's going on. Unfortunately, Konami's policy thus far seems to be to ignore the controversy and hope it goes away.

SerTapTap

How could Konami not wait until one of their biggest releases in years comes out before doing this bullshit? Find it really hard to believe whatever internal bullshit is going on is worth doing all this shit before launch instead of just shutting up for one more year.

I was talking about this in the community thread. I mean there is still a very small chance this is all just a ruse because it's Kojima and if anyone could pull something like this it's Kojima but it's very unlikely.

No way, how about legal repercussions? Konami is a publicly traded company.

This really kills me how Konami is treating Kojima. This man made this company so much paper over the years, and to remove his name from the brand like that is just plain wrong.

All the big old japanese game companies other than Nintendo have shitted on their developers, which is why they've all fallen from grace.

Fury451

Banned
Konami is making it very easy to not want to support The Phantom Pain. I want to, because I prefer the story of Big Boss and I really want to see what Kojima does, but I'm wondering now if the final product we get is the one he wanted to deliver in full.

Taking his name off and pretending like he's not important to the creative direction of the series is pretty insulting.

Man, if we don't find out what happened soon I'm canceling my MGSV preorder and picking it up used. they better have a damn good reason for doing this, otherwise Konami can go right down the crapper

SerTapTap

I was talking about this in the community thread. I mean there is still a very small chance this is all just a ruse because it's Kojima and if anyone could pull something like this it's Kojima but it's very unlikely.

Even Square wouldn't piss off their fans this much for this long just for shits and giggles

Justified

I'm really curious as to what's going on. Unfortunately, Konami's policy thus far seems to be to ignore the controversy and hope it goes away.

Like many posters on here, Kojima thought he WAS Konami, and started making demands. Konamani wanted to show him who is boss.

Actually I wonder what happen also.....

Twookie

Wow that is horrible, I guess MGSV is the last konami game I'll buy (i've only bought MGS games from konami), and I won't buy a MGS game that's not made buy Kojima

Jeez, I'm feeling nervous about even getting MGSV now. Everything from Konami since this happened, especially that BS quote from "Kojima", reeks of damage control. KojiPro probably aren't even working on it anymore.

I don't know but I don't think the reasons were as sudden as it seemed. Kojima's last own tweet (not retweet) was on the same day as a huge executive restructure happened, which was announced weeks earlier.

Jeez, I'm feeling nervous about even getting MGSV now. Everything from Konami since this happened, especially that BS quote from "Kojima", reeks of damage control. KojiPro probably aren't even working on it anymore.

Well KojiPro won't exist from April, if not already, so you're sort of right.

Garou

Uh, that Tweet in the OP has nothing to do with the topic on hand, it just says that Kojima and the staff are busy playtesting and completing such a huge game/Open-world.

The correct tweet is this one: https://twitter.com/metalgear_jp/status/580656383026065409
And it says that they suspend it, but they will announce the next episode when it is ready. So not completely cancelled or something like that. Sounds like crunch-time with not time for fancy videos.

Asd202

I'm really worried about MGSV now. I know know Konami said everything is fine. Kojima is 100% working on it bla bla but I don't believe any of this PR bullshit.

I wanna hear it from the man himself.

Yeah me too I really hope Konami doesn't meddle with the games story...

Konami is making it very easy to not want to support The Phantom Pain. I want to, because I prefer the story of Big Boss and I really want to see what Kojima does, but I'm wondering now if the final product we get is the one he wanted to deliver in full..

This is my biggest concern over anything -- the quality of MGSV being affected by Konami while Kojima-san is no longer there.

Uh, that Tweet in the OP has nothing to do with the topic on hand, it just says that Kojima and the staff are busy playtesting and completing such a huge game/Open-world.

The correct tweet is this one: https://twitter.com/metalgear_jp/status/580656383026065409

Fixed. Thanks!

Repost from the other thread as this seems more appropriate for it

At this point Konami is losing points from me for every action they take. They are just digging deeper into the pit. I just want some honesty from them, we already know what is going on.

Here is my suspicion; Konami naively think they can keep Kojima's exit low key enough as to not kick up a fuss. The idea being they need as many people ignorant of the team change as possible, which means they want to minimise media discussions on the fact that Kojima has disappeared. This is why they removed A Kojima Game from the boxes quietly. This is why they don't cancel Kojima Station until the last possible moment. This is all because Konami want to phase Kojima out of the company stealthily to maximise the number of uninformed gamers who would buy MGS6 without knowing changes had occurred.

In short, Konami is blatantly trying to trick the uninformed, into buying what they know will likely be a bad product in the future.

By extension, this also means Konami has no faith in MGS6, and know they can't count on good reviews to sustain sales.

This means they already know MGS6 is going to be bad. Or expect it to be.

They are going to make a bad game intentionally. Just like SimCity2013.

Yes, this is rather extreme extrapolation. But this is the only logical explanation I could come up with.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
What would there be to rebrand? A podcast with a bunch of execs talking about how excited they are for Konami's MGSV?
Konami don't want you to see, hear or think about the development team.
It's done.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
You know this game seems more and more prescient now.

It's really scary and the whole logos erasing stuff in Ground Zeroes.

CAeMDETWUAEGGUI.jpg:large

or the Kojima rescue mission.

ground-zeroes-ps4-12gkuk8.jpg

Coincidence?

I still have a hard time believing all this.

Haunted

Konami is making it very easy to not want to support The Phantom Pain. I want to, because I prefer the story of Big Boss and I really want to see what Kojima does, but I'm wondering now if the final product we get is the one he wanted to deliver in full.

Taking his name off and pretending like he's not important to the creative direction of the series is pretty insulting.
Here's the thing, and I know that this isn't what most people want to hear, but I think it's what's going to be the case.

If you buy Metal Gear Solid V, you send the message to Konami that it's ok to do this. You might think you're honouring Kojipro's hard work by buying their last game - but Konami will interpret it as tacit agreement with how they handled this situation and that they were right to basically publically sack Kojima and his team towards the end of development because it didn't have any negative consequences on the sales of MGSV.

Here's the thing, and I know that this isn't what most people want to hear, but I think it's what's going to be the case.

If you buy Metal Gear Solid V, you send the message to Konami that it's ok to do this. You might think you're honouring Kojipro's hard work by buying their last game - but Konami will interpret it as tacit agreement with how they handled this situation and that they were right to basically publically sack Kojima and his team because it didn't have any implication on the sales of MGSV.

They aren't going to get bad sales for MGS5, that just is an impossibility. What we need is bad sales for MGS6. Kojima isn't going to be un-sacked, that ship has sailed. Konami needs to get burned by making sure as many people as possible, especially the ignorant masses, understand ahead of time that MGS6 will suck really bad. And this means letting people know how important Kojima is, no matter how hard Konami tried to erase him.

Geez, this is some kind of disaster on Konami's part. I really don't want an "Eyes Wide Shut" scenario with MGSV and be left wondering what could have been.

Top Bottom