• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami announces results;breaks down game sales by platform

Spiegel

RE MGS4 sales

Minsc said:
It's really just amusing that one would substitute in the wording clearly not used in the original article. When Starcraft 2 was announced, I believe it tipped sales of the original back in to some charts. The metal gear series is a much heavier story based game, so I wouldn't be surprised if the previous entries or compilations sold more than normal with the release of a new, anticipated addition to the series. Regardless, it was really just the choice of substituting Konami's chosen use of "series" to a specific title that amused me so much. While MGS4 has sold very well, I am not sure it was well enough to retain 4+ million of the sales out of the 4+ million actual sales from the "series."

http://www.konami.co.jp/zaimu/0809/english.pdf

PAGE 4

Computer & Video Games business: METAL GEAR SOLID 4 GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS for PlayStation 3
was released simultaneously worldwide. Truly overwhelming in scale, this is the first PlayStation 3 title to
use the full capacity of a Blu-Ray Disc. It received accolades even before its release and was honored with
the prize of excellence in the Entertainment Division of the 11th Japan Media Arts Festival sponsored by the
Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs. The total number of the copies shipped has already passed the four
million mark and the sales are still steadily increasing — testimony to the prowess of the METAL GEAR
SOLID brand.

Tiktaalik

gtj1092 said:
Wait they make HD games and not only that the majority of their sales comes from supposedly one of the most expensive games ever made. This can't be right. Or maybe just maybe some company's are mismanaged.

Paracelsus

OldJadedGamer said:
True, if it was multiplatform it would be double that number.

On LaLaLand maybe.

On this planet? Maybe a couple millions more. Very "maybe".

Multiplatform simply splits the userbase and slightly increases it.

Crisis

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Konami is fuucked for post MGS4. What else do they even have going on right now?

If they're smart? Metal Gear Something or Another for PS3. Stick with what works in this case.

Raist

Banned
Minsc said:
It's really just amusing that one would substitute in the wording clearly not used in the original article. When Starcraft 2 was announced, I believe it tipped sales of the original back in to some charts. The metal gear series is a much heavier story based game, so I wouldn't be surprised if the previous entries or compilations sold more than normal with the release of a new, anticipated addition to the series. Regardless, it was really just the choice of substituting Konami's chosen use of "series" to a specific title that amused me so much. While MGS4 has sold very well, I am not sure it was well enough to retain 4+ million of the sales out of the 4+ million actual sales from the "series."

How exactly does that mean that those 4M+ sales aren't for MGS4 alone ?

Paracelsus said:
On LaLaLand maybe.

Not true. Take a look at the recently posted Fallout 3 numbers. They have already sold more then MGS4 did in a fraction of the time and that's not even counting sales in Japan at all and also not having the benefit of being bundled with consoles either. Just two territories, just the game. I'm also going to take a stab in the dark and say that Fallout 3's budgets was a *little* smaller then MGS4's.

No one can deny in this gen with the price it costs to make HD games that it just makes logical financial sense to go multiplatform for non first party published third parties.

Paracelsus said:
On LaLaLand maybe.

What planet are you on? Slightly increases? COD4 is past 10 milli. GTAIV past 10 milli. You couldnt be more wronged.

Spiegel said:
RE MGS4 sales

http://www.konami.co.jp/zaimu/0809/english.pdf

PAGE 4

Computer & Video Games business: METAL GEAR SOLID 4 GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS for PlayStation 3
was released simultaneously worldwide. Truly overwhelming in scale, this is the first PlayStation 3 title to
use the full capacity of a Blu-Ray Disc. It received accolades even before its release and was honored with
the prize of excellence in the Entertainment Division of the 11th Japan Media Arts Festival sponsored by the
Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs. The total number of the copies shipped has already passed the four
million mark and the sales are still steadily increasing — testimony to the prowess of the METAL GEAR
SOLID brand.

Come back Minsc, you seem to have so much to say that I am sure you have something to add to this?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
gtj1092 said:
Wait they make HD games and not only that the majority of their sales comes from supposedly one of the most expensive games ever made. This can't be right. Or maybe just maybe some company's are mismanaged.
They have a nice mix of revenue across all the different platforms including PS2 (except for 360). If you look at the breakdown for Q2 2008 they were working from a solid base of profitability with the non-HD and handhelds, and this year they expanded to the PS3 while maintaining the solid base on the other platforms. EA is a completely different situation, I assume that is what you were referring to.

They've gotten decent business from me so far this gen (first three games on PSP were Konami, just picked up Castlevania EoE and SH:Homecoming 360), but looking forward not so good. Part of that is the dearth of 360 offerings.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
broadwayrock said:
2utiw7q.jpg

Metal Gear is a genre itself. :lol

linsivvi

Regulus Tera said:
Metal Gear is a genre itself. :lol

That's why Kojima will remain a force within Konami. If he says no multiplatform, then the game won't become multiplatform.

On the other hand, I contributed a lot more to that 0.92 music game revenue than anything else.

Manager

PES is a genre too, "Soccer", as well as baseball (whatever that game is called). Music would probably be DDR.

Minsc

Gold Member
OokieSpookie said:
Come back Minsc, you seem to have so much to say that I am sure you have something to add to this?

Sure, I don't mind admitting I'm wrong, where's the MGS4 crow? I have nothing against MGS4 getting those sales, it was just unclear from a quick glance and did look like a mistaken switch to me at first. I stand wrong and corrected. Thanks for your time Spiegel, sorry too not read closer everyone else. That's one of the things I like about GAF, you aren't able to put out incorrect statements for very long :)

Raist said:
How exactly does that mean that those 4M+ sales aren't for MGS4 alone ?

Because they grouped the sales in the initial chart as "series," but as I see now, it is indeed made up mostly by 4 alone.

linsivvi

Manager said:
PES is a genre too, "Soccer", as well as baseball (whatever that game is called). Music would probably be DDR.

And IIDX, Pop 'N Music on PS2, and all the arcade machines sold.

Manager said:

but METAL GEAR is the only one that get the full capital letter treatment. awesome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tiktaalik said:
Konami is fuucked for post MGS4. What else do they even have going on right now?

Hopefully Silent Hill Wii.

If they can get over themselves.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Sorry I was lttp on this one.

chartget-fy20092q-mix.png

It's interesting to compare Konami's unit mix with Ubi's unit mix; different platforms but almost the same exact percentages across the board. Weird, eh?

ubissoft-mix-Q2FY2008.png

manzo

The Take Out Bandit said:
And they send Otomedius to die on 360, thanks for nothing Konami.

Whoa there Bandit. Actually, anything else than 360 would've been the death of Otomedius. Also, it wasn't Konami's decision, Sony turned it down first.

Good news.

MGS4 sold 4 million copies in a few months, already exceeding the 3.6 million that MGS3 sold (which was way down for the franchise).

While not quite the comeback to MGS2 levels, the sales of MGS4 are definitely good and that should mean we will see an MGS5 this generation.

KiNeSiS

Banned
DieH@rd said:
ZOE3 please

Jehuty Rise From Your Gwave!
ab-rise.gif

Wow would of never guessed Ubi sales were stronger on PS3....
Perhaps if this continues multi-plats could switch focus and actually take advantage of the hardware strengths....

Top Bottom