• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Trademarks Harmony of Despair

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Akai said:
Just because the 3DS will be more powerful than the DS doesn't mean that developers can't make 2D-plane games on it. Or at least you'd THINK that will be the case...
I know, but still. Seems that if we assume this would be on the 3DS and (we assume) that the 3DS has a considerably higher resolution screen, then it would be a little harder to make better quality sprites.

I unno though, I'm just assuming

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
ITA84 said:
Am I the only one who sees this? Harmony of Despair - HD.
I think everyone sees it, but no one sees the associated crazy.

Sqorgar

Banned
The last Castlevania I seriously put any time into was Aria of Sorrow, and the last one I actually won was Circle of the Moon. I still buy them, but never play them... except now that I've seen how beautiful they are on the DSi XL... What's the best DS Castlevania game?

Yeah, definitely Castlevania for the DS (highly doubtful for the 3DS)

Though it won't happen; would be cool if it were released on PSN/XBLA

OnPoint

So they're not just recycling sprites anymore, they're recycling subtitle words too?

Aw who am I kidding, I'll still buy it.

farnham

Banned
there was already a harmony title (harmony of dissonance)

but whatever...

i believe this will be a DS title.. good thing that Konami is letting him continue to do his work.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm guessing 3DS, but to be honest I will probably be guessing 3DS for every 'platform unknown' game that gets announced between now and E3.

farnham said:

but whatever...

i believe this will be a DS title.. good thing that Konami is letting him continue to do his work.

It was named "Concerto of the Midnight Sun" in Japan.

Dascu

I would welcome another IGAvania with lovely 2D sprites. Hope they get the same artist from Order of Ecclesia again.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
farnham said:

but whatever...

Didn't stop Dawn Of Sorrow.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I doubt its for the 3DS. For one, the development times don't line up that well. But more importantly, since Castlevania games sell the best outside of Japan, I doubt they would release it on a system thats probably going to only be out in Japan this year*

*yes I'm assuming this title will be out this year and that the 3DS won't make it to the west until 2011.

So yeah, probably the DS's last Castlevania-hurrah

Kurtofan

Cosmonaut X said:
Waltz of Woe?

Aria of Agony?

Or perhaps the downloadable episodic release, Scherzo of Anguish?
:D
To be honest we're a bit unfair to konami: the last games were Dawn of Sorrow,Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Haven't finished Order of Ecclesia yet :eek:. I'm not that interested in another portable Castlevania (had my fill after three GBA 'vanias and three DS 'vanias) unless it goes in a completely new direction. Still, I'd cream my pants furiously for a 2d HD Castlevania. Never gonna happen I guess. Konami should hire the guys at Golgoth, they can't be that expensive.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
grandjedi6 said:
I doubt its for the 3DS. For one, the development times don't line up that well. But more importantly, since Castlevania games sell the best outside of Japan, I doubt they would release it on a system thats probably going to only be out in Japan this year*

*yes I'm assuming this title will be out this year and that the 3DS won't make it to the west until 2011.

Circle of the Moon is one of the best-selling (the best-selling? I don't know) handheld Castlevanias, probably helped a lot that it was a launch-title. Maybe Konami wants to try that again.

GhaleonQ

Freyjadour said:
It was named "Concerto of the Midnight Sun" in Japan.

Nearly all of them are different in Japan, though, some of which aren't music-related. They should be keeping track.

eXistor

I'm always up for a new Metroidvania, but the last couple have been pretty bad. They need to reinvigorate this series quick.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
grandjedi6 said:

I don't think it lines up that badly given Konami's handheld history with the series.

2001: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
2002: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
2003: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
2004:
2005: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
2006: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
2007: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)
2008: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
2009:
2010: ?

The only handheld gap they had in the series was when they switched from the GBA to the NDS. Since we didn't get a handheld Castlevania in 2009, it seems quite possible that they are hoping to get in as a 3DS (near) launch title, which might end up being early 2011 in the West, but would still be in this fiscal year.

bluemax

Banned
lyre said:
If it's of the quality of Order of Ecclesia, then it'll be RPG of the year!
OoE was the first one since HoD that I gave up on well before the end. The flow and random difficulty spikes just weren't working for me.

Assuming that it is a 3DS game, I wonder if they'll make a sidescroller with 3d graphics like the Rondo remake so they can do more with the 3d effect. However he does it though, if Iga is aiming a Castlevania for the 3DS launch he has the opportunity to be a real pioneer in how to present a 2D game in stereoscopic 3D and set a standard for future games to follow. Visual presentation is the one thing Iga and his team are really good at so I think this is a role they are very well suited for and they will be able to make a big impact.

Surprised to see that so many want yet another Castlevania for DS. OoE was pretty damn boring. They aren't even trying anymore.

Top Bottom