• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's new CEO: Mobile is the future of gaming, is Konami's main platform

SmokyDave

I just realised that Metal Gear Solid Touch has been out for six years. Crazy. Definitely want to see what they can do with newer hardware.

Do you have to sit yourself at a table and put your phone on a little stand and hunch forward to squint at a tiny screen? Seems like a disgusting way to play games. I think I'd rather do pretty much anything else with my time than play games on a phone.
I can do whatever I like. Phone or tablet (or output to TV). Clipped in or rested on something. With or without controller. Phone gaming is the portable version of PC gaming where that stuff is concerned. Choices, choices.

Zee-Row

Banned
Japanese companies are so greedy , they want to nickle and dime every cent they can out of you. Its a good thing Indie developers exist. They can make their own Castlevanias and Contras.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Do you have to sit yourself at a table and put your phone on a little stand and hunch forward to squint at a tiny screen? Seems like a disgusting way to play games. I think I'd rather do pretty much anything else with my time than play games on a phone.

You mean, how gamers have played on handhelds for the last 20 years...?

*okay not with a controller - who does that?! :p *

Raysod

Banned
Well it’s not only Konami moving to mobiles, but all major Japanese game makers are making the move to mobile platforms...

From the recent yearly financial report of Konami we have seen that Konami as a company made most of its money in the Digital Entertainment department (game department basically) from their mobile games…

So the move to mobile seems financial logical, but I don't expect Konami to completely move away from AAA multiplatform franchises like Pro Evolution Soccer or Metal Gear any time soon…

chico

from the bottom of my heart. Burn in the deepest fire of hell Konami!!! may your future be a slow and painful death.

Do you think Kojima leave the company because he didn't agree with the direction that the company is going for, or there is something more to it?

impact

Banned

This is why US ignores handhelds, DUH!

Of course we liked them when we were kids and didn't have to drive anywhere. Why cripple my screen size and controls and comfort for no reason at all? Playing handhelds in the house is hilarious.

iPad Mini is the best device for mobile gaming. Perfect screen size, I can sit back or lay in bed and play for hours

Durante

I think the point was, Konami doesn't and never gave a shit. So, telling them to fuck off in any way, shape or form doesn't mean anything.
Sure, but it's very satisfying.

In any case, my point is, we are probably getting a better game out of Iga than we would have ever gotten with Konami anyway, so good riddance.

Mexen

PES 2016 F2P:

Two teams free but 50+ Paid...
Career Mode - £30 to unlock...
My Club - Free (but contracts, players, kits, cost loads of £££)
Options Menu - £5
Ability to save - £1.50 a time....
Unhappy at a result online - £3.00 to erase it from your record....

The future of konami gaming right there.....

coffeeallovermykeyboard.gif
I just realised that Metal Gear Solid Touch has been out for six years. Crazy. Definitely want to see what they can do with newer hardware.

I can do whatever I like. Phone or tablet (or output to TV). Clipped in or rested on something. With or without controller. Phone gaming is the portable version of PC gaming where that stuff is concerned. Choices, choices.

image.php

I don't understand why people are having such a dramatic reaction to this news

Consider what this news means.
Consider the demographic that comprises the largest percentage of this forum.

Its more than just a river in Egypt.

EDIT:
Do you think Kojima leave the company because he didn't agree with the direction that the company is going for, or there is something more to it?

Kojima has openly stated - repeatedly - how fucking sick of making MGS games he is.
Given Konami are being super-clear they don't want to bankroll anything except MGS games, its possible he didn't like the direction Konami are going in, but for completely different reasons than most people sporting A Hideo Kojima Game avatars.

Wakka212

Bottom line:
Konami will have better margins and more frequent smaller games as services w/ ongoing features. These games will target a much larger market of 'gamers.'

On the flip side, Konami will no longer deliver inspired, imaginative, or interesting games to the video game enthusiast market.

I don't see myself caring much for any of their output after MGSV.

commish

This is why US ignores handhelds, DUH!

Of course we liked them when we were kids and didn't have to drive anywhere. Why cripple my screen size and controls and comfort for no reason at all? Playing handhelds in the house is hilarious.

Isn't handheld use something like 85% in the house? It really is crazy, though 99.99% of my 3DS/Vita time is in the house, on my couch, next to my better half.

EatMyFace

Banned
For someone like Konami with virtually no presence in the console space, yeah mobile is their only chance to survive.

For starters, give me a proper Yugioh game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sure, but it's very satisfying.

In any case, my point is, we are probably getting a better game out of Iga than we would have ever gotten with Konami anyway, so good riddance.

I hope that this Igavania is better than the last Igavanias for DS. Hopefully he can shake things up.

Soi-Fong

It is a sad truth unfortunately... Mobile gaming earns a crapton of money all the while investments in making games for it are pretty miniscule.

Bottom line:
Konami will have better margins and more frequent smaller games as services w/ ongoing features. These games will target a much larger market of 'gamers.'

On the flip side, Konami will no longer deliver inspired, imaginative, or interesting games to the video game enthusiast market.
Mobile means you can't have inspired, imaginative, or interesting games?

_Ryo_

Selling features.... as well as items. Just fucking awful.

Just wait, the new silent hill game will be an hd remake of the first game but will have weapons for sell for .99 each, a strict recharge duration for using them that you will have to pay to bypass, as well as 0.99 to charge up walking stamina, 4$ to enable fog, 2$ fo enable the background music, .99 for saving the same, 3$ for voice acting, and 2$ to contine playing the game more than 30 minutes at a time.

BigBossSalute.jpg for Metal Gear Rising 2. I guess maybe there's still a distant, outside chance, though? Konami just writes a cheque, lets Platinum do all the work and then collects their cut? It could happen...

AgeEighty

This is incredibly telling and the first I've seen a Japanese C-level admit it publicly, FWIW: AAA HD titles are being produced almost exclusively for export right now. There's no real base to sell PS4 titles to in Japan, so anything made has to be made with an eye toward export to be profitable. If it's domestic-oriented, it's going to mobile devices.

Really, as angry as I know people are at Konami (and as shitty as they've been to some of their former developers), he's just stating the market reality in Japan. If you want to make enough money to prosper, you develop for mobile or maybe the 3DS. Very little else makes sense right now. It's a grim, grim reality that has a lot of us in the loc biz setting our jaws, but it's there.

It's a strange feeling in gaming right now. In some respects it feels like the industry is prospering like never before, with PS4 selling in unanticipated numbers and Xbox One recovering from its early stumbles, and the PC market booming.

But it also feels like the gaming industry has outgrown sustainable business models. Profit margins are whisker thin. A lot of publishers are not outputting the way they did a few years ago. Fewer risks are being taken; there seems to be more firing than hiring going on. And there is this feeling that there are clouds of impending bust on the horizon for the industry as more and more devs chase the easier profits to mobile.

I wonder if that's the mood across the industry as well.

AgeEighty

*okay not with a controller - who does that?! :p *

Gamers have devices with integrated physical controls. You can connect a controller to mobile devices, but that gets unwieldy.

commish

Selling features.... as well as items. Just fucking awful.

Just wait, the new silent hill game will be an hd remake of the first game but will have weapons for sell for .99 each, a strict recharge duration for using them that you will have to pay to bypass, as well as 0.99 to charge up walking stamina, 4$ to enable fog, 2$ fo enable the background music, .99 for saving the same, 3$ for voice acting, and 2$ to contine playing the game more than 30 minutes at a time.

This is the main problem facing Konami - ignorance. Not to single you out, but so many gamers think this is how mobile games are monetized when they really aren't.

EatMyFace

Banned
Mobile means you can't have inspired, imaginative, or interesting games?
The majority are based around crappy stamina or energy systems that refresh every ten minutes with a gambling system for summoning/drawing monsters.

So no, mobile is not an alternative to console gaming and it never will be. Mobile is Clash Of Clans and Candy Crush and a shitload of clones.

For anyone who's spent any time in Japan, seen how decimated the console and handheld market has been by mobile gaming and how popular the latter is by comparison, this is understandable from a Japanese company. Just a shame they own some of the best console IP's. I hope they farm them off to studios who know what to do with them.

commish

I really doubt that, I dunno where you found those numbers man

Where else do people play them then? In the car? On the bus? In the subway? At work? At school? While they are walking? I'm seriously asking... if not at home... then where?

AAA HD titles are being produced almost exclusively for export right now. There's no real base to sell PS4 titles to in Japan, so anything made has to be made with an eye toward export to be profitable. If it's domestic-oriented, it's going to mobile devices.

Excellent post that bears repeating. You have to acknowledge and accept what's going on in Japanese gaming right now. Many GAF members don't want to face this reality because their love of gaming is so tied to Japan.

Vote with your wallets people. Don't buy MGSV.

I don't know what good that would accomplish except confirm their mobile focus even more. It would only help other companies make the decision to abandon console development. Besides, you know that when it comes down to it, most people here wouldn't have the willpower to actually go through with this. We are blowhards who don't follow through when it counts.

Don't give these greedy bastards another cent, because they obviously don't care about you

I find comments like this hilarious because it implies that the poster thinks that other gaming companies DO care about you. It's all a business. Nintendo and Sony don't care about you. They care about profits. "For the Gamers" is a marketing campaign, not a mantra. A perfectly timed and well-executed one that hurt their competition and led to great success.

People aren't thinking "fuck the PS4 and Xbox one, I'll buy an IPhone 6 instead".

They are in Japan, and frankly families with kids are doing the same the world over. Consoles are going to become a niche market over time.

The majority are based around crappy stamina or energy systems that refresh every ten minutes with a gambling system for summoning/drawing monsters.

So no, mobile is not an alternative to console gaming and it never will be. Mobile is Clash Of Clans and Candy Crush and a shitload of clones.
Sure as long as you pony up those gems to refill your stamina bar, get more lives and speed up your village construction.
Nah, there are myriad premium games with hours of gameplay. I abhor stamina bars, instantly delete any game that has one

Top Bottom