• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Bethesda is misleading gamers about Prey 2, Arkane is in fact making game

Authority

Banned
i don't have a problem with kotaku or anyone else reporting on leaks/rumors, and i think bethesda's response was inappropriate, but come on. the press isn't 'obliged to' publishers, but the same is true the other way around. publishers have business/marketing plans for their games, and (validity of said plans aside,) sticking to them is their prerogative. if it's ok for the press to undermine those plans for their own gain (or face-saving), i'm not sure i understand why it isn't ok for publishers to do the same to the press.

I am not following you. They got discredited from official representatives of both studios and I quote,

Once we were confident in the tip's information and had alerted both Arkane's management and representatives from Bethesda, we published the story. At the time, Bethesda declined to comment.

Bethesda declined to comment but then,

Bethesda's vice president of marketing, Pete Hines and I quote,

“No,” he told RPS when asked if Prey 2 has moved from Human Head to Arkane’s human hands. “All of that stuff, I have no idea where it came from.

which then IGN being IGN and I quote again,

Bethesda: Arkane is Not Involved in Prey 2," wrote IGN. "Recent rumors have proven false".

That is like saying the press should never reveal information because there is always a chance of a company shutting down, people losing jobs, managers getting fired and so on and so forth.

Their job is to report. Nothing more and nothing less. As long as what they report is true and genuine the rest are politics. It is not their job to find the criminal behind the "leaks" or act as a police or police in favor of company's sake and protect it from insiders. And of course he did the right thing not to allow neither IGN or those spokesmen to discredit it him.

Credibility is the first and most important thing to the journalist and for the journalist. Without it, they end up not trustworthy and they are not journalists anymore. They are simply hoaxers.

And for the record, they aren't undermining any plans. Plan(s) got undermined by the person who contacted Kotaku. It is not Kotaku's business on who is who and who does what and for what reason.

There's a pretty good chance FartOfWar is working on this title, so there's some connection to Bioshock at least. Unfortunately he got himself banned somehow...

I thought there was a problem with game being announced TOO early, but now they are trying to drag info out on a game they aren't ready to reveal yet.

Top Bottom