• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Fans Are Ripping The Halo World Championship For Its Shabby Venue

Velikost

That would have happened without this thread.

Maybe, maybe not, but now it definitely will, so I hope you'll enjoy that my guy.

I get that posted this in hopes that people would see this great tournament deserves an equally great venue, but I can almost guarantee that's not what most people are going to take away from this. It's going to be a bunch of people looking at the OP and using this to support the tired "halo is dead" meme.

Anyway, everyone should go tune in to the stream now because Str8 just made a comback from around 50 points down to tie the series with Splyce.

The red power ranger just made a comeback from around 50 robots down to tie the series with the weird tool monster thingy.

IHaveIce

Banned
last meme on this posted by me (meme by zedd, a really good Halo modder)

rOzN4ba.png

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Nah MLG Adam or Allegiance's owner already said they would love to do something and this is not what Halo deserves.

The MLG dream and alg that dropped halo. I don't believe either can save halo. I sure as shit don't think a smarmy halo community will save halo either

$99 for that main stage seating which houses like 30 people? You can do better with a normal house fan gathering.

MS needs to hype up their IP if they continue to keep pushing the game and this is another hit to IP decline.

belushy

Banned
Also hoping they push a PC HCS scene with future titles if they release on PC. They could be run separably, I think Rainbox Six and Smite both have multi-platform leagues.

Oh and get true LAN back in the game for local tournaments. Can still use the private dedis for the main events like they do now.

IHaveIce

Banned
$99 for that main stage seating which houses like 30 people? You can do better with a normal house fan gathering.

MS needs to hype up their IP if they continue to keep pushing the game and this is another hit to IP decline.

yep, advertising this league, putting in a lan mode etc would do wonders.

Madness

The MLG dream and alg that dropped halo. I don't believe either can save halo. I sure as shit don't think a smarmy halo community will save halo either

Again did you not see what MLG did with Gears. It is clear as crystal they shit on what ESL can do in terms of LAN tournaments. Let ESL handle pro league but get MLG back for the venue events. Or hell even Gfinity who also do a great job. ESL and Millenial eSports haven been given enough chances. It reminds me of AGL withe Halo 4. MLG Adam has said they want to work with Halo to make it successful. Without Halo there wouldn't be MLG. But they hardly get any respect.

They flew these people to this event for the singular purpose of marketing and branding. To talk on social media about how cool and awesome and hype it is.

Don't blame the people complaining that it backfired.

Zasa

If the population simply isn't there to watch or attend why have a large venue? Seems like a waste of money. The problem likely isn't the venue being picked but simply the appeal of Halo and the interest level in watching it that causes a smaller venue in the first place.
No, the interest is there as plenty of other events prove this. Just horrendous decisions by ESL/343 to designate this venue for ants. This was also a closed event.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Again did you not see what MLG did with Gears. It is clear as crystal they shit on what ESL can do in terms of LAN tournaments. Let ESL handle pro league but get MLG back for the venue events. Or hell even Gfinity who also do a great job. ESL and Millenial eSports haven been given enough chances. It reminds me of AGL withe Halo 4. MLG Adam has said they want to work with Halo to make it successful. Without Halo there wouldn't be MLG. But they hardly get any respect.

I don't watch gears, so no I didn't. If they can save halo, I'm on board. 343 and esl certainly have room for improvement but they also aren't working with much these days

Gusto

I was at the Capcom Cup 2016 top 32 and the venue looked even worse. On Twitch the place looked hype as f*ck. I guess that's really all that matters, no?

Does every game really need to be esports?

To be fair Halo has been around esports for along time. It was pretty big at one point but the drop of population with Halo Reach and then Halo 4 and MLG dropping Halo all hit it pretty hard which is a big shame since 343i did plenty to support H5 and arguably it's one of the better multiplayer Halo games.

It does deserve more attention in all honesty.

BradC00

The problem is this is what the viewership/attendance deserves. Sadly. Mocking it will only decrease interest.

i enjoy watching halo and usually watch the league games during the week and the tournies during the weekend. what op ivy says is true, there just isn't that much interest to rent out a bigger venue or get fancier food trucks when only 50-100 people (which includes players and their families) are going to be attending. i agree that some of the stuff is bush league level crap like the entrance, but the inside looks like a typical FPS venue minus barely any people inside. i think if they want to do something grander, they should combine gears and halo events. not sure what the beef is between MLG and 343/Microsoft, as much as adam says he wants to bring halo back to MLG, there's got to be something holding it up.

eggandI

Banned
Halo is an esports since 2001/2002????

Halo 2 and Halo 3 were a predecessor and kickstart for one of the now most succesfull esports organisations "MLG" ?

Yeah and that was a long time ago. Halo fell off years ago. You can't really force something to be a popular esport

Madness

Yeah and that was a long time ago. Halo fell off years ago. You can't really force something to be a popular esport

Halo 5 HWC 2016 broke 100k viewers on twitch for the finals... competitive Halo did not fall off because of the players or the community. But because of the creators. Halo 4 was a disaster in terms of pro play and MS with their boneheaded no LAN design for Xbox One where they have to have private server stuff for Halo 5 to simulate LAN, 343 insistence to partner with shittier companies like Millenial eSports. Even Gears and Jack from the Coalition had the foresight to work with MLG for NA. And Gears has a fraction of the money, playerbase and support.

IHaveIce

Banned
Shitty game. Shitty Venue.

Tournament is going great though, reminds me of the potential Halo has

Yes, games are great, no doubt.

Also for the people who asked why Pros are complaining, a lot of them come from the MLG Halo time and are used to something better, hell even the Halo 4 Global Championship thing was better

Blueblur1

EVO 2016 SFV Finals.

SFV-Evo-2016.jpg

Well, to be fair, there are people in that audience that stayed after watching other fighting games.

But yeah Halo's appeal has waned and continues to diminish. All drama about this venue aside, not enough people care about Halo to fill huge venues.

eggandI

Banned
Halo 5 HWC 2016 broke 100k viewers on twitch for the finals... competitive Halo did not fall off because of the players or the community. But because of the creators. Halo 4 was a disaster in terms of pro play and MS with their boneheaded no LAN design for Xbox One where they have to have private server stuff for Halo 5 to simulate LAN, 343 insistence to partner with shittier companies like Millenial eSports. Even Gears and Jack from the Coalition had the foresight to work with MLG for NA. And Gears has a fraction of the money, playerbase and support.

How are the regular tournaments doing though? I almost never see halo near the top of the twitch games and halo 5 has been out for a while.

'twas inevitable, granted.
lmao I'm embarrassed for you

jelly

Halo PC might give it a shot in the arm come Halo 6.

Halo MCC would get a good community around it too.

There is wins if Microsoft wants them.

Madness

How are the regular tournaments doing though? I almost never see halo near the top of the twitch games and halo 5 has been out for a while.

lmao I'm embarrassed for you

Somewhat poorly. Not too many LAN events. They did get more near the latter end of the year. But a lot were pretty poorly run. Things like not providing water to pros in Orange County etc. They did average 20k or so. Naturally there is a drop off, but 1/5th viewership of a year ago is a lot for the world championships, $1 million dollar tourney. Again, the game and pros and casting and play has been great. Just the overall tournaments haven't been well run. Some even went past like 2am PST/5am EST.

Top Bottom