• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Fans Are Ripping The Halo World Championship For Its Shabby Venue

Madness

Halo Community, blink if you need to be rescued

giphy.gif

Didn't see this till now, for 1 million bucks would think the venue would look much nicer...last venue was pretty nice. Who is fault for this I assume ESL? Read some shit that they weren't able to secure the venue they wanted so they moved it to some campus?

I mean Halo ain't as big as it use to be but it's still big and I am sure it deserves a better setup then this. Not a good look.

trixx

Hard times. I honestly don't know what they should do to rejuvenate the franchise. Perhaps a reboot, and just go all out with it.

Props to 343 for assembling Elamite, Side, Walshy and T Squared for the casting team plus stumping up big prize money. There's room for improvement but given the state of the competitive scene circa 2013, I'm grateful I still get to watch compelling, high level Halo play at an event at all. Thoroughly enjoyed what I've watched so far, as I have most Halo 5 tourneys. If only they'd have used the new radar for Worlds.

jem0208

When you start trying to rip on someone's job because they made a dopey post about halo esports, you're not being chill. I'll move on though.
Alright fair enough, I am a little butthurt and I apologize about the shitrag comment.

It just frustrates me when people come in to talk shit about something I'm quite passionate about when they know nothing about it.

Alright fair enough, I am a little butthurt and I apologize about the shitrag comment.

It just frustrates me when people come in to talk shit about something I'm quite passionate about when they know nothing about it.

No sweat. Happens a lot on gaf sadly. You expect enthusiasts to know better and it can be frustrating for sure.

Gator86

Man, some people are hilariously salty over someone suggesting people don't care about Halo anymore. Don't be so defensive. You guys have balloons to cheer you up.

And thats why it has such low player base?
It really isnt.

Times have changed, Halo 2 was sorta in a league of it's own when COD/BF1/etc were not as popular as they are now especially on consoles. Unless you have exact player base numbers I wouldn't say the player base is low.

Doing just fine.

Most People are ripping on Microsoft being cheapos, not competitive Halo

Huh.... I came in expecting to be more pissed at the gaming community blowing things out of proportion. But that's pretty shabby for a huge property like Halo.

Blueblur1

Yeah, Halo was quickly outshined by COD when MW rolled around. Its never going to have the captive audience it once had but I would argue that 343 has done a poor job of satisfying the fanbase they had left (outside of the tens of thousands that remain). People don't come back after massive misfires like Halo 4 and MCC when there's so much other stuff out there (games or otherwise).

mrlion

Times have changed, Halo 2 was sorta in a league of it's own when COD/BF1/etc were not as popular as they are now especially on consoles. Unless you have exact player base numbers I wouldn't say the player base is low.

Doing just fine.

From a business standpoint...its not doing fine lol. You can't just lower your prize pool from 2.5 mil to 1 mil in a year and change it to a smaller venue for a major that just doesn't happen. Yeah it has 20k viewers on the stream, yeah its getting some attention but what you're seeing is actually pretty alarming...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I was out of line with my initial post too. Could've worded it better, but sometimes the snark gets too strong.

Still, I do know more than I care to about Halo as an eSport, despite not enjoying it. Probably the reason why Schadenfreude took hold of me.

No hard feelings towards its fans, though. I hope Microsoft sticks with it if only for the sake of people who are passionate about it like yourself.

Most People are ripping on Microsoft being cheapos, not competitive Halo

I don't think its Microsoft organizing the event, from what I'm reading this is kinda on ESL. Could be wrong but that's what I saw a few people saying. Whoever it is though, 1mill bucks...can certainly do better than that.

Yeah, Halo was quickly outshined by COD when MW rolled around. Its never going to have the captive audience it once had but I would argue that 343 has done a poor job of satisfying the fanbase they had left (outside of a couple remaining thousand). People don't come back after massive misfires like Halo 4 and MCC when there's so much other stuff out there (games or otherwise).

MCC was a huge turn off for me. I used to love halo when I was younger, but that kind of took the wind out of getting me back. Tried 5, but for various reasons, it didn't hook me. Still fun enough to play once in a while, but I don't care for it much.

213372bu

Banned
jem is almost always full aggro in every thread, calling it out every once in a while isn't something you should feel sorry for.

Blueblur1

MCC was a huge turn off for me. I used to love halo when I was younger, but that kind of took the wind out of getting me back. Tried 5, but for various reasons, it didn't hook me. Still fun enough to play once in a while, but I don't care for it much.

I bet you'd be much more receptive to Halo 5 had you came back feeling good about Halo instead being wary of it after MCC. Those misfires coupled along with weaker elements of Halo 5 have not helped the franchise at all.

Madness

DykOVFY.png

When someone as cheerful as Ninja and someone who was still happy for Halo 4 and streamed it is criticizing the scene, step back and look at what you're doing. It is one thing for fans to be upset, quite another for pros.

Definitely a step down, but I wasn't surprised to hear this. Interest in competitive Halo has it's ups and downs. It certainly seems this is a low point, but i'm not an expert on the competitive scene.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I don't think its Microsoft organizing the event, from what I'm reading this is kinda on ESL. Could be wrong but that's what I saw a few people saying. Whoever it is though, 1mill bucks...can certainly do better than that.

It seems to be on ESL because their preferred venue fell through. When doing something like this, you should have an acceptable plan B. This was not an acceptable plan B. While that is on ESL, if you are Microsoft, you should have some involvement as well to make sure everything is going right. This reflects on you as well. Not the end of the world, but learn the lesson.

I bet you'd be much more receptive to it had you come back feeling good about Halo instead being wary of it after MCC.

Maybe, but I wasn't all that wary tbh. I understood that MCC was kind of a patchwork game. I just prefer classic halo I guess. Big issue at launch for me was the aiming. When I tried it again later after they patched it, it was much more enjoyable. The focus on warzone was a major turnoff too. I did try forge on PC a couple months back and got in a classic halo match and it was fun enough.

I think my tastes just changed as I got older.

Goldboy

Yeah, I really feel like MCC was their last chance for a lot of people. I personally know a ton of people who hadn't played Halo in years who picked up MCC to get them back into the franchise, only to be disappointed and go back to not caring about Halo.

It's upsetting as someone who loves Halo and wants it to do well.

jem0208

jem is almost always full aggro in every thread, calling it out every once in a while isn't something you should feel sorry for.

Am I?

That's news to me.

How would you even know? 95% of my posts are in the Halo OTs which I don't think I've ever seen you in.

Why compare it to COD?
We all know COD is a much bigger esport and franchise that days, this has been the case for years.

Do you expect it to be held in a massive arena with 150 people (this is a typical 2017 halo land audience) in attendance?

Top Bottom