• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "Injustice 2's Facial Animation Is So Good It's Uncanny"

Very impressive. I look forward to watching the cutscenes on Youtube. It's a shame I don't enjoy playing the actual fighting game portion of NRS's games. I find their gameplay very mediocre compared to other FGs but I'll still pick it up when it gets cheap enough and give it a shot just to make my way through the story mode.

Thorhald

Is this 100% confirmed?

Hmm. Their materials seriously look like UE4 mats so I assumed that the website was referring to the console version. If it is UE3 they have done incredibly impressive work to the renderer

As mentioned above - we are using a HEAVILY modified UE3 engine for the console version. Mobile moved to UE4.

So glad you guys like the game :)

As mentioned above - we are using a HEAVILY modified UE3 engine for the console version. Mobile moved to UE4.

So glad you guys like the game :)
Wow, are you with the NRS team? You guys have really outdone yourself with this game.

I've always been a casual fan of NRS games but I'm gonna try and get serious with this one. This game is shaping up to be a fantastic fighting game and I can't WAIT to get my hands on it (Darn you UK release dates!)

Looks cool, but I still think that L.A. Noire is better. Maybe it's a acting thing, but who am I to tell?
klhczv7.gif

Those aren't actually animations. They're literally video. Besides, as others have said, you must have picked out a good example, because it can look absolutely bizarre from time to time.

Bold One

These look fantastic, Well NR, this game was not on my radar at all.

UC4 is still the gold standard, but props where its due.

ShutterMunster

They look really good overall especially for a fighting game. I don't expect them to be on par with an Uncharted 4 but the fact that they've gotten as close as they have is impressive. I'm speaking to facial animation only, obviously.

The game looks so good it makes me wish I liked the combat more. I bought IJ 1 when it came to PS4 but I just couldn't grasp the rhythm of the combat, so I gave up.

jett

D-Member
They look really good overall especially for a fighting game. I don't expect them to be on par with an Uncharted 4 but the fact that they've gotten as close as they have is impressive. I'm speaking to facial animation only, obviously.

The game looks so good it makes me wish I liked the combat more. I bought IJ 1 when it came to PS4 but I just couldn't grasp the rhythm of the combat, so I gave up.

I actually think I2's faces emote "more" than UC4's. It's like they have more muscles in their faces or something. Unlike UC4 you can almost lip read what the I2 characters are saying. I think they used a more complex method of motion capture, but I really have no idea, I'd be interested in reading how they did their facial animation, it's really impressive.

Astral Dog

People are going to love these cutscenes 😢
Finally,they make the new hardware justice.

i just watched the whole 2 hour movie and its very rare a game cutscene (fighting no less) gets my attention for that long,well acted.entertaining and very good looking BRAINIAC

Newboi

Touche'

You are correct

According to Wikipedia, they are using UE4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetherRealm_Studios

The Wiki Page says Injustice 2 uses Unreal Engine 3 for the PS4 and Xbox One versions.

The only Unreal Engine 4 mention on the page is for the Android and IOS version of IJ2.

Anyway, I absolutely agree that IJ2 has some of the most believable facial performance capture I've ever seen in a game. I kind of wish the actual eyeball movement was a little more natural, but the actual facial animation makes me hardly notice it. The scene transitions and overall production value of the game is unbelievable to me! It's almost too good. I've watched the first hour of the game's story mode and I have to say, the acting, the voice work, and even the writing is beyond top notch. I was actually riveted watching only an hour of it.

Man, I want to get the game really bad, but I'm holding out for a PC version. I'll primarily be playing this solo anyway, so I don't need a massive online community to sustain me. I do wonder how likely a port is to happen though. I know there was a lot of complaints about the PC's lake of MKXL's online changes until they finally showed up on the platform. I was under the impression the PC version sold pretty well though.

Parsnip

Cutscenes look real nice. It was the first thing I noticed when I was watching the GB quick look. Especially compared to their past showings.

Every time Harley spoke in cutscenes, my jaw dropped.

NetherRealm joined the ranks of Naughty Dog and Guerilla with the tech in this one.

Darknight

Legit shockingly good. There is nothing there that throws off my "This is fake" radar in terms of animation. It looks absolutely convincing.

Only thing that ruins this is the odd texture work of Green lantern. Like the guys looks too young to sport that stash or just looks out of place in general.

Top Bottom