• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Kotaku) Nintendo Fan Unhappy With Nintendo’s $200 Answer to His $400 Wii U Problem

Purchases need to be tied to accounts, not to machines - and this sort of tale makes it clear why. How many times will people willingly re-purchase the same games?

i think it's ridiculous going into CVS and finding separate point cards for the wii u, wii, 3ds, and dsi
Four different stores completely seperate from one another.
Three different currencies.
Two stores use the same currency but the wallets arent connected.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
What a confusing thread! The guy I wrote about in the OP's post is not the guy in the second post. In fact, the guy in the second post e-mailed me about his happier encounter with Nintendo, which I'll post about on the site today. But, yeah, the original guy is still unable to access the $400 worth of games he downloaded.

kinggroin

Banned
You guys think the Wii U will last long enough to see Nintendo's implementation of untethered network accounts, come to fruition?

Seriously you should write the journalist who wrote the story in OP. Kotaku likes hits, follow-up stories generate hits, companies don't like bad PR, maybe it'd get fixed. Strike while the iron is hot!

I guess the reporting of Kotaku has it's place in this world. Things probably would get addressed faster than they would if everyone just complained on message boards scattered throughout the internet.

Eh, you guys are ridiculous.

I think you mean despicable.

You guys think the Wii U will last long enough to see Nintendo's implementation of untethered network accounts, come to fruition?

It's interesting that they haven't actually responded to this. It seems they either have no intention of fixing it and don't understand that it's a serious issue, or they're keeping quiet until they've a solution ready to implement.

As it stands currently, the Wii U is a still-born. with all these problems and 3rd parties complaining and jumping ship/cancelling projects. It's getting pretty obvious that the Wii U is a Japanese focused console pushed out of its comfort zone to be laughed at by the western world and developers. It'll probably survive as HD budgeting costs lower so small Japanese devs can make Anime Karaoke games for it and that'll be that.

E3 will see Nintendo games but it only did so much to sell the Gamecube.

Pillville

Microsoft makes a mistake (RROD) -> Whatever
Sony makes a mistake (PSN hacked, YLOD, otherOS issues) -> Whatever
Nintendo makes a mistake -> Gives dude $50 extra dollars on top of crediting him for everything -> LOL ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP!

MS and Sony made mistakes and fixed them. They never intended for these things to happen.

Nintendo did not make a mistake. They sat down and designed the system to work this EXACT WAY.

Thread inspired me to try again. Just sent this email to Nintendo Customer Service

I have been in contact off and on with Nintendo Customer Service for a few years now, trying to get my Wii shop purchases transferred to my replacement Wii (Supposedly all the notes on this are linked to my Club Nintendo account) and for years I have been told it is impossible. So imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon this story: http://nintendofunclubpodcast.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/nintendo-customer-service-rules/

Why is this person able to get his purchases transferred, but I am unable? I spent over $400 on WiiWare and Virtual Console games on my old Wii, and then have even purchased a bunch on my 3DS as well as some purchases on my Wii U. I am a loyal Nintendo customer and have been since I first received my NES for Christmas in the late 1980s. I don't understand why a loyal customer for years, purchasing consoles and games on release day, cannot get these purchases transferred. Is it because I'm expected to just keep buying things, since I have the history? I just don't get it. It seems that the only way to get purchases transferred is to go to some sort of gaming media site or blog or something and start raising a stink. I don't want to do that though, because I love the games that Nintendo makes. I just want to be able to play the games that I purchased. Why is that so hard to ask for? There is a thread on NeoGAF.com about this story, and I've posted in it myself briefly about my experience trying to get my purchases transferred, but to be honest I feel kind of scummy doing that. I just want to be able to play my purchased games.

Please forward my message to someone that can help me with this. I find it obscenely unfair that others are able to get purchases transferred but I am not. I find Nintendo of America becoming harder to support for a few reasons, and don't know how much longer I can remain a Nintendo buyer. It's ridiculous.

(name, phone number)

Draft

Nintendo is terrible at everything but making games. Iwata needs to just suck it up, slice off a pinky and take the company third party.

clear31

i understand it because i have all the systems but i just think its a bit much. there has to be a way to make one or two cards

Tobor

Nintendo_seal_of_quality_zpsa16459d0.jpg

Yeah, I got burned heavily by this. I made a huge mistake by doing the transfer of my 50+ VC games and then selling the Wii that they came from, and then selling the Wii U. Some people are gonna look at this and say "well ur dumb" but honestly this shouldn't be a problem whatsoever by today's standards. Not getting another Wii U until Nintendo gets this online account shit sorted out. They really lost me with that.

You know, it may be different if the Wii U were like... a completely different system. And, it is, but it has a Wii mode, it's only one letter different, the console even looks roughly the same, you can access the original Wii shop... the functionality is there. This isn't like going from N64 to Gamecube. There is no reason why you can't just have your Club Nintendo account "show" the Wii U what games you've purchased and are entitled to. If it is some kind of licensing issue, whatever, I just wish Nintendo would have been more vocal about it. They didn't tell us anything. We didn't have a fucking clue about how anything VC related was going to go down on the Wii U until the week of release.

They kept information back and failed to initiate some kind of reasonable account solution, but instead stuck with something from the Wii's stone age. So yeah. I made some "mistakes" but the only reason those could be seen as mistakes is due to Nintendo's incompetence. If Durango or Orbis won't let you transfer digital purchases over, hopefully Sony and Microsoft will at least inform us of everything first.

I wouldn't even have a problem with paying that very small fee that they announced. I would pay that $1 or $1.50 to have every single VC game I've bought to be "game pad enhanced" or whatever. The problem is that I won't even be able to do that regardless of having a Club Nintendo account that reveals the VC games that I have bought and am entitled to. But, who knows, maybe that will be possible at some point. Unlikely though.

What a confusing thread! The guy I wrote about in the OP's post is not the guy in the second post. In fact, the guy in the second post e-mailed me about his happier encounter with Nintendo, which I'll post about on the site today. But, yeah, the original guy is still unable to access the $400 worth of games he downloaded.

Oh shit what a mess. this thread is as messy as a Nintendo online store.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's Kotaku, but this is the story (and others like it) games media needs to pick up and run with.

Given Nintendo's answer about their digital policy in the OP story, and other tidbits through the years, my guess is: no, Nintendo is not "derpy stupid" in the way people keep saying. They know how their digital store works. Rather, they are too cautious about committing yet to the infrastructure required for an Xbox Live style digital store, back-end, and service.

With the NNiD accounts, the information does seem to exist btw. Your account does record your purchases, etc. Nintendo simply doesn't have the automated back end to allow users to manage their own account authorizations from outside Nintendo. Another reason they could be dragging their feet is that they're afraid of exploits in whatever system they'd devise - allowing purchase sharing or duplication.

In the end this is something they need to be publically shamed over - and games media making this a hot topic might also inform the average person who has no clue, just what the limitations of Nintendo's digital stores are. That translates into fear on Nintendo's part of lost digital revenue.

kinggroin

Banned
Nintendo is terrible at everything but making games. Iwata needs to just suck it up, slice off a pinky and take the company third party.

You know, I've never actually sat down and pondered this. What kind of effect would we see on the business? More exposure, but harsher competition? Maybe their franchises become the evergreen selling multiplatform monsters like CoD? Will they favor Sony or MS more? Will see a return to a purer, more traditional style for their staple franchises considering the input method? Kinect based Nintendo games? What happens to the handheld division?

You know, I've never actually sat down and pondered this. What kind of effect would we see on the business? More exposure, but harsher competition? Maybe their franchises become the evergreen selling multiplatform monsters like CoD? Will they favor Sony or MS more? Will see a return to a purer, more traditional style for their staple franchises considering the input method? Kinect based Nintendo games? What happens to the handheld division?

They should just stick with handhelds, in all honesty.

once Nintendo establishes where they stand on the digital sphere, i'll consider them as a company that is worthy of making a game console; as of yet, people who owned account-tied systems will never consider console-tied wiiu as a good system .

What happens to the handheld division?

This is what's been keeping them alive throughout the hard times (N64, GC), and is arguably the most important division in their company. This is why they'll never go third party, they still maintain a stranglehold in this department, especially in Japan.

Just go into any Mediacreate thread, and you'll know this to be true.

EDIT:- Beaten by Solstice. Dammit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

From bad with online accounts to everything. Jesus talk about hyperbole.

Forkball

Why there isn't a coherent account system is truly boggling. Didn't Nintendo say they were going to make it so that all your purchases, on Wii U and 3DS, are linked to a single account?

Why there isn't a coherent account system is truly boggling. Didn't Nintendo say they were going to make it so that all your purchases, on Wii U and 3DS, are linked to a single account?

They should just make it your Club Nintendo account. Think about it. You get rewards through Club Nintendo from purchases and stuff. This should link 100% to your consoles. Redeem a reward through Club Nintendo? BAM! It shows up for download on your Wii U / 3DS.

With the NNiD accounts, the information does seem to exist btw. Your account does record your purchases, etc. Nintendo simply doesn't have the automated back end to allow users to manage their own account authorizations from outside Nintendo. Another reason they could be dragging their feet is that they're afraid of exploits in whatever system they'd devise - allowing purchase sharing or duplication.

It's one thing for them to keep records of what people have bought, but quite another for them to have a robust DRM system on the console. And that's really something they needed to have implemented right from the outset on the 3DS and Wii U. As it is now, if they want to switch to something more modern, they pretty much have to rebuild everything from the ground up. It's because of that, and their stated commitment to focusing on improving the speed of the Wii U interface, that I can't see Nintendo changing policies this generation. I would say it'll be a no-brainer for their next console but it's been a no-brainer for every console they're released since the Wii, yet they still haven't done it!

jcm

Update: (Kotaku) Nintendo Fan Pretty Happy With Nintendo’s $570 Answer to His $400 Wii U Problem, though.

I think you're confused. There are multiple people being discussed. There's the $400 guy in the original story, who got $200. There's the $570 guy in the second post, who got $630. And then there's Like the hat?, who is also a $400 guy but got bupkis.

Mzo

They don't have to pay for the upkeep and maintenance of a proper online system, and tons of people right here on GAF bought the new Fire Emblem from the eShop at the same price as retail, giving them a billion percent profit.

Why do they need to fix this again?

Haunted

I think you're confused. There are multiple people being discussed. There's the $400 guy in the original story, who got $200. There's the $570 guy in the second post, who got $630. And then there's Like the hat?, who is also a $400 guy but got bupkis.
oh, I didn't realise. The second post made it sound like it was the same guy!

In any case, Nintendo's shitty account system deserves all the ire and bad publicity and will hopefully make them rethink their approach.

IrishNinja

its funny how kotaku ran that story and the OP posted it and not 3 minutes later, the 1st post kills the story.

i thought that too, but then the bigger story should be the account system creating the need for this mess - DD systems operate on faith, and they're not instilling much with this archaic roundabout. i'm okay buying the 30 cent promo games for now, but anything large and i'm gonna need something more reassuring than "keep a police report handy"

*edit wait its 2 different guys, so not even this issue got resolved, damn

He needs to face reality, "The ultimate Virtual Console library" isn't possible on a Nintendo platform.

true, the Saturn's hardware kinda prevents this

That's what pisses me off. They have the record of purchases sitting there.

see when i was just thinking about a 3DS a while back, i asked about user accounts and a few gaffers stated just that, the linking to Club Nintendo accounts should have your purchases right there...and when i was recovering titles from an ambassador unit, calling NOA got everything fixed & even got my survey coins well after the expiration, so i thought the same...not at all ideal, but workable.

it's the recent stories like this that really show how broken a system it is

PetrCobra

This is precisely the reason I don't buy almost any games online on Nintendo systems, even though sometimes I'd very much like to. I'm a Nintendo fan as well.

I do want to use their digital stores, of course. Many great looking game in there. The moment their account system is on the level of Steam, I'm in.

Emitan

I'm a huge Nintendo fangirl but I'm so nervous about purchasing digital content from them. Why are they stuck in the 20th century?

Fox Mulder

I sold my wiiu, but it's a sad problem I want to see them fix. There's no excuse for needing police reports, customer service begging, and running to kotaku to be able to manage your digital purchases.

They have the best back library in the industry to put on the VC, plus stuff like metroid prime trilogy and Xenoblade could be sold digitally and completely avoid the out of print hikes. Think of the niche stuff they could do without having to worry about printing runs.

I would love to buy their stuff digitally, but not under the current system.

jimi_dini

Microsoft makes a mistake (RROD) -> Whatever
Sony makes a mistake (PSN hacked, YLOD, otherOS issues) -> Whatever
Nintendo makes a mistake -> Gives dude $50 extra dollars on top of crediting him for everything -> LOL ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP!

Microsoft's RROD was absolutely Microsoft's fault. It was a rushed design issue. So abusive relationship there as well. "This is my 5th 360 within 1 year, but I totally love it and I love Microsoft". "I also really love to pay for Xbox Live, lag is so much better on 360".

Sony didn't hack PSN themselves. Stuff on the Internet gets hacked. It's nothing new. At least they shut it down instead of leaving it on and doing as if nothing happened (Fifa hacks cough). YLOD was not RROD levels, not at all, some hardware breaks - that's normal. OtherOS - if I used it, I would have been pissed. But AT LEAST I understand why Sony did it, because I understood that PS3 wouldn't have been hacked without OtherOS/Linux and they needed to close it down. I like my console games hack free. On the other hand, anyone defending Sony over 599$, rumble is last gen aka no rumble, fucked up half-software/half-hardware backward compatibility although 600EUR and all the other shit they pulled before that is in an abusive relationship as well.

And Nintendo? I really loved Nintendo, but they fucked up Wii U so bad in all sorts of ways. No optical out. No Dolby Digital/DTS support. Not even dual audio out. Stereo for Video-On-Demand because of that. Digital downloads still tied to one console. Accounts limited to 1 console in total. No universal wallet. Overscan issues. Hardlock issues. Hour-long updates. And instead of just putting all the virtual console content on Wii U, they just included a Wii menu and let everyone wait for years again for all the content to appear on Wii U eShop, so that it's playable on the gamepad - and you have to pay again for that feature, although the pad is THE reason to buy Wii U. Just great.

Especially those wallet issues are completely inexcusable. We are in 2013. They already know what I bought on Wii. I got a Club Nintendo account. Why can't they just use 1 wallet for everything. One account to handle all purchases. They could even update Wii shop accordingly. 3DS+Wii+WiiU all tied together. Why not? It's pure lazyness.

I was able to have all of my VC/WiiWare games transferred to a new Wii after my launch unit died. I really think it just comes down to who you get on the phone and how nice you are.

Dragon

Banned
I was able to have all of my VC/WiiWare games transferred to a new Wii after my launch unit died. I really think it just comes down to who you get on the phone and how nice you are.

It should be fairly straightforward to do this programmatically though. I think that's why people are upset. It's relatively straightforward to manage the PS3's you have activated for instance.

Top Bottom