• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Pokémon Go Could Be A Death Sentence For A Black Man

I'm guessing there's no warning at the beginning of the app to be mindful of your surroundings and not do anything that would get you in trouble?

Easy lawsuit incoming

There is. It's the loading screen but it's kinda easy to get carried away. I learned my lesson though and it hasn't happened since.

True Fire

This thread was a lot more civil than I thought it would be. Maybe the Watch Dogs 2 thread got rid of all of NeoGAF's racists?

Vitacat

I think this article is probably correct, although I think the core problem goes beyond racial disparity.

Honestly, I see all kinds of problems with Pokemon Go. Not with the game itself, but with people doing stupid stuff while playing and getting themselves or others hurt or killed.

I've already heard some people are playing it while driving.

I won't be surprised if we see Pokemon Go permanently retired someday soon by Nintendo. They may be covered legally, but people and/or kids getting hurt or killed because they were staring at their device in public because the game requires that to be played is not good for Nintendo's brand.

It's made me feel safer, personally. Previously, when I'd walk alone at night in the park I would get worried about either looking suspicious to NYPD or getting jacked. Last night, there were dozens upon dozens of people walking around trying to catch em all. I wasn't concerned about my safety in the slightest; I just wanted to know where to find a goddamn Raichu.

I think this article is probably correct.

Honestly, I see all kinds of problems with Pokemon Go. Not with the game itself, but with people doing stupid stuff while playing and getting themselves or others hurt or killed.

I've already heard some people are playing it while driving.

I won't be surprised if we see Pokemon Go permanently retired someday soon by Nintendo. They may be covered legally, but people and/or kids getting hurt or killed because they were staring at their device in public because the game requires that to be played is not good for Nintendo's brand.

Well, it's been out for ~3 days now with ~almost every I know playing it and we haven't heard any real horror stories. I'd say give it a few children before we start with the fear mongering.

Vitacat

Well, it's been out for ~3 days now with ~almost every I know playing it and we haven't heard any real horror stories. I'd say give it a few children before we start with the fear mongering.

Oh, you just wait. I suspect, though, that you wouldn't want to bet money on no one getting themselves or others harmed as a result of playing it in public.

Chaos17

There's a thread in Off Topic about someone finding a body playing Pokémon Go, and this concern was brought up. The game definitely might encourage some individuals to trespass on private property, and something like that certainly won't always end well.

I've also read the contrary where some players actualy saved lives while playing late night. Saw 2 post today on Reddit about that. 1 saved a woman that her house was in fire other thread was about a group of player who met a motor cycle guy who got an accident (seassure).

fortunaly both case ended well.

Oh, you just wait. I suspect, though, that you wouldn't want to bet money on no one getting themselves or others harmed as a result of playing it in public.

Harmed ? I didn't read anything yet about that but beig in dangerous situation yes because they were hunting pokemons at 2AM in unfamilars areas or tripped on the road because they were not watching where they were going :p

Zedox

I've never denied anything happening. I mentioned there have been a handful of incidents. I just said I will never assume the worst from anyone and people lost their minds. I'm at a loss... guess I'm not paranoid enough?

I've been reading this thread and trying not to get upset and still not but LET ME INFORM YOU OF SOMETHING (yes, the caps were necessary). This has been happening for years, before your time and maybe (I hope not) after your time. The only thing that has changed are phone cameras and it being recorded/streamed. The platform for ordinary citizens to report that is usually not reported but by the ones that actually perform the act. A voice being heard. I'm not going to go into it anymore because it emotionally impacts me.

I unfortunately and fortunately have a Windows Phone so I can't even play Pokémon Go if I wanted (well, I could use the old iPhone or android phone around the house but meh). It's sad that I have thought about this situation and I know my friends have as well, but it is the world we live in. I'll still try it out though.

:)

Neiteio

Have there really been reports of people playing Pokemon Go while driving? For fuck's sake... I hope no one on GAF is doing that.

Please don't kill yourself playing this game. Would rather everyone stay alive so we can peacefully argue about stupid shit here.

Slayven

It is not a race problem, it is a class problem. The blacks have to make sure they are dressed like they have jobs.

Daouzin

This thread was a lot more civil than I thought it would be. Maybe the Watch Dogs 2 thread got rid of all of NeoGAF's racists?

I wouldn't attribute it to just one thread haha.

However I do love this site for caring and banning these people. Maybe one day we can get a thread where no racists show up. #daretodream

Ploid 3.0

When it came out, I took a look at the map and noped. I just got the one in my backyard, messed around with it a bit, and deleted it. I can see it being a death sentence for a ton of people, especially kids that call themselves explorers without asking their parents.

Lulubop

Definitely something to take into consideration.

And not to derail, but it's not all doom and gloom!

Cm3Rv_hW8AA8LnW.jpg:orig

edit: Beaten a million pages ago

According to cdc, 60% of gun related violence by law enforcement in the US happens to white non Hispanic males. Less than 30% happens to black non Hispanic males.

A lot of this sentiment is a hype machine created by the media for one agenda or another.

No matter the race, beliefs, or ethnicity, any kind of actions that make us worry like this is unacceptable.

But we have to be reasonable, no matter who you are or what you look like, black, white, Hispanic, Asian, or Muslim, wearing a hoodie at the park at 3am looks pretty shady. So be careful out there.

The CDC is prohibited from tracking certain data when it comes to guns and gun deaths. In addition to that, law enforcement agencies are not required to track and report certain statistics as well.

But even in that data that you quoted, being that African Americans only represent 13% of the US population, 30% still represents are grossly disproportionate rate.

Hundreds of Police Killings Are Uncounted in Federal Stats
NOTE: Doing a goggle search for "law enforcement not required reporting" brings up the full article without requiring to subscribe

Also, do you happen to recall which CDC report you pulled that from?

Neiteio

I'll download this app when they add the superior Pokemon from later generations

*Neiteio lights a match and walks away as the thread explodes*

Neonep

I think it's just police officers that have a bit of racism in them that even they don't know about and these officers being people just like everyone else and get scared. Guns should always be the last resort not the 1st. Also one thing I've noticed is a lot of Cops don't know how to de-escalate situations. I also think that all of these cops getting acquitted is shady and that putting it lightly. In all of these different situations over years all of these cops we justified in killing black people.

None of this is new though, cops have been harassing and killing black people since before I was born and I'm 25 years old. Only difference now is that there are cameras everywhere including ones in the majority of people's pockets with their phones.

Just my 2 cents.

It’s sad but true.

A game like this, where you’re poking around strange places looking suspicious with a device in your hands, will provoke the police. And if you’re black or hispanic, you’re statistically more likely to get hurt in the exchange that follows, no matter how well you comply. It’s a serious issue that needs to be addressed in this country.

At the same time, as President Obama said, it should be noted that the vast, vast, vast majority of police are perfectly good people. I myself have been working with multiple police jurisdictions in my work as a reporter for around seven years now. The average cop is just as terrified of what’s going on as anyone else.

Depending on how widespread this game becomes, it almost seems like police should brief their officers on the possibility that someone may be using their phone to play an AR game, and that may be why they’re walking around strange places with their phone out. Most adults haven’t heard of this concept before.

This is well reasoned post on all fronts. And yes I think that this kind of behavior will attract attention from all people, but I think the difference with minorities is what I bolded above.

And yes officers should be briefed about this, but I feel like poor training and briefing is largely the cause of at least one of the shootings in the last two weeks and many more before it.

This all begs the question about how popular Pokemon Go will be and how long it will stick around.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
According to cdc, 60% of gun related violence by law enforcement in the US happens to white non Hispanic males. Less than 30% happens to black non Hispanic males.

A lot of this sentiment is a hype machine created by the media for one agenda or another.

Nice try. Black males make up far, far less than 30% of the population. Gun-related law enforcement violence happens to them in a far greater ratio than anyone else (except possibly Native Americans, haven't seen recent numbers on that). Raw numbers tell you nothing. Context matters.

Ploid 3.0

edit: Beaten a million pages ago

Wow that is pretty awesome. Personally I wouldn't take the chance, I'm a wimp. By the time the cop got involved I would be shaking like a leaf.

Maybe when you're hunting pokemon with the phone there should be a universal signal that alerts people that you are playing the phone game. Like maybe perhaps a white and re.. oh uh maybe something that can't be confused as gang colors but relates to pokemon. Any bright shirt with Playing Pokemon Go, and a hat too with the pokeball. Nintendo can sell them. Also hope it won't make pokemon go players a easy target for criminals. I still wouldn't do it though. It would have to be something like a national pokemon go hunt day or something, and in controlled zones with security.

It is not a race problem, it is a class problem. The blacks have to make sure they are dressed like they have jobs.

LOL

I think it's just police officers that have a bit of racism in them that even they don't know about and these officers being people just like everyone else and get scared. Guns should always be the last resort not the 1st. Also one thing I've noticed is a lot of Cops don't know how to de-escalate situations. I also think that all of these cops getting acquitted is shady and that putting it lightly. In all of these different situations over years all of these cops we justified in killing black people.

None of this is new though, cops have been harassing and killing black people since before I was born and I'm 25 years old. Only difference now is that there are cameras everywhere including ones in the majority of people's pockets with their phones.

Just my 2 cents.

It's not just that some officers have their own unconscious biases. Many officers are straight up trained and encouraged by their departments to perform racially biased policing.

Nice try. Black males make up far, far less than 30% of the population. Gun-related law enforcement violence happens to them in a far greater ratio than anyone else (except possibly Native Americans, haven't seen recent numbers on that). Raw numbers tell you nothing. Context matters.

I'm thinking that it might be a new talking point in conservative circles or something because I see it getting posted a lot lately. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be concerning that so many white men are getting killed by police also to those who bring it up, there's really not any justification in my mind for 1000+ people to be killed by police each year when other countries have had a fraction of that number in their history.

You keep walking past people or their houses people are gonna feel uneasy and think you're a wierdo, don't matter the colour of your skin.

AfroDust

I've actually been thinking about this ever since I got the game. I wonder if someone sees me walking around and thinks I'm up to no good.

Chaos17

You keep walking past people or their houses people are gonna feel uneasy and think you're a wierdo, don't matter the colour of your skin.

Yup, I've read many testemonies like that on Reddit. So people turn off the AR feature now to look less weird so people won't think (or less) players taking photos of them, lol

Yet, we read more heartwarming stories like this, thankfully.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=209554753&postcount=4614

PtM

Banned
I'm thinking that it might be a new talking point in conservative circles or something because I see it getting posted a lot lately. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be concerning that so many white men are getting killed by police also to those who bring it up, there's really not any justification in my mind for 1000+ people to be killed by police each year when other countries have had a fraction of that number in their history.
It's a natural course for a country where everyone is allowed to have killing devices.
Wow that is pretty awesome. Personally I wouldn't take the chance, I'm a wimp. By the time the cop got involved I would be shaking like a leaf.

Maybe when you're hunting pokemon with the phone there should be a universal signal that alerts people that you are playing the phone game. Like maybe perhaps a white and re.. oh uh maybe something that can't be confused as gang colors but relates to pokemon. Any bright shirt with Playing Pokemon Go, and a hat too with the pokeball. Nintendo can sell them. Also hope it won't make pokemon go players a easy target for criminals. I still wouldn't do it though. It would have to be something like a national pokemon go hunt day or something, and in controlled zones with security.
Time to invest in PKMN merch gear.

Seyavesh

dumb nitpicking that has nothing to do with videogame but curious on where this data is coming from?

the number provided from the NVDRS for deaths per 100k population related to police shootings in 2010 is 0.17 NH-white and .41 for black-NH

i'm using the NVDRS because the FBI's supplemental homocide reporting system is deemed as near useless garbage by the FBI director himself and the regular CDC 'vital statistics' is missing a minimum of 500-600 deaths noted in the NVDRS which already underreports despite being the most accurate system according to harvard+northeastern university

from my understanding the only system that potentially tracks police gun violence (as in including weapon discharges and not deaths) is the FBI uniform crime reporting program which is what the SHRS is part of anyways and that's also been deemed effectively useless specifically because reporting is voluntary for police departments and don't match internal police department reports of homocides anyways

please correct me where i'm wrong, i need more info and immediate correction on this stuff b/c i've been out of the loop for so long

That's so true.
In my town people live in condos mostly. You always see people walking around buildings doing stuff.
That's quite different with houses. If there's someone outside you're going to notice and feel uneasy.

So this topic is supposed to be the woe is me I can't play Pokémon Go because I'm black circle jerk? Come on now. This is a topic for discussion and I am more than allow to come in here and give my opinion. I'm black too and if I played this game I would go out and play the hell out of it. But I don't go around assuming everyone is out to get me because of a handful of unfortunate incidents. That's insane.

I'm the same way, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I try not too use being black (well half) as a crutch, but I've got to say that for the first time, I do have a bit of wariness with everything going on. It's nice not to assume, but that doesn't change the world around you. These two men who just died most likely weren't assuming that they'd be shot that day either.

lol guess I'll be radical then. Walking around looking over my shoulders just counting the days before the rogue cops get me for playing Pokémon Go. Smh ffs.

And this is the reason you're catching flack. You're trying to downplay serious shit and generally being dismissive of it. Almost to the point of being rude.

So this topic is supposed to be the woe is me I can't play Pokémon Go because I'm black circle jerk? Come on now. This is a topic for discussion and I am more than allow to come in here and give my opinion. I'm black too and if I played this game I would go out and play the hell out of it. But I don't go around assuming everyone is out to get me because of a handful of unfortunate incidents. That's insane.

lol guess I'll be radical then. Walking around looking over my shoulders just counting the days before the rogue cops get me for playing Pokémon Go. Smh ffs.

So in my life I have been dealt with 4 incidents with cops. 3 were harmless, one of them the cops had shotguns aimed at me and my friends. None of us have records, affiliated with gangs or doing something that would warrant this. It is a situation in which when you are in it, you realize..... it only takes ONE bad encounter for your life to possibly end. No matter how zen you may feel about the world around you or how immune you might think you are, unless you are rocking nine lives or something, I wouldn't be so dismissive of what is happening now and quite frankly what has been happening for decades. Would I play any game like this outdoors? Nope. Even Destiny of Spirits, I wandered around indoors. I rather be breathing than to be a tragic new hashtag.

This situation isn't new though, the camera's and distribution via the internet is new.

EDarkness

It's also statistically more likely you'll be hit by lightning than shot at by a cop, but it is what it is. I agree that things lately have been bad, but consider how big the population of the United States is and how few incidents occurred in comparison. It's not that statistically likely you'll be shot at for being on your phone in public even if you carry. No matter your color of skin. It doesn't happen nearly as frequently as the media and people have you believe, and while it does occur, it's not actually a common occurance.

I don't know about getting shot, but I do know about getting stopped by the cops on a regular basis. I've been stopped many times for no other reason than I was a black man walking around my neighborhood. Sometimes the cops are trying to be friendly and sometimes they start off being antagonistic. I can see how this can and does lead to crazy escalations which can ultimately lead to someone getting shot or beaten. I've been lucky, but I'm sure there are lots of black men who can relate to this.

Neiteio

Here we go again.. That is the worst idea for an article.
The fear will understandably and reasonably persist until innocent people of color stop being killed on a regular basis

Not hard to understand the author's concern — playing Pokemon Go is a suspicious-looking activity that resembles casing a location, which could attract police attention

And if you've been paying attention this past week, you know how that can go if you happen to be the wrong skin color

Again, most people understand that the vast, vast, VAST majority of police are good and would sacrifice themselves to save anyone

But there are still bad apples (or at least impulsive ones), and that's what gives pause to minorities who are disproportionately affected

Top Bottom