• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Prey Shows That Bethesda's Review Policy Is Even Bad For Bethesda

Yes...
It's their review policies that are hurting Bethesda and not the homogeneous release schedule they've adopted this generation.

FAKE EDIT: The consumer is exhausted.

The consumer won't be exhausted for Injustice 2. Why? Cuz unlike Prey they know when it's coming out and are hearing a lot of word of mouth.

You'd think anyone releasing a game that lets people play with a variety of approaches and creativity would give reviewers ample time to play it and discover the intricacies it offers, instead of a last minute code dump ensuring they'll have to marathon it so their review will be seen by anyone.

They have all the time in the world to discovery the intricacies, it's on the reviewers for feeling the need to marathon their review. If the delay makes it not worth their time to do the review, they can just not review that game.

Unison

If Prey is good, it will still be good in two weeks when good reviewers have had their way with it.

This is more an issue of media outlets demanding instant coverage of everything than anything.

It's not inconceivable that a game could benefit from a series of staggered reviews trickling in over the first week or two of its release.

Nightii

Banned
They have all the time in the world to discovery the intricacies, it's on the reviewers for feeling the need to marathon their review. If the delay makes it not worth their time to do the review, they can just not review that game.
I'm down, let the future of no reviews, no numbers come soon, please.

KingBroly

Banned
Reviews coming out because of an embargo date are free press, basically. It gives you a good news cycle or two and allows hype to build. If you didn't send out review copies, sure you got bad press, but at least you knew the game was coming out soon.

Taking that away for Dishonored 2, Skyrim SE and Prey has ultimately proven to be confusing to consumer. I was honestly surprised when those games came out (Prey and Dishonored 2 in particular). They just popped up out of nowhere without warning, but since there was no hype for them, I decided to wait for cheaper prices.

Lunar15

I don't fully disagree, but the reasoning here is a bit odd. Is he saying Prey got less than stellar reviews because reviewers didn't have enough time to play it? It's kind of a weak thesis when there's otherwise a point here.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Jason might be right but the big outlets like Kotaku could benefit by not always framing these arguments as "X will be good for the consumer!" or in this case "X is bad for the industry!" when really what they mean is "X will generate more clicks and revenue for us."

Sure, all those things can align, but in the end it's the later that's the thing Kotaku really cares about, and it comes off as disingenuous when they don't cop to that.

As someone that worked there, I can tell you that Kotaku is not hurting for traffic.

lenovox1

There's no way of knowing, but it definitely happened regardless. Strong thesis there.

I'm not really defending Bethesda's position here, but reviewers are free to simply not rush if they don't want to. Their reviews don't have to hit immediately, I know everyone wants to be as close to the hype as possible, but it's not a requirement.

It's a requirement set by the publications and editors. The reviewers would have no say.

On the web, in order to receive the most views and the most revenue from a review, it must be timely. There's no way around it.

Trup1aya

I mean, yeah, of course that's going to be Kotaku's take.

I'd imagine it's everyone's take. It's impossible to give a high quality review when you are racing the clock. And low quality reviews are going to hurt the publisher and devs of the game.

Heroman

Banned
Reviees are good for multiple things, the one of the most important is telling people that the game is almost out.

I really want to know what's so anti-consumer about their policy. Sucks that you cannot pre-order or buy day one or am I missing something? Reviews are coming, just later.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Bethesda will say that it flopped because the lead was Asian.

In what world is a B- considered fantastic? :p

I wouldn't say a game with a low 80% average got "fantastic" scores.
Good ratings? Sure
Games do seem to skew higher than other mediums, though. For whatever reason.

Unfortunately?

fan·tas·tic
adjective
informal
extraordinarily good or attractive.

An 80 out of 100 does not sound "extraordinarily good or attractive."

I mean, I guess this is why review scores are shit.

An 8/10 is "fantastic" in my eyes.

Kthulhu

If Prey is good, it will still be good in two weeks when good reviewers have had their way with it.

This is more an issue of media outlets demanding instant coverage of everything than anything.

It's not inconceivable that a game could benefit from a series of staggered reviews trickling in over the first week or two of its release.

Most games sell the majority of it's copies in the first week. It's incredibly unlikely that positive review scores will save this game.

While the media isn't entitled to access, it's good for consumers to be informed on the quality of a product before they buy it, and if reviews are good then it serves as good marketing.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I really want to know what's so anti-consumer about their policy. Sucks that you cannot pre-order or buy day one or am I missing something? Reviews are coming, just later.

Lots of people will publicly say they're willing to be patient and see what people think about a game, lots more people will just buy a game they're interested for on day one and feel burned when it doesn't turn out how they were expecting.

I don't know how Doom did sales wise but my friends knew it existed when it released. (Can't remember if their review policy kick in before or after Doom as well)

Edit: yup Doom was sent review copies like prey.

Prey just came out of thin air to them. I didn't even hear about until the review thread pop up. I figured it was still development.

Ripenen

It's misleading to suggest that, "...most publishers’ Metacritic bonuses require games to hit an 85 or 90."

That wording makes it sound like most publishers in the industry tie bonuses to Metacritic scores. Also if the author doesn't know if Bethesda even gives Metacritic bonuses why mention it at all in this article?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
There's no way of knowing, but it definitely happened regardless. Strong thesis there.

I'm not really defending Bethesda's position here, but reviewers are free to simply not rush if they don't want to. Their reviews don't have to hit immediately, I know everyone wants to be as close to the hype as possible, but it's not a requirement.

This isn't about reviews just coming late and that's annoying but the fact that early reviews, especially positive ones, are a major way to generate hype and word of mouth close to launch. Its basically a shitty PR move that hurts far more than it helps.

Bethesda is completely within their rights to choose to give review copies to anyone they want anytime they want.

They've seen this strategy "work" - meaning they've compared how their games have sold and reviewed before they put this method in place versus how their games have sold and reviewed after they put this in place. Clearly, they like what has happened, so to them it makes sense to continue this policy.

They're not dumb, nor do I think they're evil. They're just (I think) maximizing exposure opportunities.

Consumers are under no obligation to buy a game Day One, either, and they still have the ultimate power of the wallet.

Personally, I would not employ this strategy for my games, but we need the exposure far, far more than big-time Bethesda does. We give review copies out like crazy as soon as we're comfortable that our games are ready.

Fascinating to watch this whole thing unfold.

It's a requirement set by the publications and editors. The reviewers would have no say.

On the web, in order to receive the most views and the most revenue from a review, it must be timely. There's no way around it.

Yeah, so if the revenue isn't going to be there, just don't review that game. It just seems odd that the reviewers' profit motivations are the actual driving factor in this need to "rush" the reviews. As a consumer, the review is just as useful to me on launch day or a month later. I can simply wait to buy the game until there is satisfactory information to make a purchase.

This isn't about reviews just coming late and that's annoying but the fact that early reviews, especially positive ones, are a major way to generate hype and word of mouth close to launch. Its basically a shitty PR move that hurts far more than it helps.

And early negative reviews will generate massive anti-hype. Bethesda is making a choice, and they can live with the consequences of that choice.

mdubs

Banned
Reviewers got Persona 5 two months in advance of release.

Why the hell did they need to delay the game so long then?

Lots of people will publicly say they're willing to be patient and see what people think about a game, lots more people will just buy a game they're interested for on day one and feel burned when it doesn't turn out how they were expecting.

Sure, but people are saying it's anti-consumer, I don't really see why that is.

Edit: Prey sold like garbage because it had like zero exposition to the public.

Kthulhu

It's misleading to suggest that, "...most publishers’ Metacritic bonuses require games to hit an 85 or 90."

That wording makes it sound like most publishers in the industry tie bonuses to Metacritic scores. Also if the author doesn't know if Bethesda even gives Metacritic bonuses why mention it at all in this article?

I believe Zenimax did this exact thing with Fallout New Vegas.

Orca

Unfortunately a review that isn't up at the same time as the rest doesn't get viewed anywhere near as much, even if it's a better researched and defended position than someone that blasted through the game on easy and vomited words on the page. That's where a decent lead time gives the reviewer the benefit of being able to try different difficulties and playstyles...which should then give gamers better reviews and publishers better coverage.

Unison

Most games sell the majority of it's copies in the first week. It's incredibly unlikely that positive review scores will save this game.

While the media isn't entitled to access, it's good for consumers to be informed on the quality of a product before they buy it, and if reviews are good then it serves as good marketing.

If reviews matter to you as a consumer, wait for the reviews.

The only way this becomes an issue is if you wanted that pre-order DLC (which Prey has in the form of some items).

A Day-One review embargo would not enable you to see the reviews before getting those items, however, so it's just as bad as this policy for the consumer, give or take a few days.

Fliesen

yeah, might be anecdotal, but the whole release / review cycle of Prey was so incredibly... mushy - i'm sure had there been a big reviews -> release hype cycle, i would probably be owning the game right now.

and lol @ that first post... yeah, it's all about the games media's agenda...

Kthulhu

Reviewers got Persona 5 two months in advance of release.

Why the hell did they need to delay the game so long then?

Because it takes a long time to print all those Blu-rays. Just cuz the game is done doesn't mean it's ready to be on store shelves.

Edit: also the game was delayed for localization purposes.

Kotaku probably would've gotten a review code in January if the game hadn't been delayed.

Mooreberg

It is a contributing factor, but Doom sold fine so I don't think it is the deathblow they are portraying it as. The big problem is they're reusing a name for something that isn't actually a reboot, doesn't have much traction with mainstream customers, and isn't as exciting a pitch as what Prey 2 was for people who pay attention to this stuff. Throw in lack of coverage on sites from no early review copies, and a close to nonexistent marketing campaign, and you've got a game with decent review scores that doesn't seem to be selling very well.

Chris1

Even though they would say that, they aren't really wrong. Bethesda is 3/3 for flops since this policy. I'd be more interested to see how Fallout or Elder Scrolls is effected by it, but at the moment it's not a particularly good look for them

And it should be your take too. There is NO benefit to consumers by withholding reviews and information

I hope this policy continues to bite Bethesda in the butt

There is the benefit of the games bombing and the games drop in price incredibly fast like Doom and Dishonoured 2 has so far.

I hope they keep doing it, I'm not gonna complain about cheap games so soon after release lol.

As someone that worked there, I can tell you that Kotaku is not hurting for traffic.

I don't understand this statement. Apple isn't hurting for cash reserves, do you think they're going to stop trying to do everything in their power to strengthen their business?

I just think it's ironic that places like Kotaku are so loud about their desire for transparency in the games industry, but when they take positions that are pretty obvious in their intent (which is to strengthen their business) they dress up those positions as being purely consumer advocacy, or concern for the health of the industry. Just be straight with people.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
prey was just horribly marketed and the build up plan they had for the game was garbage. also the handling of the IP has been so fumbled with prey 2 being revealed then going dark for it to be rebooted.

easy allies podcast even talked about even how incompetently forgettable the tv commercial for this game was.

https://youtu.be/zmYZiJDrE5A?t=49m19s

It would benefit Bethesda and their games to go ahead and do review copies again. While you avoid bad press, you lose good press that can boost sales. Prey seems like it will be a very timely example of that.

All that said though, this line:

Thanks for letting us know the review was half-assed. I understand the reasoning behind cranking as hard a possible, but much like the lack of review copies is to benefit Bethesda, this cranking of the review only benefits Kotaku.

Kotaku didn't crank out a review though. They point out in the article that several sites, like IGN and themselves, are trying to do more thorough playthough for the review. Although, I might be misinterpreting your meaning here.

ghostjoke

Banned
It's both funny and tragic how much bad press this has created. Beyond the initial PC port of Dishonoured 2, review copies would have done more good than bad as of late. Prey needs whatever advertising it can get if the numbers are correct. Sadly, it'll most likely be spread out in tiny doses over the next few weeks. Seriously, where's the advertising? I've seen more speedruns than actual advertising.

I hope it's worth it to keep how broken the next ES/FO is around launch under wraps.

JABEE

And game companies use their reveals as a means of getting customers to put their money down right away. I would imagine most people don't cancel or forget to cancel once they put their money down.

It is one of the reasons I don't give games a pass for promising the moon in reveals and previews (ie No Man's Sky). The way people actually behave in the market suggests that lying about what your product will be works.

It is something I think the press gives developers and producers too much leeway on, because they are nice guys, or there is no way to possibly understand what went wrong.

Listening to the gaming press talk about how something will get fixed in the final product without the tiniest bit of skepticism is part of the problem. Critical previews were looked-down upon for a long time, yet, readers put their money down on games based off previews.

The entire hype cycle as it is currently functioning is something all journalists must contend with and apply serious scrutiny. Games live and die off the snake-oil of reveals and the gullibility and forgiveness of the men and women who report this information.

Publishers have done a good job of cutting out the gatekeepers along the way.

I don't understand this statement. Apple isn't hurting for cash reserves, do you think they're going to stop trying to do everything in their power to strengthen their business?

I just think it's ironic that places like Kotaku are so loud about their desire for transparency in the games industry, but when they take positions that are pretty obvious in their intent (which is to strengthen their business) they dress up those positions as being purely consumer advocacy, or concern for the health of the industry. Just be straight with people.
Why can't they be concerned for the industry or consumers too? Writers are consumers and game enthusiasts same as you and me. What evidence makes you think they're not being straight?

This works with games with big games attached like Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls....but something like Prey needed the hype train to fuel attention.
This industry's lack of morals means that IGN, GameSpot, Polygon etc would jump at the chance of early review copies even if Bethesda usually treats them like shit...so they kinda screwed themselves this time.
Hopefully a lesson learned.

Top Bottom