• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PlayStation 4 codenamed 'Orbis', 2013, AMD CPU, SI GPU, Anti-Used Games

Reallink

If these anti-used games rumors are true, I really hope Apple comes in with some console equivalent and stomps the shit of Sony & Microsoft.

They need to embrace their hardcore consumers and provide value to them, not make complicated anti-used game schemes to marginally increase sales of $60 games.

The big 3 aren't just competing with themselves anymore. PC gaming and services like OnLive are making better alternatives to console gaming and are becoming increasingly more accessible to Joe Gamer.

I'll probably switch over to the master race next gen if they can't get it right.

/rant

Hate to break it to you, but master race likely won't exist in the form you're imagining if anti-used reaches fruition. This would be a concerted effort on MS, Sony, and Publisher's's parts. Emphasis publishers, the ones that control and account for all of your big budget PC games. Why would they go from spear heading this kind of system to releasing something on the defacto piracy platform. It makes no logical sense. They might sell 50k, 100k, or even 500k copies on PC, but it wouldn't amount to a drop in the bucket compared to their console revenue/profit. This is why PC releases are routinely delayed months past the console releases now. If publishers get their way next-gen, PC releases simply won't exist, or will be delayed to the point no one cares or bothers (e.g. a year+)

Hari Seldon

I realize that used games hurt the console publishers. But I wonder if they realize that if you can't flip games, only the bourgeois will be shelling out $60 for a new release with 8 hours of single player.

Where does the rumor say you have to be always online? From what I am reading, it could also be just an activation based system like Steam?

Time to start selling my PS3 games I guess. I don't want a mountain of consoles under my TV. No BC, while understandable, is bad.

Mario007

"Instead of coming up with a solution, let's fuck our customers!"

what solution to gamestop having huge profits while developers close down all the time even though their games are relatively well received could have MS and Sony conceive rather than this anti-used game mechanism? Enlighten us.

And once again you'll end up paying 3-5 euro more on the budget re-releases of the games rather than buying used games. Is that really such a lot to ask?

IrishNinja

"the large print giveth; the small print taketh away"

Anti resell I'm fine with, as long as the prices of games get brought down to like 30 bucks tops.

oh yeah, id embrace console DD if it was anything like steam sales/prices, but that's not gonna happen. they'll just keep inflating budgets and have fewer avenues/revenue streams to compete with.

Orbis - circle
Vita - Life
Circle of Life
pic1.jpg

It's the OooooOOOrbis of VIIiiiiIIITAAaaaa...
And it moves us alll

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I realize that used games hurt the console publishers. But I wonder if they realize that if you can't flip games, only the bourgeois will be shelling out $60 for a new release with 8 hours of single player.

They'll just kill off single player games and mandate that every game should be online MP focused.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The other reason why B/C is nice. I'm not exactly sure what console makers expect us to do here. Throw out our old games and consoles?
Uhh, do as many of us have done for decades? You either keep it and continue using the older systems or you sell it.

It's not like I could play NES games on a SNES or SNES games on an N64, you know.

Of course that's what I do, because I'm a logical sane person. What I'm saying is that anyone who thinks we're going to see giant catalog sales of games on consoles next gen is insane!
We're not, but there are many other ways to create sales.

Those giant catalog sales wouldn't really apply to a new console until it has been out for years anyways as those catalogs won't yet exist.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
have you seen the ORB in your avitar...ORBIS. THINK ABOOT IT.

lol, yeah.

But I don't think Sony would go with a sphere-on-stick approach for a theoretical Move 2.0. It needs to be less dependant on visual tracking IMO in order to streamline (if not eliminate altogether) the calibration process as well as for ease of use (ie no need to keep the Move 2.0 into PS Eye or whatever field of view).

I'm thinking about something closer to the Razor Hydra in terms of set up and ease of use.

Of course that's what I do, because I'm a logical sane person. What I'm saying is that anyone who thinks we're going to see giant catalog sales of games on consoles next gen is insane!

You will get huge sales....from retail. Just like this gen.

Whatever catalog sales you're talking about are irrelevant. Nobody got them this gen and it didn't kill any console manufacturer.

Those big bundles on Steam are insane, I have to agree we wont be seeing anything like that on consoles.

The traditional game companies are operating like dinosaurs and I can see the bubble bursting on the industry. I think in 10 years we will look back and think how fucking crazy it was to try and sustain a model around games that cost tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars to make and sold for $60 a pop. Shit is gonna get real here in the next few years.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
what solution to gamestop having huge profits while developers close down all the time even though their games are relatively well received could have MS and Sony conceive rather than this anti-used game mechanism? Enlighten us.

And once again you'll end up paying 3-5 euro more on the budget re-releases of the games rather than buying used games. Is that really such a lot to ask?

Create a game actually worth keeping
Keep supporting your games
Sell back programs directly to the publisher
Coupons for future purchases
Budget your games properly
Stop giving gamestop all this free preorder shit, then moaning and bitching about them out of the other side of your mouth
Don't treat your customers like thieves

I don't buy used games, but if I can't sell back some game I don't want anymore chances are I won't buy it in the first place.

panty

Okay just read that pastebin "article". No way that is true. I want my Sony consoles packed with new hardware.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
These companies are just spreading false rumors to confuse their competitors.

Why do I have this? Well, let's just say that some major developers like EA games are currently very pissed because the PS4 specs are shitty compared to the next XBox and besides limiting their abilities in making more impressive games for the new Playstation, it's also going to shit up cross-platform titles in the same way that the lack of Blu-ray and Standard Hard Drive did with the XBox this generation, and Sony's not listening to their pleas for less shitty hardware. Right now, programmers are pretty much looking at it and comparing the two consoles like one is a high-end gaming PC and the other's a piece of shit eMachines unit from Walmart's $200 special (including monitor).

Seriously?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The traditional game companies are operating like dinosaurs and I can see the bubble bursting on the industry. I think in 10 years we will look back and think how fucking crazy it was to try and sustain a model around games that cost tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars to make and sold for $60 a pop. Shit is gonna get real here in the next few years.
Then it sounds like the industry is through. Simplistic 99 cent games simply aren't going to cut it for me and many others.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have a feeling that even if the next Xbox and the PS4 have an anti used system in place now it won't make it to launch. Retailers are going to try to leverage that away from them. I doubt they would refuse to sell the systems but you can bet that when someone goes to Gamestop to buy them the workers will hammer it in that you can't even borrow a game from a friend or buy used.

Everything else sounds pretty good and along the lines of what I expected.

jono51

Banned
If it works for Steam then why not everyone else?

PC is an open market. I can set up my own DD network if I wanted to. Steam is in competition against 3-4 other competent competitors and a multitude of other smaller ones. On PS4 your only option would be PSN, UNLESS they allowed outside companies like Valve, EA and Amazon etc handle the storefront side and compete on price. Unlikely, but the only way consoles could come close to PC on price front (they still wouldn't be as low as PC though as sony would want a cut on top, but still).

I don't really buy used games, but this is still pretty worrying. I also don't like the notion that I have to be online to play.

This.

I`m a collector, buy new and keep my stuff and i will not buy a console where i have to be online all the time to just play a game. No way. What happens in 8 years with the ps 5 out?! My collection would be worthless and i couldn`t play my games without the approval from Sony. Fuck it. I want to own my games and play them when i want (even 10 years later) and not rent them and be dependent of Sony.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Uhh, do as many of us have done for decades? You either keep it and continue using the older systems or you sell it.

It's not like I could play NES games on a SNES or SNES games on an N64, you know.

Yeah, I've been doing it for decades. VC on Wii was a godsend, even if I had to rebuy some games, my NES, SNES, and N64 have been retired. Gamecube broke, so BC is even nicer for that.

Majanew

Banned
Maybe that DICE comment about 2GB RAM not being enough for the next-gen systems was aimed at PS4. Dang, mind blown if that pastebin turns out to be true. How'd he get both Xbox and PS4's condenames before they leaked out?

Triple U

Banned
This:

The X-Box 3 is going to have an 8-core 64-bit processor (assumedly an i7 or similar design) rated at 1.2 Teraflops. The PS4 will feature a 4-core 32-bit processor. XB3 will be using a GPU running support for DirectX 11, while the PS4 will be using an OpenGL 4 GPU. XB3 is specified to use 4 GB RAM, and the PS4 will be shipped with 2GB.

Is when the pastebin should've stopped being taken serious. Only thing he may have right is the codename.

I just read the Pastebin and those PS4 specs sound kind of lowball compared to the Kotaku rumor. Everything else from the used sales mechanism to the lack of PS3 BC sounds pretty legit though. Emulating the Cell + Nvidia GPU would be no small feat.

I believe that Sony will work on slowing converting the PSN library to be playable on PS4 though, it just won't be ready day 1.

McHuj

I bring this up again during CES, the CTO of Sony talked about 28nm SOC that they're looking at for future work.

Coincidentally, AMD's APU for next year is a 28nm APU with a Southern Islands based GPU. Sony could be getting a custom derivative of that.

Let's see

- 2013, sounds reasonable
- AMD CPU, been rumored previously, sounds reasonable
- Southern Islands GPU, makes sense for a console launching in 2013
- anti used games, I previously said there was no way that MS would do this if their competitors didn't. This rumor only makes sense if MS is doing it as well...which speaks to some sort of collusion between devs and manufacturers to push the console market closer to the PC market.
- no BC sounds a little over the top. Software BC should at least be an option, correct?

theDeeDubs

Sounds good. Hopefully MS adopts the same thing. I was planning on going DD only next gen, but if this rumor is true I can still buy a physical copy and have a dd copy to go along with it. Best of both worlds.

As far a Gamefly goes, I bet they work out some form of temporary code for renters. Couldn't care less about Gamestop used though.

Top Bottom