• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku says: SEGA wanted Dreamcast in original Xbox

Flying_Phoenix said:
That has nothing to do with anything.
It doesn't? The fact is, every Dreamcast game that has VGA support runs better and looks nicer in VGA than through composite. And one system has VGA support while the other system doesn't.

RavenFox said:
I do . Your reaching but I see your point.
I don't know about that. On the whole, the PS2 has games that look a lot nicer and do a lot more than the Dreamcast did, sure, but I think that there's far more Dreamcast games that hold up than there are PS2 games released until Dreamcast finally bit it in 2002. As for which is more powerful, though, it's kind of a moot point that doesn't matter.

I AM JOHN! said:
It doesn't? The fact is, every Dreamcast game that has VGA support runs better and looks nicer in VGA than through composite. And one system has VGA support while the other system doesn't.

I don't know about that. On the whole, the PS2 has games that look a lot nicer and do a lot more than the Dreamcast did, sure, but I think that there's far more Dreamcast games that hold up than there are PS2 games released until Dreamcast finally bit it in 2002. As for which is more powerful, though, it's kind of a moot point that doesn't matter.
You can run Dreamcast games in 2560x1600 resolution via NullDC for all I care, it still wouldn't make up for the glaring deficiencies DC games had with polygons/lighting/effects compared to Xbox/PS2/GC games.

nincompoop said:
You can run Dreamcast games in 2560x1600 resolution via NullDC for all I care, it still wouldn't make up for the glaring deficiencies DC games had with polygons/lighting/effects compared to Xbox/PS2/GC games.
Both had great games, but I cannot play those great DC games on anything in my home at this moment. That's the difference between my nostalgia for DC vs PS2. I can list a dozen DC games I would rather play this instant over the very best PS2 game, and not because they're better, but simply because its been much longer and I pine for them.

Diddo even more for the Saturn.

JayDub said:
I can't see why, as Sega.Net had a monthly fee..
Again, Sega.Net wasn't a service you had to use to play the game online. Sega.net was just an ISP, that's all. You could use any normal (non free ad supported or AOL) ISP with the Dreamcast, and aside from PSO version 2 none of them had monthly fees... and even that one may have only had fees in the US and perhaps Japan, evidently?

benjipwns

Banned
Now that you mention it, I remember using NetZero, Juno, whatever that K-Mart owned one was, etc. as well. They all had the same workaround.

I AM JOHN! said:

VGA is just simply an output signal. It has nothing to do with the actual graphics but more so how the picture the system produces gets on the screen. Hell the Playstation 2 had more output capabilities than the Gamecube, does this mean that it had better graphics then it?

For an example imagine if the Wii didn't have component cable compatibility, VGA, or anything, but just component, while the PS2 had component, S-Video, and HDMI, would that make the PS2 have better graphics than the Wii?

Also you can really hook up a VGA cable to the PS2 if you know how to work around the system

I AM JOHN! said:

The Dreamcast was nearly 4 years old by the time it was released in 2002 the system was very well familiar with the developers who worked on it, the Playstation 2 was rather new and harder to develop for.

Look at what the average Playstation 2 game looked like in 2004 compared to the Dreamcast, there's no comparison. Saying that the Dreamcast used AMAZING hardware for 1998.

A Black Falcon said:
Given that MS definitely has a history of doing things like that, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's the real story.

I just think of it as a fitting end to SEGA of Japan's arrogance. Their stubbornness and jealousy of SEGA of America's success literally imploded the company. From letting a failure such as the 32x launch to forcing them to kill the Genesis early to forcing them to launch the Saturn so early to practically refusing them to release a true 3D Sonic. Oh and let's not forget of the countless amazing business opportunities that SEGA of America managed to grab that SEGA of Japan turned down.

Because they kept trying to screw SEGA of America out of their stubbornness they were forced to be pushed in the corner and had to turn to a company the was infamous for screwing other companies over. But hell that wasn't even the worst of it. SEGA was already developing many games for the Xbox which they had to finish for the system, and none of those games sold well at all just further showing how little SEGA was really worth to Microsoft. And to further worsen the situation many key SEGA people went over the company. Microsoft didn't just screw SEGA over they massacred them. They screwed them over a deal leaving them to be bankrupt, they took fruits of labor, and they destroyed their much of their pride as SEGA was forced to release games for the Xbox even after the deal and had their many of their best and brightest console planners (mostly American) move on to their console.

I've said this once and I'll say it again. If SEGA of America handheld the hardware design, marketing (outside of Japan), and software geared toward the West while SEGA of Japan focused on making the blockbuster games on their consoles SEGA would not only just be here today but they would have had HUGE success with the Saturn and the Dreamcast. Unfortunately it didn't play out that way.

Damn this all really makes me wish that (the former) SEGA had another console out in the market. I have no idea why people say that Microsoft fills their shoes.

Flying_Phoenix said:
I just think of it as a fitting end to SEGA of Japan's arrogance. Their stubbornness and jealousy of SEGA of America's success literally imploded the company. From letting a failure such as the 32x launch to forcing them to kill the Genesis early to forcing them to launch the Saturn so early to practically refusing them to release a true 3D Sonic. Oh and let's not forget of the countless amazing business opportunities that SEGA of America managed to grab that SEGA of Japan turned down.

Hah, yeah, you're pretty much right, aren't you. :)

I mean, Sega of America definitely had responsibility too, but Sega of Japan, and Nakayama particularly, made most of the most important mistakes, and their jealousy and the stupid decisions they made as a result of that are at the core of their worst ones for sure.

You're also absolutely right that Sega of Japan was stupid to keep passing up great opportunities... but hey, who'd want an actual powerful, well designed system when instead we can just make a box full of random off-the-shelf chips? That sounds better to me!

Because they kept trying to screw SEGA of America out of their stubbornness they were forced to be pushed in the corner and had to turn to a company the was infamous for screwing other companies over. But hell that wasn't even the worst of it. SEGA was already developing many games for the Xbox which they had to finish for the system, and none of those games sold well at all just further showing how little SEGA was really worth to Microsoft. And to further worsen the situation many key SEGA people went over the company. Microsoft didn't just screw SEGA over they massacred them. They screwed them over a deal leaving them to be bankrupt, they took fruits of labor, and they destroyed their much of their pride as SEGA was forced to release games for the Xbox even after the deal and had their many of their best and brightest console planners (mostly American) move on to their console.

Hmm... that kind of is getting into conspiracy theory territory there, and I don't know if MS had planned it in THAT much detail... I mean, it's possible, but I'm not entirely convinced by this part. Why would MS need to kill Sega like that, Sega was already dead.

Also, I'd always heard that Sega allowed its development studios to choose which platforms they wanted to develop for, and some chose each... maybe that's not true, but it is true that Sega spread its support across all three platforms. Something was going to end up on Xbox. It ended up being stuff like Crazy Taxi 3, Panzer Dragoon, JSRF, and ToeJam & Earl. PS2 got Shinobi, Virtua Fighter, etc, GC got Sonic, Skies of Arcadia, Monkey Ball, etc... I don't think MS needed a conspiracy to get Sega to release some games on their system.

As to why they failed, though, that's a better question, and I don't know the details so I can't say much. But would that be Sega's fault, or MS's?

As for taking people from Sega, did that really happen? I mean, I know Peter Main did go over, but how many others did? I know that many Sega of America hardware people left the company after their design for the Dreamcast was rejected (it was the last straw...), and I'd imagine a lot of other people left or were fired too as the DC failed and they went software only, but did lots of them really go to MS?

I've said this once and I'll say it again. If SEGA of America handheld the hardware design, marketing (outside of Japan), and software geared toward the West while SEGA of Japan focused on making the blockbuster games on their consoles SEGA would not only just be here today but they would have had HUGE success with the Saturn and the Dreamcast. Unfortunately it didn't play out that way.

Yeah, that's possible. I think that ideally Sega of Japan needed to get over its jealousy and look to Sega of America for what the Saturn project should be. It was the US and Europe where Genesis was successful, so to follow that up looking at those regions first is the smart thing to do. It'd probably result in a more powerful, not as hard to program for system that launched a bit later, and I think that'd be just fine. I don't know if it'd have made it do worse in Japan than the actual Saturn did, that's possible, but I think the huge benefits in the US and Europe would far more than outweigh that.

I mean, Genesis was third place in Japan, but worldwide it sold almost 40 million systems. N64 was third place in Japan, but worldwide it sold 32 million systems. Saturn sold ~9.5 million, Dreamcast ~10 million, Master System 13 million according to Wikipedia but that sounds high so who knows, but not higher than that at least. SG-1000... um, not much. The point is, the Genesis was their one chance for lasting success, and they utterly blew it in just about the worst way possible. Over 75% drop from one generation to the next... that just doens't happen often. The SuperGrafx and PC-FX likely did that bad, but those failures were also severe and pushed NEC out of the console market, and those two systems were both Japan only. I don't know what other cases there are of such a complete collapse in total, worldwide sales. Sometimes it happened in one market, but worldwide... that takes effort! :)

I know that Sega's pride made them want to succeed at home, but that was really dumb thinking. Nintendo always was much better at making logical decisions than Sega, though... though even Nintendo isn't perfect, of course. They're just good at always finding a way to make money, no matter what. Sega was more the opposite, far too often.

Damn this all really makes me wish that (the former) SEGA had another console out in the market. I have no idea why people say that Microsoft fills their shoes.

Agreed.

Man, and here I thought there was a rivalry between SEGA and Sony.

Little did I know SEGA was trying to sabotage the competition for Sony.

Shame it didn't work. :lol

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Flying_Phoenix said:
Jumping to the M2? An underpowered LM chipset? I wouldn't call such ideas opportunities really.

Sad, sad legacy Sega.

A Black Falcon said:
but did lots of them really go to MS?

Yes, they did. Lot's of people were made redundant from Sega and Microsoft were hireing. Common sense if you were unemployed to go to microsoft and they were only too happy to get experianced staff for the Xbox division.

Freshmaker said:
Jumping to the M2? An underpowered LM chipset? I wouldn't call such ideas opportunities really.

Sad, sad legacy Sega.

The M2 would have been the most powerful system around when it came out, had it ever actually been released... the Lockheed Martin chipset was also pretty powerful, particularly compared to anything in Sega's consoles... and if you forget they also passed on the SGI tech that ended up in the N64, to name just a few examples. No, it's pretty obvious I think that Sega did not exactly make good decisions there. I mean honestly, you really think that that box full of off-the-shelf processors that is the Saturn is better than those designs? Really? Huh... because the Saturn lost Sega hundreds of millions of dollars and sold less than a quarter the number of systems worldwide that their system before it had. I doubt that most of Sega's other good options would have done as badly, I really do.

Of course doing better would also have required other things like not releasing the 32X, but a better Saturn (or more importantly, a Saturn that's easier to program for and doesn't cost as much to make) is a central part of that.

dreamcastmaster said:
Yes, they did. Lot's of people were made redundant from Sega and Microsoft were hireing. Common sense if you were unemployed to go to microsoft and they were only too happy to get experianced staff for the Xbox division.

Makes sense. I just didn't know the details.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
A Black Falcon said:
The M2 would have been the most powerful system around when it came out, had it ever actually been released... the Lockheed Martin chipset was also pretty powerful, particularly compared to anything in Sega's consoles... and if you forget they also passed on the SGI tech that ended up in the N64, to name just a few examples.
The SGI stuff was just as underpowered as the LM stuff in reality. Neither really come across as more powerful and the M2 jump would've been an even worse idea. More powerful than anything else? It was overshadowed rapidly.

No, it's pretty obvious I think that Sega did not exactly make good decisions there.
None of those were bad decisions other than the fact they actually considered them in the first place.

I mean honestly, you really think that that box full of off-the-shelf processors that is the Saturn is better than those designs? Really?
M2 was too far off. (Dropping the Saturn for the M2 after a year or two would've damaged Sega's rep even faster. Letting the PlayStation establish itself unopposed probably would've been counted as a huge mistake as well.) SGI wasn't ready either and couldn't have run VF2 worth a damn judging by the N64's hardware. LM's solution was attractive only to Nobody's Perfect.

Huh... because the Saturn lost Sega hundreds of millions of dollars and sold less than a quarter the number of systems worldwide that their system before it had. I doubt that most of Sega's other good options would have done as badly, I really do.
I don't see how hitching their wagon to a dying star (3DO) etc would've helped.

TheYanger

Flying_Phoenix said:
VGA is just simply an output signal. It has nothing to do with the actual graphics but more so how the picture the system produces gets on the screen. Hell the Playstation 2 had more output capabilities than the Gamecube, does this mean that it had better graphics then it?

For an example imagine if the Wii didn't have component cable compatibility, VGA, or anything, but just component, while the PS2 had component, S-Video, and HDMI, would that make the PS2 have better graphics than the Wii?

It would certainly mean the ps2 games would probably look better. Resolution accounts for a lot when people see something. The same image with more polys/effects but no sharpness to the eye looks muddy (Like N64 games), the DC had NATIVE vga support. Not every game worked on it, but most did, and they looked fantastic.

Just saying you can hack something to output a vga signal is NOT the same as discussing what resolution it can actually display. DC games were mostly 640x480 and looked a ton better if you ran them over the appropriate cables/monitor.

I won't argue the DC can create better effects or anything than a ps2, that's absurd, btu there ARE a great deal of games for the DC that looked fantastic and yes, better than most ps2 games.

It's one of the reasons the original xbox was significantly nicer looking than the ps2 and gamecube, even if it was more powerful anyway most of the crossplatform titles weren't THAT different accross systems, but playing em in 480p was certainly a nice upgrade considering they already mostly ran better on the xbox. Same thing here with DC/PS2

A Black Falcon said:
Hmm... that kind of is getting into conspiracy theory territory there, and I don't know if MS had planned it in THAT much detail... I mean, it's possible, but I'm not entirely convinced by this part. Why would MS need to kill Sega like that, Sega was already dead.

I never meant to suggest that. I just said that was a result of it. But MS did most likely wanted to use SEGA to gain their ideas.

A Black Falcon said:
I know that Sega's pride made them want to succeed at home, but that was really dumb thinking. Nintendo always was much better at making logical decisions than Sega, though... though even Nintendo isn't perfect, of course. They're just good at always finding a way to make money, no matter what. Sega was more the opposite, far too often.

At least Nintendo learned from their mistakes. They stop abusing third parties (not giving them the low down in development, editing content in their games, etc.). They went from being a legendary tyrant to essentially the Apple of Gaming.

SEGA kinda learned with the Dreamcast (gave SEGA of America more room to breathe) but not enough. Even after the Dreamcast they had much difficulty.

Freshmaker said:
SGI wasn't ready either and couldn't have run VF2 worth a damn judging by the N64's hardware.

The Nintendo 64 was far more powerful than the Saturn or the Playstation. The bad framerates were the result of the ram. If SEGA would have used SGI and a decent amount of RAM you'd get a system that would run circles around the actual Saturn. Hell the actual Nintendo 64 could have probably ran Virtual Fighter 2 better than the Saturn if experienced developers were behind it.

The SGI was lightyears better than what the Saturn ended up using.

Imagine Conker's Bad Fur Day with a consistent framerate along with the benefits of being in a CD medium that's what most high end Saturn games would be like.

A Black Falcon said:

They were the only console maker that knew how to get a good balance of Japanese/Western, 2D/3D, innovation/traditional, all-ages/mature, and 1st/3rd Party software. So much variety on their consoles (well except the Saturn).

Freshmaker said:
M2 was too far off. (Dropping the Saturn for the M2 after a year or two would've damaged Sega's rep even faster. Letting the PlayStation establish itself unopposed probably would've been counted as a huge mistake as well.)

The Playstation brand didn't get a strangle hold until the middle of the generation. Remember how the Nintendo 64 was a clear leader at the beginning of the generation while the Playstation was doing about average? Launching a few months before the Nintendo 64 would have been ideal in terms of hardware vs timing (even at the same time would have been fine).

KingJ2002

so in a nutshell... the 360 is the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast. all it needs is a VMU...

man... remember memory cards?

wow... the times have changed.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Flying_Phoenix said:
The Nintendo 64 was far more powerful than the Saturn or the Playstation. The bad framerates were the result of the ram. If SEGA would have used SGI and a decent amount of RAM you'd get a system that would run circles around the actual Saturn.

That would've jacked up the price quite a bit at the time.

Hell the actual Nintendo 64 could have probably ran Virtual Fighter 2 better than the Saturn if experienced developers were behind it.
Given the fighters that showed up on the N64, I highly doubt it.

Not really ideal for 2d, and 3d so "powerful" it couldn't even reliably run Sega's flagship titles. Awesome.

Imagine Conker's Bad Fur Day with a consistent framerate along with the benefits of being in a CD medium that's what most high end Saturn games would be like.
Except they wouldn't since such a beast would've cost a fortune. (Sega was also lacking Rare, so no such game would ever have emerged regardless.)

The Playstation brand didn't get a strangle hold until the middle of the generation. Remember how the Nintendo 64 was a clear leader at the beginning of the generation while the Playstation was doing about average? Launching a few months before the Nintendo 64 would have been ideal in terms of hardware vs timing (even at the same time would have been fine).
How was the N64 the clear leader when it launched so long after the Saturn and PlayStation? On top of that, the N64 hit a supply brick wall upon release, then fizzled out not long after thanks to the trickle of games. It only was spared with the rise of Pokemon. The PlayStation had the market locked by then.

Freshmaker said:

Except they wouldn't since such a beast would've cost a fortune.

Nintendo made the Nintendo 64 still sell for a nice profit despite it's power. And since SEGA is a company

Freshmaker said:
(Sega was also lacking Rare, so no such game would ever have emerged regardless.)

Freshmaker said:

How many were done by high profile teams? Hell look at the 3D games on the Saturn that weren't done by SEGA's best and brightest.

Freshmaker said:
Not really ideal for 2d, and 3d so "powerful" it couldn't even reliably run Sega's flagship titles. Awesome.

What are you talking about? The Nintendo 64 did much better 3D than the Saturn. The Nintendo 64 could also handle 2D pretty well (see Yoshi's Story). If anything it was the Saturn that couldn't handle 3D as it was highly known to choke on 3D. Hell it was notorious for it. I really don't understand where you get this from.

Freshmaker said:
How was the N64 the clear leader when it launched so long after the Saturn and PlayStation?

Sales. The Nintendo 64 sold far more than the Playstation and especially Saturn did during the first year (or so) after in launched in the West. Eventually the Playstation brand took flight.

Freshmaker said:
On top of that, the N64 hit a supply brick wall upon release, then fizzled out not long after thanks to the trickle of games.

Which is why it stopped selling more than the Playstation after it's first year or so, because of the lack of games.

Freshmaker said:
It only was spared with the rise of Pokemon.

Wrong system.

Freshmaker said:
The PlayStation had the market locked by then.

No it didn't. The Playstation had a successful launch yes, but it didn't take North America by storm. It gradually build and when the Nintendo 64 launched it sold far more than the Playstation for quite some time. It wasn't until late '97 or early '98 when things started to turn around.

A Black Falcon, come on try backing me up. Your the (awesome) man with all of the data.

Lunchbox

Banned
with shenmue, jet set radio, panzer dragoon orta, sega rally, the Controller similarities.... the xbox was part dreamcast anyways.

the 360 basically is my dreamcast 2, wouldve been awesome if it had full backwards compatibility (or even more ports on xbla)

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Flying_Phoenix said:
Nintendo made the Nintendo 64 still sell for a nice profit despite it's power. And since SEGA is a company
Yes, Sega is a company.

How many were done by high profile teams? Hell look at the 3D games on the Saturn that weren't done by SEGA's best and brightest.
Every 3d fighter on the N64 was a low framerate, low poly mess. That holds true for pretty much every release on the system as a whole. The Saturn and PS were capable of putting more polys onscreen and were both capable of moving them around faster. They lost out in AA and texture effects etc, but those weren't all that important to 3d fighters.

What are you talking about? The Nintendo 64 did much better 3D than the Saturn.
Higher quality 3d, much slower and fewer ploys onscreen tho. For good measure, devs couldn't turn those effects off to help those frame rate issues etc.

Sales. The Nintendo 64 sold far more than the Playstation and especially Saturn did during the first year (or so) after in launched in the West. Eventually the Playstation brand took flight.
Moot measure. The N64 was competing against an established PS when it launched.

Wrong system.
Nope.

No it didn't. The Playstation had a successful launch yes, but it didn't take North America by storm. It gradually build and when the Nintendo 64 launched it sold far more than the Playstation for quite some time. It wasn't until late '97 or early '98 when things started to turn around.
Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy clinched things.

Freshmaker said:
The SGI stuff was just as underpowered as the LM stuff in reality. Neither really come across as more powerful and the M2 jump would've been an even worse idea. More powerful than anything else? It was overshadowed rapidly.

None of those were bad decisions other than the fact they actually considered them in the first place.

You're crazy... the Lockheed-Martin, SGI, and M2 systems are all "weak" to you? Seriously? As Flying_Phoenix also said, compared to WHAT? Certainly can't be in comparison to the 3DO, Amiga CD32, Jaguar, Saturn, or Playstation, because none of those come close to the power of the M2, N64, or the prospective LM system.

That's not a matter of opinion, it's objective fact. Sega passed on multiple much more powerful systems in favor of a weak, very hard to program for, and overly expensive system that was bound to fail everywhere out side of Japan, and the only "reason" they did it was because they only cared about succeess in Japan, not anywhere else, even though the Genesis had been a great success everywhere except Japan, and their first order of business should have been designing a system that would hold them that lead, not abandoning all of that in favor of something that would only succeed in the region they'd failed in before and bomb everywhere else.

M2 was too far off. (Dropping the Saturn for the M2 after a year or two would've damaged Sega's rep even faster. Letting the PlayStation establish itself unopposed probably would've been counted as a huge mistake as well.) SGI wasn't ready either and couldn't have run VF2 worth a damn judging by the N64's hardware. LM's solution was attractive only to Nobody's Perfect.

I don't see how hitching their wagon to a dying star (3DO) etc would've helped.

I do think that the SGI and LM options probably would be the better ones, those systems would have been ready sooner than the M2 one, probably, and probably wouldn't have been quite as powerful but still would have been quite powerful systems of course. In the US and Europe, as Flying_Phoenix also said, I think that there would have been absolutely no negative repercussions to Sega not having a system out until early or mid 1996. Nintendo did quite well in the US with the N64 despite it not coming out until fall '96, and Sega would have been no different had the games and price been right.

Sega did indeed rush their system and go with the awful hardware design they did because they were obsessing over not letting the PSX get a lead, but that turned out to be a faulty obsession to say the least. Remember, a system doesn't need to launch first to win. The SNES launched a year to two years after the Genesis and two to three years after the TG16, depending on region, but ended up winning. Wii launched a year after X360, but clearly has won. Atari 2600 launched the year after the Fairchild Channel F and RCA Studio II, but that didn't help them. PSX and Saturn launched a year after 3DO and Jaguar, that didn't help the latter two... a strong platform is a strong platform, coming out a bit later doesn't hurt a system when everything else is in good shape.

The only bit of Sega's focus on not falling behind PSX that I can understand is the Japanese side. While in the US I'm certain Sega would have been in absolutely no trouble had they both canned the 32X and not released a new system until early 1996 (no 32X would have helped them immensely, and more focus on Genesis in the interim would have helped too), in Japan, where the PSX and Saturn both released in late 1994, I can see a bit more of a case for it. Still, considering that Sega's focus should have been primarily on their successful regions, the US and Europe, that shouldn't have mattered. If it did, some Sega fans have actually said that perhaps Sega should have released the 32X, but only in Japan, as an interim there to slow down the PSX while the wait for the "Saturn", whichever of the options it is, began. That Saturn would presumably be ready by late 1995-early 1996, and then they'd ditch 32X... which would probably annoy the people who bought 32X, but a lot less than it did, considering that the Genesis had never been very successful there anyway. That idea's worth a thought, at least, I guess, though just not releasing it at all would probably have been the best path.

The N64 started at only $200 in September '96. Sega was probably willing to go up at least $100 from that. I know that a CD drive adds cost compared to a cart port, but still they'd have had some room there for more RAM I think, particularly when we think that this system is coming out well after Saturn and PSX did.

How many AAA fighting game studios developed on the N64?

The answer is one, HAL, who made Smash Bros, and many fighting game fans don't even consider that a fighting game. Other than that the biggest name fighting games the N64 had were Midway titles -- Mortal Kombat Trilogy, MK4, Mace: The Dark Age, etc. Midway didn't exactly make Sega, Capcom, or SNK caliber stuff... and nor did other N64 fighting game makers like Konami.

Anyway, the N64 did have some pretty decent 3d fighting games. Ever play Fighter's Destiny or Mace? Perhaps Flying Dragon too. But it didn't have any true AAA ones aside from SSB not because of any lack of system power but because of lack of developer support from the best fighting game makers. Oh, on the system power issue, again, really, only Nintendo haters could say that the N64 was underpowered considering how big a gap there was in power between it and any other system of the generation (it was well ahead of any of them by any objective measure).

As for framerates, they were an issue in many N64 games because the system could make more polygons than it could display at a high framerate, but not all games had low framerates, and I'm sure an SGI-based hardware would have been just fine for Sega titles. M2 tech would be the best choice of all of course, power-wise, that system was very impressively powerful for 1996-1997. The LM system I'm not certain about the specifics about offhand, but it wouldn't have been much weaker... any of these would have been great for Sega games, certainly with better looking results than we got on the Saturn, and better than anything Sony could do too. Playstation may have had better graphics than the actual Saturn, but couldn't hold up to N64 or the M2 or the prospective LM system, that's for sure.

N64 could do 2d quite reasonably well. There are plenty of examples of that, with some of the best being Yoshi's Story (say what you will about the gameplay, but the graphics are exceptional), Mischief Makers, MK Trilogy/KI Gold, lots of puzzle games, etc. The N64 could do 2d.

Also, N64 2d was held back by the fact that while the N64's CPU actually allowed custom microcodes that could get more power out of it for specific purposes, in general Nintendo only allowed most developers to use the default microcode, which was very much not the best one for 2d, I believe. Better policies in that regard would have made a difference.

Also Sega wouldn't have used the exact same hardware as Nintendo, remember. It'd have a lot of the same basic tech, but it wouldn't be an N64 with a Sega logo on it. Given how much Sega cared about 2d power, I bet they'd have made sure that it was a quite capable 2d machine... though really, N64 really could do 2d pretty well. Sega might have made it even better there, though.

As for the 3d thing, your only "point" is framerates, which as has been said already isn't the best point.

Except they wouldn't since such a beast would've cost a fortune. (Sega was also lacking Rare, so no such game would ever have emerged regardless.)

Well of course they didn't have Rare, but that's not the point and you know it... if Sega had gone with the SGI-based Saturn, though, yes, I certainly would expect that it should have been able to do something like Conker, graphically. It'd have had load times and probably needed to use smaller or segmented areas to deal with the loading issue, (note that those were two of the most important reasons Nintendo went with carts, and I think they are good ones) but it should have been able to do that graphically.

The actual Saturn was the hardest system of its generation to program for. I'd bet that any of the other alternatives would also have been easier to program for. Considering that, I'd certainly expect that some things pushing whichever system it was would have been made at some point, particularly if the system had been more successful in the US and Europe than the Saturn was, as it almost certainly would have been.

How was the N64 the clear leader when it launched so long after the Saturn and PlayStation? On top of that, the N64 hit a supply brick wall upon release, then fizzled out not long after thanks to the trickle of games. It only was spared with the rise of Pokemon. The PlayStation had the market locked by then.

For several months after its US release, people thought N64 was going to inevitably take over the overall lead. N64 sold huge numbers each month despite being very supply restrained, while PSX had sold small numbers monthly since its launch. PSX had not been an instant smash hit; it'd clearly outpaced the Saturn and killed the Jaguar and 3DO, but its actual monthly sales weren't massive. 16-bit was still a huge part of the market. Even in September '96, Nintendo still had a fine chance at winning.

You are right about some of the reason why Nintendo never caught Sony in the US, though -- they didn't have enough systems initially to meet demand, and then the serious software droughts hurt demand badly just as they had in Japan before it. Sony just had more software and Sega or Nintendo, and it was a major part of their victory. In Japan it was the FFVII release and DQVII PSX exclusivity announcement in early 1997 that was the key turning point in the Playstation's victory; in the US I'm not sure if there was any one event, but 1997 was the key year here as well.

1997 isn't 1996, though. Sega had a window after the Saturn's release (which in this version of history would have been canceled, hopefully, in favor of this system) but before the PSX wrapped things up to release a system that would have been much more competitive in Western markets, and perhaps even not allow Sony to win so decisively. That would have been awesome... :)

Flying_Phoenix said:
I never meant to suggest that. I just said that was a result of it. But MS did most likely wanted to use SEGA to gain their ideas.

If that's all you meant then, then yeah, that's reasonable. I just don't think they had some secret plan to destroy Sega by doing it or something. Sega didn't need the help. :)

At least Nintendo learned from their mistakes. They stop abusing third parties (not giving them the low down in development, editing content in their games, etc.). They went from being a legendary tyrant to essentially the Apple of Gaming.

Quite true. Sega had a unique ability to not just do stupid things, but to do them repeatedly without learning any lessons from their prior failures. Nintendo definitely did not and does not do things that way, and is still a hardware manufacturer today because of it.

As for the Apple comparison, though, bah... I don't like Apple. They're just as bad as MS, darnit, and they're definitely tyrannical on their platforms... though Nintendo does still have some of that in them, they're nowhere near as bad as they used to be, as you say. In design and such I can see the comparisons between Apple and Nintendo this gen though, sure.

SEGA kinda learned with the Dreamcast (gave SEGA of America more room to breathe) but not enough. Even after the Dreamcast they had much difficulty.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if even today Sega of America and Sega of Japan still don't entirely get along. It doesn't matter as much as it used to because they're not a hardware manufacturer anymore, but they really never did fix their internal problems, so I wouldn't imagine that the issues have just gone away, that's true.

The Nintendo 64 was far more powerful than the Saturn or the Playstation. The bad framerates were the result of the ram. If SEGA would have used SGI and a decent amount of RAM you'd get a system that would run circles around the actual Saturn. Hell the actual Nintendo 64 could have probably ran Virtual Fighter 2 better than the Saturn if experienced developers were behind it.

I've heard this "N64 was RAM limited" thing before, but aside from the tiny texture cache, I don't understand it. I mean, N64 as is had more RAM than Playstation or a stock Saturn. Saturn had 1MB and 4MB RAM expansions, and N64 had a 4MB RAM expansion, but the N64 one was RAM that could be accessed by the system at full speed, while the Saturn one was on a cart, so it had somewhat slower access than the Saturn's internal RAM, I believe, and in any case it was still less than the N64's 8MB total. How was that not enough RAM?

Agreed about VF2 though, I'm sure the N64 as is could have done a fine job on it had an actual good team been making the game. I addressed the Conker part earlier in this post of course, and the fighting game issue as well, so I won't repeat myself.

They were the only console maker that knew how to get a good balance of Japanese/Western, 2D/3D, innovation/traditional, all-ages/mature, and 1st/3rd Party software. So much variety on their consoles (well except the Saturn).

Hmm, I'm not sure about this... at various times Sega did do well at each one of those categories, but were they ever doing well at all of those at any one time? I'm not so sure... or are you saying that those should have been their strengths in the 5th generation, had they not messed things up so bad. That I might agree with.

I address this earlier in this post, so just read that part for my thoughts on all of these points.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
A Black Falcon said:
I do think that the SGI and LM options probably would be the better ones, those systems would have been ready sooner than the M2 one, probably, and probably wouldn't have been quite as powerful but still would have been quite powerful systems of course. In the US and Europe, as Flying_Phoenix also said, I think that there would have been absolutely no negative repercussions to Sega not having a system out until early or mid 1996.
It's hard to predict an alternate future.

Nintendo did quite well in the US with the N64 despite it not coming out until fall '96, and Sega would have been no different had the games and price been right.
I doubt such a system would generate the hype that the N64 did. Especially if it came in ad a considerably higher price (SGI but with more more RAM, a CD drive? That stuff would've upped the price more than you're willing to allow IMO.)

Sega did indeed rush their system and go with the awful hardware design they did because they were obsessing over not letting the PSX get a lead, but that turned out to be a faulty obsession to say the least. Remember, a system doesn't need to launch first to win.

It's a bit of a crap shoot since you don't need the best hardware to win either. A lot of it came down to the licensing model and Sony being willing to promote 3rd party software etc.

The N64 started at only $200 in September '96. Sega was probably willing to go up at least $100 from that. I know that a CD drive adds cost compared to a cart port, but still they'd have had some room there for more RAM I think, particularly when we think that this system is coming out well after Saturn and PSX did.
It would've likely come in at ~$400 if they did that.

How many AAA fighting game studios developed on the N64?
The hardware limitations on the N64 are not a hazy mystery. Its poly output has long been known to be much lower than the PS or the Saturn. Most N64 games weren't running at 30 fps much less 60. Certain features were locked in by the hardware. There wasn't much room for finagling. (IIRC, some developers even noted that turning features off actually hurt performance more microcode or no.)

Anyway, the N64 did have some pretty decent 3d fighting games. Ever play Fighter's Destiny or Mace?
Yes. They were awful. They weren't really competitive with Tekken, much less VF2, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix, Tekken 2 and 3, Tobal 2 etc.

Perhaps Flying Dragon too. But it didn't have any true AAA ones aside from SSB not because of any lack of system power but because of lack of developer support from the best fighting game makers.
You say they might have been doable. No evidence actually supports this however since no such game was ever made for the N64, and the specs don't tell an encouraging tale.

Oh, on the system power issue, again, really, only Nintendo haters could say that the N64 was underpowered considering how big a gap there was in power between it and any other system of the generation (it was well ahead of any of them by any objective measure).
Except that it did in fact put fewer polygons onscreen and had a harder time moving what it did put onscreen quickly. It was also limited on the texture front etc. It did a lot of things well, but it wasn't ideally suited to all genres. I think only Nintendo fanboys like to pretend this isn't the case.

As for framerates, they were an issue in many N64 games because the system could make more polygons than it could display at a high framerate, but not all games had low framerates, and I'm sure an SGI-based hardware would have been just fine for Sega titles.
Seems more like evidence that such hardware was not especially well suited for the titles that Sega needed the system to run.

M2 tech would be the best choice of all of course, power-wise, that system was very impressively powerful for 1996-1997. The LM system I'm not certain about the specifics about offhand, but it wouldn't have been much weaker... any of these would have been great for Sega games, certainly with better looking results than we got on the Saturn, and better than anything Sony could do too.
Iron and Blood ended up being published on the PlayStation....

Playstation may have had better graphics than the actual Saturn, but couldn't hold up to N64 or the M2 or the prospective LM system, that's for sure.
Again, depends on the genre. The N64 couldn't do a decent fighter. It wasn't ideal for RE type games, Final Fantasy 7 etc.

N64 could do 2d quite reasonably well. There are plenty of examples of that, with some of the best being Yoshi's Story (say what you will about the gameplay, but the graphics are exceptional), Mischief Makers, MK Trilogy/KI Gold, lots of puzzle games, etc. The N64 could do 2d.
The point was, the Saturn did 2d quite well.

Also Sega wouldn't have used the exact same hardware as Nintendo, remember. It'd have a lot of the same basic tech, but it wouldn't be an N64 with a Sega logo on it.
You would still have to take cost considerations into account. You really can't just say, "Well, they'd slap more RAM into it, and pop on a CD drive and then everything would be fine."

As for the 3d thing, your only "point" is framerates, which as has been said already isn't the best point.
The specs in general don't support the notion that the N64 could generate a better port of VF2. I've seen no evidence to the contrary.

"Well, I'm sure if someone who was good did it, it would be fine." Isn't a valid argument here.

It'd have had load times and probably needed to use smaller or segmented areas to deal with the loading issue, (note that those were two of the most important reasons Nintendo went with carts, and I think they are good ones) but it should have been able to do that graphically.

:lol Nintendo went with carts out of sheer pride. Saving hapless gamers from textures and 2-10 second load times (ignoring streaming games with huge areas and no visible loading like King's Field entirely) are hardly good reasons.

The actual Saturn was the hardest system of its generation to program for. I'd bet that any of the other alternatives would also have been easier to program for.
We'll never know.

For several months after its US release, people thought N64 was going to inevitably take over the overall lead. N64 sold huge numbers each month despite being very supply restrained, while PSX had sold small numbers monthly since its launch. PSX had not been an instant smash hit; it'd clearly outpaced the Saturn and killed the Jaguar and 3DO, but its actual monthly sales weren't massive. 16-bit was still a huge part of the market. Even in September '96, Nintendo still had a fine chance at winning.
They really didn't. Their cart format cost them key exclusives, and made the N64 a less profitable platform to develop for overall. Sony had the best third party support in place, and the less risky storage format aided them a great deal even without mip mapping and AA.

The PS and Saturn didn't really kill the Jaguar or the 3DO. Both collapsed under their own weight. 3DO had a terrible business model and the Jaguar had no financial backing.

I also don't really buy the whole "16 bit was still selling" argument. 16 bit was still going because it was cheap at that point. People wheeled this out when the PS2 was introduced as well, but the two platforms weren't really competing for the same market at all.

You are right about some of the reason why Nintendo never caught Sony in the US, though -- they didn't have enough systems initially to meet demand, and then the serious software droughts hurt demand badly just as they had in Japan before it. Sony just had more software and Sega or Nintendo, and it was a major part of their victory. In Japan it was the FFVII release and DQVII PSX exclusivity announcement in early 1997 that was the key turning point in the Playstation's victory; in the US I'm not sure if there was any one event, but 1997 was the key year here as well.
CD format netted them both Enix and Square.

1997 isn't 1996, though. Sega had a window after the Saturn's release (which in this version of history would have been canceled, hopefully, in favor of this system) but before the PSX wrapped things up to release a system that would have been much more competitive in Western markets, and perhaps even not allow Sony to win so decisively. That would have been awesome... :)
I'd argue that had Sega waited, Sony would have still netted Enix and Square, effectively securing Japan. Mainly due to their third party policies and lucrative storage format. (Which Sega and Nintendo both kinda sucked at.) Sega might have done better, but there's no guarantee that they would've ended up with a better position in the market.

The only way that'd happen is if they managed to secure those key third parties. That wasn't really ever a hardware issue. Don't get me wrong. I like Sega, and bought a Saturn before I picked up a PS, but changing the hardware doesn't really insure Sega better than third place spot.

Quite true. Sega had a unique ability to not just do stupid things, but to do them repeatedly without learning any lessons from their prior failures. Nintendo definitely did not and does not do things that way, and is still a hardware manufacturer today because of it.
They're the only console manufacturer that actively alienates third parties and still manages to sail along without 'em.

Agreed about VF2 though, I'm sure the N64 as is could have done a fine job on it had an actual good team been making the game. I addressed the Conker part earlier in this post of course, and the fighting game issue as well, so I won't repeat myself.
Feel free to present some kind of evidence.

First off, thanks "A Black Falcon" for clearing up so much for me. You're a real pal. :D

Anyway yes I know Apple was FAR worse than Microsoft (Jobs was such an asshole). But today they're not that bad. They just give third parties a decent/good deal for developing on their platforms and leave the door open while focusing mostly on their 1st party efforts (both hardware and software) to sell their hardware. I see Nintendo similar. They've left their doors open to let third parties in, but they don't really reach out to them because they really on their own hardware innovations as well as software to sell their consoles.

Also I always felt that SEGA made consoles that were really well balanced. Sure each system didn't cover all of those but they were all quite diverse and reached for a more grown up market. Come to think of it SEGA was one of those really few studios that truly cared about gaming. I mean they invested tons of money on making 3D arcade boards that couldn't hope to see profit just for the sake of pushing gaming (please correct me if I'm wrong with this this is what I've merely heard).

This is why I wish SEGA was in the console market today. I much imagine it would be hardware based off Lindbergh with a healthy dose of multiplats, exclusives, and strong first party support. There is benefit for a gaming company making a console instead of some major corp. tycoon.

Freshmaker said:
Previous post.

Freshmaker
Enjoys arguing when even after he realizes that he's wrong.
(Today, 01:15 AM)
Reply | Quote

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Flying_Phoenix said:
Freshmaker
Enjoys arguing when even after he realizes that he's wrong.
(Today, 01:15 AM)
Reply | Quote
:lol

Beats producing any information to support your claims I guess.

Freshmaker said:
It's hard to predict an alternate future.

I doubt such a system would generate the hype that the N64 did. Especially if it came in ad a considerably higher price (SGI but with more more RAM, a CD drive? That stuff would've upped the price more than you're willing to allow IMO.)

It's a bit of a crap shoot since you don't need the best hardware to win either. A lot of it came down to the licensing model and Sony being willing to promote 3rd party software etc.

It would've likely come in at ~$400 if they did that.

Adding some cache RAM (for loading stuff from the CD; it doesn't have to be the main 4MB RDRAM block, or whatever replaced that, I don't know enough about hardware designs to say how it should be done, it just needed some RAM for that) and a CD drive would double the price? Seriously? That's hard to imagine.

You're right that you don't need the best hardware to win, though. Just having the most powerful system definitely doesn't guarantee you victory. But in Sega's case, their choice of hardware platform actually did matter -- it was just far too expensive to make and far too hard to program for! THOSE are the things that really needed fixing... and that cannot be done with anything like the design they chose.

The hardware limitations on the N64 are not a hazy mystery. Its poly output has long been known to be much lower than the PS or the Saturn. Most N64 games weren't running at 30 fps much less 60. Certain features were locked in by the hardware. There wasn't much room for finagling. (IIRC, some developers even noted that turning features off actually hurt performance more microcode or no.)

Yes. They were awful. They weren't really competitive with Tekken, much less VF2, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix, Tekken 2 and 3, Tobal 2 etc.

I like either of those games more than most of those games on your list there, myself... but I've never liked the Virtua Fighter or Tekken series. Really, most 5th gen 3d fighting games are pretty awful, in my opinion, looking back. And I generally try to not think of games as worse because of their technology... but of the 5th gen 3d fighting games I've played, the ones I've actually found entertaining, I guess, are Dead or Alive, Mace, Evil Zone, and... um... not sure what else. And those aren't exactly great games. Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, Tekken 3... I have them, but just don't like them very much. Soulblade's kind of awful. Toshinden (I have one on Saturn and one on PSX) is bad, though at least the first game is entertainingly bad.

By that I mean, I think the N64's 3d fighting games were quite competent as far as fighting games go that generation. They're not top-notch efforts, sure, but as far as 3d fighting games go, Fighter's Destiny (very interesting, unique points system definitely makes this one worth playing), Mace: The Dark Age (I don't really like Mortal Kombat, but this one's interesting... plays like a cross between MK and SF, sort of), and Flying Dragon (not a great game, but okay), at least, are okay. It's 2d fighting games that I really miss on the N64. There's no question that it'd be fantastic for them -- the controller would be great for the genre, with the 6-face-button layout that the games require to be good and a great d-pad, and the cart format would get rid of the horrific load times that plague the PSX and Saturn 2d fighting games. I really, really wish that Capcom or SNK had made some 2d fighting games on N64, they'd have been really good... :(

I mean, Smash Bros. is a great game, but no Capcom or SNK fighters is really too bad.

You say they might have been doable. No evidence actually supports this however since no such game was ever made for the N64, and the specs don't tell an encouraging tale.

There's a lot more evidence to show it would be possible than that it wouldn't, for sure, I would say. Because there's pretty much no evidence that would say that it isn't, while there is some that would say that it is.

Except that it did in fact put fewer polygons onscreen and had a harder time moving what it did put onscreen quickly. It was also limited on the texture front etc. It did a lot of things well, but it wasn't ideally suited to all genres. I think only Nintendo fanboys like to pretend this isn't the case.

Seems more like evidence that such hardware was not especially well suited for the titles that Sega needed the system to run.

Lots of stupid lies and/or misinformation here! I almost don't know where to start...

First, polygons. You keep saying that N64 can't push as many polygons as PSX or Saturn. This is simply false. While Nintendo's stated polygon numbers are a little below the PSX's numbers, this is NOT because the N64 can push less polygons. In fact, it can push as many or more. What's happening is twofold -- first, Nintendo is always conservative in their stated performance numbers. Nintendo was listing actual, in-game polygon counts, with all effects on. Sony, in contrast, liked to list fictional polygon counts that could only be achieved by turning off textures, effects, etc. So that accounts for part of the gap.

Second, there were a bunch of hardware effects on teh N64 that usually not be turned off, such as the Z-Buffer, triple buffering, etc. These effects are what make 3d N64 games look so, so much better than 3d games from any system before it -- there are no jaggies in sight, no textures popping around and warping, and more! It just looks fantastic, it's a huge, huge leap in comparison to the PSX and Saturn. That power comes at a price though, it knocks off a chunk of the system's polygon power. PSX and Saturn don't do those effects, so they've got less overhead there.

Also, because of the way Sony designed their system, that is because of the propensity for the system to display lines between the polygons, polygons were often overlapped, increasing the number of polygons you had to put on the screen. With N64 that was unnecessary, effects take care of all those issues.

As for textures, the PSX didn't have any larger texture cache than the N64, actually, I think... it's not like all PSX games have awesome high-res textures. Also, good developers could come up with ways to get higher res textures working on the N64. There were just far more developers working on PSX, so many more games max out its power when compared to the N64. Finally, some use of shaded polygons could help, the system was designed to display shaded polygons as well as textured, which is part of why Nintendo didn't think the texture cache was a problem -- shaded polygons don't use textures. Mario in Mario 64 is made up of shaded polygons, for example.

Textures are a minor weakness on the N64, but the great strength of all of its other hardware effects are so huge that it's a pretty small issue compared to how great it is to not have jaggies, lines between polygons, polygon warping, and all the horrible stuff you see in PSX and Saturn 3d.

Iron and Blood ended up being published on the PlayStation....

Looking worse than it would have on M2. There are videos of M2 stuff out there, watch them... it's really, really impressive stuff for the time! And I mean actual, real M2 games, not the techdemo videos. Look up IMSA Racing on Youtube, for instance.

Again, depends on the genre. The N64 couldn't do a decent fighter. It wasn't ideal for RE type games, Final Fantasy 7 etc.

RE? It did RE great, RE2 is better than the PSX version... okay, to be more specific, the N64 version has much better controls (with 3d mode, an actual analog, push-the-stick-the-way-you-want-to-go mode!), much better polygon models, shorter load times, and slightly worse backgrounds and FMVs thanks to the compression. I'd say its better. There weren't other games of that kind, really, but that's just because of developers, not anything relating to system power. Also remember that Eternal Darkness started as an N64 game, based on the screenshots of that version it looked pretty good. (ED's one of my favorite GC games though, so I did like it)

As for fighting games, I've already covered that, but if you want to keep pretending that you have a "point" when you don't even remotely have one, go ahead.

As for FF7, sure, the N64 isn't ideal for the FMV aspects. The ingame engine parts would have looked a whole heck of a lot better, though. :)

The point was, the Saturn did 2d quite well.

Yeah, but the PSX and N64 weren't as far behind in 2d as people often say, that's all I'm saying. They were a little behind, sure, but not a LOT behind. Lots of 2d games look great on both systems.

You would still have to take cost considerations into account. You really can't just say, "Well, they'd slap more RAM into it, and pop on a CD drive and then everything would be fine."

The specs in general don't support the notion that the N64 could generate a better port of VF2. I've seen no evidence to the contrary.

"Well, I'm sure if someone who was good did it, it would be fine." Isn't a valid argument here.

Given that in every genre that was actually tried on the N64 by top-notch development teams there was at least one good game made, I think it's pretty safe to say, yes.

:lol Nintendo went with carts out of sheer pride. Saving hapless gamers from textures and 2-10 second load times (ignoring streaming games with huge areas and no visible loading like King's Field entirely) are hardly good reasons.

No, absolutely not. It's a common rumor that the N64 was designed around Mario 64 more than anything, and it's a rumor that I think might be true. On that note, I remember Nintendo saying that Mario 64 couldn't be done on any CD-based system without smaller areas and more load times, and I'm sure that they were telling the truth. You couldn't easily stream a Mario 64 level, and it would be too big for RAM... you need direct cart access. And Nintendo genuinely did care about minimizing load times. This carried on to the Gamecube as well, one reason why they used the small discs was to reduce load times. It worked, and GC games on average have some of the shortest load times of anything on disc-based media. Nintendo also hid the load times as best they could in their GC games, and they didn't just do it for fun, they did it because they thought that load times were bad and should be minimized. I agree with that philosophy. Load times are really annoying. Carts are also much more durable than CDs, which is great, and can save to the carts so you don't need memory cards for all N64 games, only most of the third party ones. Despite the repercussions, I absolutely think that Nintendo did the right thing in sticking with carts in the N64, no question.

We'll never know.

We know that the N64 is easier to program for than Saturn, for sure, so we know that. I don't know offhand how hard the M2 is to program for, though; it was finished and games were in development, though, so somebody would know... but I highly doubt it'd be as hard as Saturn. As for the LM system, I really have no idea. Again though, Saturn was just incredibly, incredibly complex. I mean, N64 wasn't exactly easy to program for... but compared to Saturn? :)

They really didn't. Their cart format cost them key exclusives, and made the N64 a less profitable platform to develop for overall. Sony had the best third party support in place, and the less risky storage format aided them a great deal even without mip mapping and AA.

The PS and Saturn didn't really kill the Jaguar or the 3DO. Both collapsed under their own weight. 3DO had a terrible business model and the Jaguar had no financial backing.

I'm not sure if I said this in my last post, but if I didn't, Atari actually did still have millions in the bank in early 1996 when they gave up. What happened was that Sam Tramiel had been the biggest pusher within the company to stay in the console business, but he got a heart attack around that time and was forced to take a break. Jack Tramiel retook the reins at that point and decided to just quit the business and sell off the company. Had he not done that, though, despite how horribly the Jaguar had sold, Atari had been frugal enough over the years that they actually still had millions. They could have gone on for several more years and probably released the Jaguar 2, had they wanted to. They actually did have a near-final Jaguar 2 hardware design and a few test motherboards for the system exist, so it's known that it was in serious development. It would have been fully backwards-compatible with the original Jaguar and have had both a cart slot and CD drive.

As for 3DO, they just messed things up bad, yeah... the system's lack of 3d power really hurt it in the end, and the high price in the beginning, and those aren't things they could really change (for 1993, the 3DO was about as powerful as you could do, and even then it was $700!). They just needed to actually release that M2, and preferably in mid '96... they'd still have lost badly, though, so maybe just giving up and going third party was the right decision. I'm not sure, I'm not big into the M2 like some people so I haven't spent a lot of time looking into it, just a little here and there. It certainly was powerful though, so it'd have been interesting to see regardless.

Anyway, it resulted in us getting BattleTanx on the N64, and that game and its sequel were amazing, so in the late '90s at least I didn't care that the 3DO had failed. :)

I also don't really buy the whole "16 bit was still selling" argument. 16 bit was still going because it was cheap at that point. People wheeled this out when the PS2 was introduced as well, but the two platforms weren't really competing for the same market at all.

My point was that the Genesis and SNES were still doing very well in the US and Europe in 1995. Nintendo did not suffer to any appreciable degree by not having the N64 out until September 1996; as I've explained it failed to take first place for reasons that were not related to its release date. The same would have been true for Sega, had they released only ONE 32-bit system, and done it, say, in early 1996. Go with Genesis and Sega CD up to that point and they'd have been just fine, just like Nintendo was. The Genesis did sell 40 million systems worldwide, after all, only losing to the SNES worldwide because of how badly Sega got crushed in Japan. In the rest of the world, Sega was probably a little ahead overall that generation. Just ditching the system like they did was unbelievably stupid! Focusing only on Japan was a major, major mistake.

CD format netted them both Enix and Square.

I'd argue that had Sega waited, Sony would have still netted Enix and Square, effectively securing Japan. Mainly due to their third party policies and lucrative storage format. (Which Sega and Nintendo both kinda sucked at.) Sega might have done better, but there's no guarantee that they would've ended up with a better position in the market.

I'll agree that that last point is probably likely, particularly for Square. Square was tired of Nintendo by 1996 because of Nintendo's tyrannical ways and how they pushed Square around. Honestly, even had N64 been CD based, looking back I wouldn't be at all surprised if Square had gone Playstation-only anyway. They wanted Sony to do well, for some reason. I mean, CDs obviously weren't the only reason -- they didn't support Saturn or 3DO or something, just PSX. They just wanted Nintendo to lose... and the Square-Nintendo rivalry went on for years. It wouldn't end until Yamauchi was gone from Nintendo, in fact -- he held a grudge against Square after it left and never let it go (not that Square did either, I think). Anyway, Square definitely also liked Sony's low licensing fees. That was another important point. Also I know I've heard before that after deciding on Sony, Square went around trying to convince other Japanese companies, like Enix, to support Sony and not Nintendo... Enix had initially supported the N64, publishing games like Mischief Makers and Wonder Project J2 on the system, but they then dropped it in favor of the Playstation. When did that happen? Around the time that Square "betrayed" Nintendo and announced FFVII for the PSX, I believe... do you think that that was a coincidence, or just done because the system hadn't done as well as expected in Japan? I'm not so sure... but either way, there definitely were multiple factors, and yeah, system power wasn't the most important of them.

Anyway, it would have been interesting to see Square on Saturn, but I've never heard that they even considered it, for whatever reason... maybe there's something out there about this that I haven't seen, but I haven't seen a thing.

Oh, despite all that though, I do think that the N64 really did have a chance to win in 1996-1997, in the West at least. In Japan it was probably a lost cause, but in the US it had a real chance...

Remember that the N64 sold 21 million systems in the US, while the PSX was about 40 million, but the PSX lasted years longer. Despite that the PSX only outsold it 2 to 1. In 1996-1997, the gap between the two was quite close, and as I said a lot of people really did think that N64 was going to catch up. The numerous third-party-to-PSX announcements and the severe lack of software really hurt NIntendo's momentum though, and they never regained it after that. But even without CDs, if Nintendo had been more willing to proactively go after third parties, I think they'd have had a much better chance at holding that momentum that they made in the early months... and had they done THAT, well, then I think they'd have been in good shape. Consoles in the lead usually keep that lead, unless either another system comes out and is a big hit or the company does something disastrously wrong. Even in the latter case, though, it can be possible to hold onto a lead -- Even after all of their disastrous moves, the numbers we now know say that in the Americas as a whole (that is, including Latin America, Brazil, etc), Sega won, ~25 million for the Genesis versus 23.5 million for the SNES. See here for more Genesis sales numbers details: http://segatastic.blogspot.com/2009/12/mega-drive-sales-figures-update.html

The point is, once you've got a lead it's hard to lose it. The challenge is gaining that lead. Maybe it was impossible to find something to maintain that early momentum because of how big an advantage Sony had thanks to its cheap media costs and much lower licensing fees, but I'm sure SOMETHING was possible. Nintendo just didn't do much, and just expected that what they had would be good enough, or that the Dream Team thing could do the job, or something like that. I'm not sure. The point is, they needed to do more, but didn't know it because they were too busy just expecting to win because they had for two generations. That's kind of like with Sony with the PS3 in a way, perhaps... :)

In Nintendo's case that finally led them to seriously reform their ways and change things and look for new strategies, which of course ended up in success. We'll see with Sony, we're still in the middle of this generation. That issue's not the point of this, though, so enough on that.

The only way that'd happen is if they managed to secure those key third parties. That wasn't really ever a hardware issue. Don't get me wrong. I like Sega, and bought a Saturn before I picked up a PS, but changing the hardware doesn't really insure Sega better than third place spot.

That's actually possible, yes... but Sega didn't necesarily need to finish first or second. They just needed to NOT LOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON THE SYSTEM. And I think a system like one of these would have a much better chance of achieving that than the Saturn as it is did. :)

They're the only console manufacturer that actively alienates third parties and still manages to sail along without 'em.

Actually, I'd say that Atari was even worse in that regards than Sega... but yes, Sega was pretty bad. :)

Feel free to present some kind of evidence.

What do I need to do? Prove that N64 games can have good framerates? That's easy, F-Zero X is rock-solid 60fps. Prove that it can do good 2.5d fighting games (because Virtua Fighter is NOT a 3d game! There's no 3d movement in that game! It's 2.5d.)? That's easy, SSB's fantastic. So um, what's left?

nightez

Banned
I believe at the time Microsoft were more interested in Nintendo. Gates personally made an offer to buy Nintendo from Mr Yamauchi. Gates had meetings with Yamauchi going back as early as the early/mid 90's. When that failed there was speculation of a hostile take over, leading to Nintendo buying back many of its shares. I believe Bill Gates said his personal number will always be open, if at any-time Yamauchi wanted to sell & that they would buy the business in an instant.

Ember128

Zen said:
I might be reading this wrong, was the Xbox Broadband only? Would DC games only work with 56k? Microsoft didn't want to include 56k support? Is that why negotiations fell apart?

Very true. Although, honestly speaking, if the deal breaker was because Microsoft didn't want to include online support for pre existing online DC titles, than... shit, that's pretty silly IF it was Sega that walked away from the table. It's not ideal by any means, but the benefits to Sega as a company would have been huge and worth far far more than breaking legacy DC games online ability with the new box.
Woah.

Woah, woah, woah.

This is possibly the least informed post I've seen in this thread. How would The Xbox being Broadband affect DC games networking abilities? Do you understand how this thing called the internet works?

A Black Falcon said:
Prove that it can do good 2.5d fighting games (because Virtua Fighter is NOT a 3d game! There's no 3d movement in that game! It's 2.5d.)?

Beg your pardon? What do you call the 8-way-run, evade and offensive movement?

Raoh

It all seems a bit odd that most of what the future of the dreamcast was intended to be was shut down and the man behind ran to microsoft who later became the force that dreamcast wanted to be with the same strategy..

goldenpp72

Ember128 said:
Woah.

Woah, woah, woah.

This is possibly the least informed post I've seen in this thread. How would The Xbox being Broadband affect DC games networking abilities? Do you understand how this thing called the internet works?

if I recall, not all dreamcast games supported the broadband adaptor.

dreamcastbingo.jpg

Am I the only one who noticed that the Xbox controller is essentially a dreamcast controller with a second control stick and three extra buttons?

It was obvious to me from pretty much day one that Microsoft basically replaced Sega's position in the console wars in both this and last generation.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
A Black Falcon said:
Virtua Fighter 1 and 2 do not have 8-way run or evade. Those are the ones I was talking about.
That's not entirely true. Shun and Lion both have 3d movement capacity in VF2, and every character can roll on the ground in both games.

What do I need to do? Prove that N64 games can have good framerates? That's easy, F-Zero X is rock-solid 60fps. Prove that it can do good 2.5d fighting games (because Virtua Fighter is NOT a 3d game! There's no 3d movement in that game! It's 2.5d.)? That's easy, SSB's fantastic. So um, what's left?
You'd have to prove it can do a quality port of VF2 since that's the claim you were making. SSB's not any sort of proof of that. At all.

Faxanadu

Wow. That would have been crazy! I would figure a Nintendo/Sega co system before the others since they both are more traditional style video game makers.

Vipershark said:
Am I the only one who noticed that the Xbox controller is essentially a dreamcast controller with a second control stick and three extra buttons?

It was obvious to me from pretty much day one that Microsoft basically replaced Sega's position in the console wars in both this and last generation.

The Xbox and Xbox 360 didn't/doesn't represent much of SEGA's philosophy in gaming. I don't understand why people keep saying this.

Freshmaker said:
You'd have to prove it can do a quality port of VF2 since that's the claim you were making. SSB's not any sort of proof of that. At all.

Seriously the Nintendo 64 did far more impressive feats than Virtual Fighter 2...the game was anything but a technical feat on the home consoles.

Faxanadu

Freshmaker said:
That's not entirely true. Shun and Lion both have 3d movement capacity in VF2, and every character can roll on the ground in both games.

Aren't we all getting a lil' OT here?

But hell, no one can compare VF since it was never made for N64 but we CAN compare a little game called Hydro Thunder. The 64 had a great port. All 3 are from the same stage. The quality isn't that great but with scrutiny you will see the differences.

N64 Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuMCW1vTgu8&feature=related

Dreamcast Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Cr4YyAyZM&feature=related

Playstation Version (For A Laugh)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PdA2o8Q7iU

Freshmaker said:

That's different from real 3d movement and you know it... the 'roll on the ground' thing is basically just a roll, the fact that it shifts the camera little is incidental gameplay-wise as far sa I know. Maybe it has some use though, I don't like the VF games much as I said so I haven't spent much time with them at all.

I do know, though, that there's definitely a huge difference between actual 3d fighting games, where you can freely move in 3d (either via running around with the stick or pressing buttons for 3d movement while up still jumps). They aren't comparable in terms of genre.

I know you're obviously a blind Nintendo hater who will never admit anything, but you have absolutely no case here, so what you're saying is just ridiculous. I mean, what? So the fact that the N64 can do a great fighting game and can do a great framerate mean nothing, because nobody made Virtua Fighter on it? Oh come on, that's just ridiculous... the point is that it obviously had the capability! As I said the N64 was far, FAR more powerful than PSX or Saturn! Saying that there's a 3d game possible on Saturn but not N64 is absolutely insane. There is no such game, the gap in terms of power is far too large for such a thing to be possible. (Remember, we're saying possible here, so the difficulty of accomplishing the game on the hardware, given that N64 and Saturn are both hard to program for, doesn't matter. Anyway, the N64 isn't regarded as being quite as hard to program for as Saturn.)

I know I'm an N64 fan, but the objective system stats support my case, that's for sure.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Seriously the Nintendo 64 did far more impressive feats than Virtual Fighter 2...the game was anything but a technical feat on the home consoles.

I agree, VF2 looks alright on Saturn, but it's not the best looking game ever or something... there are many N64 games that look far better htan that. I'd hope there would be, considering all the additional hardware effects the N64 has!

Oh, I don't actually hate Saturn 3d or something. I think it looks good for its time. I can definitely have fun playing 3d Saturn games, and 3d Saturn games usually don't look much if any worse than 3d PSX games... which isn't saying much considering that I don't like PSX 3d much, but hey, at least on Saturn you get better controllers, easier saving (stupid memory cards and long PSX memory card access times... vs. Saturn and its near-instant-access internal memory... even considering the occasional backups to memory card or 4-in-1 cart, it's no comparison!), and you're not on a Sony system! :)

Faxanadu said:
Aren't we all getting a lil' OT here?

It's on topic in that the 1994-1998 period was the key in Sega's eventual failure, not the 1998-2001 period. So if you're talking about why Sega failed, and every DC turns to that, you have to look at the Saturn and 32X and their problems... so yeah, it's off topic, but it's related.

But hell, no one can compare VF since it was never made for N64 but we CAN compare a little game called Hydro Thunder. The 64 had a great port. All 3 are from the same stage. The quality isn't that great but with scrutiny you will see the differences.

N64 Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuMCW...eature=related

Dreamcast Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Cr4...eature=related

Playstation Version (For A Laugh)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PdA2o8Q7iU

That kind of thing is the problem, though. The DC got lots of ports of N64 and PSX games, but not nearly as many multiplatform titles also on PS2, Xbox, GC, etc... and while many of its games were ported to other systems later, that's ports from it, not games designed for both systems.

Still, just looking at the tech specs, DC is a product of its time -- more powerful than any 5th gen system, but noticeably weaker than the other 6th gen ones. Launching so early, there wasn't much Sega could do about that. Really, had that 1994-1997 period been so horribly badly bungled, Sega wouldn't have been having to launch a new system in December 1998, so whatever that system would have ended up being, it would definitely have been more powerful than the Dreamcast is.

People often say that the DC is easy to program for, and support that with things like how many of its best looking games came out early on, such as Soul Calibur, and not much noticeable improvement was seen after that during its short life from the top-rank titles. There was some improvement, though, for sure, so it isn't like the earliest games all got everything out of the system.

More importantly, though, it just had so many PSX and N64 ports that many games just don't try to do anything with the system other than using it as a more powerful 5th-gen system, instead of the next-gen machine that it was. In that way it can definitely be compared to the Jaguar and 3DO I think.

Still, yes, in power it couldn't match the PS2, N64, or DC. It could match and often beat early PS2 graphics, because of how hard that system was to program for, but does anyone think that God of War could have been done on Dreamcast? I find that hard to imagine...

Still, had somehow had the money and Sega stayed in and then replaced it with a new system in 2003-2005 or something, I think it could have managed. Games that actually pushed it could do reasonably nice things, after all.

But anyway, yes, when comparing PSX, N64, and DC games like that, it is pretty consistent. The N64 versions are closer to Dreamcast versions than PSX versions, I'd say... and the Saturn's a bit behind the PSX in power. Look at Hydro Thunder or Rush 2049... the N64 versions hold up very well in comparison!

I can't think of any direct comparisons between Saturn and N64, though, for 3d games. I can think of some 2d games on PSX, Saturn, and N64, though, such as Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Rampage World Tour, but I can't think of any 3d ones actually on both Saturn and N64... hmm. Oh well. N64 and PSX is easy though, yeah, and in pretty much every case the N64 version looks better ingame, if just because the N64 versions don't have texture warping, polygon seams, and jaggies. Hydro Thunder is a fine example. Other good examples would include Rush 2049 (DC/N64) and Rayman 2 (DC/N64/PC/PSX/PS2/DS). Rayman 2 can show off many different systems...

When I'm being maybe al ittle critical of DC graphics as I am above though, I mean things like this. This is something I know I've posted before, but I love the game. Comparing Rush 2049 on N64 and DC, the DC version definitely looks better, but the N64 version looks nearly as good. It's my favorite racing game ever, and I think the N64 version looks pretty much the same as the DC one, with nearly an identical polygon count. Apart from the DC version having higher-res textures and maybe a higher average framerate, all that's missing on the N64 is a few visual effects such as the blue light coming out of the top of a building in one level, a longer draw distance for the vertical connectors on the Golden Gate Bridge, the lines on the road reduce in detail as you look farther out on N64 while on DC they're full detail all the way, the DC has a reflective disc under the car on the car select screen but the N64 doesn't, and minor stuff like that. DC does look better, but N64 is close behind, I think... I know this isn't the best looking DC game though, of course, but it did get good marks for graphics at the time.

N64: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9CphvhE4oA (oh man do I love that soundtrack...)

I don't know of a DC Rush 2049 video with as much variety of coverage as that N64 video above. Here are a few of it, that hopefully aren't from emulators:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c75yrm_nIS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnw2x5MajeI

... Higher res videos would show both off better, the compression makes the comparison harder, you can't really tell the DC version even looks as good as it does I think... oh well, nothing can be done about that right now.

Faxanadu

Rush was awesome!

Actually, I was thinking about a conversation when the DC was first out I had with a friend. It was along the lines of the DC graphics seemed liked Higher Res versions of N64 graphics. As if they released a 16MB ram pak instead of 4 (to make it 8 right?) :D .

It's interesting how you pointed out that after Soul Calibur there wasn't a huge increase in graphic fidelity. That's what they say about 360 games now. They have peaked.

Sega: "Hey Microsoft, you know that failed system that we just had to clearance out because nobody wants it anymore now that PS2 is out? You guys should let us put it in the Xbox!"

MS: "LOL STFU"

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
A Black Falcon said:
That's different from real 3d movement and you know it... the 'roll on the ground' thing is basically just a roll, the fact that it shifts the camera little is incidental gameplay-wise as far sa I know. Maybe it has some use though, I don't like the VF games much as I said so I haven't spent much time with them at all.
:lol
I suppose avoiding a ring out or setting one up is incidental to how the game's played. You're just offering an increasingly narrow definition of what constitutes a decent technically solid fighter at the time to keep the N64's head above water in respect to this genre.

I do know, though, that there's definitely a huge difference between actual 3d fighting games, where you can freely move in 3d (either via running around with the stick or pressing buttons for 3d movement while up still jumps). They aren't comparable in terms of genre.
It's very convenient for your argument, yes. In reality, adding a 3rd axis pretty much just accomplishes just what the ground rolling in VF1 did already. If you absolutely have to have a sidestep, there's Fighter's Megamix though.

I know you're obviously a blind Nintendo hater who will never admit anything, but you have absolutely no case here, so what you're saying is just ridiculous. I mean, what? So the fact that the N64 can do a great fighting game and can do a great framerate mean nothing, because nobody made Virtua Fighter on it?
No, the point is nobody even came close. You said it could be done if someone good had made an attempt. That's not especially good evidence.

Additionally, I'm not a Nintendo hater. I've owned pretty much every Nintendo system from a NES up through the GameCube. I'm simply being realistic. I played the games you're holding up, and they don't compare. At all.

The N64 was not ideal hardware for certain genres. Genres that contained games Sega needed to have on their console because they were some of Sega's biggest titles. To suggest that SGI would be ideal platform... Ah well.

Oh come on, that's just ridiculous... the point is that it obviously had the capability!
Despite the fact it never demonstrated it? Please.

As I said the N64 was far, FAR more powerful than PSX or Saturn!
At certain things. It was not all around better no matter how many times you claim otherwise.

Saying that there's a 3d game possible on Saturn but not N64 is absolutely insane. There is no such game, the gap in terms of power is far too large for such a thing to be possible. (Remember, we're saying possible here, so the difficulty of accomplishing the game on the hardware, given that N64 and Saturn are both hard to program for, doesn't matter. Anyway, the N64 isn't regarded as being quite as hard to program for as Saturn.)

Now you sound like Capscott.

I know I'm an N64 fan, but the objective system stats support my case, that's for sure.
They really do not. They never did.

I agree, VF2 looks alright on Saturn, but it's not the best looking game ever or something... there are many N64 games that look far better htan that.
Not one fighter looks better on the N64. The SGI tech just didn't support the kind of games Sega would've needed it to. (Even if you idly dismiss VF because you stink at it, it was a big title for Sega at the time.)

Faxanadu said:
Rush was awesome!

Actually, I was thinking about a conversation when the DC was first out I had with a friend. It was along the lines of the DC graphics seemed liked Higher Res versions of N64 graphics. As if they released a 16MB ram pak instead of 4 (to make it 8 right?) :D .

Heh, yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying too. And it was often true, I think.

Oh, I forgot one graphical difference between the versions of Rush 2049 -- the DC version has actual headlights on the cars on night tracks. Still, the number of differences is surprisingly small. I've had the N64 version since 2001, but when I got the DC version a few years ago I was expecting more, honestly... it looks better, but not THAT much better! N64 Rush 2049 is fast, beautiful, and sounds great. It's got every track and car from the DC version. It does have fewer music tracks, but the music's different too (many music tracks are different), and maybe because of familiarity I like the N64 music better. It's just an amazing game...

Oh, the Midway Arcade Treasures 3 version was terrible and broken, like most of the games on that collection, but I won't get into THAT again.

It's interesting how you pointed out that after Soul Calibur there wasn't a huge increase in graphic fidelity. That's what they say about 360 games now. They have peaked.

Yeah, that's definitely true. Still, I do think that, as I said, we'd have seen more good looking games out of the DC had it lasted longer as a serious competitor. As with every system many of the early titles didn't use all of the system's power, but it didn't last long enough for more games that actually did push it to come out. The only thing that saved it there was how easy it was to program for, which is what caused that Soul Calibur thing...

I mean, I may think of the N64 (and early PSX) as kind of "N64-plus" (on PS2 Maximo makes me think of this style as well, though I know the game did start as an N64 game actually), but something like Soul Calibur couldn't have been done as well as N64... same for, say, Skies of Arcadia. And that was my point, sure the DC was the weakest system, but games that did push it did do more than N64 or PSX games could. It's too bad that we didn't get more such titles.

But yes, some DC exclusives definitely look "N64-plus" as well. Look at Pod 2 for example, or Red Dog, or many others... "N64-plus"? "1998 PC level"? Something like that, anyway, for stuff like that.

But even the DC certainly had tiers. Just look at Under Defeat, it looks better visually than pretty much any other shmup on the system, I'd say.

Top Bottom