• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Switch keeps dominating PS4 sales in Japan (first 26 weeks sales data)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zelda = wii u port
mk8 = wii u port + dlc
arms = couldn't even outsell street fighter v
splatoon 2 = actual sequel but feels like an expansion pack?
mario and rabbids = originally a wii u game
fire emblem warriors = also on 3ds

mario odyssey is the only one that looks like a serious effort and that is coming out six months after launch. six months after ps4 launched there were stellar exclusives like the last of us remastered, killzone shadow zone, don't starve console edition, outlast, infamous 2nd sun, and transistor.

for a $400 investment you could have access to all those games on ps4 at the start. then for switch you could get a 2ds and wii u for $380 and had two systems. a lot more value there.

I can't tell if this is serious. Sadly there are some that think like that. Luckily they are in the minority and the market has spoken that they believe the Switch offers good value with compelling software.

Inflammatory, console-war-bullshit headline accomplishes its goal.
Nintendo's success is a gift that keeps giving. Not only does it lead to more games, but it also has the hilarious ability to make people go completely stupid.

"This headline, pointing out what is factually happening in Japan, is inflammatory bullshit."

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
After all these years, seeing so many people in succession getting owned by Anihawk still brings me so much joy.

Don't even pretend you need to know who Anihawk is to get the sarcasm. It was clever and funny, sure, but the very first title in his list of PS4 exclusives betray the sarcastic intent.

Sadist

Haha people still geting Anihawked. A+ material.

But man, people getting mad. Even if Switch has handheld capabillities, it wasn't a surefire hit. Nintendo's own software helped a bunch.

Nintendo's success is a gift that keeps giving. Not only does it lead to more games, but it also has the hilarious ability to make people go completely stupid.

"This headline, pointing out what is factually happening in Japan, is inflammatory bullshit."

The only point in comparing it to Sony and using the word "dominating" is to be inflammatory, console-war-bullshit to get comment sections and threads like this going in the first place.

I think several of you misinterpreted console-war-bullshit as "Nintendo's success is bullshit". That's not what that means at all. You can praise Nintendo's success without looping in irrelevant Sony data to make the point. Both companies are successful by their own metrics. The Switch is selling at about the rate of other successful Nintendo products. The PS4 is selling at about the rate of other successful Sony products.

But that's not the goal of the article or the headline. It's to get Nintendo fans to shit on Sony fans and Sony fans to fire back defensively. And that's exactly what's happened in the thread.

Ergo, accomplished its goal.

So, explain again how that statement wasn't an entirely accurate description of what's happening?

People have reacted poorly to this news, on both sides. One thing I'm tired of seeing on this forum since Switch released is A) Sony fans shitting up every thread that even suggests a lick of success for the Switch and B) Nintendo fans piling on everyone who approaches Nintendo's success with an ounce of criticism and passes them off as salty or a console warrior.

Shit is annoying. Switch isn't going to threaten your lord and protector Sony sama's marketshare and given how Microsoft has thumbled this generation, you should be happy that Nintendo didn't fuck up for a second time with the Switch as it would have spoken to a pretty dire landscape in the home console space. Not exactly a good thing for anyone on this board, no matter which "team" you back. Likewise, Nintendo fans need to calm down a little bit. The Switch's first months on the market have been a success, but let's not act like this is the second coming of the Wii or DS and for the love of god, stop acting so entitled to 3rd party support. The games will come, Jesus. Insulting every single third party that isn't throwing games at the system is just childish.

*whew*

Glad that's out of my system. Fuck.

The only point in comparing it to Sony and using the word "dominating" is to be inflammatory, console-war-bullshit to get comment sections and threads like this going in the first place.

I think several of you misinterpreted console-war-bullshit as "Nintendo's success is bullshit". That's not what that means at all. You can praise Nintendo's success without looping in irrelevant Sony data to make the point. Both companies are successful by their own metrics. The Switch is selling at about the rate of other successful Nintendo products. The PS4 is selling at about the rate of other successful Sony products.

But that's not the goal of the article or the headline. It's to get Nintendo fans to shit on Sony fans and Sony fans to fire back defensively. And that's exactly what's happened in the thread.

Ergo, accomplished its goal.

So, explain again how that statement wasn't an entirely accurate description of what's happening?

Some real talk here. This is the point I was making earlier. The data comparison to PS4 is a stupid one because it shouldn't matter, and it's not like the PS4's sales have been that good. All the article does is say "The Switch is dominating the sales of a console that hasn't really sold that well anyway". It's pure tabloid and clickbait and this thread is the exact sort of reaction that Kotaku sought to attract with it. You can tell by some of the reactions in this thread that some Sony fans feel unnecessarily threatened and that equally, after the licks they took with the Wii U's commercial failure, some Nintendo fans have been looking for a reason to hit back at Sony fans.

Jedi2016

Console war is irrelevant as far as those two systems go, IMO. Totally different platforms. I solved the problem the easy way for myself... I own both. And I don't really have an opinion on which is "better", since it's a completely different set of games.

After the WiiU, I'm glad to see it's a success.

Nope. This is the same mistake some people did with XBO last year IMO. All focus on US as if it's the world. PS4 never did worse than XBO, but several thought XBO was doing better cause of US.

We see the same kind of mentality right now with Switch and Japan.

PS4 is just stronger overall in worldwide numbers. Not just japanese developers, but almost all developers can't deny a ps4 version unless with strong ($$$) motives behind.

That's not the same. While the XB1 has been performing well in the US, it ranged (and still ranges) from mediocre to barely alive in other countries. In contrast, the Switch seems to be doing well worldwide, but is particularly undershipped in Japan.

This doesn't mean that PS4 support will fall, though. That would be silly because the PS4 continues to sell well, has a 60+ million userbase, and it doesn't seem to be affected by the Switch's success. The Switch will likely see more current gen ports, and a number of publishers will include the Switch in their multi-platform plans.

I wouldn't expect that many third party games to be Switch-exclusive these days. That is one of the double-edge swords with the Switch having non-exotic hardware quirks.

Soph

Just wait for PS5, we'll show Japan!

- Last of Us 2 Remastered
- Street Fighter IV Remix
- Call of Duty: Blackops 3
- Shenmue III and IV

Nintendo Fanboys wish they got such incredible exclusives. The only reason it sold is because Japan is starving for consoles, once it sells to their core audience of about 50 million it'll die a horrible death anyway

leeh

This isn't really surprising with it being a handheld hybrid, Japan seem nuts for them and seem to have fallen out with dedicated consoles for a while.

TsuWave

Just wait for PS5, we'll show Japan!

- Last of Us 2 Remastered
- Street Fighter IV Remix
- Call of Duty: Blackops 3
- Shenmue III and IV

Nintendo Fanboys wish they got such incredible exclusives. The only reason it sold is because Japan is starving for consoles, once it sells to their core audience of about 50 million it'll die a horrible death anyway

do these sarcastic/parody posts really accomplish anything?

anyway, i'm gonna grab me a switch at some point, i think. even if conceptually it doesn't appeal to me much, there's some software i want to try out. hopefully there will be crazy deals this holiday season, if not i'll wait til next year.

goldenpp72

It's good to see a country have good taste in games, the first year of PS4 was pretty abysmal by Japanese style standards, curious to see how the end result will look. I assumed the Switch would dominate everything there though.

I just think that threads like this are kinda useless when on the same front page of Neogaf you have the weekly Media Create sales thread where you could see the sales of both these consoles in Japan so far. It's different with European or even US sales where we need leaks and so maybe even their own threads for sales data when we get those from time to time. This is just clickbait for people that don't actually normally even look for available sales data. That is the reason why it's kinda ''no shit'' that Switch has sold more as everyone that actually follows the data have known this since day one.

correojon

zelda = wii u port
mk8 = wii u port + dlc

mario odyssey is the only one that looks like a serious effort and that is coming out six months after launch. six months after ps4 launched there were stellar exclusives like the last of us remastered, killzone shadow zone, don't starve console edition, outlast, infamous 2nd sun, and transistor.

for a $400 investment you could have access to all those games on ps4 at the start. then for switch you could get a 2ds and wii u for $380 and had two systems. a lot more value there.
I love how BotW gets dismissed as a a WiiU port, yet TLOU remastered is a "stellar exclusive" lol

LordKano

zelda = wii u port
mk8 = wii u port + dlc

I agree with all of this.

diaspora

Did a quick search and okay, I was mistaken. For some reason I thought most of those games were gonna be released in the Fall.

Still, you'd expect there to be a lot more support for this considering it's the successor to the 3DS.
Sure it's a handheld, but games don't magically pop out of thin air.

zelda = wii u port
mk8 = wii u port + dlc

Glad to see someone finally set the record straight!

Zedark

zelda = wii u port
mk8 = wii u port + dlc

Don't forget you also need to buy four pro controllers before you really play with friends, making it the most expensive co-op system available!

I just think that threads like this are kinda useless when on the same front page of Neogaf you have the weekly Media Create sales thread where you could see the sales of both these consoles in Japan so far. It's different with European or even US sales where we need leaks and so maybe even their own threads for sales data when we get those from time to time. This is just clickbait for people that don't actually normally even look for available sales data. That is the reason why it's kinda ''no shit'' that Switch has sold more as everyone that actually follows the data have known this since day one.
You're right about it being no shit for us MC thread regulars but I think this is still thread worthy based solely on the post reveal thread cropping up and seeing how many people bet against the Switch. Juxtaposed to the many "news flash!" and "we saw this coming" posts... it's exposes allot of people of not being genuine and owning the fact they were wrong.

It also makes the thread quite entertaining.

Yes, they specifically did it prior to the Splatoon 2 launch.

Oooh, I see. I thought you were pinning Switch scarcity as a whole on Nintendo (I was under the impression that NAND memory shortages were a major contributing factor). I assume you're saying that Nintendo withholds some of the few Switches they have and then ships them alongside major game releases like Splatoon? (Making it more difficult to find a Switch between major releases?) Which, if that is indeed the case, I didn't know, but it def sounds plausible

xk0sm0sx

I'm thinking Japanese people are buying these to play on the go, but I still haven't seen a single person playing a Switch outside. (nor being sold in a shop)

correojon

Oooh, I see. I thought you were pinning Switch scarcity as a whole on Nintendo (I was under the impression that NAND memory shortages were a major contributing factor). I assume you're saying that Nintendo withholds some of the few Switches they have and then ships them alongside major game releases like Splatoon? (Making it more difficult to find a Switch between major releases?) Which, if that is indeed the case, I didn't know, but it def sounds plausible
I think what happened was that they had to direct some production towards the splatoon bundles, it wasn't they had Switches sitting in a storage facility somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom