• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Fallout 4 reddit rumor is BS, says person is lying about giving them info

That's a relief. My hype has always been through the roof, but that rumor dampened it a little. Glad to see it was all BS, and that I was once again fooled on the internet.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I see posting it in the main thread is grounds for a ban now, lol

What source?

The guy who dropped the Skylanders and Uncharted collection leaks is saying it's cross-gen. If I had the Twitter link I'd post it.

whipihguh

Banned
The guy who dropped the Skylanders and Uncharted collection leaks is saying it's cross-gen. If I had the Twitter link I'd post it.

Oh, alright, I think I know who you're talking about. This guy, right?

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/606376341504684032

Certainly possible, Fallout 4 seems to be using some pretty dated animations and the like from 3/New Vegas, but I'll wait until there's some more details beyond a short Twitter post before I believe him on that in particular. Though I'm probably just hoping that isn't cross-gen or that his info is dated, to be honest.

My favorite part about that reddit post is that the person is supposedly angry that they were fired for leaking confidential information.

So, like, they were fired for what seems like a good reason.

whipihguh

Banned
My favorite part about that reddit post is that the person is supposedly angry that they were fired for leaking confidential information.

And said person would almost certainly be blacklisted in the industry for leaking out said information after their firing, but giving the Fallout redditors the facts about the game will totally make that worth it. Totally.

People keep using that one tweet, but this tweet doesn't sound like inside knowledge just speculation.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/606100041967747072

He mentioned that Fallout 4 was real and would be at E3 about a week ago as well, but that was pretty much presumed by a lot of people here already before that thanks to that LinkedIn leak, which is why his claims seem dubious to me. In this case, it seems he isn't really providing anything new, just parroting a lot of rumor and speculation he perceives to be true. If he had given us more than "Fallout is crossgen", I'd be more inclined to believe him.

I don't understand. What are 'casting documents' and If they didn't come from bethesda internally how did kotaku get them? they must have originally come from bethesda at some point, lol.

MattyG

Banned
I don't understand. What are 'casting documents' and If they didn't come from bethesda internally how did kotaku get them? they must have originally come from bethesda at some point, lol.
Scripts that potential voice cast members would read from for an audition, I would assume.

Maybe Bethesda used a casting agency and someone there leaked them?

whipihguh

Banned

I think Kotaku got them from a casting agency Bethesda sent the documents to. I'm don't think they've come out and said it though, just speculation on my part.

It makes sense to me. The CSS had a mix of both cross-gen platforms, but only pre-order for current-gen. That completely lines up with the "later release" story.

I guess if their engine can handle it, it's cheap money.

But the "later release" story comes from that bunk Reddit source, so if he's using that he's gravely harming his credibility.

Sotha_Sil

I find it hard to believe that anyone took that Reddit post seriously. I didn't know about it until today, but that shit was just laughable.

It makes sense to me. The CSS had a mix of both cross-gen platforms, but only pre-order for current-gen. That completely lines up with the "later release" story.

I guess if their engine can handle it, it's cheap money.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest, but it's hardly the certainty people are pushing it as.

Scripts that potential voice cast members would read from for an audition, I would assume.

I think it was the boyfriend of an auditioning actress. I think they posted in the Survivor 2099 Kotaku hoax article claiming to have real info, and the JS took it from there.

But the "later release" story comes from that bunk Reddit source, so if he's using that he's gravely harming his credibility.

Exactly. I think it's a mix of that leak, and his own speculation. I don't think he has actual inside knowledge on this.

The kind of information that kotaku leaked was far more extensive than any casting agency would have access to. At least that what logic dictates. I admittedly have no experience with any of this stuff. Seems odd though.

Furyous

Can someone explain to me what one gains by posting a fake rumor? We don't have upvoting her or other forms of e-cred. At some point in time more info about the game will trickle out to us. Until then let's all be patient and pass the peace pipe.

No peace pipe when the possibility of cross gen is floating around

Peace pipe when Bethesda announces themselves only xbox1 ps4 and PC and no cross gen

Skeyser

Only a major league idiot would use their real name when leaking stuff that is under nda. That alone would be enough to prove this person is full of shit.

Tigress

Not only that, I think it actually be considered corporate espionage (them giving away corporate secrets) and they can be prosecuted for that. Course I'm not a lawyer but I think it could be considered corporate espionage (I mean the person is giving away their secrets).

It would be very stupid of them to do that out of spite.

saunderez

Peace pipe when Bethesda announces themselves only xbox1 ps4 and PC and no cross gen

As far as I'm concerned that's exactly what they announced. You have to believe some bullshit proven fake rumour to think that crossgen is even on the table from the information Bethesda gave us.

Good, some of the things she was saying were potentially concerning. I can only imagine the uproar at a male-only character for a game that's previously had full gender selection. Tumblr would root.

No peace pipe when the possibility of cross gen is floating around

I mean

Does it actually really matter at this point? Game looks fine to me. It's not going to look dramatically better if they announce it is not on old hardware, as well.

By and large, games that are still cross-gen are made with an eye toward the game they can make and then telling the porting studio to just make it fit into the older boxes however they can. Mordor and Mortal Kombat are the biggest examples where the old generation gets versions, but not good or timely versions. It does not appear the Xbox 360 version of Tomb Raider exists and, even if it does, I doubt the main team is working on it.

As far as I'm concerned that's exactly what they announced. You have to believe some bullshit proven fake rumour to think that crossgen is even on the table from the information Bethesda gave us.

Nah. Pete Hines is being shady about it on twitter. It's like you ask a simple question.

"Will Fallout 4 be on 360/PS3?"

You'd think that would require a simple answer. No. Instead it's more like.

"Fallout 4 is releasing on the consoles we announced it for. "

That sounds like a No, but isn't. It leaves obvious wiggle room.

Pooya

yeah, crossgen rumor isn't coming from reddit now but it doesn't really matter at this stage. It was going to look like the way it is now either way.

Other games have had two versions. For a high profile one see splinter cell: double agent. I realize it was 2 separate developers but they could easily have a b team within bethesda handle it.

I mean, I doubt it but this isn't as ridiculous as people assume.

Other games have had two versions. For a high profile one see splinter cell: double agent. I realize it was 2 separate developers but they could easily have a b team within bethesda handle it.

I mean, I doubt it but this isn't as ridiculous as people assume.

I don't think it's ridiculous.

I think, with the information we have right now, I mostly don't care. Just connect areas a little better (though there are gameplay reasons why building interiors and exteriors might remain separate), give me more people on screen (which they seem to be doing), I'm good. I was going to be playing this on PC, anyway, so even if it were still a PS360 game alone, I'd still end up buying it.

I mean

Does it actually really matter at this point? Game looks fine to me. It's not going to look dramatically better if they announce it is not on old hardware, as well.

By and large, games that are still cross-gen are made with an eye toward the game they can make and then telling the porting studio to just make it fit into the older boxes however they can. Mordor and Mortal Kombat are the biggest examples where the old generation gets versions, but not good or timely versions. It does not appear the Xbox 360 version of Tomb Raider exists and, even if it does, I doubt the main team is working on it.
Absolutely it matters

I agree game looks fine

But we only saw a trailer

The possibility of cross gen means possibility of content limits for current gen

The fine game we would play could have been much finer

This game deserves world class integrity, I think any fan would agree

To fracture this by allowing subhuman methods like cross gen'ing a game of such caliber is sicksick

So is denying fans solid answers

zychi

Banned
Sounds to me that SandraReed leaked the casting documents, doesnt actually work for Bethesda, but worked with them somehow, and now LOLtaku is pissed one of their "sources" wasn't from within the industry. Just some random person who put some stuff on the internet. (Like 99% of internet sites "sources" kotaku uses. Like 4chan and GAF)

MattyG

Banned
Absolutely it matters

I agree game looks fine

The possibility of cross gen means possibility of content limits for current gen

To fracture this by allowing subhuman methods like cross gen'ing a game of such caliber is sicksick

The thing is, if there are last gen versions then people will say this no matter what. They could release the current gen version alongside a last gen version exactly the same as they would have had they not done a last gen version and people would still say that. The minute they confirm a last gen version, people will be up in arms no matter what features the game has, no matter how it looks, no matter how it runs, and I think Bethesda knows that

which is why I think there's no way in hell there will be a last gen version. Ever.

saunderez

Nah. Pete Hines is being shady about it on twitter. It's like you ask a simple question.

"Will Fallout 4 be on 360/PS3?"

You'd think that would require a simple answer. No. Instead it's more like.

"Fallout 4 is releasing on the consoles we announced it for. "

That sounds like a No, but isn't. It leaves obvious wiggle room.

Sure, but you can interpret anything as anything if you twist things hard enough.

People going off the CSS are conveniently ignoring the fact that CSS is perfect for re-use and if I was making a site that was extremely similar to a site I'd already made I'd be re-using any existing CSS I had made.

zychi

Banned
Sure, but you can interpret anything as anything if you twist things hard enough.

People going off the CSS are conveniently ignoring the fact that CSS is perfect for re-use and if I was making a site that was extremely similar to a site I'd already made I'd be re-using any existing CSS I had made.

I still dont understand why it matters if a dev lies or not? It doesn't do anything to the games or brand. They still sell

See UBI as a whole
See EA games
See Halo MCC
See any graphics thread

The guy being questioned has no reason to hide anything, yet he still talks cryptically.

Absolutely it matters

I agree game looks fine

I'm going to throw this out there, but being current gen gives you content limits, too.

Sure. But there's no indication a cross-gen Fallout would even do that.

I don't see how designing the next Fallout to provide similar core experiences across multiple generations of consoles wouldn't impact the potential scope and ambition of the game when the baseline hardware would rock 512mb of RAM and an incredibly weak CPU. I'm confident that adhering to cross gen would be a limiting factor, maybe moreso for Fallout/Elder Scrolls than any other AAA franchise I can think of right now. Last gen Bethesda open world games hardly even ran well enough on their native console hardware to begin with. How much further could you take things for your next gen game if the last gen version has to work?

I don't see how designing the next Fallout to provide similar core experiences across multiple generations of consoles wouldn't impact the potential scope and ambition of the game when the baseline hardware would rock 512mb of RAM and an incredibly weak CPU. I'm confident that adhering to cross gen would be a limiting factor, maybe moreso for Fallout/Elder Scrolls than any other AAA franchise I can think of right now. Last gen Bethesda open world games hardly even ran well enough on their native console hardware to begin with. How much further could you take things for your next gen game if the last gen version has to work?

This is making quite a lot of assumptions, though.

We're assuming it's cross-gen, which is fair, that's what this discussion is based on. But then we're assuming there's an intention to make the last-gen version the same, which I don't think is necessarily true. An approximation - a child's drawing compared to a photograph - could be what we actually get. Mordor, as I mentioned before, would be a good example where the last-gen version couldn't keep up and so they cut features just to get it out. Putting out a disc that reuses the voice acting and story and plays like a PC game on the lowest possible settings could be their sole ambition.

Secondly, we're assuming Bethesda is producing it themselves, and are constantly looking over to make sure what works on X will work on Y. This ties into the last one, but my suspicion is there's someone else - an Other Ocean, a High Voltage Software, take your pick of the low cards - who has been tasked with making it fit.

Which, again, all assuming there are last-gen versions. I'm unconvinced there are, but can't really muster up the outrage if they do exist. If Bethesda is putting out something on PS3 and 360, it means the game they want to make is not one they feel will do proportionally well on PS4/Xbox One/PC. In that case, making a game just solely on those systems wasn't going to tear down any walls, anyway.

Top Bottom