• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS-Backed "Chroma Squad" Getting Legal Trouble from Saban Brands

baphomet

Even if they did a direct Power Rangers rip, do you not see the inherent evil bullshit Saban is pulling?

Honestly, this isn't even about if they infringed anymore. This is about parody law and big companies preying on the success of smaller ones.

Nope, absolutely nothing wrong with Saban protecting their IP. As long as they have characters owned by Saban they have those 2 options. Saban will destroy them if they go to court.

Of course the devs seem like they're too stupid to realize slightly changing their sentai characters will fix this problem completely.

Some of you seem to think Saban is going after them because they're making a sentai game, which isn't the case. Its because they're using Saban's characters in a game.

Sentai is a GENRE bub. Been a lot of em. Plus Viewtiful Joe, Zetai Hero Project, and Wonderful 101 never got attacked like this. This is not within their right. If I put a cape on a hero who wore blue that doesn't mean Superman rights owners could sue his ass.

Sentai and Tokusatsu are two genres of entertainment in Japan and over here we get severely watered down chopshops of their footage spliced with some new stuff and call it Power Rangers. The whole genre however is not the property of Saban and the Power Rangers license. This would be like the creators of Jason Vorhees suing the folks who made Michael Myers for being a scary mask wearing horror genre character. They are parts of a genre...not the owners of the whole genre itself.

This. Is. Extortion.
To be fair, Michael Myers came before Jason Voorhees, but I get the point. Slashers became it's own sub-genre within horror, and as a horror fan, I don't think I can think how it would be without the slew of slashers coming out during the 80s.

Nope, absolutely nothing wrong with Saban protecting their IP. As long as they have characters owned by Saban they have those 2 options. Saban will destroy them if they go to court.

Of course the devs seem like they're too stupid to realize slightly changing their sentai characters will fix this problem completely.

Some of you seem to think Saban is going after them because they're making a sentai game, which isn't the case. Its because they're using Saban's characters in a game.

They aren't though? Those characters aren't the power rangers. Its a generic sentai team.

The sprite designs on thr first page are too close to the Poser Rangers. Change them a bit a and they should be fine. Besudes that, having the broader game like they intended, but now with the label featuring the Power Rangers might be a very good thing for them.

Conan-san

Saban might be in the right (but I argue that's tenuous as hell) but god did they go the absolutely wrong way about this (See also; Fighting is Magic)

The more I read stuff like this the more i wonder about how people really think the world works.

Saban is a company, not a single person that happens to be scouring the markets for possible infringement. These companies hire lawyers and market watchers that do this stuff because they are paid to protect the company and normally they tell what is good for Saban not the other way around.

Things are similar even in the comic con scene, if you sell unauthorized prints/sketches of characters you don't own, or draw something similar to those character, don't get surprised if someone contacts you. normally it will be a small part of the company that is paid to look out in their best interest and not the full attention of the company coming down on you.

Sentai is a GENRE bub. Been a lot of em. Plus Viewtiful Joe, Zetai Hero Project, and Wonderful 101 never got attacked like this. This is not within their right. If I put a cape on a hero who wore blue that doesn't mean Superman rights owners could sue his ass.

Sentai and Tokusatsu are two genres of entertainment in Japan and over here we get severely watered down chopshops of their footage spliced with some new stuff and call it Power Rangers. The whole genre however is not the property of Saban and the Power Rangers license. This would be like the creators of Jason Vorhees suing the folks who made Michael Myers for being a scary mask wearing horror genre character. They are parts of a genre...not the owners of the whole genre itself.

This. Is. Extortion.

No it isn't. You can only make that argument if these sentai productions are released by other companies in the same country so Saban doesn't have a claim. The issue is when a company pays to distribute something that may be iconic or have a unique design chances are they will challenge those who bring something similar to the market and it would have been battled in courts. IF those other shows aren't officially distributed or aired in the country you wouldn't really be able to use that as a defense.

Takao

Banned
This is what the player sprites are supposed to represent:
IhF3CxK.jpg

BTA

Everyone saying that they should just change some part of the outfit is missing the point, because you change those outfits as part of the game. The outfits you're seeing are intentionally very generic defaults, but they're not copies of any specific Power Rangers or Sentai suit. Maybe it's because I'm coming at this from the Sentai/toku side of things (which is what the KS was advertised at), but given that there's been 37 teams now, you're of course going to find some similarities with the default outfits across some of them. To me it feels like you guys are assuming they look like MM/Zyuranger because that's what you're expecting to see, even if they're really not all that close. Of course, one could argue that that confusion is enough for this to be an issue, but I don't see how changing the costume further while still keeping it generic would alter that if you're already inclined to make that assumption.

Nanashrew

Banned
Everyone saying that they should just change some part of the outfit is missing the point, because you change those outfits as part of the game. The outfits you're seeing are intentionally very generic defaults, but they're not copies of any specific Power Rangers or Sentai suit. Maybe it's because I'm coming at this from the Sentai/toku side of things (which is what the KS was advertised at), but given that there's been 37 teams now, you're of course going to find some similarities with the default outfits across some of them. To me it feels like you guys are assuming they look like MM/Zyuranger because that's what you're expecting to see, even if they're really not all that close. Of course, one could argue that that confusion is enough for this to be an issue, but I don't see how changing the costume further while still keeping it generic would alter that if you're already inclined to make that assumption.

I didn't know much about it but I like this. I want to play it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

This changes everything then. Saban still has no right here.
Also, it's 38 teams now.

With regards to not taking Saban's side when they have gone a little overboard, I can't imagine that the Chroma Squad team really did themselves any favors by using this specific team in their promo stuff

981ebe01f377dc0018c0ab90afbae3b2_large.png

That's not an obvious parody like the Axem Rangers, Prism Rangers, or Featherman R (and that *really* cuts it close).

That's clearly the Zyuranger/MMPR team.

that's definitely cutting it close

Koren

Obviously they're not different enough.
Are power rangers different enough from previous sentai series? Granted, they were shittier, but enough shittier?

No it isn't. You can only make that argument if these sentai productions are released by other companies in the same country so Saban doesn't have a claim.
So if they distribute themselves an alternative series, they're safe?

Because here, there's a sentai series from fans (the creator of this parody has launched a TV channel 7 years ago, so they're well established now), popular enough that it gained some success in Japan, I'm pretty sure they could release it in Brazil if needed ^_^

With regards to not taking Saban's side when they have gone a little overboard, I can't imagine that the Chroma Squad team really did themselves any favors by using this specific team in their promo stuff

That's not an obvious parody like the Axem Rangers, Prism Rangers, or Featherman R (and that *really* cuts it close).

One thing, costumes and colors are completely customizable.

Here's a different color combo:
chromasquad-750x400.jpg

and another:
CS-Beta-06.jpg

and another:
6CtOobP.png

That said, I talked to Behold Studios about the stuff with Saban:

I reached out to Behold Studios' Saulo Camarotti to see if the situation is as bad as fans think. Camarotti was clear that Behold considers Chroma Squad a complete parody and it's not intended to infringe on any copyrights. He admits that he was "sort of" surprised by Saban paying Chroma Squad any attention.

"Sentai is a genre, and it was not created by them," Camarotti told me. "And considering that we're a studio in Brazil with six people, why bother?"

With the fact that Chroma Squad is a parody work, I asked Camarotti why he's negotiating with Saban at all? He reiterated that Behold believes there can be a "win-win negotiation" with Saban Brands and he doesn't want to start a lengthy legal battle. Remember, six developers versus a billionaire.

According to Camarotti, the negotiations are going well and he believes that Saban and Behold can come to amicable terms. On the bright side, a full partnership with Saban means that Power Rangers/Super Sentai content could legally find its way into Chroma Squad.

"That's what we're trying to arrange," Camarotti admitted when I asked him about the possibility.

UrbanRats

So, let me get this straight:

You can customize the colors of your squad.
It's a game about the Sentai genre, which is not exclusive nor was it created by the Power Rangers.

Why do they feel like they owe them anything? I mean they are low res sprites about Sentai warriors, of course they're gonna looks similar to the power rangers, if someone selects the same color scheme, just like they're gonna look similar to a million other Sentai series.

So two positives out of this:

1. Increased awareness of the game. I had no idea about this game, now I do, as now do others.

2. If Saban is in on the deal, they could possibly just use the Power Rangers IP, which would draw in plenty of other folks.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Funny to see a company actually act on infringement (or as close to it as you think those sprites get) while the Mighty No. 9 escapades continue. Weird age to be living in.

Nairume

Banned
One thing, costumes and colors are completely customizable.

Here's a different color combo:

and another:

and another:
Yeah, which is why I'm just baffled that they costume/color combination they decided to go with in their promos was the combination from the MMPR/Zyuranger team (well, only baffled that they actually did it, since it's easy to see why they'd consider it).

That's assuring.

Skele7on

Banned
I can see Sabans point.

But at least the plus is it isn't a straight up SEE YOU IN COURT.

I actually love the idea of the partnership to be honest.

Apart from blue ranger, cut him add White/Green ranger.

PS KIMBERLY I STILL LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

93817_original.jpg

THE HELL MAN, SHE'S 43 NOW... Welp I'm depressed

Are power rangers different enough from previous sentai series? Granted, they were shittier, but enough shittier?

So if they distribute themselves an alternative series, they're safe?

Because here, there's a sentai series from fans (the creator of this parody has launched a TV channel 7 years ago, so they're well established now), popular enough that it gained some success in Japan, I'm pretty sure they could release it in Brazil if needed ^_^

Yeah because it becomes a whole different issue. Saban would now have to prove that they are being directly infringed upon using more than shared tropes between the sentai series.

Sakujou

Banned
Wow one of the worst approaches of an company. Can you call them out for this scam? Like call the mother company and tell them how they are fucking up the scene?

Mr-Joker

Banned

Yeah those design are cutting it really close, still really sucky of Saban to pull this crap on a small indie developers.

Man I miss Akibaranger and Mai Waifu Luna. It was also the only Super Sentai I could get into without getting bored.

This is what the player sprites are supposed to represent:
IhF3CxK.jpg
If that is what the sprites are supposed to represent, then I personally believe they could've done more to translate that to the small sprites to show off what distinguishes them from the MMPRs.

kkuKPCw.png

I'm not trying to defend Sabin though, this is really bad to see. I am just giving an opinion as a sprite artist on what can be done with a small sprite.

If that is what the sprites are supposed to represent, then I personally believe they could've done more to translate that to the small sprites to show off what distinguishes them from the MMPRs.

kkuKPCw.png

I'm not trying to defend Sabin though, this is really bad to see. I am just giving an opinion as a sprite artist on what can be done with a small sprite.

It should also be noted that the Zyuranger/MMPR suits have a distinct dinosaur motif to their helmets while the CS characters have a very basic and generic style to them.

Gbraga

I was inclined to say that maybe people were overreacting and should wait for Saban to make a statement, and that the Chroma team says they've been playing the game and talking to them, so they probably looked as close as possible to make sure it really was within their right to do so, but that makes a big difference. You customize your outfits as part of the game, you create the look of your sentai team. If the options are varied enough so that it'll only look like Power Rangers if you want it to, then it's really silly of them to think they have rights over this. It's like taking Namco to court because someone made a licensed character using their creation tools in Soul Calibur or whatever.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Saban really enjoys getting under my nerves. In all honestly PR should've just ended in RPM.

Makes you wonder why Saban didn't go after France Five back then since apparently he holds rights to Sentai outside Japan.

shaowebb

This is just messed up. So Saban shows up, demands money or shut down, if they get money they'll call it a "partnership" and allow their stuff in the game.

Here's the deal though...it was NEVER their game nor was it ever ripping off their characters. It was a super sentai simulator which by the way met goal for a Tokusatsu mode where you can do Rider themed custom character designs as well.

So what does this mean to me?

Saban showed up and threatened these folks that they either pay them to use their game to potentially advertise Power Rangers or it'd shut down. All I can say is if they do this then by GOD Saban had better advertise the game if they are forcing their content into it and demanding a cut.They need to help the devs sell more copies to offset whats being taken from them in terms of dev time for this and in terms of profits taken.

Not too happy here. Its pretty much extortion. But if they want this to be a partnership then they'd better do something for the devs in terms of advertising or something because this is a shitty way to force a partnership threatening frivolous lawsuits that'd kill them.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I just heard about this news on the Super Best Friendcast and I am also a Kickstarter backer. Saban hopping on the project as forceful as they did wasn't a great move, however, as mentioned by the developers in a previous responce I do like the idea of having official content in the game as long as Saban don't demand a huge licensing fee that damages the developers overall profit. Imagine us having a licensed Power Rangers game that's actually good for once.

Wereroku

I just heard about this news on the Super Best Friendcast and I am also a Kickstarter backer. Saban hopping on the project as forceful as they did wasn't a great move, however, as mentioned by the developers in a previous responce I do like the idea of having official content in the game as long as Saban don't demand a huge licensing fee that damages the developers overall profit. Image us having a licensed Power Rangers game that's actually good for once.

I don't think they expected a challange from Saban but I think they are trying to get the best they can by getting the ability to use licensed sentai which would be pretty awesome. Some adds during PR programming would be pretty good for them as well.

Top Bottom