• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Pantz

4 years later...still fiddling with settings.

Turning Smart LED - OFF

I think/imagine it was causing extra dimness in some HDR games. Leaving it off, I think/imagine it looks nicer now.

no, I'm pretty sure it's plugged into 4 and the option to turn on HDR is on a per port basis and they all have the option. ,I couldn't imagine any reason why that would be a "feature"
Read the manual, many 4K TVs havr only one HDR port (mine seems to have upgraded its other ports with a software update, somehow).

Thanofski88

Neo Member
4 years later...still fiddling with settings.

Turning Smart LED - OFF

I think/imagine it was causing extra dimness in some HDR games. Leaving it off, I think/imagine it looks nicer now.

Lol same here,still changing my mind over everything with this tv ...

I blame edge lit panel for the inaccuracies we face with this model.

Recently visited a friend with a FALD panel and it looked so different and more vibrant with deeper blacks that I felt kinda bad for my sammy.

Either way ill keep it along with my ps5 just to check how it performs till I have enough for an upgrade.5 years and still running great though no complaints ☺️

Thanofski88

Neo Member
Bump-update

Firmware update I just downloaded (1243)

Really need confirmation since I see massive improvement on my set.tested on cable tv,netflix,ps4 pro and hdr content everything seems much more vibrant and popping .some sharpening I feel is added,image seems brighter ,blacks are deeper and inkier and generally it seems like 1242 was screwing something up that got fixed

Hope people give some insight on the matter!

Cheers

Thanofski88

Neo Member
Whoa, thanks for the heads up. Seems to be a good update this time.
It definitely is mate! I'm currently revisiting all my hdr ps4 games and wow! Like what the hell was 1242 messing with.... Seriously it's like a bought a new television.

I've been messing with the settings for like months because since 1242 I felt something is way off. Colors were muted, black was greyish,especially in game mode, there was absolutely no crispiness in the image, hdr was washed out....

And all of a sudden 1243 made the image go wild....spectacular highlights vibrant colors ,hdr is crisp and colorful

Currently playing death stranding once again and the image is like amazing !

Barneyco

Bump-update

Really need confirmation since I see massive improvement on my set.tested on cable tv,netflix,ps4 pro and hdr content everything seems much more vibrant and popping .some sharpening I feel is added,image seems brighter ,blacks are deeper and inkier and generally it seems like 1242 was screwing something up that got fixed

Cheers
I tried to update mine but nothin.
i'll keep trying every couple of days. Thank you for the heads up.

Barneyco

Bump-update

Cheers
Updated mine manually. I think it might have made my tv a little sharper but its hard to tell. Thanks again for the thread bump. I turned off automatic updates after the 1242 update.

Thanofski88

Neo Member
Updated mine manually. I think it might have made my tv a little sharper but its hard to tell. Thanks again for the thread bump. I turned off automatic updates after the 1242 update.
No problem

Is That the only improvement you noticed?really can't stress enough the improvement on my set.there was something terribly wrong with my set on 1242.especially in game mode everything looked greyish,muted colors,elevated blacks ,no highlights and so on.thw image was so bad that I placed my tv for sale in order to upgrade.coudnt even imagine a firmware update (1242) made the image so crap and likewise woudn expect 1243 would make the image so impressive once again.

What's the point samsung making changes like these ...do they even test the released firmwares ??

Barneyco

No problem

Is That the only improvement you noticed?really can't stress enough the improvement on my set.there was something terribly wrong with my set on 1242.especially in game mode everything looked greyish,muted colors,elevated blacks ,no highlights and so on.thw image was so bad that I placed my tv for sale in order to upgrade.coudnt even imagine a firmware update (1242) made the image so crap and likewise woudn expect 1243 would make the image so impressive once again.

What's the point samsung making changes like these ...do they even test the released firmwares ??
I havn't tried gaming yet. Just PC and cable box so far. My glasses are so scratched up I thought I had blooming but its just my glasses. So I'm probably not the best judge till I get new glasses lol.

BJK

Since this thread is already bumped...I've noticed the my PS5 claims that my KS8500 is not capable of HDR, even when I have it set to HDR+ mode. I'm guessing it's an HDMI 2.1 thing, but I'm not sure how to make things work (firmware, using a different HDMI cable than the one which came with the PS5, or does Samsung's HDR implementation not play nicely with Sony).

I still love the TV, and I'm not going to buy a new one for a few more years, but I'd like to optimize what I have with the next-gen consoles.

Does anyone have a PS5 running in HDR with the KS8000/8500?

Last edited:

Pantz

Since this thread is already bumped...I've noticed the my PS5 claims that my KS8500 is not capable of HDR, even when I have it set to HDR+ mode. I'm guessing it's an HDMI 2.1 thing, but I'm not sure how to make things work (firmware, using a different HDMI cable than the one which came with the PS5, or does Samsung's HDR implementation not play nicely with Sony).

I still love the TV, and I'm not going to buy a new one for a few more years, but I'd like to optimize what I have with the next-gen consoles.

Picture>Expert Settings>HDMI UHD Color, make sure it's turned On for that HDMI port that it's in?

• Fire
Reactions: BJK

LooseLips

I ahve the KS8000 and have no trouble with HDR content on Series X and PS5. I definitely haven't changed any settings. Perhaps check cables/ reboot all devices? Sorry, not tremendously helpful advice - but it's what I'd do.

In other news, the picture is *definitely* better since the applying the lastest, surprise update!

Radical_3d

I’m pretty sure this tv doesn’t support 120Hz but since it’s listed in the specs I’ll ask anyways. I have the 9000 model (which is basically the same with a different stand) and the PS5 won’t let me access to the 120fps mode (on Dirt 5). Has someone managed to do something about it?

Last edited:

Pantz

I updated to 1243 manually and I have to wonder if I would notice a difference if not for others saying that it looks better. I'll buy into the hype though and say sure, it does look better!

Unless it's all in my head it seems like they adjusted colors. Reds look much better to me now, before they leaned a bit more magenta and would glow too much in HDR. Whites look nice now too and no longer glowing in HDR. It seems like they may have boosted bright yellows a bit too much though, they look a little like a yellow highlighter pen mixed with mustard. That yellow is pretty rare though so I'll take the trade. (I don't know how to calibrate these to be better on my own). Pinks and greens look really nice. Dumpster blue might be a bit too hot now but I'll take it if it means brighter skyboxes. Seafoam green seems to glow a lot. Is this really not all in my head?

Yeah I'll agree everything seems to pop more and look sharper and cleaner, even stuff at a long distance seems more visible.

LooseLips

I ahve the KS8000 and have no trouble with HDR content on Series X and PS5. I definitely haven't changed any settings. Perhaps check cables/ reboot all devices? Sorry, not tremendously helpful advice - but it's what I'd do.

In other news, the picture is *definitely* better since the applying the lastest, surprise update!

Dlacy13g

I updated to 1243 manually and I have to wonder if I would notice a difference if not for others saying that it looks better. I'll buy into the hype though and say sure, it does look better!

Unless it's all in my head it seems like they adjusted colors. Reds look much better to me now, before they leaned a bit more magenta and would glow too much in HDR. Whites look nice now too and no longer glowing in HDR. It seems like they may have boosted bright yellows a bit too much though, they look a little like a yellow highlighter pen mixed with mustard. That yellow is pretty rare though so I'll take the trade. (I don't know how to calibrate these to be better on my own). Pinks and greens look really nice. Dumpster blue might be a bit too hot now but I'll take it if it means brighter skyboxes. Seafoam green seems to glow a lot. Is this really not all in my head?

Yeah I'll agree everything seems to pop more and look sharper and cleaner, even stuff at a long distance seems more visible.
You are not alone the update seems to have fixed the problem the game mode settings had on the TV. Really pleased so far!

Last edited:

Pantz

Dang...

Turned my TV on just now and heard a *pop* noise. Now the audio is low and very muffled like it's underwater. Guessing the speaker killed itself?

EDIT: NEVERMIND.

I turned the TV off (already did this a few times). Heard ANOTHER *pop* noise when it turned off this time. Turned it back on and now audio is fixed. False alarm.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Dang...

Turned my TV on just now and heard a *pop* noise. Now the audio is low and very muffled like it's underwater. Guessing the speaker killed itself?

EDIT: NEVERMIND.

I turned the TV off (already did this a few times). Heard ANOTHER *pop* noise when it turned off this time. Turned it back on and now audio is fixed. False alarm.
Just Looool

philm87

Hi all.

I'm in a loop of messing with my TV settings and can't settle on anything! I'm guessing I'm not the only one that gets like that.

Can anyone give me some good settings they use on PS5/Series X HDR, and also for Netflix? I have the 1243 update.

Last edited:
Top Bottom