• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kyle Chandler killed the Friday Night Lights movie (Netflix tried to make it happen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

This blurb is from a cover story in THR about Bloodlines, its a long interview with Chandler that covers his whole career and of course FNL.

Though Chandler speaks affectionately about his time on FNL and has remained tight with Britton and Kitsch, it was he who hit the brakes on a movie follow-up. Katims had taken a pass at a script, and Netflix is said to be the last place that tried to make it happen, but Chandler acknowledges he's not interested. "The show ended perfectly," he says. "It was five seasons, it was really good, and I just didn't see a movie."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bar-hopping-kyle-chandler-friday-777332

When the movie was announced I was excited for more FNL of course, but I too felt that we didn't NEED more. The ending was indeed perfect. No better way for it to go out.

But damn it would've been nice to see those characters again sure.

Shows that had the perfect ending.

Spartacus
Breaking Bad
Rome
The Wire
Friday Night Lights

In my humble opinion.

He made the right call. A movie would have ruined the ending. We don't need to revisit the characters five/ten or however many years later. We get a glimpse of their new lives to give us closure and that's more than enough.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Everyone saying the show ended perfectly makes me want to binge so I can finally finish the last season. I have two more episodes in Season 4 and then all of Season 5. Haven't even completed the run and it is still one of my favorite shows ever.

I had some friends that were extras for the show, I wish I would have gotten into it when they would ask me to tag along to filmings. Haha

daveo42

Banned
I agree with him. No need for a movie. The show ended perfectly and no one needs to try and tack on any more. I'd love for more FNL, but there's no actual need for this.

That's where the show lost me. Maybe I should give it another shot. Really liked the first season.

You could skip it. There's only a few few things that happen through season 2 that carry over; they become obvious when you start watching season 3. Season 3 starts off trying to undo all the wrong season 2 did.

Blader

You could skip it. There's only a few few things that happen through season 2 that carry over; they become obvious when you start watching season 3. Season 3 starts off trying to undo all the wrong season 2 did.

It might be a case of S2 being cut in half by the writer's strike and the show simply picking up in S3 where it intended to originally leave off in S2. But as is, the S3 premiere is basically a reset button where a lot of shit from S2 gets swept under the rug with no reason given.

gdt

It might be a case of S2 being cut in half by the writer's strike and the show simply picking up in S3 where it intended to originally leave off in S2. But as is, the S3 premiere is basically a reset button where a lot of shit from S2 gets swept under the rug with no reason given.

Dat shower scene tho

Brandwin

Like others said, the show really couldn't have ended much better. I would love for more, but it's no needed.

Loved Coach Eric Taylor.

Favorite players - Dillon or East Dillon?

Julie and Becky >>>>

Birbo

Ended perfectly. Superb run of four seasons
and yes i'm ignoring s2

Recently finished my first viewing of season one, which I enjoyed. Started watching season two and by the end of the first episode, I have no desire to continue. I might try what's been suggested and skip it and try going right to season 3, but I hate feeling like I might miss some of the good stuff.

dork

Banned
Everyone saying the show ended perfectly makes me want to binge so I can finally finish the last season. I have two more episodes in Season 4 and then all of Season 5. Haven't even completed the run and it is still one of my favorite shows ever.

I had some friends that were extras for the show, I wish I would have gotten into it when they would ask me to tag along to filmings. Haha

If it wasn't for season 2, I would put it in a perfect show category. Even with season 2 its still one of my top 5 ever.

Aesius

Over the last decade, I've slowly began to feel that Kyle Chandler is one of the best people. I mean just flat-out best people.

Watching the show, I always oscillated between thinking Coach Taylor was a huge dick to thinking he was one of the greatest men to ever be portrayed in media.

Chandler is a fantastic actor and deserves to be in another big show.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
This doesn't exist?

s1cv3EK.jpg

For shame, man.

Bacon

Yeah he's right it did end perfectly, but the greedy side of me still wants to see more of those characters

Dat shower scene tho

Unfortunately, the stuff that led up to it made no sense for Saracen as a character, to the point they literally doubled back on all that development in season 3. Saracen really suffered the most in season 2, in my opinion.

Recently finished my first viewing of season one, which I enjoyed. Started watching season two and by the end of the first episode, I have no desire to continue. I might try what's been suggested and skip it and try going right to season 3, but I hate feeling like I might miss some of the good stuff.

There's only a handful of facts you need to know, which may or may not become evident when you start the first episode of season 3. Also, for the reasons that season 2 was such a screw-up, they backpedaled and said that most of the characters who we thought were seniors were actually sophomores when the series started. It works out because it gives the characters who need to move on proper send-offs.

Bacon

Unfortunately, the stuff that led up to it made no sense for Saracen as a character, to the point they literally doubled back on all that development in season 3. Saracen really suffered the most in season 2, in my opinion.

There's only a handful of facts you need to know, which may or may not become evident when you start the first episode of season 3. Also, for the reasons that season 2 was such a screw-up, they backpedaled and said that most of the characters who we thought were seniors were actually sophomores when the series started. It works out because it gives the characters who need to move on proper send-offs.

I loved how they basically just threw every storyline and character development from S2 out the window as soon as S3 started. It was so refreshing to see them basically admit that they went awry. I do realize the writers strike and TV deal was weird during that time so there were some obvious constraints while making S2 but man that season was rough. If I do a rewatch I'm just gonna skip that whole season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom