• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Noire for PC is the ultimate shabby console port

NBtoaster

It got a DX11 mode patched in but I don't think they changed anything else..

Remember if you buy from GMG it wont activate on Steam.

Aaron

You need a monster computer to run this game well, but if you do have a monster computer it looks amazing while running smooth as silk. So quad core, four gig memory, beefy video card, but if you have all that go for it. You don't get much for being Steam since it has its own internal patching system.

I'm running it on i7 920, 8GB RAM and a 5870, and I can't keep a smooth framerate with everything mostly at medium settings (1920x1080 full screen). It will be fine at some parts, but especially after coming in from a cut scene or starting in the car, the game will just chug.

Aaron

I'm running it on i7 920, 8GB RAM and a 5870, and I can't keep a smooth framerate with everything mostly at medium settings (1920x1080 full screen). It will be fine at some parts, but especially after coming in from a cut scene or starting in the car, the game will just chug.
I'm guessing it's your video card. With my 560ti I don't have this problem, and I run the game at max settings, including the B&W filter which caused a major performance hit on my old machine.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Did you miss the 23rd post? The only difference between low and high settings is the addition of (terrible) SSAO with the latter. Suffice to say, the game is going to perform unevenly regardless of your chosen settings.

Edit: You're brave for attempting to run this on a 5870. :p

linko9

I was worried there was something wrong with my machine. Not that I really care, the game is terrible. I thoroughly regret buying it (just $15 or something, but still).

I'm guessing it's your video card. With my 560ti I don't have this problem, and I run the game at max settings, including the B&W filter which caused a major performance hit on my old machine.

Did you miss the 23rd post? The only difference between low and high settings is the addition of (terrible) SSAO with the latter. Suffice to say, the game is going to perform unevenly regardless of your chosen settings.

Edit: You're brave for attempting to run this on a 5870. :p

Yeah, didn't see that. Even more disappointing.

My 5870 is certainly dated, but I was surprised with how poor the performance was when I've been able to run Battlefield, Witcher 2, and Arkham City at relatively high settings with very stable frame rates. Still making my way through though! :)

Aaron

Yeah, didn't see that. Even more disappointing.

My 5870 is certainly dated, but I was surprised with how poor the performance was when I've been able to run Battlefield, Witcher 2, and Arkham City at relatively high settings with very stable frame rates. Still making my way through though! :)
LA Noire is more demanding than a maxed out Skyrim, so don't be surprised. I'm amazed the thing can run on a console because the PC version pretty much doesn't scale at all.

Loxley

I would argue the PC version of Resident Evil 4 takes the title.

Bob Capcom: "Our research has shown that the one thing PC gamers hate more than anything is mouse support. Let's take that out ASAP. Keyboard turning gentlemen, it's the future."

...but its no worse than the console version. Its the fact that its barely any better that's the problem.

I agree but on console it comes out first and I dont have to wait for some shoddy ass port. I play PC games on PC and console games on console. Its unfortunately thats how it is cause PC hardware should be able to crush these console games. These companies only care where the money is at.

my PC can brute force it in 3D at 1080p without ever dropping the frame rate, so i don't have any problems with it, but optimised it is not. i do worry about Max Payne 3 on PC. i will not be happy with GTA4 levels of performance.

stuminus3

Banned
I agree but on console it comes out first and I dont have to wait for some shoddy ass port. I play PC games on PC and console games on console. Its unfortunately thats how it is cause PC hardware should be able to crush these console games. These companies only care where the money is at.
In 99% of cases decent PC hardware does crush console games. I know this to be factual because I have my mid-range PC hooked up to the same 46" HDTV as my consoles are, and I have an annoying habit of double-dipping on PC/console games. The difference in many games is night and day on image quality alone.

Rockstar are just shit.

AEREC

I had alot of issues with jittery framerate until I used -str in the command line. Has been smooth ever since...well as smooth as 30fps can be.

Is there any trick to getting DX11 mode to work? I change the setting in the launcher but it never hows up on screen in the version number. Always ticks back to DX9.

I'm finally playing this on the pc (steam back log, sad same old store) Ok, the game looks weird. I've played with the settings and nothing seems to improve the visual qualify. AA and texture filtering looks jacked up and the screen is covered in some sort of texture. Any tips on how to make it look less ugly?

I have an i860 cpu, 16 gigs of ram and an Nvidia 560ti with 2 gigs.

Top Bottom