• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lacking compelling ideas, NBC orders a Taken prequel TV series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
- The Hollywood Reporter: 'Taken' TV Prequel Picked Up Straight to Series at NBC
Luc Besson is revisiting Taken with NBC.

The network on Thursday handed out a straight-to-series order for a drama prequel based on the 2008 action thriller written by Besson, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

The drama hails from Universal Television and EuropaCorp, which produced the Liam Neeson feature film that helped transform the actor into an action star. There is no writer or showrunner attached to the reboot, though a search is underway. Also undetermined is the number of episodes that the Taken prequel will feature.

The original film starred Neeson as Bryan Mills, a retired CIA operative on a mission to save his daughter. NBC's modern-day prequel would focus on how a young Bryan honed his skills and became the character depicted in the feature.

So... it's just a generic show about a CIA operative named Bryan Mills with the Taken brand slapped on top?

Throwing out a straight-to-series order for nothing more than an IP... NBC is really dedicated to exploring the bottom of the barrel.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Still makes more sense than Retakening 2 and 3.

jb1234

It's a generic enough concept to where they might actually be able to get a lowest common denominator audience with it.

Rymuth

So instead of looking, he will be told where to go?
Instead of finding, he will stumble?
And instead of killing he will maim or seriously injure?

Doesn't sound compelling at all.

the chris

v6xNXfE.gif

They didn't renew that Taxi Cop show?

Yo LOL! That shit was terrible..only watched it because I was in the mood for something with a completely ridiculous premise..

Oh my god, Taxi was adapted as a TV show in the US????

How did I not know this?

For those who don't know Taxi was a french series of movies revolving around the relationship between a taxi driver and a cop. It was also created by Luc Besson

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Oh my god, Taxi was adapted as a TV show in the US????

How did I not know this?

For those who don't know Taxi was a french series of movies revolving around the relationship between a taxi driver and a cop. It was also created by Luc Besson

Was it a comedy?

barik

If you're this goddamn desperate I can write a show for you, NBC? Here, off the top of my head:

- a show where we find out that when people go into a coma, they enter a parallel world (like the matrix). Our hero goes into this world to stop a serial killer (who's in a coma) from committing parallel world murders. Call it ComaCrimes.
- a show about a company that sponsors Esports competitors, and getting them out of all kinds of craaazy situations
- a sitcom about a diverse group of young, struggling artists
- a show like Knight Rider, but in New York, and also the car is a taxi

you're welcome

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
"NBC's modern-day prequel would focus on how a young Bryan honed his skills and became the character depicted in the feature."

So, policeCIA procedural.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
NBC chose the wrong brand to spin-off. Everyone watches Taken for Neeson... not because his character was great.

Busty

Banned
If this was a foreign financed production (like Gaumont's Hannibal, Taxi Brooklyn) then it makes for NBC to pick it up as it would be a great deal cheaper given that it would be an acquisition rather than an in-house production.

But this looks like it's actually a network show made by Universal TV and Europa which begs the question who is the audience for this show with no Liam Neeson?

And what would it be called? Taken : The Series? Took?

Pffft.

Busty

Banned
A prequel series and a follow up series that follows Bryan Mills (played by Neeson) as he opens a shop that makes muffins and fresh rolls.

It'll be called
Bakin'.

I'll get me coat.

I don't know who the executive is who green lighted this, but i have a particular set of skills that will make life unpleasant for him, i will find him and i will kill him

Knoxcore

It's not about lacking ideas. Studios want to minimize risk so they produce shows based on existing IPs. As a studio would you rather produce something brand new or would you rather produce something with an established fan base? Limitless, Minority Report, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Bates Motel etc. It's the nature of the game in Hollywood. I don't blame them. Although, sometimes they take the risk and the payoff is worth it.

Downhome

I didn't know there was a thread for this already, but I'll post what I said here too (or part of it...

I subscribe to a newsletter that goes over all kinds of films and TV shows in development and current production, and I just noticed this one listed in the one I'm going over today. I love the basic listing for this one in the newsletter...

"A prequel drama about a young Bryan Mills, a young man with no wife and kids. "The series will focus on how Mills acquires his 'very particular set of skills' and becomes the character we all know. The series will bend time as it will be set in modern day, not decades in the past."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom