• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga BORN THIS WAY Album |OT| Thread of Unicorns and Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

KR6Pf.jpg

vVEAL.jpg

gUF0T.jpg
8RaIC.jpg
lD0qn.jpg
hxrCN.jpg

• Name: Born This Way
  • Editions: ✟ Standard Edition ✟ Expanded Edition ✟ Super Expanded ✟ Digital Release ✟ USB Edition ✟ As Part of "The Collection"
  • Release Date: 23rd May 2011
  • Genre: Electro-pop
  • Length: ~ 65 Minutes
  • Producers: ✟ Lady GaGa ✟ RedOne ✟ Fernando Garibay ✟ DJ White Shadow ✟
  • Major Collaborators: Brian May (QUEEN) ✟ Clarence Clemons (E Street Band) ✟ Robert “Mutt” Lange (AC/DC) ✟
event.png

V47av.jpg

• The writing of the album took place in 2010 during her Monster Ball Tour.
  • 14 tracks will be on the standard edition
  • 17 tracks will be on the expanded edition, along with five exclusive remixes
  • Gaga claims the album is much more vocally up to par with what I’ve always been capable of. It’s more electronic, but I have married a very theatrical vocal to it. It’s like a giant musical-opus theater piece.
  • Gaga says she’s moved on with writing songs about her quest for fame to crafting tunes with an angry, perhaps political bent.
  • “Why are we still talking about ‘Don’t ask, don’t tell’?” she says. “It’s like, what fucking year is it? It makes me crazy! And I have been for three years baking cakes — and now I’m going to bake a cake that has a bitter jelly. The message of the new music is now more bitter than it was before. Because the sweeter the cake, the more bitter the jelly can be.”
  • "Everyone tells me I’m arrogant but my music’s the only thing I’ve got, so you’ll have to let me be confident about one thing. I suppose that’s what you can expect from the album: a lot of hit records that will piss people off."
  • "The album is a marriage of electronic music with major, epic, dare I even say, metal or rock 'n' roll, pop, anthemic style melodies with really sledge-hammering dance beats. It's finished and all, it's just fine-tuning everything. It's kind of like the post-operative stage of the album. I've already done the full heart surgery. I'm just sewing myself back up again. I think that lyrically this album is more poetic. It's really written by the fans, they really wrote it for me because every night they're funneling so much into me. So I wrote it for them. Born This Way is all about my little monsters and me, mother monster."
Mkdpc.jpg

SINGLES

NON-SINGLE TRACKS
  • #3 Government Hookerhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8uMXyxvbKA
  • Gaga talks about the song: "The humour is that a machine in tells me what to do and I happily do it as long as I get fucked."
  • Lady Gaga revealed on twitter that the song was inspired by Marlyn Monroe and other political mistresses. Gaga wondered what the mistresses were privy of and what they affected.
  • #5 Americanohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHGKG9dyTKI
  • Gaga says Americano is about: "about immigration law and gay marriage and all sorts of things that have to do with disenfranchised communities in America."
  • Told as a love story between Gaga and a girl from L.A., this is an acid house-fuelled Mexican-themed footstomper
  • Gaga revealed on twitter that the song was about what the American Dream means to her.
  • #6 Hairhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okq8xHrIZ8I
  • Gaga says the song is about how our hair acts as a form of individuality.[/i]
  • Recalls times when Gaga would be dressed in school uniform and the only way to show off her personality was through her hair
  • #7 Scheißehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sNi9nIXxVo
  • the song was written a day after going to a "dirty party" in Berlin, and that it was about wanting to be bad without permission
  • Gaga says "this song is really about wanting to be a strong female without all the bullshit that comes along with. "
  • #8 Bloody Maryhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwmKL5OL-Q
  • Bloody Mary is quite subtle actually, it's a song about Mary being divine and human at the same time, with a subtext.
  • About the role of a woman who is supposed to be a superstar and a real woman at the same time.
  • #9 Bad Kidshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxhjHz9FYQE
  • Bad Kids was inspired by the many stories of Little Monsters that she had heard while on The Monster Ball Tour, and that the song was a tribute to their stories
  • Extra lyrics are included in the booklet that are not on the album, these are intended to be sung along with fans at the upcoming live tour
  • #12 Electric Chapelhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDt_oagItBM
  • Electric Chapel was written between Australia and Europe on Gaga's tour bus
  • Gaga called the Monster Ball an "Electric Chapel", where her fans can go.
  • The song is apparently about how people need to feel safe when finding love

BONUS TRACKS (Available in Expanded Editions only)
  • Bonus #1 Black Jesus † Amen Fashionhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWL4u3Exiq8
  • Lyrics describe how when Gaga moved downtown, she was introduced to an entirely new way of thinking that was so different from the way she was taught.
  • Regarding the "Black Jesus" term, iconic imagery had taught her her entire life to look at Jesus and religion a certain way. So she sees Black Jesus as an entirely new way of thinking, which she believed was caused by meeting new people and seeing new things
  • The Amen Fashion part of the song is about having a new way of seeing is as easy as changing your fashion.

UNRELEASED TRACKS / B-SIDES
  • Leaked #1 Take You Outhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXMaF4dtDlA
  • Leaked by an unknown leaker
  • Gaga confirmed the song was up for consideration for her debut album, The Fame, but eventually became an outtake.
  • Gaga wrote the song for an unnamed artist to sing as a World Cup song
  • The song samples M's song "Pop Muzik" and Kool & The Gang's "Let's Go Dancing (Oh La La La)
  • B-Side #1 Stuck on Fuckin' Youhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXje0s_bOa4
  • Gaga released the song on Christmas 2011
  • Vocals were recorded in one take and subsequently produced by Fernando Garibay and DJ White Shadow
  • The last ninety seconds are freestyled by Gaga
  • Written in the Tour Bus following the Minnesota Monster Ball
KcQfW.jpg

O4WYa.jpg

• Tour was first announced February 19th 2011 at the Monster Ball Tour.
  • Original plan was to start at the end of 2011, but that idea seems to have fallen through
  • Gaga wants the BORN THIS WAY BALL to be a natural continuation of The Monster Ball.
  • Gaga mentioned quite casually that a possibly title could be The Born This Way Ball: Inside The Electric Chapel
  • Gaga confirmed via Twitter (almost six months ago) that she will be singing Just Dance, Poker Face, Lovegame, Paparazzi, Dance In The Dark and Heavy Metal Lover on the tour
  • The Born This Way Ball Tour may, if other varibales permit, spend a longer time in Australia than The Monster Ball did.
  • At the iHeart Radio Music Festival, Gaga displayed an interlude titled "Hooker Film".
  • A supposedly "leaked" preliminary setlist has been leaked and is available here.
  • On the 29th December 2011, Gaga tweeted that she was designing merchandise for the new tour. We'll apparently "die" when we see it. She hashed the tweet with #deathbyinexpensiveglamour
  • The current and recurring rumour is that Gaga will release a second album (presumable similar to what The Fame Monster did for The Fame) and then tour to support both Born This Way and it's follow-up, though this has yet to be confirmed

CURRENT LIVE PERFORMANCES

b2IH8.jpg

To promote the album, Lady Gaga is releasing small webisodes known as GAGAVISION. During each of these, usually something cool or important is revealed. These episodes also have some as of yet unidentified tunes from the new album. These webisodes basically follow Gaga on the final shows of the Monster Ball Tour, as well as her working on the Born This Way album. They are particularly interesting and sometimes funny too.
WV39S.jpg

ckipd.jpg

THE FAME ERA 2008 -2009

The album that really put Gaga on the map, with the main theme being Fame and how anyone can feel famous enough if they try hard. I personally feel that a lot of this album could be single worthy content, but the five songs chosen definitely stood out as being amazing.
8UqC8.jpg

THE MONSTER ERA 2009 - 2011

Definitive proof that quality is much more important than quantity, THE FAME MONSTER was released by itself as an eight track follow up to THE FAME, and bundled with Gaga's original album for good measure. The eight tracks that feature on this album are amazing, with so much effort put into them. There's nothing on here that really disappoints and a diverse range of sounds too. This is, so far, Gaga's Magnum Opus.
sgO7g.jpg

The Cherrytree Sessions 2009

An early collection of GaGa's first three singles, sung live and stripped down. These tracks really do a good job of demonstrating GaGa's vocal talents, everything here is totally unedited and raw.

1. Just Dance (Stripped Down Version
  2. Poker Face (Acoustic Version)
  3. Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say) [Electric Piano & Human Beatbox Version]

U7nYp.gif

Cyport

Great OT and I cannot wait! I hope she comes to the UK before the end of the year but I'm betting on March. I will probably buy the CD version (first time in 5 years buying a physical CD)

border

That's actually the album artwork??

People kept posting it in the other thread and I just thought it was a goofy-as-hell photoshop meant to mock Lady Gaga....

ilikeme

The snippets of Marry the Night and Electric Chapel are so fucking cool.

I'm so very hyped. HBO Monster Ball got to me so hard. I'll be at the Born This Way Ball at least twice :D

oh and awesome OT <3

GhaleonQ

So, do you guys follow/reward the producers who write the songs outside of Lady Gaga's catalog?

For instance, I'm a big Paul Epworth fan. He co-wrote my favorite Annie songs. So, I find it frustrating that fan of Adele's Rolling In The Deep (which he did) don't explore his other work and, soon, a musician I find superior (Annie).

Do you buy RedOne's other stuff, or do you only like his music funneled through her voice (figurative and literal)?

.JayZii

Banned
I unashamedly like Lady Gaga. Her music is catchy, she can actually sing, and she has really cool sets/costumes/etc. There's even a good message under it all, so screw the haters.

Zozz

Banned
Hopefully the rest of the album is better then the singles they've put out. So far I am disappointed.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
*sigh* one day she'll work with stuart price and my world will be shattered. It's only a matter of time.

Tucah

you speak so well
Edge of Glory, holy shit. This is more of what I hoped the album would be like, not a huge fan of BTW or Judas.

Sydle

So ready for this. Watching her performance on HBO last night has my hyped for everything Gaga. Bring it!

LOL, Edge of Glory sounds like it could have been some bland ballad written for Celine Dion or something and Gaga just decided to remix it. So blah.

Mason

Man, I've been completely underwhelmed by everything coming out of the Gaga camp lately. This is better than Judas and Born This Way, but that's not saying much. I don't know what I was expecting...

I guess I remember when Sexyback hit the radio and it sounded like absolutely nothing anybody was expecting from Justin Timberlake, but it was amazing. I suppose I was hoping to be surprised in the same way by the tracks from Born This Way, but it's been completely the opposite. A ton of advance hype (which certainly doesn't help to manage expectations) and then just... blah, boring meh tracks. Again, maybe in expecting to be blown away, I've been expecting too much.

Think I'll be sticking with Femme Fatale for my 'female pop club music' this summer. Still really excited for Government Hooker though; that preview at the Mugler show was by far the most intriguing snippet I've heard thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom