• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Guardian delayed

Im still in day one. To me the amount of time this game has been in development hasn't tarnished the game for me.

People talk about the hype and how this game will not achieve the level of hype it has. I say that the time it takes shouldn't affect the game if its good. Just my 2 cents.

Matticers

I'm glad it's delayed since there were too many games coming out around that time. Hell, there will still be too many games to get through during December. I'd prefer to see a February release date but this could work.

Spman2099

This game, man...

Well, I am down no matter what. I really hope this ends up matching Ico and SotC. That will make it all worth it.

Holy shit... It's crazy because I was going to post in that other thread about TLG being released next month. Was going to say "DON'T YOU JINX THAT SHIT MAN!" but decided not to....

HE JINXED IT!

Hope they get a pro version going then and for all the shit this games been through, I guess end of 2016 is better than nothing.... shit... i might have jinxed 2016... :(

Ludens

Banned
HJj2Knt.jpg

Lady Gaia

Unless theyve shown off some new footage, I seriously doubt the PS4 pro would have any effect on how TLG looks or runs.

I think it may actually benefit more than the average title.

Everything we've seen so far could benefit from improved sub-sampling to sell the more organic elements of the game from dense grass to Trico's own plumage. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if some of the extra time is invested in adopting techniques pioneered by other teams exploring how to best make use of the Pro hardware.

The art style also leans into heavy overexposure, something that would pop incredibly well with HDR. Both Ico and Shadow of the Collosus used HDR techniques in their rendering pipeline but were limited by the output characteristics of past display technology.

rackham

Banned
I've long since accepted that this game won't be out until it's actually in people's hands. Don't pay attention to release dates

Kssio_Aug

I'm glad it's delayed since there were too many games coming out around that time. Hell, there will still be too many games to get through during December. I'd prefer to see a February release date but this could work.

I don't understand why people keep saying this nonsense. "I'm glad it's delayed cause there's too many games!". It doesn't make any sense!!

If the game is released as scheduled (what probably means everything went as planned) and there are too many games for you to buy, you can buy it later and who knows even get it a bit cheaper.

There's nothing stopping from buying it later.

Holy shit... It's crazy because I was going to post in that other thread about TLG being released next month. Was going to say "DON'T YOU JINX THAT SHIT MAN!" but decided not to....

HE JINXED IT!

Hope they get a pro version going then and for all the shit this games been through, I guess end of 2016 is better than nothing.... shit... i might have jinxed 2016... :(
I'm officially responsible for The Last Guardian's delay

AgeEighty

Impressions from demos seem to have reported that the game still has a few rough edges; framerate inconsistencies and the like. If they need another six weeks to iron those out then it's better that way.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I think it may actually benefit more than the average title.

Everything we've seen so far could benefit from improved sub-sampling to sell the more organic elements of the game from dense grass to Trico's own plumage. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if some of the extra time is invested in adopting techniques pioneered by other teams exploring how to best make use of the Pro hardware.

The art style also leans into heavy overexposure, something that would pop incredibly well with HDR. Both Ico and Shadow of the Collosus used HDR techniques in their rendering pipeline but were limited by the output characteristics of past display technology.
Lady Gaia, what is your gut feeling on potential PS4 Pro version on this game?
I'm personally holding off for that.

Spaghetti

Even though I have no plans on buying TLG, I went a bit pale and clammy when I saw the thread title.

Glad it's still 2016 though! Hope everybody who wants it enjoys it.

catbrush

I don't understand why people keep saying this nonsense. "I'm glad it's delayed cause there's too many games!". It doesn't make any sense!!

If the game is released as scheduled (what probably means everything went as planned) and there are too many games for you to buy, you can buy it later and who knows even get it a bit cheaper.

There's nothing stopping from buying it later.
Buy it later? But by then the new crack will be out.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So Sony's Japan Studio is fighting itself for the same market in the same week? What a clusterfuck.

In many ways Sony did a good job at the start of this generation with their hardware and positioning, but software timing and project failure has been a total shitshow. I honestly don't think Shu is doing a very good job.

Servbot24

Banned
So Sony's Japan Studio is fighting itself for the same market in the same week? What a clusterfuck.

In many ways Sony did a good job at the start of this generation with their hardware and positioning, but software timing and project failure has been a total shitshow. I honestly don't think Shu is doing a very good job.

So do you want him to delay GR2, or force TLG out the door with potentially game-breaking bugs? Or just give both games to the fans when they're ready and take a sales hit (to a game that wasn't going to sell anyways)?

Shin-chan

Not to mention the fact that Shu has very little to do with the day to day running of the studios so naming him as the point of blame is a bit silly.

The real problem is whoever decides to announce release dates. Here's a hint: in future, Sony, when you think you've got a release date in mind, just add 6 weeks minimum because we know that you'll delay it to polish if necessary and because this is game development it's almost always necessary.

Humdinger

Gold Member
That's an unfortunate new release date, this game and Gravity Rush 2 already have limited appeal and they're releasing during the holiday season and right after Final Fantasy XV no less. They're going to get lost in the shuffle big time.

Ouch, you're right, I forgot about the fact that FFXV is already casting a big Japanese shadow over that time period. Oy. Poor little Gravity Rush.

Not to mention the fact that Shu has very little to do with the day to day running of the studios so naming him as the point of blame is a bit silly.

The real problem is whoever decides to announce release dates. Here's a hint: in future, Sony, when you think you've got a release date in mind, just add 6 weeks minimum because we know that you'll delay it to polish if necessary and because this is game development it's almost always necessary.

He his the one overseeing them. If most of the studio you oversee have their game continuously delayed then the common denominator is you.

Or is that just a coincidence?

Alright, I'm officially worried.

....a 5 week delay has you worried..... After all this time? It's easier to find out which big games HAVENT been delayed this gen. It happens, and you should be happy that they care enough about these games to delay them rather than getting another AC:Unity.

We've been waiting for this game for a decade, whats another month?

Lady Gaia

Lady Gaia, what is your gut feeling on potential PS4 Pro version on this game?
I'm personally holding off for that.

As far as I know all titles going forward will be PS4 Pro enabled on day one, so I expect the kinds of benefits I enumerated to be visible the day TLG is available.

It's only existing titles that can stay stuck in base PS4 mode without active developer intervention in the form of a patch.

Yes at this point it has to.
Maybe at TGS they'll announce more details starting tomorrow.
Better resolution and HDR support should be expected as a minimum.

Yeah I hope so, the current image quality looks a bit nasty. If they could hit native 4K that would be sweet.

Shoeless

I actually did wonder if the complications of needing to have Pro mode might not have contributed to their problems if they are a smaller team. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if they needed an extra month to iron out those bugs now it's mandatory for all games going forward to have some kind of Pro mode performance boost, especially since that mode likely needs to cater to both 1080p and 4K display owners.

Ducktail

There was a recent topic where the OP expressed how difficult it was to understand the game was just a month away from being released.

Well, there it is. We weren't ready for it.

Top Bottom