• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last of the Mohicans DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

Is there a dvd verion of Last of the Mohicans that is the original theatrical version? I really didn't like the added extras of the director's cut. I couldn't find this on amazon, but was the theatrical version ever released on dvd?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The theatrical cut was released in the UK, so you'd have to be able to play Region 2 discs.

No Region 1 though, sorry.

bionic77

I might have to get me a region free player and a pal version of this movie.

This movie is too damn good for me not to own it on dvd. I already have the VHS version, but I won't pay for that director's cut.

bionic77

Since I can't buy a decent dvd copy of this movie in the US, how about we just talk about how fucking awesome this movie is.

I have to watch the entire thing everytime it comes up cable.

number386

Last of the Mohecians was awesome I have the directors edition with DTS, I agree the theatrical cut was better. I saw it multiple times in the theatre.

The funny thing is this one reviews quote stuck with me all these years, I forgot who the reviewer was but he said Last of the Mohecians is "Die Hard with a tomahawk." :lol

God that was a long time ago, I feel old. =(

bionic77

Flying Llama said:
Last of the Mohecians was awesome I have the directors edition with DTS, I agree the theatrical cut was better. I saw it multiple times in the theatre.

The funny thing is this one reviews quote stuck with me all these years, I forgot who the reviewer was but he said Last of the Mohecians is "Die Hard with a tomahawk." :lol

God that was a long time ago, I feel old. =(

That is the craziest quote ever. :lol

It is a shame that not many people have seen this movie though. :(

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
i had to watch this movie in school... just wanted to echo that it is indeed a very good movie. good luck with your dvd endeavours, bionic. :)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the best actors alive. Everything he's done is gold.

number386

bionic77 said:
That is the craziest quote ever. :lol

It is a shame that not many people have seen this movie though. :(

According to:
the-numbers.com (The site was introduced to me by Dan in another topic so kudos go to him)

Last of the Mohicans pulled in 72 million domestically. Not as well as I liked but factoring in inflation from 1992, it did OK I guess.

I think it aged pretty well a lot of people I know still remember it, I'm not sure about the younger generation though.

bionic77 said:
I might have to get me a region free player and a pal version of this movie.

This movie is too damn good for me not to own it on dvd. I already have the VHS version, but I won't pay for that director's cut.

Out of curiosity, what did you dislike about the director's cut?

hiryu

This is one of my favorite movies ever. I've seen it at least a hundred times. The region 1 dvd release was kind of a dissapointment. Not only does the director's cut seem akward but the movie isn't anamorphic either. At least, I don't think it is. I'm hoping they do a deluxe version or something that has both cuts of the movie on it and has a proper transfer.

Tritroid

I have the special edition Mohicans DVD, but then what DVD ISN'T special edition now a days? :lol

The movie is brilliant and actually follows the book remotely well. I still cringe at the scene where Magua cuts out Monroe's heart. @_@

Tritroid

FortNinety said:
I'm curious, what are the changes?
It's just a few of the deleted scenes added in. Though right now I can't recall many...

I think there's added footage underneath the waterfall, and then there's a shot they put in that shows Monroe's face after his heart has been cut out.

Tritroid said:
The movie is brilliant and actually follows the book remotely well.

I love the movie as well, but it rearranges the book a great deal. The love interests are reversed: in the book the romance develops between Uncas (the actual last of the Mohicans) and Cora (who is part black), and Duncan Heyward is interested in Alice. The last third of the book is much more complicated, and Cora eventually dies. Hawkeye has no love interest. And there's no David Gamut in the film (thank God though because his character is ridiculously annoying).

bionic77

brooklyngooner said:
Out of curiosity, what did you dislike about the director's cut?

There are some added scenes that IMO ruin the flow of the movie. Didn't he take out that part with the song as well?

Why can't they give us two versions when something hits dvd? This is Star Wars all over again. :(

LaneMeyer

bionic77 said:
There are some added scenes that IMO ruin the flow of the movie. Didn't he take out that part with the song as well?
yes, they took out the part with the song by Clannad. i have it on VHS and when i got the directors DVD i was severely disappointed and havent watched it since.

its only of my all time fav movies.

bionic77

LaneMeyer said:
yes, they took out the part with the song by Clannad. i have it on VHS and when i got the directors DVD i was severely disappointed and havent watched it since.

its only of my all time fav movies.

I have a cousin in the UK, I am going to bug him to send me a DVD of the movie as someone said that version is still the theatrical. Those cheap 30 dollar dvd players at walmart are universal too, so that solves the region problem.

Btw, they show the director's cut on cable sometimes if you have digital cable or satellite. That is where I always end up watching it (I always tell myself I have work or something else to do but I always get sucked into watching it). This is one of the most depressingly sad movies you will ever see and yet it just done so damn well that you can't help but love it.

I prefer the director's cut. i actually like the pacing better. and i never liked the clannad bit; too me it's way out of place and hokey with that north carolina foliage

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Michael Mann is awesome, but damn if he didn't drop the ball on his Director's Cut for this movie.

LaneMeyer

Littleberu said:
It's amazing how a mohican can shoot a bullseye with a musket. Awesome.
amazing indeed when you think their food depends on it. perhaps they practice a bit when they take time off from carving spearheads and scalping.

LaneMeyer said:
amazing indeed when you think their food depends on it. perhaps they practice a bit when they take time off from carving spearheads and scalping.

Their... food? So before we came here, they were dying? And you're gonna tell me that every Mohican was fit and muscular too? And that they were able to carry two musket at once, while still fighting? What the hell. It's fiction, it's cheezy and ridiculous.

bionic77

Littleberu said:
Their... food? So before we came here, they were dying? And you're gonna tell me that every Mohican was fit and muscular too? And that they were able to carry two musket at once, while still fighting? What the hell. It's fiction, it's cheezy and ridiculous.

Leave this thread and never return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom