• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LAT: Oakland Athletics introduce monthly pass [$19.99]

Tripon

The Oakland Athletics have the second-worst attendance rate of any team in Major League Baseball. They average 16,159 fans per game, meaning more than half the seats at Oakland Coliseum are often empty.

Starting in June, fans will be able to purchase a monthly ballpark pass — good for admission to any home game that month, as long as there's no sellout — for $19.99.

The cheapest individual-game seats available for A's games are $15, according to the team's website. So for just five bucks more, a diehard fan could attend all 15 home games in June. That comes out to $1.33 per game. Not bad.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-oakland-athletics-monthly-pass-20170512-story.html

I would buy that in a heartbeat if I lived nearby, or near any stadium that offered such a thing. Baseball is baseball even if my team sucks.

Sephzilla

*check's standings*

16-18 and 7.5 games out of first.

I think the best way to get fans into the ballpark would be winning more games and/or at least being within better distance of first place. That being said, the monthly pass concept is a really good idea.

So does that mean they're starting at $19.99 for the cheapest seats, they only offer the monthly passes for the cheapest seats, or some other option? The article makes it sound like the second option but it's pretty ambiguous. If it's only available for the cheapest seats, I can't imagine it helping attendance all that much. People aren't going to want to regularly make it to baseball games where they can barely see the action. Actually going to the park is often a bigger deal than paying the price of admission and with it being in Oakland, I'm sure that's an even bigger issue than most stadiums.

Tripon

*check's standings*

I think the best way to get fans into the ballpark would be winning more games and/or at least being within better distance of first place. That being said, the monthly pass concept is a really good idea.

Even when the team was good and going for division titles, attendance wasn't good.

The stadium is a dump.

Mortemis

Banned
man that's a damn awesome deal

would get this in a heartbeat if my team was doing it, hell I'd get that for any team if I lived close enough

MindofKB

Even when the team was good and going for division titles, attendance wasn't good.

The stadium is a dump.

Yeah, the stadium is horrible. I went last season to a random weekend game with the wife and we got seats 2 rows behind home plate for $35 each. The tickets were really that cheap lol. Even with prices that low, attendance was poor as hell.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
When I go to Citi Field I often prefer to walk around/stand and watch the game while I drink and eat. I'd take a pass for that stadium without the necessity of a seat if it was cheap. Maybe I'm weird.

Pejo

When the Pirates are in town, I might actually do the month pass. I've been to a few Giants game since I moved to the area but never an A's game.

Schlep

Not being from the area, I've never understood how the Giants are always near the top of attendance and A's always near or at the bottom.

Futureman

Damn I'd jump on this if the Pirates did it, good deal Oakland Fans, all 4 of you.

This is looking like it might be their worst season of the last 4 or so since they've been better but I think they still do pretty damn good with ticket sales.

Fatalah

Not being from the area, I've never understood how the Giants are always near the top of attendance and A's always near or at the bottom.

The Giants won 3 WS in a 5 year span not too long ago. Plus Barry Bonds, plus having a larger fanbase from NY when they moved decades ago. Philadelphia Athletics weren't a huge deal.

Quixzlizx

I don't think this will be a problem with the As, but I know some sports teams have bogus sellout streaks. I'd be pissed if I showed up and was turned away at the gate, then saw empty seats while watching on TV.

jwhit28

Will the A's get a new stadium once this Raiders stuff is done with? Of all the new stadiums in the last 10 years that place seems to need it the most.

Glix

Awesome idea. I assume the margins are so high on beer and snacks that they still make out pretty well.

Also having more butts in the seats should have a good effect on the team.

Chris R

Insane deal. I'd bite on it in a second if I lived in the bay area

but I'd also probably already have season tickets if I was in Oakland and an As fan

kris.

Banned
*check's standings*

tell that to the Indians. made it to game 7 of the World Series last year and currently one game out of 1st place in the division and they're 27th in regards to average attendance this year so far.

gimmmick

Maybe if you didn't play in roto rooter field and shipped off key players of the team every 3 - 4 years than maybe people would actually go to games more often. And they wonder why the raiders left Oakland for Las Vegas.

Chris R

tell that to the Indians. made it to game 7 of the World Series last year and currently one game out of 1st place in the division and they're 27th in regards to average attendance this year so far.

How cold was it in April? Though Detroit isn't too far away and has averaged 8k more per game...

Yeah, that particular conversation was about the Red Sox.

I don't follow baseball but I do know Red Sox were BS'ing about some sellout streak a while ago

While the end of it may have involved a bit of BSing, the first few years of it were legitimate.
Source: Trying to buy tickets, being unable to do so

plus having a larger fanbase from NY when they moved decades ago

That was 60 years ago. I would imagine most of that generation has passed on or nearly so.

Top Bottom