• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latin American Football |OT| Sponsored By Televisa

mozfan12

Banned
River should have had a couple more yellows but understandably its a final. I just hope Gingac does not lose it. Already getting a bit too angry.

mozfan12

Banned
3 final games played in Mexico and neither have Cruz Azul, Chivas and now Tigres have been able to win the away leg. Ughh, bad fucking result.

Tuca also loves to play on the counter so it's not over, in the group stages they were able to almost nick a win at the Monumental playing the traditional Tuca way, but man is it going to be hard.

I think that although the result isn't too favorable for Tigres, that it also isn't bad. Since the away goal rule is not in effect, Tigres is all square for the game in Monumental. Tuca's teams have a great counterattacking style and I truly believe that they will score over there. Tigres plays better when the initiative is on the other team so if anything, playing away games suits them more. I'm confident they can pull of the win unless CONMEBOL decides to, well, be CONMEBOL.

Calvero

Banned
I think that although the result isn't too favorable for Tigres, that it also isn't bad. Since the away goal rule is not in effect, Tigres is all square for the game in Monumental. Tuca's teams have a great counterattacking style and I truly believe that they will score over there. Tigres plays better when the initiative is on the other team so if anything, playing away games suits them more. I'm confident they can pull of the win unless CONMEBOL decides to, well, be CONMEBOL.

So there's no hope. :(

So there's no hope. :(

Hahaha, so it would seem. Truth be told, I think Mexican teams have finally earned some respect within the Libertadores. We've been competing since '98 and even though we are only invited for monetary reasons, they don't seem to rob us that blatantly and "descaradament," as before when we first started competing. But we'll see what happens. I'll still be rooting for Mexico to win it's first Libertadores, even though I wish it would've been Chivas. But I'm okay with Tigres winning it. Not hate-able like America.

hunnies28

So, as a mexican that does not like futbol (zero interest sadly) I have a real hard time socializing , especially in my work enviroment. Anyone here can offer helpful advice so I can at least appear to give a damn about it?

To no latin-american GAF, seriously, soccer is like a religion here, I've seen people who otherwise hate each others guts find out they support the same team and become best buds. Even girls show more passion for the sport than I do.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So, as a mexican that does not like futbol (zero interest sadly) I have a real hard time socializing , especially in my work enviroment. Anyone here can offer helpful advice so I can at least appear to give a damn about it?
Try to at least watch the National Team matches? Get to know some of the players.

-Eddman-

To no latin-american GAF, seriously, soccer is like a religion here, I've seen people who otherwise hate each others guts find out they support the same team and become best buds. Even girls show more passion for the sport than I do.

Become a Pumas fan and brag about how you also care about politics and social issues. That's how being a villamelon works in this country.

SalvaPot

Don´t worry too much about it, if you don´t care that much just pick a team and follow its results, read who scored and if you have time watch a recap of the match, it will take you at most 3 minutes, when conversations arise just talk about that match and nod and put a serious face when they are talking to you about their team, that is pretty much it.

loki 16

Just say that you are a Club America fan and every other fan will instantly love you.

Eila

I started to get into it around 2010. I didn't care for it before then. I'm really into football now.
I really don't watch the mexican league much, but most young people seem to be more into european football anyway. Watch the national team.

You could watch a few matches of the big clubs in Mexico (America, Atlas, Cruz Azul, Chivas, Pumas, Pachuca, Tigres, Monterrey) and then discuss them the following week with your coworkers. Asking them what they thought of the match between so and so and get their opinion of it. Let them know they you are starting to get into it and to recommend you some of the Euro leagues to watch and specific teams and players. Latinos are very big on European futbol as well. I'm sure people would not give up the chance to try and convert you to their favorite team, too. Give it shot, I'm sure it'll come natural once you start getting into it and you'll the conversations will begin to flow.

Mira que casualidad.... I have the complete opposite, I follow Fubol hardcore-style. But virtually no one I have ever worked with remotely likes it. Back in high school the fans where annoying as hell, and in junior high, it was all about basketball. And in college I found only America fans.

On the recommendation... start watching the high level matches from other countries, England, Spain, Germany, France (normally, the one broadcasted in ESPN and Fox Sports), avoid Italy, and watch the matches from the first three to four teams in the table for Liga MX. Those change a lot during the league, so pick a favorite after two or three weeks and watch that team's games.

You don't need to watch every game, but I suggest watching at least one match full, and leaving another match as background noise (Monterrey matches are great for that).

But before that, found out what team follows the most annoying people at your work place. If is america fc, and it's the majority of your coworkers, find a new job.

Just say that you are a Club America fan and every other fan will instantly love you.

evilest.gif

Osorio

Become a Pumas fan and brag about how you also care about politics and social issues. That's how being a villamelon works in this country.

I can attest to this. I got into Pumas because I was in Mexico at the time of the first Ayotzinapa protests, and I made friends with a lot of Pumas fans. When I returned to New York and went to the protests here it was the same thing.

However, I'll text my friends about the team and they have no clue what I'm talking about...

hunnies28

Holy shit, thanks for all the replies guys.

I know enough to know this is not good advice.

Company I work in has its origins in Mty. from what I understand people follow the two local teams like gods and give no fucks about the rest of the league (unless playing against said local teams).

I'm the biggest America hater you'll ever find, but that bullshit Conmebol pulled at the '07 Sudamericana Final against Arsenal surely was something else...

What can you expect when the founder of Arsenal de Sarandi was none other than FIFA vice president and CONMEBOL boss, Julio Grondona.

v1lla21

Murciélagos FC won 1-0 to Atlante and Dorados beat Tijuana 2-1.

A good night for Sinaloa.
Wasn't Murcielagos Fc a 3rd division team? I remember when Univision had this "you be the coach" thing going on with them. People would go online and vote what subs they wanted.

Wasn't Murcielagos Fc a 3rd division team? I remember when Univision had this "you be the coach" thing going on with them. People would go online and vote what subs they wanted.

They were.

Something something Irapuato something something, they moved to Los Mochis, Sinaloa.

They used the franchise from Guamúchil.

And now Murciélagos FC is in Ascenso MX in Los Mochis.
Murciélagos Guamúchil is now a subsidiary in Second/Third división or w/e.

Murciélagos aka "Caballeros de la noche" plays in the stadium Centenario aka "La Cueva", and the fans are called "La rabia".

I'm going to the game between Murciélagos FC and Dorados this Wednesday.

Fëanorian;173791986 said:
Fuera Ambriz!!

He should've never been allowed near the stadium. What has he won? What has he done?
Oh, right; connections.
The more we lose the sooner he'll be gone. Unfortunately sometimes that's what it takes, instead of gold old common sense.

Just saw yesterday's scores..

America lost to Atlas?
Leon destroyed Veracruz?
Tigres lost AGAIN?
Wth.

Don't disappoint today, Chivas.

Top Bottom