• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layton's Mystery Journey: Real Puzzle Solving

Gvitor

I mean from the beginning part I guess, I don't understand it :eek: How do I start?

Click on the circles above the 4x15 grid. They're hyperlinked to a bunch of websites with secondary puzzles. Shit didn't work on my phone.

Only one I haven't solved thus far is the dog one. Everyone here is saying it's easy and I'm stumped...

Click on the circles above the 4x15 grid. They're hyperlinked to a bunch of websites with secondary puzzles. Shit didn't work on my phone.

Only one I haven't solved thus far is the dog one. Everyone here is saying it's easy and I'm stumped...

I was absolutely baffled by it the first time I saw it, figured it out the next day and felt like an idiot.

Meeps

Yeah, that one took me a while.
Try looking at it from a different angle.

Kansoku

The worse thing about the dog one for me is that
I tried tilting my head to se if it made sense, but tilted to the other side, and was stumped for like 15min until I accidentally tilted to the right side >.<

Nachos

If you have Photoshop or some other image editor with layers, what I found helped was putting the image on one layer and then putting another one on top of it that I could place the shapes on.

And here's two hints for once you complete all 15 of the smaller ones, since I thought the final stretch was a bit arcane. First one is less spoiler-y than the second, which spoils the phrase you uncover once you fill in spaces a-g. It won't be of any use unless you did all 15 puzzles, though:
The dark box means that they want you to mark letters, using the phrase you uncovered as a guideline.
BEFORE N refers to all the letters in the alphabet that come before the letter N. Don't pay any special attention to the boxes marked a-g and just focus on the letters themselves.

grim-tales

Can anyone help with Puzzle 4? It just says
"This looks like a clue to where this puzzle is located", wtf

TV TOKYO
JUN 22 19.25-19.53
JUN 23 18.25-18.55
GMT +9

Was there some special event going on there? :s

Kalor

Can anyone help with Puzzle 4? It just says
"This looks like a clue to where this puzzle is located", wtf

TV TOKYO
JUN 22 19.25-19.53
JUN 23 18.25-18.55
GMT +9

Was there some special event going on there? :s

There are pictures with the puzzle posted in the Translayton below it. The following puzzles are also like this.

Nachos

The puzzle unlocking in 30 minutes looks like it might screw over colorblind people.

w2RzIKh.jpg

duckroll

Oh, new puzzle today? I didn't even know this game existed until stump told me about it last week. Wish it wasn't so spread out though. They're clearly dragging it out to promote the new game, but errrr yeah. Whatever. Puzzles have been pretty good so far!

Nachos

So the information around the new puzzle is a bit of a mess right now, so I'm just going to post some more concise instructions:
  1. You need to draw lines to pair up each bull with one matador
  2. Bulls can move horizontally and vertically, but not diagonally.
  3. No bull can cross the path of another bull.
After you've paired up all the bulls and matadors, read the remaining letters, going from top to bottom.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not sure if anyone is still playing this. Today's puzzle was pretty good, and I got the last item for my collection (been playing without tweet spam or any of the bonus opportunities)

Cbajd5

Not sure if anyone is still playing this. Today's puzzle was pretty good, and I got the last item for my collection (been playing without tweet spam or any of the bonus opportunities)
I still am. I got all the items a while ago though, and I didn't tweet anything either. I only did half of today's puzzle and knew the answer though.

duckroll

Yeah today's puzzle was really good. I feel that on a whole, even with some of the duds, the highs of Layton World so far are way better than anything in the actual Mystery Journey game.

23 puzzles in Layton World so far versus the 167 or whatever puzzles in Mystery Journey up to the end of the game, and I'll say that there are at least 5 in Layton World which surpass anything in MJ.

Seyfert

The last 2 puzzles are both dope. Make me use hint coin for the first time.

some of them are way better in the actual game that mostly too easy after 4th game in the series or try to catch you off-guard and give wrong answer that you can't know for sure that it actually need direct way or tricky way to solve.

Bumping because today's one appears to be a larger scale one: everyone gets a different piece of information when they access the puzzle and apparently it's automatically translated for every user's language when posted on "Translayton". Some really cool stuff.

duckroll

Doesn't seem to translate right on Translayton for many of the posts though. Doesn't really matter though, since the real trick is to tweet it out properly, and then view everything being tweeted with the #MysteryTweet tag. Someone on Translayton is already putting it together!

Bumping because today's one appears to be a larger scale one: everyone gets a different piece of information when they access the puzzle and apparently it's automatically translated for every user's language when posted on "Translayton". Some really cool stuff.

Sounds nice. I'm a bit skeptical of accessing the puzzles early now though because of what happened to A and C where people had to guess without the question in hope for the time bonus. :/

duckroll

Sounds nice. I'm a bit skeptical of accessing the puzzles early now though because of what happened to A and C where people had to guess without the question in hope for the time bonus. :/

Today's puzzle is not delivered at a location. It's a twitter crowdsourcing puzzle.

Doesn't seem to translate right on Translayton for many of the posts though. Doesn't really matter though, since the real trick is to tweet it out properly, and then view everything being tweeted with the #MysteryTweet tag. Someone on Translayton is already putting it together!

I think it only translates if you copy the text directly as it's given to you? I got A2 in French but when I posted it on Translayton it became 'mathematics' in english. The tag method seems far more efficient though, haha.

kadotsu

Banned
So the AND and 3DS versions are identical, right? I don't want to pay the physical tax if there isn't extra content.

Is anyone other than duckroll and me still playing this?
I'm doing them as soon as the notifications pop-up on my e-mail, but I haven't been actively looking for when the next one comes out. It also doesn't help that, besides the phone one (which I postponed until they uploaded a video lmao) the puzzles haven't really been hard or involved to warrant discussion besides the initial posting of the picture.

E: With only 8 left I think the dream of sneaking into the top 1000 is dead :'(

duckroll

FINISHED!

Thank you Level5 for that SHIT-TIER website implementation for the game map that really fucked me up hard on the final puzzle. What a GREAT idea to tie that useless map with terrible scaling into solving the puzzle. Hey Hino, BLOW ME! :D

Cbajd5

FINISHED!

Thank you Level5 for that SHIT-TIER website implementation for the game map that really fucked me up hard on the final puzzle. What a GREAT idea to tie that useless map with terrible scaling into solving the puzzle. Hey Hino, BLOW ME! :D

Yeah, forcing the use of the map really wasn't a good idea, especially with how difficult it is to use it on mobile.

I completely missed out on this, so now I'm rushing through everything at once lol.

At least the puzzles have real-world pictures associated with them right now.

EDIT: I have no idea how to use the map for the last puzzle. :<

EDIT2: Seriously, I'm stumped. I know the keyword but there is nothing for me to do on the map besides just allowing me to scroll and zoom in/out. I connected the dots in Paint and it gave me a weird shape (
a square with a line going up then down before looping back
). What am I even supposed to be doing?

EDIT3: Finally solved it! I was drawing it the completely wrong way (
I was wrapping around the world because I thought I had to go the shortest distance
).

EDIT4: This roulette is rigged. Why only allow 50 spins of it ever if you're not guaranteed to obtain everything? =/

FINISHED!

Yeah, this is like, the perfect example of "good concept, shit execution". What a sour note to end this on :c

Top Bottom