• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

lead CGI artist (Resident Evil remake) working on ProjectZwei

This is the best news in months.

Mikami and the CG lead artist on REmake working together again on a horror game?

I need this game like yesterday.

Corto

Thanks, fixed the 'REVELAITONS' style error.

No problem. Sorry if I sounded dickish, I thought it was a spoof site pretending to be an official site for some reason. Hey, take it as as compliment hehehehe Good job.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
resident-evil-20081114113328787.jpg

tumblr_ma5mdsKdNJ1rettfgo3_400.jpg

reback1_640w.jpg

09.jpg

Bring it!!

Shinta

Banned
Mikami is the man, so I can't wait. REmake was gorgeous. It'll be interesting to see what he does with a "pure survival horror" game, considering that he is literally the guy who finished the genre by making RE4 more action-oriented.

Does he have a new way to reboot survival horror? Surely it won't control like the older games.

Mik2121

Yes, but the point here is whether or not the environments are pre-rendered, but the atmosphere it ensues. Since limitations of age-old tech are lifted, this kind of criticism is way overdue.

It is about the atmosphere. If there is someone out there who gets atmosphere it is the folks who worked on REmake.

Oh, definitely. Him being the lead artist means he even had more control over that kind of stuff rather than actually making the stuff. It's just that there are quite a few limitations when you start making everything real-time instead of pre-rendered.

But still, definitely looking forward to what they do.

Fabrik

Banned
That's already two good bullet-points on the back of the box!

Hope the game and the enemies (If any) are not too weird like in Silent Hill or Soul Sacrifice.

Yuterald

Fuck yeah! Finally, some news on this game. I REALLY hope this game wakes everyone up. Devs/gamers are in such a funk right now. We NEED a title like this. Mikami, you better be for real this time. Make something on the same level as REmake and we'll be back on track.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I like Shinji Mikami

but I don't like Survival Horror

Hopefully there is something about this title that ends up appealing to me

This topic title is not that thing unfortunately

Fuck yeah! Finally, some news on this game. I REALLY hope this game wakes everyone up. Devs/gamers are in such a funk right now. We NEED a title like this. Mikami, you better be for real this time. Make something on the same level as REmake and we'll be back on track.

Survival horror is in a funk right now? It's gotten a big revival in the indie PC space. Unless if you're only talking about consoles. But I'm skeptical if Mikami is going back to those values since he's the one responsible for action-horror.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I hope that doesn't mean it's pre-rendered, that puts so many limitations to the game for no reason, we can have real time 3D that looks (more or less, some parts worse, others better because of the real time/dynamic aspects) at least as good as REmake in HD these days, if they want to focus on fewer but much more elaborate areas like the original Resident Evil.

Meesh

Dark, gritty art work...just about zero details though about the game itself though...zombie related? Sometimes I think they should try out a new monster or whatever...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wow, absolutely fantastic news. I played through REmake for the first time this year and it instantly went into my top 20, thanks in no small part to the backgrounds.

Yama

No problem. Sorry if I sounded dickish, I thought it was a spoof site pretending to be an official site for some reason. Hey, take it as as compliment hehehehe Good job.

No, not at all! I appreciate the point out. Thanks. :)

Ah, just searched up his name. But by definition, news should be current, unless referring to news of the past. As it turns out, it was revealed Naoki Kataki joined Tango in November 2010. Performing a quick Google search reveals that the outlets publishing this story today have already reported on it in 2010.

Oh, I completely agree, just noting that it is all factual. I was literally laughing at how a few notes I posted in regards to the game went viral, especially considering these were known for quite some time already. At the end of the day however if the majority didn't put two and two together, I'm happy to see the news out there as it allows some more excitement for a title that will undoubtedly deserve it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Survival horror is in a funk right now? It's gotten a big revival in the indie PC space. Unless if you're only talking about consoles. But I'm skeptical if Mikami is going back to those values since he's the one responsible for action-horror.

I have a lot of faith in Mikami. When he made Resident Evil 4, he never advertised it's final direction as a survival-horror game, but as an action game. Resident Evil he believed at that point needed a bit more action injected into it to stay alive he believed, which was logical at that point with all of the RE clones and dwindling sales on the franchise. After RE4 though, Mikami left and the direction the games have taken were not decided by him. Mikami has a profile record that is just quality, and he has never designed a game I have disliked. It is a shame this is the last game he says he'll ever direct, though.

If he says he's going to make a survival-horror game, I believe him that he'll be making one. What I'm intrigued by with this news is not only the fact the CGI artist is returning (as many have said, he did an amazing job on REmake), but what that suggests for Zwei. The small bits of Zwei we have seen have looked fantastic in concept art form, but could the title be using pre-rendered scenes? The newest piece of art released silently makes it look like it might. It would make sense as Mikami has said that they want to go back to 'full-blown survival-horror', and one of the things most people relate that to is fixed camera angles.

I don't think this is a bad thing, though I am curious how they might deal with it in a modern setting, and to improve some of the flaws a system like this has, such as controls.

Jawmuncher

I have a lot of faith in Mikami. When he made Resident Evil 4, he never advertised it's final direction as a survival-horror game, but as an action game. Resident Evil he believed at that point needed a bit more action injected into it to stay alive he believed, which was logical at that point with all of the RE clones and dwindling sales on the franchise. After RE4 though, Mikami left and the direction the games have taken were not decided by him. Mikami has a profile record that is just quality, and he has never designed a game I have disliked. It is a shame this is the last game he says he'll ever direct, though.

If he says he's going to make a survival-horror game, I believe him that he'll be making one. What I'm intrigued by with this news is not only the fact the CGI artist is returning (as many have said, he did an amazing job on REmake), but what that suggests for Zwei. The small bits of Zwei we have seen have looked fantastic in concept art form, but could the title be using pre-rendered scenes? The newest piece of art released silently makes it look like it might. It would make sense as Mikami has said that they want to go back to 'full-blown survival-horror', and one of the things most people relate that to is fixed camera angles.

I don't think this is a bad thing, though I am curious how they might deal with it in a modern setting, and to improve some of the flaws a system like this has, such as controls.

That would actually be really interesting, not to mention leave it up to Mikami to be the one who figures out how to keep that feel but at the same time modern.

Top Bottom