• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends World Championship 2017 |SEP 23-NOV 4|

Sol Mori

Let's not jinx them please.

Are they doing the quarterfinal draws after the last match today? Or is that a different day?

Draws are after the last match of the day I believe. With out this SKT vs EDG game is going it'll be after EDG beat C9 in a tie breaker.

SKT is just getting run over by EDG. If you told me this was TSM playing instead of SKT I'd believe it.

Leezard

The darkest time line would be if EDG win now against skt and then force C9 out. It would really compete the NA week 2 storyline.

Stiler

Well, EDG is rolling right over SKT so far.

It almost seems like SKT is purposely letting them win so they can knock C9 out or something. One of the worst games SKT has played.

Sol Mori

It almost seems like SKT is purposely letting them win so they can knock C9 out or something. One of the worst games SKT has played.

EDG decided to throw, holy shit. Also welcome to the club Brother iBoy.

Please don't throw EDG! That Trundle is getting to be a bit of a monster though.

Damn, guess you really can't count out SKT until their nexus goes down.

Stiler

edit - spoke way too soon, skt come back hard.

edit 2- accidentally quoted instead of edited, doh.

EDG should have got the baron instead of forcing that mid inhibitor fight. Feel bad for them as it was a relatively small mistake that SKT ran away with.

But this Janna/Lulu ardent censer/windspeaker blessing/locket meta is truly disgusting. It almost negates an entire match based on a single team fight - whoever has the team composition that utilises the support better wins. Le Blanc literally became useless after a single fight because of this meta.

edit: on the bright side, yay C9. One NA team survive!

cHinzo

Bang's positioning was near flawless this game. He gave EDG no chance to get picked off in teamfights. SKT also is great at stalling out the baron buff without dieing, giving EDG not much of an increase in their gold lead. Simply too good!

It's hilarious that we know if C9 had to face EDG again they'd lose, but they get to move on to Quarterfinals. Koreans carrying our asses once again.

Never doubted C9 the whole time. When EDG didn't end it around 25-30 minutes I knew SKT would scale it out. God bless Huni on that Trundle

EDG should have got the baron instead of forcing that mid inhibitor fight. Feel bad for them as it was a relatively small mistake that SKT ran away with.

Don't really agree with this. Not respecting the baron threat if you mess up a push is a massive mistake at the pro level and is the reason why teams rarely keep pushing for longer than a minute after baron wears off. You take on much more risk whenever baron is up and you go for a base tower (i.e. you get engaged on and lose the teamfight, they get baron, they get a whole load of towers + drake + map control compared to, with baron down, you losing the teamfight and them clearing some creep waves to the middle of the map, maybe 1 tower, at most 2).

Faker was awesome in the late game teamfights after 30 mins. I sense if you looked through SKT's great stalls and comebacks, you'd see a lot of him on Ori catching carries with Shockwaves and protecting Bang on Twitch/Cait/Lucian.

cHinzo

Still think EDG is stronger than C9, but teams simply can't go 0-3 in the first week and expect to pull a Fnatic.

The group stages are always the best part of worlds imo. Playoffs gonna be boring as usual unless RNG manages to make Korean teams difficult.

Sol Mori

Well FNC can't draw LZ, so they got that going for them. Though honestly RNG & WE also look like extremely tough opponents for any of the second place teams. If SKT continues to play the late game scaling comps they might be the easiest of the 1st place teams to get. Granted it is still SKT in a Bo5, so good luck on that.

I'd actually like to see MSF vs SKT because MSF have shown a willingness to not be meta slaves.

Self quote, MSF vs SKT is exactly what we get.

Don't really agree with this. Not respecting the baron threat if you mess up a push is a massive mistake at the pro level and is the reason why teams rarely keep pushing for longer than a minute after baron wears off. You take on much more risk whenever baron is up and you go for a base tower (i.e. you get engaged on and lose the teamfight, they get baron, they get a whole load of towers + drake + map control compared to, with baron down, you losing the teamfight and them clearing some creep waves to the middle of the map, maybe 1 tower, at most 2).

If this was any other meta, that mistake wouldn't have resulted in the team leading all game with 3-7k gold being completely shut out.

Flare

Both sky and edg are frightening teams. SKT's clutch team fights blow my mind. Edg played great though, iboy was fantastic.

Knockout stage looks interesting too. My body is ready for skt vs lz.

Bit disappointed in Samsung drawing LZ straight up - would've been a real chance for a Chinese team to get a win in Bo5 over a Korean side in front of their own fans. C9/WE should be good though.

Hard to see beyond an SKT v LZ final, perhaps SSG can trouble LZ or RNG SKT. Think it helps SKT to play Misfits, a smart team who will test their approach without being a threat. Come on Longzhu.

garath

So c9 made it? I couldnt even watch the games today. NA was so disappointing I couldn't watch c9 get knocked out too. Still can't believe tsm didn't get out of that group draw

clemenx

Banned
So how did you guys do at Pick'ems? I got 34 points. Better than expected. MOstly from getting Group A completely correct. I don't remember putting C9 at 2nd place but I'd take it lol.

Leezard

So how did you guys do at Pick'ems? I got 34 points. Better than expected. MOstly from getting Group A completely correct. I don't remember putting C9 at 2nd place but I'd take it lol.

Pretty catastrophic. I severely overestimated NA.
VvFYElr.png

25 points is still enough to be kinda safe to finish the quest at least.

cHinzo

1e4cbdb496.png

40 points. Still pretty salty I switched Misfits with TSM on the last day, because I pussy'd out and fell for the hype (AGAIN!). Didn't expect the week 1 0-3 from EDG, so that also kinda ruined my pick em. :\

Cmon have you guys watched both teams this week? Even if WE is weaker than RNG and the koreans, I wouldn't call it easy.

Of course relatively compared to getting Longzhu or RNG...

It's hilarious that we know if C9 had to face EDG again they'd lose, but they get to move on to Quarterfinals. Koreans carrying our asses once again.

Never doubted C9 the whole time. When EDG didn't end it around 25-30 minutes I knew SKT would scale it out. God bless Huni on that Trundle

If EDG wanted to beat us and go to quarters, maybe they shouldn't have fallen apart in week 1 :^)

Cmon have you guys watched both teams this week? Even if WE is weaker than RNG and the koreans, I wouldn't call it easy.

Neither of them said it was easy. They were saying it was probably the weakest 1 seed that C9 could've gotten. Which seems true given that the other 1 seeds were SKT, LZ, and RNG.

I'll have to check when I get home but I'm gonna bet I did fucking bad like I do every year since I expect TSM to not shit the bed.

I'm so glad C9 made it out even if we had to be saved by SKT. I couldn't handle a year of the memes about NA not even making it out of groups.

I hope TSM blows up their team and completely rebuilds it. They've gone to every single Worlds and have only made it out of groups once. Misfits in their first year have already matched that. C9 and CLG consistently do better than TSM internationally despite having a fraction of the hype.

Whatever G2, Misfits, Fnatic, C9, CLG and others are doing that TSM isn't needs to change.

I like to think that C9 can put up a good fight vs WE, but I don't know that C9 will be vastly better in bo5 than they were in these bo1.

zer0das

Banned
If this was any other meta, that mistake wouldn't have resulted in the team leading all game with 3-7k gold being completely shut out.

They essentially ran it down mid. Super overextended and didn't have a backup plan if a Trundle pillar caught them. They should have never even been there, they have an open inhibitor bot and baron respawning. NA teams do this all the time and it should be called out for how inanely stupid it is. There's almost no point in getting 7k+ leads if your macro play is consistently that bad.

How weird is it that the #1 seed from all regions other than LCK didn't make it through groups?

I still don't see why people are saying G2 is anything but a disappointment here. They were 1-3 vs non-Wildcard games, and honestly their win over RNG isn't significantly more impressive than TSM's win over WE, with TSM being undoubtedly garbage tier this tournament.

I'm still waiting for G2 to do anything "real" in the bo1 stage of a tournament. Squeaking out as the 3rd seed(thus avoiding SKT in the semis) by going 4-6 at MSI was not it, and that's their best performance in bo1s by far.

cHinzo

How weird is it that the #1 seed from all regions other than LCK didn't make it through groups?

I still don't see why people are saying G2 is anything but a disappointment here. They were 1-3 vs non-Wildcard games, and honestly their win over RNG isn't significantly more impressive than TSM's win over WE, with TSM being undoubtedly garbage tier this tournament.

I'm still waiting for G2 to do anything "real" in the bo1 stage of a tournament. Squeaking out as the 3rd seed(thus avoiding SKT in the semis) by going 4-6 at MSI was not it, and that's their best performance in bo1s by far.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If that makes u feel better.

We will never know though if G2 moves to NA and the Koreans are still prolly gone next season too. G2 prolly would have gotten out of groups in the other groups.

Stiler

I only got 21 points :(, I'm not really well versed in all the teams though so I picked in order of teams I recognized.

The TSM loss REALLY screwed my group D though, got 0 right.

I'm so glad C9 made it out even if we had to be saved by SKT. I couldn't handle a year of the memes about NA not even making it out of groups.

I hope TSM blows up their team and completely rebuilds it. They've gone to every single Worlds and have only made it out of groups once. Misfits in their first year have already matched that. C9 and CLG consistently do better than TSM internationally despite having a fraction of the hype.

Whatever G2, Misfits, Fnatic, C9, CLG and others are doing that TSM isn't needs to change.

I suspect how seriously and professionally TSM take the game makes it hard for them to play freely and comfortably with risky compositions. You look at teams like ROX/LZ, Misfits, Fnatic, Immortals, old C9 (maybe current C9?) and there's a genuine sense of enjoyment or fearlessness in how they approach the game. They want to win but if they lose, it's not the end of the world. It's completely impossible for me to imagine TSM just snapping in an off-meta pocket pick in a meaningful game or going for a high pressure style unless they had a ton of practice games with it.

And I think we've now seen at all three of the past Worlds that the ability to adapt confidently to counter the standard meta comps most teams show in Week 1 can be very valuable in Week 2.

zkylon

zkylewd
aw man edg almost got it. faker with a lot of clutch shockwaves was lovely to watch, his orianna is the best

bummer we get korea v korea right away, hopefully longzhu can pull it through

rng also has to beat skt to get to the finals, so uzi will have to work real hard to get his third finals. skt looks shaky, but if teams can't close out games against them they'll continue to come back in the lategame, so it'll be a good test if rng is ready to go all the way

you don't bet against skt tho

Sol Mori

0d9cec038b.jpg

Believe. :d

Since my group stage pick em' was pretty bad, I'm going full retard on knockout and have C9 vs SKT in the finals. With C9 obviously winning, because it would be the ultimate anime betrayal since SKT's win put C9 into knockout stage.

(No I don't expect C9 to even beat WE, let alone LZ/SSG to even get into finals)

cHinzo

Didn't get 34 points.... 8(

U can still get 60 points from the playoffs though. :eek: Just pick the favorites for easy points!

Since my group stage pick em' was pretty bad, I'm going full retard on knockout and have C9 vs SKT in the finals. With C9 obviously winning, because it would be the ultimate anime betrayal since SKT's win put C9 into knockout stage.

(No I don't expect C9 to even beat WE, let alone LZ/SSG to even get into finals)

C9 has a bigger chance to win against WE, than the EU teams winning against their opponents imo. Would C9 getting at least the semis make them the best NA team they had?

WaterAstro

U can still get 60 points from the playoffs though. :eek: Just pick the favorites for easy points!

Oh, well I wanted the poro icon. This is another chance?

I got 29 points picking the favourites... I always go in this order: Korea, China, Taiwan, America, Europe, Wildcards.

C9 and Immortals screwed me.

Dargor

I will be really surprised if C9 defeat WE.

My bet is that we'll get SKT vs WE in the finals, with SKT winning it once again.

Top Bottom