• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I was playing The Passing finale last night for the first time with a couple of friends on Xbox. We started on advanced and had to drop down to normal but could still not finish it. We had continuous tank spawns from the second the elevator reaches the bottom. Is this a glitch or is there supposed to be a steady stream of tanks so that there is basically always one on the map?

ameratsu

I was playing The Passing finale last night for the first time with a couple of friends on Xbox. We started on advanced and had to drop down to normal but could still not finish it. We had continuous tank spawns from the second the elevator reaches the bottom. Is this a glitch or is there supposed to be a steady stream of tanks so that there is basically always one on the map?

Tanks will spawn at set intervals until you fill up the generator and lower the bridge. It is possible to do it fast enough that only one tank will spawn. If you're playing co-op mode, you can lure the tanks back near the l4d1 survivors. Avoid hittable cars when fighting tanks and you should be fine.

edit: a tank shouldn't appear right when the elevator reaches the ground. you should have a couple minutes until the first tank spawns

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Should I get the first game first, or this one?

Edit:
Oh wait, you can get both for 30$.

Should i play the co-op campaign on the first one first or the 2nd?

Should I get the first game first, or this one?

Edit:
Oh wait, you can get both for 30$.

Should i play the co-op campaign on the first one first or the 2nd?

If you're getting them on Steam, you could just get the second one, which by now contains all of the content of both games (and maybe the Xbox 360 version does now, too? I can't remember).

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I can confirm that what I experience a couple of nights ago was indeed a glitch. My friend and I played the finale of The Passing again with very different results. We were able to easily beat it the first time on normal which was impossible for us previously. I don't know how it happened, but continuous tanks + horde = nightmare difficulty. We must have killed at least 4-6 tanks each time, but they just kept coming.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
If you're getting them on Steam, you could just get the second one, which by now contains all of the content of both games (and maybe the Xbox 360 version does now, too? I can't remember).
Well shit, I bought the bundle for myself and gifted it to a friend. 60$ total. Probably missed a 5$ lfd2 steam sale?

Oh well, there's some reasons to play the maps on l4d as well as l4d2 eh? Animations or something?

We're going to co-op mostly.

jambo

I'm pretty disappointed with the pub community by this point, at least on PC.

I tired to join a few random matches on Steam over the last few nights and other than 1 awesome game, every other would result in people vote kicking me as soon as I joined...

I've mainly been playing with bots, and it's not so bad now that Steam Workshop has been switched on for L4D2 as there are a bunch of AI mods that make it a lot better.

vazel

Banned
Looks like spitter may have scratched her to set her off.

Bad teammates though. Two had shotties, they should've run to crown her before any of the SI setup around her. I also like how only Zoey was trying to stop the witch from killing you.

jambo

Had a great time attempting and failing to complete The Parish on Expert

Kritz utilising his meat barricade

EB6F555D85F1A6177EB34C0E4966FFF4DFC4B676

Lots of dead zombies

Before the final (failed) charge (also that's the custom M14A sniper mod)

goodfella

I tried this. It introduces horrendous lag on L4D2 for some reason.

L4D2 also has an in-game option for triple buffering, which is equally as bad.

Source games have loads of lag when you enable triple buffering. Seems to be engine specific as to how much lag both v sync and TB induce.

Rogosh

I've been searching for an answer to this, but haven't had any luck. I just recently purchased this during the weekend sale and began going through the developer commentary, but haven't been able to figure out if there is a way to jump between the commentary nodes. I looked through the hotkeys, searched various forums, but no luck so far. Is this possible or am I imagining things?

I've been searching for an answer to this, but haven't had any luck. I just recently purchased this during the weekend sale and began going through the developer commentary, but haven't been able to figure out if there is a way to jump between the commentary nodes. I looked through the hotkeys, searched various forums, but no luck so far. Is this possible or am I imagining things?
Do you mean jump automatically without having to walk around? I think not. IIRC you need to go through the levels and find the nodes manually sadly. Of course, it may be possible to extract the audio commentary files from somewhere, but I've not a clue where they might be located.

Mudkips

Banned
Been playing versus lately (PC). The amount of obvious cheaters I encounter is really annoying. Every night I run into at least one, and about once a week I run into a full team of 4 people with aimbots, speed hacks, etc., blatantly trolling.

Then there's the incessant Steam group invites they'll spam you with. (And there's no way to stop that from happening.)

Valve doesn't give a shit, and it looks like the number of official dedicated servers has been slashed. Most of the time I get stuck on some modded trash 3rd party server or someone hosting locally.

vazel

Banned
Been playing versus lately (PC). The amount of obvious cheaters I encounter is really annoying. Every night I run into at least one, and about once a week I run into a full team of 4 people with aimbots, speed hacks, etc., blatantly trolling.

Then there's the incessant Steam group invites they'll spam you with. (And there's no way to stop that from happening.)

Valve doesn't give a shit, and it looks like the number of official dedicated servers has been slashed. Most of the time I get stuck on some modded trash 3rd party server or someone hosting locally.
Are you sure it's cheating. This game has a very dedicated niche of players that have become really good at the game. Looking at someone like Antero or purple you'd think they were cheating, but they aren't. The most common form of cheating in L4D2 are mathacks, but it's not something that improves your aim or speed.

When someone invites you to a rage group, report it. Valve takes those offenses seriously and if they receive enough complaints will temp ban them from steam community features.

Volotaire

Are you sure it's cheating. This game has a very dedicated niche of players that have become really good at the game. Looking at someone like Antero or purple you'd think they were cheating, but they aren't. The most common form of cheating in L4D2 are mathacks, but it's not something that improves your aim or speed.

When someone invites you to a rage group, report it. Valve takes those offenses seriously and if they receive enough complaints will temp ban them from steam community features.

Yeh would agree on skill level, l4d players don't mess around. The rage quit invites are annoying.

Mudkips

Banned

Yeh would agree on skill level, l4d players don't mess around. The rage quit invites are annoying.

100% sure.
http://shop.x22cheats.com/showthread.php?20937-L4D2-Cheats-xInstantHook-v2-0-%A9

I've been reporting hackers and group invite trollspammers for the past two months. Versus was unplayable during the recent free weekend.
There's also the DDoS groups going around killing servers.

vazel

Banned
I do know aimbot cheats for L4D2 exist(lol x22). It's just that this game has an inordinate amount of baseless hackusations in it. Everytime you get a couple hunter skeets with a sniper you're accused of cheating.

And yea, there's a DoS exploit in L4D2 servers that makes it easy to cause 1k+ pings. Valve has known about this exploit for years but they refuse to fix it.

duckroll

Has anyone tried out the Holdout mutation mode in the Extended Mutation System beta yet? Any impressions? Is it possible to play it with more than 4 players?

The only way to play L4D2 is with 3 or 7 friends, as public games are a horrendous experience (although even friends use cheats sometimes... during tournaments >_<).

I just wish Valve had a win/loss-ratio/experience weighted match making system to limit the 4 hour experienced people meeting the 4000 hour ones.

Most of the people I played with have moved on to something else (including myself) but every now and again I boot it up and it's still a blast, even with random people.

Speak for yourself, me and my group of friends still play almost daily

pEw0Ufa.png

(note: I've actually been too busy to play since Wednesday, but I've gotten plenty of invites)

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
For the love of God can I play with any competent Gaffers who know what they're doing? I hate playing with randoms who only give a shit about achievements and their own ass surviving.

Steam ID: Kastrioti

I play with a cousin in Michigan and his friend and we have a blast. And I met one dude who is really good to play with.

But yeah with the recent free release I think we should get some GAF L4D2 group going again.

Hmmm you sure, because like I said my cousin and his friend are in Michigan and IIRC no lag really.
I'm very far away in Japan... but we can give co-op a try, as it's not so latency dependant.

Edit: think I sent an invite, there's a number of Kastriotis, but only one was a member of GAF ;)

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm very far away in Japan... but we can give co-op a try, as it's not so latency dependant.

Edit: think I sent an invite, there's a number of Kastriotis, but only one was a member of GAF ;)

Yup I got it as I was playing FF7 haha. Going to be interesting to see how an online game from Japan to LA will work out. I'll catch you online sometime.

Yup I got it as I was playing FF7 haha. Going to be interesting to see how an online game from Japan to LA will work out. I'll catch you online sometime.
Oh, you're in LA? That shouldn't be too bad then. By the way, I've not played L4D2 for quite some time, but I'm sure I'll be back up to speed in 10 minutes. Might even have a go right now...

Nymerio

So, I played this yesterday with a friend but we ran into a couple of issues at the beginning. I made a lobby with a two player mutation and my friend tried to join but it showed him a message with something about addons (he clicked it away and couldn't tell me what it said exactly). I thought it may be related to the mods I had subscribed to through the workshop and I told him to make a lobby. But he didn't even have the same gametypes as I had in the menu. We ended up playing the vanilla campaign because he was missing the "All Mutations" option where he could select the various other mutations. What's going on here?

Lotto

Just a heads up for anyone that wants to see high level competitive play, the finals for the WatchL4D is going to start soon. It's going to be featured on the front page of Twitch. http://www.twitch.tv/kissmeplox

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not really familiar with competitive L4D. Is there a general side (Survivors or Infected) that's considered favorable over the other or are the sides usually balanced? Is it common for the survivors to make it all the way to the end of a chapter? No Medpacks is pretty intense.

vazel

Banned
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not really familiar with competitive L4D. Is there a general side (Survivors or Infected) that's considered favorable over the other or are the sides usually balanced? Is it common for the survivors to make it all the way to the end of a chapter? No Medpacks is pretty intense.
With the removal of T2 weapons it's pretty balanced. Survivors used to get wiped a lot in finales with 2-3 tanks but they reduced that to 1-2 tanks to make it more survivable.

Some helpful links:
l4dpromod.com is the config used for competitive play
l4dnation.com is a forum for competitive players
This steam group will teach newbies to play promod.

Lotto

Interesting. I haven't played L4D in ages and I don't think I'm up to the challenge but thanks for the links anyways. Catching some of these Hard Rain matches is pretty great though.

Top Bottom