• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 3 & CSGO2 References found in Source Engine leak

Draugoth

Gold Member
For a few days now, rumors and leaks have been circulating all over the internet suggesting that Valve is preparing to release a version of CS:GO built entirely on Source 2.

Now, an alleged new leak claims that a CS:GO executable in Source 2 has simply leaked and players are already digging around and have found mentions of Left 4 Dead 3.

"Something strange happened again, it seems CS:GO Source 2 executables are everywhere, someone just sent them to me and they are legit files."

Valve has already gained a reputation for always stopping its games at number "2" and this also applies to the Left 4 Dead franchise. The last game was released in 2009 and since then the series has been in the fridge.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Left 4 Dead 3? Stop the cap. That should've been a 2013 game if anything.
I visited Valve a few times in 2015 and 2016, I can confirm that Left 4 Dead 3 was in full production back then.

Pretty sure it was shelved though.

ClosBSAS

Ya that shits old...it's been said that l4d3 was to tinkered with and that's where the file names come from, like 10 years ago.

Fake

2enpmv.gif

VN1X

Banned
L4D3 is just a branch of the Source engine they use for CSGO (exclusively these days I believe). Was also used during the development of Alyx if I'm not mistaken and Citadel (upcoming) as well.

L4D3 itself doesn't exist.

Drew1440

Was it ever in development? The only thing I've seen was a few screenshots of maps (Hard Rain) that were created using Source 2.

I'm supposed these games were not rereleased for the eight gen consoles, especially the PS4 since Left 4 Dead was a console exclusive to the Xbox 360 and did not appear on the PS3 despite Portal 2 and CS:GO being released.

kicker

Banned
Indeed. Alyx proved HL3 could live up to the hype if Valve would make it.
meh. Assumimg hl3 is going to be a flat screen game, I don't believe it would live up to the hype. I welcome valve to prove me wrong though
I believe Alyx worked (lived up to the hype of a new half life game) primarily because it was a novel vr experience with some production value put into it.

Imagine alyx was a flat screen release with the same story and similar levels. Without the vr design, I think people would have seen it as more of the same.
And more of the same is not what people expect from valve after so long.

On-topic though, l4d3 has potential just because the co-op shooter subgenre has evolved and added so many qol features that valve could adapt. Although I doubt they would try to make it without turtle rock

Lasha

meh. Assumimg hl3 is going to be a flat screen game, I don't believe it would live up to the hype. I welcome valve to prove me wrong though
I believe Alyx worked (lived up to the hype of a new half life game) primarily because it was a novel vr experience with some production value put into it.

Imagine alyx was a flat screen release with the same story and similar levels. Without the vr design, I think people would have seen it as more of the same.

On-topic though, l4d3 has potential just because the co-op shooter subgenre has evolved and added so many qol features that valve could adapt. Although I doubt they would try to make it without turtle rock

Just watch somebody play it from a monitor or a video. VR carries Alex hard.

MiguelItUp

L4D3 would be excellent considering Turtle Rock threw the whole "made by the creators of L4D" on their marketing when it hardly contained any of the same members, lmao. God, that game was such a husk compared to L4D IMO. I just want Valve to make more games, so I'll hope this is real, but take it with a huge grain of salt. If anything, I think it's fair to say the CS 2 thing is real AF.

zcaa0g

Banned

If Alyx was a flat screen game, it would have been an entirely different game with much larger levels and still great.

Fake

Even with minor visual updates, just the fact that both could gain Directx11 and Vulkan support would be a huge win.

Top Bottom