• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #7- robots, robots, ROBOTS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
qsm8tsM.jpg

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest

Idea: To face off in a hardened custom creation battle where the winner takes all and everyone else gets a pat on the back.

Aim: Having fun and improving our brick building skills on the way.

Rules: One cheapish set (that is still readily available) is chosen to give everyone a level playing field. From the parts contained in whichever sets you choose (including the spares that come with the box) a custom creation is to be built, no further theme or model limitations are placed. The custom model should however be of your own design and not blatantly copied from somewhere else, getting inspiration and ideas is of course permissible. Using parts not contained in the chosen set is not allowed.

Timeframe: The contest will last one month from the start date, plenty of time for everyone to get the required set and start building. The custom model should be posted in the contest thread by the final date and the OT will be updated with links to the corresponding post. Each entry should contain no more than 5 pictures including one that also shows the pile of left over parts. Every member only gets to submit one entry, alternate builds can be bragged about after the contest deadline is over. Your original entry and post can be edited at will till the final deadline. Remember to take good photos of your model, I would recommend you try and find a uniform background and as much light as possible. If you wanna get really crazy, try making a lightbox. There's cheap and effective ways to do it! http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox

Start Date: 2/14/2017 4:00 EST
End Date: 3/14/2017 4:00 EST

Submission:
To ensure I don't miss an entry you can always drop me a PM with a link, also if you are unhappy with my choice of name for your model, don't hesitate to give me the official name of your creation.

Face-off: The winner is then chosen by popular vote. For one week after the OT has been updated with the finalised entries and the voting round is officially opened by the OP voting can commence.
Every voter has exactly 6 votes:
- one worth 3 points
- two worth 2 points
- three worth 1 point
You give your favourite Model 3 points the two runners up 2 points each and have another 3 points to distribute amongst the other entries.
By what measure you rate the entries is entirely up to you.

The set to be used:

31062 Robo Explorer

30603797234_aa099ef13b.jpg

Where do I get this set? How much does it cost?

Its $19.99 and available at LEGO.com, and most retail stores that carry LEGO products.

Participants and their entries: (last updated: not updated yet)
If you find an error, in Names or links please let me know.

Previous Contest:
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #2
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #3
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #4
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #5
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #6

Many parts of this OP are shamelessly stolen by FliXFantatier and PhoncipleBone, who put together Custom Model Contests 1-5

Join the fun at LEGO GAF. Everything is awesome (except my wallet).

Wondering if I should enter... It would be my first time, but the set is US$40 here and I was not planning to get it anutime soon.

KimbleJay

Just ordered the set from Amazon and would love to take part!

Quick question - do participants have to donate to the prize pool?

Blizzard

Banned
It's back, hooray! I'm glad I didn't miss the thread. I'll order on Amazon and give myself the needlessly hard challenge of using 100% of the pieces again.

Crispy75

It's an interesting set for sure. Loads of SNOT and hinge pieces, loads of slopes and tiles, but hardly any "core" parts. You've got to make each piece count!

Kleevah

I haven't participated in any of these since the very first one (can't believe it's been almost five years already!), but I stumbled across this thread by accident yesterday and now this set sits proudly on my desk.

I'm really quite rusty as there has been little time for Lego the last couple of years, though just fiddling around a bit with the default robot build (it's surprisingly solid) today totally made me realize how much I actually enjoy these stupidly expensive bricks. Already have some ideas for designs too, so it'll be interesting to see how many of them I manage to realize before the deadline.

Oh and for the future I would really love to see one of these contests with a cheap Technic set, as I think you can create very different kind of builds with those bricks than the standard Creator ones.

AMUSIX

OK, picked up the box today...just took a bit to look at the pieces. Wow, lot of random, unique elements, and almost no solid core blocks or plates. This is hard mode, isn't it?

Still, a lot of blue, so Violet Beauregarde, here we come.

mrkgoo

I haven't participated in any of these since the very first one (can't believe it's been almost five years already!), but I stumbled across this thread by accident yesterday and now this set sits proudly on my desk.

I'm really quite rusty as there has been little time for Lego the last couple of years, though just fiddling around a bit with the default robot build (it's surprisingly solid) today totally made me realize how much I actually enjoy these stupidly expensive bricks. Already have some ideas for designs too, so it'll be interesting to see how many of them I manage to realize before the deadline.

Oh and for the future I would really love to see one of these contests with a cheap Technic set, as I think you can create very different kind of builds with those bricks than the standard Creator ones.

So many great ways to do these threads. Someone suggested like an Elves set, I offered up a classics (like mostly only the standard core bricks and things). We've done a pixels set. Lego - the best toy ever.

Anyway, if I can track down a set, I guess I'll be in - only just saw this!

So many great ways to do these threads. Someone suggested like an Elves set, I offered up a classics (like mostly only the standard core bricks and things). We've done a pixels set. Lego - the best toy ever.

Anyway, if I can track down a set, I guess I'll be in - only just saw this!

Im thinking about maybe doing brickheadz next time. Would be cool to see people try to combine multiple brickheadz into one giant one or something lol. Definitely wont be creator next time just to switch things up

AMUSIX

Im thinking about maybe doing brickheadz next time. Would be cool to see people try to combine multiple brickheadz into one giant one or something lol. Definitely wont be creator next time just to switch things up

You know, for the price, could always just do this:
DqrLNsY.jpg

heh, but I've liked the creator sets just because they seem more designed for flexibility. Lakeside Lodge would have been a fun one.

mrkgoo

You know, for the price, could always just do this:
DqrLNsY.jpg

heh, but I've liked the creator sets just because they seem more designed for flexibility. Lakeside Lodge would have been a fun one.

Yeah love the idea of classic. Yes creator sets are the best for these sorts of things because they are largely designed for this with the most interesting pieces. It's why we use them.

But sometimes the best creativity comes when you're most limited.

I always thought it would be a cool "prize" for the winner of a contest to pick the set.

Anyway, I just picked up the set. Not sure when I'll get to crack it open, but fun times ahead!

ninge

To avoid cluttering the thread with random pics, I'll just post a link for now to:

Original model

MOC first attempt - I like to play around to get a feel for the pieces.

Nice! I'm a sucker for steam trains :)

I've been tinkering around but I'm too tired tonight to do much. I have a few ideas now tho. Will post something tomorrow for sure!

How am I just hearing about this? I'd love to take part! I can pick up the set on Amazon for about £14.

Do it! :)

mrkgoo

Oy, that's pretty clever!

Nice! I'm a sucker for steam trains :)

Thanks fro the comments!

Ok, so since it's my first proper go, I'll post it, but like all my other contest entries, I tend to change my entry by the time the contest finishes (for better or worse, lol), especially since I'm always boring with my first goes, typically the same things I always make :p

Mech (in the style of ED-209, I suppose):

31062 - MOC#1 a

31062 - MOC#1 b

31062 - MOC#1 c

31062 - MOC#1 d

And leftovers:
31062 - MOC#1 lefotvers

Tried thinking aout what I could do with the tread pieces...found you could wrap 5 of them into a circle to make a cylinder, and stick a technic post through it...

And is it just me, or do the offical alternate builds for this set look terrible? I haven't tried to make them, though.

Edit: Probably not going to be my submission as I build more, so taking pics out and leaving the links (or the posts make dos sense lol)

Crispy

And is it just me, or do the offical alternate builds for this set look terrible? I haven't tried to make them, though.

I agree, your designs blow them out of the water!

I intend to enter the competition as well, after years of not really playing with Lego this is a nice incentive to pick up the pieces again.

Crispy75

The dog alt model is pretty good (my daughter insisted that I build it)

I am fighting with all my willpower against building a mech. Feels too obvious :D
(not that yours isn't a good-looking mech you understand, mrkgoo)

EDIT: You! You took my username! Damn you to hell!

Crispy

The dog alt model is pretty good (my daughter insisted that I build it)

I am fighting with all my willpower against building a mech. Feels too obvious :D
(not that yours isn't a good-looking mech you understand, mrkgoo)

EDIT: You! You took my username! Damn you to hell!

!!! My long lost 74th brother! Imagine seeing you here :D

mrkgoo

ninge: that's awesome! Love the wheels - I didn't even think to try using the treads as wheels! Feels like a tumbler-a-like.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm just popping in briefly to say as with last contest, I'd love to stay subscribed and participate in the contest.

BUT, as with last time, I have to unsubscribe because so many people post lots of pictures of their designs, in the thread, super early. This consciously or subconsciously influences other entrants (or at least me) -- either in what we make, or in what we feel we cannot make because it's already been posted.

It feels even worse to me when someone posts a bunch of models and then doesn't even use them for the final entry. To me, that feels like poisoning the design space. Maybe I'm in the minority to feel this way, however. :(

I'm just popping in briefly to say as with last contest, I'd love to stay subscribed and participate in the contest.

BUT, as with last time, I have to unsubscribe because so many people post lots of pictures of their designs, in the thread, super early. This consciously or subconsciously influences other entrants (or at least me) -- either in what we make, or in what we feel we cannot make because it's already been posted.

It feels even worse to me when someone posts a bunch of models and then doesn't even use them for the final entry. To me, that feels like poisoning the design space. Maybe I'm in the minority to feel this way, however. :(

Nah, I hear you. People who post later will feel like they have fewer and fewer options. In the first four or so threads, people usually waited to post alt builds. I unsubscribed to the last thread too till I was done making my entry.

theaface

I do agree with this point. Whether intentional or not, I don't think it's fair to other participants to post lots of different builds, therefore 'claiming' each unique idea, if they're not intended to be entered into the competition.

I personally think it would be better to show alternative ideas and honourable mentions after the competition has closed.

I agree with holding back posts.

I'm loving these builds but as someone who subconsciously stole the idea for a pair of frog eyes several contests back, I'm bowing out of the thread for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom