• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lena Headey Accuses Harvey Weinstein of Sexual Harassment

Stiler

Glad she stood her ground, and luckily that keycard did not work.

I think Gilliam is just one of those directors that can be hard on actors/actresses, trying to get them in a state of mind of the character they are playing and being a bit of a perfectionist. That can be really harsh to some actors. James Cameron and others are like this as well, putting their actors through the ringer to provoke the response they want out of them for the camera, etc.

I hope it was nothing sexual or anything, I love Gilliams movies and would hate to see him lumped in with Harvey and his ilk.

Ridley327

Fuck Harvey.

Though, Gilliam comes off almost as an asexual insane genius, so name dropping him in that fashion seems a bit sensationalistic. Dude was probably an asshole, but he has always seemed like one.

Has the dude ever worked with the same actor twice, excluding Ledger?

And speaking of nice directors, I've heard about tons of them. Aronofsky, Wright, Chazelle, Boyle, Reed, Waititi, Wes Anderson, Villeneuve, Scorsese, Darabont, Howard, Edwards, Feig, Gunn, Duncan Jones, etc etc.

Robin Williams and (even though it was for a role that was about 5 minutes of screen time in The Zero Theorem) Matt Damon are probably the biggest ones, but he's worked with a quite a few of his Monty Python alumni over the years, though Eric Idle wasn't one to mince words about how much he didn't enjoy those experiences.

The worst thing I've ever read about Gilliam in terms of his on-set behavior was The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, where he had a then 9-year-old Sarah Polley do a lot of crazy stunts without considering the whole "she's a 9-year-old girl" thing. I know she's never spoken favorably about working on the film as a result.
Oh God, I love that film and now I'll never be able to watch it the same way. I never even considered that she was being mistreated during those action scenes.

Now I'll have to wonder even more about what Natalie Portman experienced filming "The Professional".

NYR94

The worst thing I've ever read about Gilliam in terms of his on-set behavior was The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, where he had a then 9-year-old Sarah Polley do a lot of crazy stunts without considering the whole "she's a 9-year-old girl" thing. I know she's never spoken favorably about working on the film as a result.

Speaking of Sarah Polley...

Canadian film and TV star Sarah Polley says Harvey Weinstein once suggested they have a "close relationship" in order to advance her career, but she turned him down.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/10/16/sarah-polley-harvey-weinstein_a_23244854/

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Is this guy going to jail, or there some statute of limitations bullshit? Shouldn't there be an arrest by now?

The kind of sexual harassment described by Headey is not actually a crime. I know there have been a lot of other allegations though which I haven't been following.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
My facebook is absolutely insane with #Metoo right now. Sometimes i feel either insanely luckily isolated from shitheel fuckey human beings or that mayhaps i'm just surrounded by really really good liars.

Really happy that she straight up called out Harvey. It's so very strange to me that Weinstein barely had to make an attempt at a "double life" or any of that kind of shit here. Like cheaters, addicts, criminals with a public face will usually do the work to push that shit as far down as possible but here it's this really slimey... gross fucking situation of everyone knowing this and it being this accepted normal for a whole fucking industry and FINALLY these fucking dominos fall.

I feel like we're gonna come out the other end and basically have Hugh Jackman and Keanu Reaves left as the sole surviving people who aren't 100% complete garbage when it's all said and done. Just waiting for another one of those people that we all hear stories about and people "know but don't really know" they are fucking predators to get called out. Spacey or something.

Gutek

Reading through Headey’s account here, I’m not sure there is a case for sexual harassment to be made.

Robin Williams and (even though it was for a role that was about 5 minutes of screen time in The Zero Theorem) Matt Damon are probably the biggest ones, but he's worked with a quite a few of his Monty Python alumni over the years, though Eric Idle wasn't one to mince words about how much he didn't enjoy those experiences.
Coincidentally Williams had an uncredited cameo in Barron Munchausen as well so he worked with Gilliam at least three times.

Madness

Damn. Lena Headey is so outspoken and welcoming about everyone and everything and this asshole tried to abuse his power with her too. Just makes you think how many women were powerless to stop his advances. This guy needs to lose every single cent and shut his studio down too. These guys built their industry and careers based on which actress they abused or bullied into doing what they wanted.

I know there are people on here that don't believe in God, but I gotta say, his card not working at that moment is nothing short of a miracle

With all of these run-ins of sexual harassment, I wonder if any of the actresses knew of his advances towards the other ones. Hollywood is so exclusive that I wonder if anyone talked within the circle

G-Bus

Banned
Here we go.

Bet this is just the start.

Bet a lot of producers/directors are shitting their pants right now on all the failed advances.

I'm sure there's more than a few women who used this kind of abuse to there advantage and don't see a problem with using sex to get ahead.

Lots of directors are mean control freaks. That's not really a big deal imo. You tend to know what you're getting into when working with some of these more prominent people as their rep gets around

Like I love David Fincher movies, but if I was an actor and didn't want to sit around and do like a 100 takes for every damn scene then I wouldn't do a David Fincher movie.

A shame that she was yet another one who weinstein tried his creep tactics on tho

Also God damn at that Jennifer Lawrence nude lineup blurb. It's not enough for just weinstein to be exposed. I hope more producers are outed

Reading through Headey’s account here, I’m not sure there is a case for sexual harassment to be made.
He was a major Hollywood producer and after the first time she rebuffed him she never worked on another of his films. There's no telling what kind of impact he may have had on her career by telling other producer/directors not to work with her. I'm not sure what there's to be confused about here.

Think about how many successful actresses seemed to suddenly fall off the face of the Earth and the consider how many of them may have been blacklisted for pissing off the wrong predator.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking asshole. I'm really glad that card didn't work. Man, what a piece of shit. Get help my ass.

What directors are known to be the nice folks?

Aside from what his movies might show, David Lynch is said to be incredibly welcoming on set, even to actors who have never been in big movies. Some have even called it their nicest on-set experience.

Gutek

What do you think was about to happen if Lena didn’t speak up?

That questions makes no sense. He was clearly making sexual advances, but she shot him down and nothing happened. Maybe because of the door, maybe because she shot him down - probably both.

All I’m saying is that as of right now, you could not make a case for sexual harassment that would hold up in court. At least based on her account.

KHarvey16

That questions makes no sense. He was clearly making sexual advances, but she shot him down and nothing happened. Maybe because of the door, maybe because she shot him down - probably both.

All I’m saying is that as of right now, you could make a case for sexual harassment that would hold up in court. At least based on her account.

Marching her toward the door and intimitating her. Telling her not to say anything to anyone. Please.

The fuck

He made an advance on her, she shot him down, and then he did it again under the guise of business. And told her not to tell anyone when she refused again. That IS sexual harassment.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

All I’m saying is that as of right now, you could not make a case for sexual harassment that would hold up in court. At least based on her account.

None of any of this is going to end up in court, that's not really the issue here.

Good to hear Lena speaking out. She always seems like a tough soul but that would be a traumatic experience. Fuck Weinstein. A Lannister always pays her debts.

rudger

Can we not conflate somebody being a bully on set with somebody who is a sexual predator? That’d be great.

There is little evidence that Kubrick was a dick to people.

I've read more than a few accounts of Nicholson and Kubrick driving Shelley Duvall out of her mind on the set of the Shining.

On a completely unrelated note, with nothing to do with Kubrick, just thought of that poor actress who was tricked into having real, unprotected sex with Marlon Brandon on the set of Last Tango in Paris, in collusion with the director (Bernardo Bertolucci) who wanted an unrehearsed reaction from her.

Gattsu25

Banned
Also, and for those wondering why so many of these stories take place in a hotel: Weinstein's office is in a hotel suite.

ahoyle77

Rewatchables pod was just talking about how nice Wes Craven was on sets. Probably helps on a horror set if the director doesn't act like a psycho though.

Top Bottom