• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lenovo Yoga 3 14", Surface Pro 3, Laptop advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Surface Pro 3 i5 w/4gb 128gb SSD and I really like the form factor and the device overall. I was also looking at the Lenovo Yoga 3 14" hybrid laptop (i5, 8gb Ram, 256GB SSD) since it has double the specs of the SP3, except for the screen res is at 1080p which I am ok with. I do like too that it is about $200 cheaper than what I paid for the SP3 + type cover.

I am primarily going to use this for some word processing, updating my web site via CMS, web surfing, and watching some YouTube videos while on the couch. I already have a pretty beefy desktop. I don't use the pen at all with the SP3 and I do want to have the touchscreen which is what I want from these devices.

This is the one I was looking at:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-3-2-in-1-14-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-black/7577028.p?id=1219680870724&skuId=7577028

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again!

tonitoni

I have the yoga and I'm not too happy with the purchase.

For the F1-F12 keys, stupid functions like multimedia and changing screen brightness are bound by default and to access proper F1-F12 functionality you must press Fn. This can be reversed in the bios, but then you must press Fn to access the Esc key.
The biggest problem is the screen: it is very dim even at the max brightness, and the touchscreen fires randomly so often that I had to disable the touchscreen driver to be able to use the laptop at all.

More people experienced the same issues: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...ga-3-14-inch-Touch-Screen-Issues/td-p/2034547

I just know that if I were to switch over from my Macbook I would jump on the Dell XPS 13, sorry I don't have any insights on your model you're looking at.

Dell+XPS+13+2015_fullbleed.jpg

Dell-XPS-13-9343.jpg

I just know that if I were to switch over from my Macbook I would jump on the Dell XPS 13, sorry I don't have any insights on your model you're looking at.

Dell-XPS-13-9343.jpg
+1 for the XPS 13. I love mine. There's also a 15" on the way I believe.

QHD+ Touchscreen with tiny bezel is beautiful. Machine is small and light. Can't ask for much more. As a comparison, I think the XPS 13 is only marginally larger than the MacBook Air 11" and quite a bit smaller than the 13".

I keep reading excellent things about the Dell XPS 13 I'll have to take a look at best buy later this week. Are they premium built laptops?

For the F1-F12 keys, stupid functions like multimedia and changing screen brightness are bound by default and to access proper F1-F12 functionality you must press Fn. This can be reversed in the bios, but then you must press Fn to access the Esc key.
The biggest problem is the screen: it is very dim even at the max brightness, and the touchscreen fires randomly so often that I had to disable the touchscreen driver to be able to use the laptop at all.

More people experienced the same issues: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...ga-3-14-inch-Touch-Screen-Issues/td-p/2034547

Thanks for the feedback and the link. I've seen even bad reviews on amazon and best buys site, so this helps.

Dell-XPS-13-9343.jpg

José Mourinho;174251220 said:

QHD+ Touchscreen with tiny bezel is beautiful. Machine is small and light. Can't ask for much more. As a comparison, I think the XPS 13 is only marginally larger than the MacBook Air 11" and quite a bit smaller than the 13".

I keep reading excellent things about the Dell XPS 13 I'll have to take a look at best buy later this week. Are they premium built laptops? It seems that the non-touchscreen version starts at $999, and the touchscreen is $1399. I really wanted the touchscreen, but not enough to jump up another $400.

Any other laptops that are recommended with touchscreen around the $900-$1000 range?

I keep reading excellent things about the Dell XPS 13 I'll have to take a look at best buy later this week. Are they premium built laptops? It seems that the non-touchscreen version starts at $999, and the touchscreen is $1399. I really wanted the touchscreen, but not enough to jump up another $400.

Any other laptops that are recommended with touchscreen around the $900-$1000 range?

Just curious, why do you want a touchscreen on your laptop? When I was looking for laptops earlier this year I wanted a touchscreen as well, but now that I have it I never actually use it. Looking back, I wish I saved my money by not upgrading to a touchscreen.

Dell-XPS-13-9343.jpg
I saw this in a store and it was really impressive. My friend owns one and says good things about it, but I have not owned a dell for so long.

I would stay away from Lenovo, I'm not a fan of their build quality. Around that price, maybe get the Dell or a MacBook Air.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If you're looking for comparable 2-in-1s also consider the Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series and the HP Spectre x360.

I find the Dell just slightly edges the Yoga in value.

hitsugi

Recent XPS13 owner here.

It is the first Dell product I've purchased in a long, long, long time. I have to say, I'm impressed with just about every aspect of it. The webcam placement sucks, but I don't use it so it doesn't really matter.

That aside, I get good battery life even with the QHD model (8-ish hours I think) and the trackpad is easily the best of any Windows laptop I've ever used. It comes close to the smoothness of an Apple laptop, in my opinion.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
For your needs, why not just stick with the SP3?

It's more than enough to handle the tasks that you mentioned.

My Surface 3 keyboard works the same way.

But I too have heard some bad things about the Yoga. Good initial impressions but poor reviews after people used it for some time.

If you don't use the Pen I'd probably go for the Lenovo just because I'm still not fond of using a Surface on my lap in place of a laptop. What exactly did you pay for the Surface Pro 3? I'm not sure if you used any coupons when you got the SP3, but currently there are two different coupons that would drop the cost of the Lenovo to $700 or the SP3 to $750.

Nesotenso

José Mourinho;174251220 said:

I can't find the 999 option on dell's site anymore. Did they discontinue it?

If you don't use the Pen I'd probably go for the Lenovo just because I'm still not fond of using a Surface on my lap in place of a laptop. What exactly did you pay for the Surface Pro 3? I'm not sure if you used any coupons when you got the SP3, but currently there are two different coupons that would drop the cost of the Lenovo to $700 or the SP3 to $750.

I used a movers coupon which got me 10% off the $999 price tag on the SP3 at Best Buy. I am within the return window and that is why I'm debating on what to do here.

Which coupons did you use that could drop the prices on both?

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback and the link. I've seen even bad reviews on amazon and best buys site, so this helps.

Premium? Absolutely.

I owned another Dell laptop which I got in 2012. Relatively speaking it was higher spec but the build quality was garbage to say the least. I wouldn't have even considered a Dell until I saw the XPS reviews and decided to bite. The build quality between this and my previous one is night and day. It's not the highest specced machine in the world but does everything I need -- I run Visual Studio, PhotoShop etc on it comfortably.

I since bought a 4K Dell monitor. I don't want to oversell because I've only owned these two products in recent times, but I've been impressed with the quality of both.

Just curious, why do you want a touchscreen on your laptop? When I was looking for laptops earlier this year I wanted a touchscreen as well, but now that I have it I never actually use it. Looking back, I wish I saved my money by not upgrading to a touchscreen.
Personally, I love the touchscreen. Admittedly I use it less now because I have a Surface 3 for light browsing and only really use the XPS hooked up to a monitor at a desk, but when I was doing my light browsing and such on it I was always reaching out and touching the screen. I do sometimes wish my monitor had touch.

I can't find the 999 option on dell's site anymore. Did they discontinue it?
Couldn't comment to be honest, I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom