• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

very good demo. I'm gonna get this now. got a pin for beating demo, took pic with hot chick and bought shot glass for six dolla haha

gRss9sHl.jpg

after no more heroes, I am legally obligated to try anything suda puts out
or rather has his name slapped on

i am prepared for disappointment

Haunted

Dark Souls comparisons won't do this one any good since the combat is much clunkier. Controls and animations aren't on the same level as in From's titles.

Aside from that, this does have some neat ideas and the (un)usual kray-z Suda51 flair. :D

NotLiquid

Dark Souls comparisons won't do this one any good since the combat is much clunkier. Controls and animations aren't on the same level as in From's titles.

Aside from that, this does have some neat ideas and the (un)usual kray-z Suda51 flair. :D

Combat clunkier than Dark Souls seems like... an ambiguous accomplishment almost since I find Souls combat to be the definition of clunky.

Nudull

Banned
Didn't really care for this game...until I heard "Souls-like". Immediately "bought" on the online store.

I'm surprised it's a F2P. :eek:

Haunted

Combat clunkier than Dark Souls seems like... an ambiguous accomplishment almost since I find Souls combat to be the definition of clunky.
It's much stiffer, the animations aren't as good, the hitboxes and collision aren't as clean. It's a lot more imprecise compared to the accuracy of the Souls games.

It's closer to other Suda games like Killer is Dead or No More Heroes, but slower and much more punishing.

CupONoodos

Neo Member
Clunky is right. Once you're in the animation you're IN it. Stun locking is crazy real in this game if you get hit by anything you're going to be stuck until the enemy finishes hitting you. Also, the targeting is awkward. The camera doesn't automatically refocus when you dodge so you're going to have to manually change the camera to get a better view of your target after a dodge roll. Game is.....interesting....

Haunted

Clunky is right. Once you're in the animation you're IN it. Stun locking is crazy real in this game if you get hit by anything you're going to be stuck until the enemy finishes hitting you. Also, the targeting is awkward. The camera doesn't automatically refocus when you dodge so you're going to have to manually change the camera to get a better view of your target after a dodge roll. Game is.....interesting....
Yeah the camera refocuses very slowly, you can't dodge roll past attacks like in the Souls games. I found it more effective to dodge backwards or just stay out of range of enemy attacks with footsies.

The F2P elements seem fairly annoying, though I only played a short while and I suppose it's fair that they're showing and explaining them right at the start. I'm real sensitive to that kind of stuff, though. Having a big shiny box with good equipment in the lobby you can't open until a real-life timer (20 hours) has counted down is a right bitch move. xD

has anyone figured out how to increase unarmed attack damage yet?
When you find an elevator and return to the lobby, you can upgrade your stats, including strength, at the brain head thingie. Not sure if that also affects attack damage or is just there for weapon requirements.

vilmer_

I just sent one of my characters on an expedition to slaughter a player named scyth199. Buckle up bro, Arserammer is comin'.

kodecraft

Suda51 why your gameplay always stiff and clunky, almost like this shit is on purpose.

The games are always interesting though that's what keeps me coming back to them, but gameplay needs to "feel" good not just function.

When you find an elevator and return to the lobby, you can upgrade your stats, including strength, at the brain head thingie. Not sure if that also affects attack damage or is just there for weapon requirements.

found the brain thing and leveled up, but it gives no indicator as to whether it's actually increasing your damage or not like it does in souls.

It's the special kind of jank only Suda51 can create. I like it so far, and it's free, so I'll keep going. Typical style-over-substance Grasshopper game. Really wonder what's at the top of that tower.

At the very least the enemies are locked into their animations too so it's not too bad. It feels like a ps2 aa title. It's not perfect but it's still fun.

Kalentan

So I just started playing and my only question is that...

Is there any permanent 'meta' progression?

Like say something like Rouge Legacy where you can upgrade your base.

Kalentan

So uh... How do you quit the game? Like I get that if you quit outside the waiting room, it counts as a death. However it says go to the options menu to quit. But there's only a config option that has no 'quit game' option.

Okay, so the death mechanic in this is neat. In Dark Souls, you travel back to your corpse to collect your souls, but in this, you
fight your former character.

Not sure if that's a spoiler, but you know, just in case.

Edit: Lmao it's called "Haterfication"

Kalentan

The only thing I'm worried about is that this really does seem blantly pay to win. You can pay to bring yourself back to life and you can convert the paid coins into money.

That kind of takes a lot of the fun out of it knowing people can just do that.

B00TE

Loving this so far. Download still hasn't finished but I unlocked an elevator and stopped there. Feels like a Suda51 game for sure but that's okay with me.

Kalentan

"Go to the options menu to log out properly by selecting 'back to title screen'."

*opens Option menu*

*No 'back to title screen' option.*

More on Haterfication. I won't tag it since it's part of the tutorial, but it might get people interested.

Haterfication

If your Fighter exhausts their HP in this game, they will die, and be resurrected as an enemy.

Haterfication and Retrieval

When a fighter dies, they will transform into an enemy, roaming about on the floor on which they met their demise. Such Fighters are called "Haters."

If you assume control of a new Fighter and defeat the Hater, they will be retrieved and stored in the Fighter Freezer. If you let them be and they defeat another player, the rewards will be sent to your Rewards Box.

Orange Named Enemies

All enemies with names displayed in orange are Haters. They might be one of your Haters, or a Hater that was once a different player. In either case, they are far stronger than most of the other enemies you will face. Watch out for them.

Kalentan

Well there are a few online features, so it might need Plus. I'm downloading it anyway and will report back later in case some other people without Plus want to play it!

I mean, Warframe is F2P and you don't need PS+. Not sure why that would be different here.

Top Bottom