• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lethal Weapon movies 1-4 ~ Which were your favorites? [Poll inside]

Which Lethal Weapon movies were your favorites? Choose a maximum of 2.

• Total voters

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Which Lethal Weapon movies were your favorites? This is a short thread to discuss or write what you like about the Lethal Weapon movie franchise. This is about the movies and has nothing to do with the spin-off TV series.

The 1980's was the apex of explosive action films for the West. We saw a number of great titles coming out every year. This prompted writer Shane Black to create the original script for Lethal Weapon in the early 1980's. The script was passed from hand-to-hand before Warner Brothers eventually bought rights and started production on the first Lethal Weapon movie in 1986. With Danny Glover playing Roger Murtaugh and Mel Gibson cast as Martin Riggs...the duo along with a great supporting cast one of the best comedy-cop action films of the 1980's. The direction was lead by Richard Donner who never disappoints with his resume of action films. Soundtrack artists included Eric Clapton and each time a sequel was made, the stories got more elaborate and the cast grew larger. The first movie was released in 1987, Lethal Weapon 2 in 1989, Lethal Weapon 3 in 1992, and after a short hiatus a forth and final film was made in 1998 (Lethal Weapon 4. My favorites will be in the poll as well and those are: Lethal Weapon (1987) and Lethal Weapon 2. The first two to me were so intense and well-written that the latter two never quite made it to that level. 3 and 4 are not bad but I feel they're missing something.

My first exposure:

I came from a pretty strict catholic family and it was hard to get my hands on any movies with an "R" rating during my Middle-School years. I recall a kid who had the luxurious HBO cable package and would record full length movies and sell them for about $2 on label less VHS tapes. I bought some tapes from him and was never told what movies were on the tapes. I popped a tape in my VCR and found that he had recorded all 3 of the first Lethal Weapon movies from an HBO marathon. They were uncut and I recall the first movie having additional scenes which were either edited from later releases or I imagined them. One part I remember was an extended scene after Dixie's house is blown up by Gary Busey in the first movie. After the house blows up both Riggs and Murtaugh hit the ground and you can hear Mel Gibson yell, "Get off me, I'm not a faggot." Not sure if anyone can validate that scene but I recall it fairly well and the following lines are the kids saying: Was Dixie in the house? Riggs and Murtaugh look at eachother and nod yes.
Another scene which does exist but is now separated as a deleted scene is one in the original Lethal Weapon movie where Riggs is driving around L.A. in the rain. He comes across a hooker and asks her to come in his car, not for sex but inviting her to give him company and watch the Three Stooges with him. I recall seeing that scene in the movies I had from the 90's recorded on VHS.

e9VijsU.jpg

PYJ14ox.jpg

Vxvu2e4.jpg

o5nbqBu.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Apparently I didn't imagine the dialogue in the first movie. I do not recall finding the scene where Murtaugh is trying to put out a fire on Riggs on my blu-ray copies. I think the audio was cut from newer releases. Here's the scene.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Could these movies be made today?
Nope. Just like all the other great action movies. We've seen them try to remake others (not Lethal Weapon) already. For me, explosions were crucial for an action film...but...REAL explosions. Pyrotechnics have been protested and almost entirely replaced or removed by CGI in modern action movies. Awhile back in a different thread I wrote a list of everything missing from modern cinema and why it can't be compared with the work and creativity put into movies from the past (by past I mean 25 + years ago and further back).

However, they may try to make a final sequel once the dust of this pandemic lifts. Lethal Weapon Finale (5) was in pre-production just a few weeks before the pandemic started, with planning going back to 2017.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Nope. Just like all the other great action movies. We've seen them try to remake others (not Lethal Weapon) already. For me, explosions were crucial for an action film...but...REAL explosions. Pyrotechnics have been protested and almost entirely replaced or removed by CGI in modern action movies. Awhile back in a different thread I wrote a list of everything missing from modern cinema and why it can't be compared with the work and creativity put into movies from the past (by past I mean 25 + years ago and further back).

However, they may try to make a final sequel once the dust of this pandemic lifts. Lethal Weapon Finale (5) was in pre-production just a few weeks before the pandemic started, with planning going back to 2017.

I was more referencing the anti-cop and killing political issues going on right now. Seems like it would be bad timing for a "loose canon" cop movie

This is my favorite:

I like how he has a vest on, like it's going to protect him from plastic explosives, tearing through him like a knife through butter.
Maybe it's to contain his insides? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Stuart360

This is my favorite:

I like how he has a vest on, like it's going to protect him from plastic explosives, tearing through him like a knife through butter.
Maybe it's to contain his insides? :pie_thinking:

To be fair, they didnt expect it to work either if you remember. It was just a case of 'something is better than nothing'. Plus the bomb guys had freeze sprayed the bomb hoping for a 1-2 second delay, give them a shot at jumping through the window,

They all kick ass but I would say 2 is my favorite, it's one of the best sequels ever. They added enough new

The first movie has a much more gritty feel to it while still having laughs while 4 is super glossy and a bit too jokey. I love all 4 and they still hold up pretty well. I know they did the TV show but I'm genuinely surprised they haven't tried to do a modern reboot with some goofy ass spin to it.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
They all kick ass but I would say 2 is my favorite, it's one of the best sequels ever. They added enough new

The first movie has a much more gritty feel to it while still having laughs while 4 is super glossy and a bit too jokey. I love all 4 and they still hold up pretty well. I know they did the TV show but I'm genuinely surprised they haven't tried to do a modern reboot with some goofy ass spin to it.
I posted a link above about how they actually were in pre-production to film a fifth installment. This would include Richard Donner directing, Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, and possibly Shane Black co-directing or as the writer. If they don't do this...unfortunately...they'll probably make a P.C. friendly remake with a different cast and director. It's inevitable that all of our great movies from the past will eventually be remade quickly, cheaply, and forgotten. The originals will live on.

Stuart360

I posted a link above about how they actually were in pre-production to film a fifth installment. This would include Richard Donner directing, Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, and possibly Shane Black co-directing or as the writer. If they don't do this...unfortunately...they'll probably make a P.C. friendly remake with a different cast and director. It's inevitable that all of our great movies from the past will eventually be remade quickly, cheaply, and forgotten. The originals will live on.
Shane Black doesnt deserve another job in Hollywood after the mind numbingly bad 'The Predator'.
Yes i'm a bitter fanboy.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Shane Black doesnt deserve another job in Hollywood after the mind numbingly bad 'The Predator'.
Yes i'm a bitter fanboy.
Maybe not but Lethal Weapon led him to create two projects and wouldn't have come together without him. I could say the same for many of the great directors of the past who are still directing today. Most of them have been putting out awful movies over the past 8-years (Spielberg included). However, it doesn't change the deep impact they've made with their past contributions. I'd give Shane Black another shot at working with Lethal Weapon. He was involved with the first Predator but it's not something he knows as well as Lethal Weapon.

MacReady13

Love all 4 but parts 2 and especially 3 have a special place in my heart. I voted part 2 though. Very hard to pick as all 4 are great to watch. Really miss the days films like this were made...

HotPocket69

Banned
1 & 2 are the best buddy action comedies ever with the original being my favorite. I love the darker tone with the comedy peppered in. The witty lines come at you much faster as well. End fight with Gary Busey on the Murtaugh front lawn is 👌🏼

Also this is a great reunion clip. Look at the way they talk to each other! Riggs and Murtaugh FOR REAL 😂🥰

The first is only film that belongs in the upper echelon of action films. This has as much to do with when it was made and the conscious choices about tone. None of the others are as gritty, and that juxtaposition of humor and grit is what makes it so special. Oh and 80s cinematography. 2 is a fine follow up but already it starts to lose the edge. 3 and 4 just don't have the same energy, look, or feel. By that point in time they're outranked by a new breed of higher octane actioners: Hard Boiled, Terminator 2, Point Break, Heat, even The Rock (the movie, not the man) and Speed.

But the dialogue is always entertaining, and it's rare to see the same director helm an entire franchise which is a plus for consistency.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I think these scenes are from 2.

Surf board car chase, and toilet bomb.
Yeah, that's all from 2.

New things introduced in Lethal Weapon 2 that were not in 1:

-It's revealed early on that Riggs can disconnect his shoulder
-South African Apartheid was only a background bumped sticker on the Murtaugh fridge in 1; in 2 South Africans are the actual antagonist
-Leo Getz (Petsci introduced and later becomes a recurring character)
-Kenny the carpenter (he's in a deleted scene from #3 too)
-Riggs noticeably uses less martial arts starting with this film
-Murtaugh and Riggs are more established as a team
-Riggs is no longer suicidal and has his first love since his wife

-Pieter reveals to Riggs that he mistakenly killed Victoria Riggs (Martin's wife) in an attempt to kill him. The first movie just states that she died in a car accident

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I think I'm an outlier because I never cared much for these movies. They were entertaining enough I guess, but not the kind of movie I'd ever watch more than once. Their very existence is just a shadowy memory for me, as I was roughly high school age for the first three.

HotPocket69

Banned
I think I'm an outlier because I never cared much for these movies. They were entertaining enough I guess, but not the kind of movie I'd ever watch more than once. Their very existence is just a shadowy memory for me, as I was roughly high school age for the first three.

Apologies for your lack of taste and poor memory, my brother

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I felt that way after not having seen them for years. I bought the blu-rays in 2018 and saw everything for the first time again in nearly 19-years...I have to say that I like them more now than when I first watched them. Give them another shot. You can buy all 4 movies in one set for like $20 or less on blu-ray or DVD. I encourage you to give them another chance.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Leo ruined it for me. Better before him and on his first time out.
A lot of people didn't like Leo, including a family member or mine who was saying that every time he appeared. The trick is that he's supposed to be obnoxious and the viewer is supposed to get irritated with him. It's projecting his character on the characters in the movie and back at the audience. So, in that way he worked for the role. Kinda like Scrappy-Doo in the Scooby Doo series, read any review about the character and you'll think you're reading about Leo Getz.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Top Bottom