• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's all take a moment to appreciate Metal Slug 5's soundtrack

Metal Slug 5 may not be the best Metal Slug game, but the soundtrack is top notch. So I think it's time we sit back and give it some much-deserved attention.

Heavy African

You've just started up the game. You're on the first level. You hear some bongos and a monkey screeching. Well, okay, pretty generic jungle music. Then a crunching guitar kicks in underneath, and you hear some ominous chanting, while some flutes and acoustic guitars occasionally make appearences. Some horns show up, and then BAM! creepy chanting. And this is just the first level.

Fierce Battle

Whatever giant robot you're fighting is rumbling on-screen, and right off the bat the intro is telling you that shit's hitting the fan. The guitar riffs kick in while an ominous synth chord builds up, before it switches gears into a triumphant, upbeat "horn" medley. And just when you start feeling all heroic, it switches straight back to the power riffs to remind you that the tank you're fighting is five times your fucking size, and you're all out of quarters.

latest

Windy Day

Not as hard-rocking as the previous track, but it's still pretty damn good. A western-sounding piece with acoustic guitars, trumpets (or some other trumpet-like instrument), and upbeat strings.

Zoom Down

Guitar solo. Synth solo. Some creepy woman monologuing about the end of the world or something. More guitar solos. Repeat.

- - -

So the soundtrack is pretty great, and is reason #1000 why we all need more Metal Slug in our lives. Discuss.

FAKE EDIT:

And if you know of any IRL bands that have this sound, feel free to recommend them to me.

Pila

I like you. <3

Maybe my fav OST in the series.

My bro has the NG with all the original stuff (MVS) gotta play it again sometimes with him.

Ninja Dom

It's actually a great game. But probably one of the least played of the series after the disappointment of 4.

Gonna have to play this again to hear the soundtrack as I never paid enough attention to it first time round.

Mawlok

I will have to agree with you with the greatness of this soundtrack. Not my favourite game in the series but definitely the best soundtrack.

Jintor

Unfortunately I only played MS3 to the point where I can hear the soundtrack in my mind (MISSION! START!)

BusterJol

It has a great soundtrack. God i just love Metal Slug everything. Well maybe except for the backgrounds in 6 and 7...and 3D...

Theonik

5 is actually pretty good compared to 4.
I didn't play it much after I cleared it though.
Maybe it's something to do I had forgotten the OST being this good.
2/X Still has my favourite arrangements of conventional MS themes like Final Attack.

BadWolf

So many memories with this game.

Easily one of my most played in the series.

And for all the hate MS4 gets, it had a fantastic soundtrack.

Top Bottom