• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Prented Tomb Raider: Dagger of Xian was announced. How would you feel?

tuxfool

Banned
As much as people joked that Lara was a merciless killer of endangered species, I preferred that Lara to psychopath/asthmatic Lara.

Was with you up to this point.

Modern TR shits all over classic TR as far as design, gameplay, fun, etc. in my opinion

FTFY.

I prefer the gameplay of older TR games, however design of the modern TR maps is enjoyable.

I feel a blend of both series strong suits would create the perfect TR game.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
FTFY.

I prefer the gameplay of older TR games, however design of the modern TR maps is enjoyable.

I feel a blend of both series strong suits would create the perfect TR game.
When I first started playing ROTTR I was wowed by the size of the environments and opportunities for exploration. Then I realised all the exploration was optional for shitty collectibles littered throughout the map instead of being tied to the core gameplay.

Give me huge environments to explore that I need to explore if that makes sense.

Cleve

If I want to slide blocks around for hours at a time I'd rather do it as a reality warping soul-vampire. I have no love for the older TR games.

When I first started playing ROTTR I was wowed by the size of the environments and opportunities for exploration. Then I realised all the exploration was optional for shitty collectibles littered throughout the map instead of being tied to the core gameplay.

Give me huge environments to explore that I need to explore if that makes sense.

I just preferred navigated the maps in ROTTR than most of the older levels in past TR games. Could definitely do with tweaking.

A blend is needed. Both series' have strengths and weakness.

Shin-chan

Anything not Rise of the Tomb Raider would be a huge improvement but we aren't getting it.

Game needs more gameplay and les sub systems of collecting turgid shit. I agree, the opening and the potential of the environments was a hugely misleading opening because the rest of the game has been so bland after what could have been.

A proper TR2 call back would be incredible but at this stage I have zero faith in Crysyal Dynamics who I am now convinced are a pretty average dev. I don't think they could do it justice.

Mman235

A proper TR2 call back would be incredible but at this stage I have zero faith in Crysyal Dynamics who I am now convinced are a pretty average dev.

Having went through most of CD's back catalogue over the last year or so (I haven't played all the Gex games I guess lol) I pretty much agree with this. The only genuinely brilliant game they've made that's entirely their vision is the original Soul Reaver; the rest of their output is either interesting but very flawed or all the current trends of it's day thrown together with little voice of it's own.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Modern TR shits all over classic TR as far as design, gameplay, fun, etc.

On opposite day, this is indeed the case yes.

But otherwise classic TR is a far more engaging, challenging, and immersive experience. So many jumps mean death, environmental hazards are everywhere, and almost every level is creepy/unnerving. Combat is about the only area where the newer games are better but unfortunately they took it too far and made the whole challenge combat rather than the platforming.

That would be exiting. I have fond memories of Tomb Raider 2.

I played the crap out of the demo and my parents got it for me for my birthday.

I wanted Resident Evil 2 but wasn't allowed to play those games. But I did play them years later.

notaskwid

15654445_0.JPG

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is it the same story in the modern gameplay style? That's the only way it would work

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I wouldn't mind a TR2 remake. BUT (and this is a HUGE but) it would need the Core Design team to be gathered to help Crystal Dynamics out. I still feel Square-Enidos did Core dirty in not allowing them to do the PSP remake they initially pitched before outright killing them in favor of Crystal Dynamics handling the series.

chemicals

TR2 should feature something more like TRLegend/TRAnniversary gameplay. The TR2013 engine would break the game.

Lime

Was with you up to this point.

Modern TR shits all over classic TR as far as design, gameplay, fun, etc.

Yup that scripted gameplay, meaningless collect-a-thon, bland cover shooter, and emphasis on a shitty story sure is "fun".

The new design philosophy of the Tomb Raider reboots are so fucking cynical and generic that it practically makes me sick how unoriginal and calculated every single thing in those games are. There's zero creativity in them, it's just a factory-produced McDonald's meal in video game form, i.e. disposable commodity entertainment.

Wanderer5

Eeeeh I don't know, but I probably wouldn't care then if they screw it up. I love TR2 so much especially the second half, and while I think Anniversary was still great, it did butcher some levels kind of badly lol.

If they did more of what they did with St Francis Folly and Egypt in TRA (best parts of it) in terms of how faithful and well made they were, then that would be really nice.

Top Bottom