• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Grand Strategy.

For the last four years or so, one kind of game has taken up the majority of my gaming time. It's not the sort of game you can find on a console, and until relatively recently they have received nearly zero media attention. They are complicated, they are niche and they are highly addictive. They are "Grand Strategy games".

61f6zmgqvbl._sx300_hlssi.jpg

Crappy Image taken from random amazon bundle to avoid having to actually put all the covers together myself.

These games are generally all from one company located in Sweden called Paradox Interactive. The games include:

• Crusader Kings series
  • Europa Universalis series
  • Victoria series
  • Hearts of Iron series

Each covers a different time period and has very different gameplay from each other. But they all have a lot of things in common, too.

Grand Strategy? Is that like Total War? Or Civilization?

No. It's not really one of the traditionally recognised genres and you could try to fit it under several existing labels if you really wanted to. They are "real time strategy" insofar as they have a ticking clock (not turn based) and are strategy games. They are not RTS in the same way Starcraft is an RTS, where you have real time tactics and base-building / simple economics.

They are sort of like Civilization in that they span very large time periods and feature the rise and fall of empires. But there are no turns. There is no directed research. There are no wonders. You do not found cities. Ghandi does not nuke you. They are sort of like Total War in that you have historically themed units, large armies and a strategic layer. But it is in another sense nothing like Total War because there is no tactical layer at all - combat is something you do not have direct control over, although you *do* heavily influence the outcome of a battle by controlling where it takes place, who is in charge of the armies, the technology and morale of your forces etc.

Who is it for? Why would I want to play something so lame?

While dissimilar to the games I mentioned for several reasons, there is a lot of overlap in the kind of person who enjoys painting the map your colour in Risk or Total War and the kind of person who would enjoy these games. If you ever found yourself getting mods for Civilization to make it more historically accurate or increase the complexity of the game, you might find that the itch you're trying to scratch is best satisfied with these games instead.

Different games will satisfy different urges.

Crusader Kings 2 is all about running a Dynasty, backstabbing medieval politics, navigating the power structures of countries (think Game of Thrones, except not shit like the actual GOT games), or being a motherfucking Viking. It spans (with expansion packs) something like 600-700 years, with various starting points of historical significance (1066, for instance). You can start as a lowly count or an established Emperor. Expand through political / diplomatic means or military force. Want to fend off the Muslim invaders and restore the Roman Empire? Can do. Want to get the Pope on your side and excommunicate your neighbour? Possible. Want to play as a small tribal kingdom in West Africa? Also possible. Be a Viking raider and carve out a Norse empire? You better believe it. For more modest aims, try starting as a count or duke and seizing the throne of France or becoming the new Holy Roman Emperor.

Crusader Kings II is the latest version of the series.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Europa Universalis has you playing not as a character but as a country more abstractly. Less internal modeling of politics, more focus on exploration, colonisation, warfare etc. It covers the period from 1444 - 1821, from the late Renaissance to the modern period. The entire world is in the game, and you can play everything from European bishoprics to Japanese warlords and Native American tribes. Large European states are recommended to start off with the game, though!

Europa Universalis IV is the latest version of the series.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victoria is all about the Victorian era of history, starting in 1836 and ending in 1936. It models mass politics, revolution, trade, industrial production and so on to a deep level. It's all about the Great Powers carving up the world between them. It's the series I've played the least by far, but it's still good in its own right.

Victoria 2 (Heart of Darkness expansion) is the latest iteration of the series.

Hearts of Iron is the most focussed game in the list. It spans 1936-1948, and is all about building up for and fighting World War II. Any country is playable, but most of the action happens in Europe and the Pacific. A game as Panama is not likely to be exciting. As a WWII game all about the war itself, it focusses on directed research, industry as it pertains to arms manufacturing and combat itself. You will have a full Order-of-Battle down to the Brigade/Regiment level. You will launch vast operations if you're playing one of the majors, handling logistics, supply, production and R&D to try and win for your faction (Axis, Allies, or Comintern).

Hearts of Iron 3 (Their Finest Hour expansion pack) is the latest iteration of the series.

What are people saying?

"Nordic peoples raped and stole from my ancestors, and I'm glad to see that Paradox Interactive are continuing this tradition with me."

Community threads

We have several ongoing threads on GAF including EU multiplayer sessions.

Paradox Grand Strategy OT
EU4 Multiplayer session

Why don't you join in? The steam sales are coming any day now, and there are always extensive discounts. We are happy to help if you're having trouble working out exactly what to buy, since there are approximately 1 billion DLC packages available for each game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
After being spoiled by CK II, I miss so much the possibility of killing a ruler in EU IV, like my last 0/0/4 ruler in the MP session.

I really love the concept especially CK2 but it always seems impenetrable especially CK2.

I learned how to play EU3 back in the day by watching a Let's Play on Youtube from a professional player. The games have all changed so much since the Tutorials came out that it's honestly not even that useful in many cases.

The learning curve is very real. You sort of have to jump into the deep end and make what you can of it unless you're lucky enough to have someone who knows how to play to guide you. The communities here on GAF will answer questions and there are other places on the net you can go for help - official forums mainly but also places like subreddits. All of the games are worth getting into, though.

Chariot

CKII is so much fun and rage. I used to play it in multiplayer with friends, but since Charlemagne we can't play without our Linux user getting kicked out of the game within seconds. We tried hours to fix this to no avail.

Its game of thrones mid is the best game of thrones game we currentky have. CKII was made to be the core of THE GoT game.

Xando

I love Grand Strategy games.

Never got into CK2 but EU4 and HOI3 took so much of my time.

Can't wait for HOI4 early next year, will rob me many nights where i should've gone to bed.

Never played the Victoria games, are they easy to get into?

My favourite genre of games, hate to think of the hours I've sunk into all of them. EU 4 is without a doubt the best of the bunch, and it's only getting better.

Fedelias

CK2 is an absolute blast, and I'm enjoying EU4 even more. The depth these games have is really insane, and the gameplay is just so much fun (who doesn't want to shape their own ahistorical empires?). Really looking forward to HOI4, although I'm sure it'll take awhile for me to understand. I think the only downside to grand strategy games is the initial shock of the complexity, and the trying over and over to understand all the mechanics. But once you understand them, these games are just incredible. Really recommend them to anyone who enjoys strategy games.

Crisium

EU3 and 4 have stolen so many hundreds of hours of my life. Luckily, most of it was with a friend who felt the addiction with me as we tag teamed against the world.

Great times.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
I've been interested in getting into these types of games for awhile now, but anytime I try to watch Let's Plays of them everything just goes way over my head and I usually shut them off after a few minutes. I actually got a few Paradox games from a flash bundle a while back. Briefly reading on them it seems like Darkest Hour, and War of Eagles are the most new player friendly, so hopefully I'll have a lot more luck trying them out myself.

Never played the Victoria games, are they easy to get into?

If you've played other games yes. The economics system is opaque as fuck but generally you can get by without too much understanding of how the economics model works. The new things to watch out for are -

- Rebel system
- Consciousness / militarization of strata
- Factories and how they work
- Influence mechanics / Great Power status stuff
- Mobilization as a concept for militaries.

Combat feels different and you'll need tweaking if you've come from EU.

I know that the OP has some recommendations based on setting but is there one people recommend for someone that is a beginner to this genre like me? I've only really played the Civilization games extensively and I have no preference for a particular setting either way.

Vaddon

Grand strategy games have become my favourite genre, my interest in them has exploded in the last couple of years. The learning curves can be really steep but it feels so rewarding when you get to grips with the games. CK2 and EUIV weren't too bad though, CK2 was pretty much my "entry level" game into the grand strategy genre. I initially found the mechanics of Paradox games really overwhelming and somewhat off-putting but I stuck it out. I've since gone back and played former Paradox games and they're fun too, although I still find some learning curves really brutal from past games. I struggle a bit with the HoI series in particular, which I find most complex, but I am looking forward to HoI IV a lot. Fantastic games in general, however.

I know that the OP has some recommendations based on setting but is there one people recommend for someone that is a beginner to this genre like me? I've only really played the Civilization games extensively and I have no preference for a particular setting either way.

I consider Europa Universalis IV to be the gentlest introduction to these style of games.

I'm unsure of how reliable the tutorials are for them at the moment, though, since there have been some mechanics changes through patching since they were originally made.

zoku88

I've been kind of interested in finding games of this genre that aren't made by Paradox.

I've heard masters of orion is kind of similar. Is that accurate?

Xando

I've started with Hearts of Iron 3. While the tutorials aren't really good i found it quite easy to learn after i watched a few YT videos and tried it out on very easy.

I love CKII, tried to play the tutorial but it bugged so I went into it blindly. What I mostly enjoy on that game is the randomness, I may be living in peace with my dynasty then suddenly I'm involved in the middle of a huge war while trying to get my son married and fulfilling my ambitions.

Was just telling a friend of mine about CKII last night while we were playing FIFA. Mac users can't play online with PC players can they? Or is there some workaround for that?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You should mention that CKII is also the best A Song of Ice and Fice game in existence thanks to the Game of Thrones mod and the fact that even the base game is pretty much hits the same notes in game form that ASoIaF does in book form.

Chariot

Was just telling a friend of mine about CKII last night while we were playing FIFA. Mac users can't play online with PC players can they? Or is there some workaround for that?
We play with a linux user. Used to work fine, butnot so good atm. Should work with a Mac user all the same.

How does CKII MP work? Is there something similar to a "play by email" option due to how long games can take? Can you pause the action at anytime?

I got my dad addicted to the GoT CKII mod, but haven't tried it myself. For a while I was playing CKII religiously (hah!) as an Irish count, trying to take over the Emerald Isle, but haven't touched it in a while.
Also you forgot Sengoku, the GS that takes place soley on Japan.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/indie/sengoku/

This mod is truly amazing! It truly makes you feel like you're living on Westeros/Essos, and the modders are always updating and releasing compatible versions when CKII gets a new update/expansion.

Chariot

How does CKII MP work? Is there something similar to a "play by email" option due to how long games can take? Can you pause the action at anytime?
Generally the host can declare gamespeed, including pause. Everyone can pause though. Play by email is not possible since the game is real time.

cartesian

After recently downloading and enjoying the Steam demo, I'm getting Europa Universalis IV for Christmas.

It'll be my first grand strategy game and my first Paradox game. I grew up on a diet of Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 so this will be quite a big leap for me - I've never even played Civilization - but the demo was a (confusing but wonderful) revelation and I'm really looking forward to diving into the full experience. I've noted down a few YouTube playthroughs to watch when I get the time so I can see how it is meant to be played.

I can see myself sinking many hours into this game. Many, many hours.

Leb

The upcoming 'Way of Life' expansion for CKII is going to make CKII the greatest grand strategy/'murder your friends, family, lovers and Pope' game of all time.

Also, for people who are daunted by these games in general, at least give CKII a try. It's easily the simplest of the PDX games to pick up and if you're into emergent narratives and gameplay, well, there's nothing else quite like it.

Also, for people who are daunted by these games in general, at least give CKII a try. It's easily the simplest of the PDX games to pick up and if you're into emergent narratives and gameplay, well, there's nothing else quite like it.

I think EU is more straight forwards since there are fewer situations where you suddenly have your country revolting against you for opaque reasons or randomly get a shit ruler and then you're facing a civil war. No inheritance laws, split successions and so on.

CK2 is my most played grand stratregy game. It is incredible; the sheer amount of things that can happen is mind-boggling, and the utter love Paradox have given in the game in both patches and expansions have increased the possibilities a thousandfold. It is, far and away, the most wonderfully unpredictable strategy/RPG I've ever played.

Europa 3/4 are the only other grand strategy games I've played. I find the economic/logistical angle interesting, but it has yet to grab me the way CK2 did.

The one thing I've learned from grand strategy games is that looking at a map has never been so fun.

zer0das

Banned
CK2 and EU4 are the only games where I felt like I had to dump 40 hours into learning the games to any degree of depth, and actually felt like it was worth it.

I tried HOI3 and Vicky 2 and got really freaking confused though. I felt like CK2 -> EU4 was an overall decrease in complexity (with some more specialized knowledge you learn over time in EU4 that isn't really necessary for playing the game, but its nice to know/helpful). And then HOI 3 is absolutely nothing like either CK2/EU4. Probably could learn Vicky 2 pretty fast if I had the patience to sit down and learn another grand strategy game, but I think I'm a bit burned out at this point (after like 1000 hours between CK2/EU4).

I watched like an hour of a HOI3 introduction/these are the game mechanics and was like, all he's done is described military organization and I still have no idea what is going on other than I'm managing my forces extremely ineptly. And there's like another 50 videos that are 10-30 minutes long each.

I watched like an hour of a HOI3 introduction/these are the game mechanics and was like, all he's done is described military organization and I still have no idea what is going on other than I'm managing my forces extremely ineptly. And there's like another 50 videos that are 10-30 minutes long each.

HoI3 took ages to get me to learn how shit worked. A lot of the time you've just gotta fail, and then google for wtf happened, and then work from there. The main issue, IMO, is that because the whole game is building towards one big war, you have to manage stuff for so long in a 1936 start before you get any feedback in terms of success in war.

You've gotta plan your builds and armies and strategies years before implementing them. And fucking up big time can mean a lost game. It has win/loss conditions, unlike the other more sandbox games in the series.

- Do NOT play as the USSR to begin with. The OoB is a nightmare.
- Playing as UK / USA is really hard to lose, but really hard to win if you don't understand the mechanics yet.
- Germany is a fairly easy thing to start as, but once Barbarossa comes around, you'll be fucked if you don't know how to play properly.

But that's ok. Let yourself get fucked and learn. Use the automation heavily so you don't have to think so much.

Once you've learned how supply / naval stuff works and have a grasp on tech / production, USA is so easy it's ludicrous. I can solo the Axis by Christmas 1942 usually. Japan capitulates within 4 month of declaring on America.

I forgot to add that CK2, EU3, and EU4 have fantastic soundtracks that make burning countless hours of life away a breeze. Paradox really knows their stuff.

The others are probably similar...
Don't do it GAF. Countless hours will disappear from your life.

We have to. It is our destiny.

Would Koei games like Nobunaga's Amibiton, Sangokushi, and Gemfire count here? They pioneered grand strategy mechanics well before anyone, in addition to increasing the scale of strategy games relative to all but the most complex mainframe games.

bathsalts

With civ:be being kind of a bust at least until some expacs, I'm tempted to give these a go over the holidays. Is there a good chance that the whole collection of the games goes on sale for steam winter, I see ck2 collection on g2a for $25, you werent kidding about the amount of dlc, holy shit. better to just start vanilla?

I love grand strategy games. Each game is different and rewarding:

- Like when I established the Kingdom of Ireland, but got the succession rules wrong. When the king died, the lands were redevided, my character was an idiot with low stats and who was hated by his brothers and sisters (I had favoured him and married off the others). As I recall it, he was assassinated by his older brother and his lands were handed over to him. Game over.

- Like when I pre-preemptively attacked France as Nazi Germany, couldn't achieve a break-through in the North and ended up attacking through Switzerland winning the Western Front. Poland however put up a stiff fight and lasted for half a year before capitulating. (I still don't know how to play HoI3)

- Like when as Brandenburg (sp?) I blobbed all over Northern Europe until the Danes and Russians decided enough was enough and waged a merciless war upon me.

I've been meaning to get into these games for a long time. Is there a sale on Steam or am I hosed until the next sale happens? Because I have company holiday next week through New Years Day and I want to waste my life on these games during that time.

The Llama

I've put almost 200 hours into EU4 and I still kind of suck haha.

Love these games though. I'm just starting to try to get into CK2, and it's crazy how different it is.

Khronico

Out of all the grand strategy games I've played I'd rate them as such:

1. Vicky 2
2. CK2
3. Darkest Hour

Grand strategy is a genre that produces 'water-cooler' type stories that nothing else can match. Stuff like watching my Belgian monarchist government get voted out of office by democratic reformers and being forced to watch the country's economy collapse from various destructive policies (Vicky), or having my wife assassinate my brother in law to gain his portion of Ireland (CKII). I can't get the same experience anywhere else.

Unfortunately I haven't played as much of the genre as I would like (steam backlog grows ever larger -_-)

I've been meaning to get into these games for a long time. Is there a sale on Steam or am I hosed until the next sale happens? Because I have company holiday next week through New Years Day and I want to waste my life on these games during that time.

You won't have to wait long. Most, if not all, of the base games and DLC will go on sale during Steam's winter sale.

I anticipate 75% off the collections, at the very least.

Edit
With civ:be being kind of a bust at least until some expacs, I'm tempted to give these a go over the holidays. Is there a good chance that the whole collection of the games goes on sale for steam winter, I see ck2 collection on g2a for $25, you werent kidding about the amount of dlc, holy shit. better to just start vanilla?

By all means, start with the base game if you want. The expansions + DLC add more variety for the player, but it will be some time before you can grasp it enough to take advantage of them. Unless something changed recently, the only things truly locked out of the game by xpacs are the different starting eras, all the rest is merely unavailable to the player (but still usable by AI).

It's not on sale currently afaik but they WILL be on sale over Christmas. Whenever steam sales start, pick up one of the base games. Then when it's a daily deal, grab the important DLC and other stuff.

Keb

Neo Member
I play board wargames, and don't have too much trouble with those because I can grok through them with a rulebook in hand.

I have played two hours of Europa Universalis IV, and the tutorials did nothing to help the learning process. Any good links for let's plays geared towards learning the game?

Thanks!

Started playing these kind of games with Europa Universalis 2 in 2001. I was 13 years old and the first couple of times I had no fucking clue what I was doing. Glad I stuck with it, never stopped playing since.

Europa Universalis is still my favourite and it's a blast to play MP. It's one of the reasons I always stuck with PC gaming.

I always go back to playing Portugal though, I just love to colonize and discover "new" land. Guess it's in my blood.

Anyone with any kind of interest in grand strategy should jump in. With the sales coming a lot of these games will be dirt cheap and the amount of content in these is outstanding. Do yourself a favor and try it. Try not to be overwhelmed and stick with it a little bit. It's well worth it.

It's also one of those games that you can play with friends, later go out, grab a beer and talk about what is going on in your game, have a fist fight because of something your friend is trying to pull of in game, etc. The game let's you write your history and a lot of interesting, funny, tragic stuff happens and it will make you talk about it and laugh together with your friends. Like when one of my buddies failed horribly with France and got completely destroyed by rebels early on. We were all dicks and none of us helped him. I think he's still mad with us today for that. Playing it in LAN was one of the greatest moments in gaming for me, I pissed myself laughing on those nights (the drinks might have helped).

Anyway, I'd play it even more if it wasn't so time consuming, but we still manage to do a couple of games every now and then. Love it.

Top Bottom