• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Pokemon OSTs.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been mucking around in Soul Silver and just started White 1.

Soul Silver has had a lot of really pleasant tracks. I dig the cave theme used in various locations, though many of the over world themes haven't quite stuck.

White 1 has been a mix of great to horrible so far. I really liked the first several areas such as the early towns where even speaking to some NPC's add new instruments! Very cool. The battle themes have taken some getting used to, but overall I dig them as well.

However, the big city which I just reached(forget the name)...goddamn what a horrible track. It's like a 10 second jingle on constant loop that reminds me of a 7-eleven theme in Japan. Just so awful especially for what I guess is the largest, most expansive city in the game.

Loving White the game a lot so far though. Even mores than Soul Silver.

wmlk

Here are my favourites (massive post alert):

Starting Town Theme:

ASPERTIA CITY, Black 2 and White 2
I love how this starting theme is not as sentimental as the other ones.

(Also, listen to the Twinleaf Town theme from the anime. Really bittersweet.)

Opening Route Theme:

ROUTE 29, HeartGold and SoulSilver
Awesome. Pokemon Crystal was my first game, and Route 29 is very memorable for me for this reason.

"Adventurous" Route Theme (two of them):

ROUTE 119, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_WkWaoBgNYBest Route ever in my opinion. Crazy thunderstorm and the tall grass was awesome. Made fishing for Feebas so much easier. Hoenn and Sinnoh have the best Route themes in my opinion, so you should listen to all of them. This is just the most memorable Route for me in terms of design.

ROUTE 216, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum
Such a fun theme; love how slow it starts off. Music for the Sinnoh routes are the best in the whole series, I think.

(Special mention to "The Road to Cerulean City - From Mt. Moon" from the Pokemon anime. A rearrangement of Route 2 from RBGY/FRLG. The anthem of Pokemon in my opinion.)

City Theme:

LILYCOVE CITY, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald
Love the waltz!

(Lilycove City from the anime is gorgeous.)

Surf Theme:

Gold, Silver, Crystal
It gets really good from 0:35. Game Freak loves waltz for Surf music. PokeRemixStudio's rendition of this theme is great too.

Bicycle Theme:

Red, Blue, Green, Yellow
Nothing beats the original this time.

Battle Theme:

COLRESS, Black 2 and White 2
Love the instrumentation in this. Fits Colress extremely well. Go Ichinose's a genius.

Champion Battle:

Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald
Starts off strong immediately. Cynthia's encounter theme is also awesome.

Legendary Battle:

DIALGA AND PALKIA, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum
Epic sounding. Disappointing how the newer legendary themes aren't quite up to par.

Credits Theme:

Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald
Bittersweet. The one for DPPt is also really well done.

I like how the music is consistent across all games. I've related to the series from a very young age and the music is what continues to bring me back. I think it's due to Junichi Masuda, the composer for the original games, directing the series AND STILL making some themes for the games. Go Ichinose is still there from 2nd Gen, and he continues to make awesome stuff.

I'll take a leaf from wmlk (post 159) and use his format, seems like a good way to group it up.

Starting Town Theme:

NEW BARK TOWN, Gold, Silver and Crystal
Although Silver wasnt my forst pokemon game, it was the one that I understood the game better and when I think of pokemon music, this pops into my head. The start of 2 journeys, into Johto, as well into new Kanto.

Opening Route Theme:

ROUTE 101, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald
Really set the mood for a new adventure for me. Whimsical enough to be happy, and enough to add a sense of anticipation for what will come

"Adventurous" Route Theme (Guess I have to do 2 as well, to many good ones to pick):

ROUTE 10, Black and White
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=465uaHc-r6AReally good feel for the route. This route was one of my favorites in terms of design. Really cool look and feel to it.

ROUTE 38, Heart Gold and Soul Silver
Like the pervious one, it really had a good feel of exploration to it. One of my favorite routes, purely because this is where I saw my first legendary llama, and the same one that I caught my first.

City Theme:

Vermillion Ciry, Heart Gold and Soul Silver
It's slow build up to the familiar theme from RBY when you first step off that ship into the very familiar land of Kanto for the first time was amazing to me as a child. HGSS captured that feeling perfectly with the xylophone.

Surf Theme:

Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald
I would hope this would be the best one, seeing as most of the map is water. All hail the glorious trumpets

Bicycle Theme:

Red, Blue, and Yellow
Cant go wrong with this tune.

Battle Theme:

COLRESS, Black 2 and White 2
I believe at this point, Colress' theme is widely accepted as one of the best themes in pokemon to ever exist. As it should be.

Gym Leader Theme:

Johto Gym, Heart Gold and Soul Silver
Really got my blood pumping, it did its job exceptionally well

Enemy Team Theme (any goes, Grunt or Leader):

The Boss of Team Galactic, Diamond, Pearl and Platinum
Really good music for the battle that decides that fate of a universe. Plus it has a bass line that sounds like a good fit in a Kirby game, you cant go wrong.

Champion Battle:

Lance/Red from Heart Gold, Soul Silver
Amazing theme. Fitting of both a cheating dragon master(3 under leveled dragonites, lol) and red, the true pokemon master. This is a good metal cover I found browsing newgrounds years ago.

Legendary Battle (I had to go with 3, couldn't narrow it down well):

Kanto Legendary Theme, X and Y
Amazing is the first word to come to mind. Excelent theme, great throwback to the original theme at 0:50 ish. Perfect tune to catch Mewtwo or the birds to. Really miss when legends werent so easy to capture. Gimme back my capture rate of 3, not this 45 crap from Sinnoh onwards.

Deoxys theme, Fire Red and Leaf Green
Really good theme, many never actually experienced it because the Wi-Fi system wasn't in place at this point. Shame, because its glorious.

Ho-oh Theme, Heart Gold and Soul Silver
shout outs to Ho-oh from HGSS as well, those drums man

Credits Theme:

Black and White
You feel like the king of the world right now. Beat the coolest rival the series has to offer, save for Silver, and beat the game. Gets you pumped to go back and actually face the champion for real, then Alder makes you bend over with that moth from hell.

Gen 2 and Gen 5 had my favorite tracks from the entire series, and lookin gback at my list remlects this.

Top Bottom