• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about the new Democratic line that extends from ME to LA/MS (maps!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
That is, Maine to Louisiana/Mississippi.

It has not always existed. Part of the reason is the old three way split between Dixiecrats, Democrats, and Republicans. Specifically, in 1960 Democrats carried the election with the south, with most counties in the South going for Democrats and most in the north going for Republicans. Except for cities, which went Democratic. 1964 saw that flip, with nearly all counties throughout the country going Democratic except those in the South. 1968 is when things get...weird.

1968 map
. Please note the map key as colors are assigned different than the modern standard.

C860HfP.png

And Nixon's South Strategy, well. I think Southern Strategy is actually a misnomer. And I think how the GOP has won votes around the country since then will play this out.

1972 map

qSd5iNz.png

Now lets move to the new Democratic line. It really deserves a fancy name that I hope someone coins.

I think Carter actually deserves credit for bringing this line about. Despite the Southern Strategy, even during Reagan a line of counties extending from the Mississippi River in MS/AK/LA to Southern VA.

1984 map

czhkNrX.png

Though patchy in 1988, these same counties remain Democratic.

1988 map

Lnd5pAP.png

During Clinton's campaigns the Northern section from ME down to NJ begins and the Southern from the Mississippi at AK/LA/MS to southern VA begins to grow.

1992 map

33tINGU.png

1996 map

2dENkR0.png

Bush's elections in 2000 and 2004 actually serve to highlight exactly where this line is. From the Mississippi River in AK/MS/LA across AL, through GA, north across SC and NC, and again stopping in southern VA before picking up in MD and carrying all the way north to ME. Now we get back to modern color standards.

2000 map

4L0YyuS.png

2004 map

rZ4Twcx.png

Obama solidified the line and managed to all but connect the line through central VA.

Both 2008

3J50utg.png

And 2012.

zJL5ejn.png

Despite how much counties swung to the GOP in 2016, Clinton managed to hold firm that line.

YtTuZcq.png

Now what might be causing this? Well, the Southern Strategy for one. Which maybe we should now call the rural/suburban strategy? There are two other important factors that I see. One is population density.

Population density in 2011 from the Census Bureau.

6cgYsTs.jpg

2004 NY Times population density map and winners:

The other are places where minorities or the college educated make up majorities. Clinton won every minority group with the exception of white women without a college degree. She also won every college educated group except white men (sorry).

2012 Minority and College education map

uEE4ZNZ.png

Now, this makes sense intuitively. Of course places that are dense where young people move to, where minorities live, where people are exposed to people of different background, and where people are better educated will tend towards Democrats. But the surprising thing is where this actually happens geographically in the United States. Who would guess looking at any electoral college map that there extends a line of counties, only occasionally broken, from Maine to Louisiana/Mississippi that regularly votes Democrat. Even where in states where Democratic voters do not yet make up a majority. It stands in stark contrast to the Midwest where there are (now) islands of Democratic support. And I believe it shows the true effect of the Southern Strategy. Which should really get a new name. You may have noticed that there was a secondary line through TN and KY that ran into WV. I believe that line, lacking minority and college educated voters, fell with the demise of organized labor and rural New Deal Democrats.

So basically, you are suggesting that the democrats should go for not just North Carolina, Florida, and Georgia, but also South Carolina, Alabama, and Mississippi by focusing on maximizing that "blue line"?

You're talking about this line here?

Interesting, but I'm not sure what it really means in practical terms.

It means that MAYBE the democrats could actually flip the Southern Strategy on its head by using that "Blue Line" to turn the Southeast blue.

It's interesting, but I feel like it could only work in an election where Trump's fanbase is a lot less enthusiastic about voting.

WedgeX

Banned
You're talking about this line here?

Interesting, but I'm not sure what it really means in practical terms.

Yep that line. Maybe I'll edit the maps to include that.

So basically, you are suggesting that the democrats should go for not just North Carolina, Florida, and Georgia, but also South Carolina, Alabama, and Mississippi by focusing on maximizing that "blue line"?

In the near term I don't think it will help in Presidential elections. However. In state and local elections I believe it may be worth investing in.

Ogodei

The I-95 Corridor Megalopolis merges pretty neatly with the Slave Belt once you get to Richmond, VA. It's just a coincidence that the one starts where the other one ends. The blue belt you see on the modern maps going from VA to LA corresponds very strongly to where there was a high concentration of cotton plantations in the Antebellum era, which has led to a larger black population who remains there to this day.

The I-95 Corridor Megalopolis merges pretty neatly with the Slave Belt once you get to Richmond, VA. It's just a coincidence that the one starts where the other one ends. The blue belt you see on the modern maps going from VA to LA corresponds very strongly to where there was a high concentration of cotton plantations in the Antebellum era, which has led to a larger black population who remains there to this day.

I'm not sure that follows -- southern LA, MS, AL, GA, and eastern SC had a ton of plantations and are not on that line.

Rather, I think the line you are seeing is the fall line, a geological boundary where the upland meets the coastal plain. It is characterized by rapids and waterfalls and was an ideal place to site mills and other industry back-in-the-day. Towns grew around them and to this day they are more urban spaces with centers of learning that attract (or create) more Democrat-leaning people.

A map.

WedgeX

Banned
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Belt_(U.S._region)

You mean this?

Also, the reversed party colors on the first few maps you posted threw me off.

It almost corresponds but not quite. There are large swaths through the South that have minorities as the largest voting groups yet don't go Democratic.

I'm not sure that follows -- southern LA, MS, AL, GA, and eastern SC had a ton of plantations and are not on that line.

Rather, I think the line you are seeing is the fall line, a geological boundary where the upland meets the coastal plain. It is characterized by rapids and waterfalls and was an ideal place to site mills and other industry back-in-the-day. Towns grew around them and to this day they are more urban spaces with centers of learning that attract (or create) more Democrat-leaning people.

A map.

This line is closer! The swing in GA/AL/MS even looks similar. Need to do some GIS work to see if the topography matches up even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom