• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At 3 a.m., NC Senate GOP strips education funding from Democrats’ districts

wisdom0wl

The mental gymnastics for this one must be legendary.
Fuck these people. Republicans and all their voters are to blame for this. If only their policies were restricted to their voters. If these people wanted shit policies that essentially kill them off, fuck it suit yourself and God speed. Don't drag everyone else down.

They passed a bill a few years ago that has something to do with motorcycles. But they slipped some abortion laws in it somehow.
The motorcycle abortion bill.

impirius

I'm the kind of person who tries to get along with everyone, celebrates differences in opinion, and makes a concerted effort to respect and empathize with those on the other side of issues.

That said, if every single one of these assholes just suddenly keeled over dead tomorrow, I wouldn't be upset. They are everything that is wrong with American politics, and they are ruining my state. NC is barely a functioning democratic republic at this point.

diunxx

Both parties are the same guys! vote for the Alepo guy or the Wifi lady and make a real difference.

Duxxy3

So aside from the shittiness, the competing issues, from what I can see, were an effort to combat an opioid epidemic and others that were education based.

That's not an easy call.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So aside from the shittiness, the competing issues, from what I can see, were an effort to combat an opioid epidemic and others that were education based.

That's not an easy call.

You're implying that these two issues could only share one possible source of funding which you should realize is complete nonsense. Especially when you see an immense corporate tax cut.

iammeiam

That's not an easy call.

"Competing issues" implies they had a strict budget target limiting what they could do; they didn't. Republicans, in fact, insist that the government is collecting more money than it needs and that the tax cut is important to stop taking in money they don't need:

Berger defended the tax cuts in the Senate budget. ”We feel strongly that when government collects more than it needs, some of that money should be returned to the taxpayers," he said.

The conservative John Locke Foundation praised the Senate's plan, noting that the growth in spending is less than the rate of inflation and population growth.

”Restraining state spending growth shows a great deal of prudence, especially when a budget surplus of $580 million means that special interests are placing more pressure on lawmakers to increase spending across state government," said Becki Gray, senior vice president of the group.

The state apparently has a revenue surplus, which should make funding priorities like opioid treatment possible without refusing to fund programs to address food deserts or outright banning state funds from being used on a STEM program.

There's no reason to believe there's anything to this aside from the general shittiness.

Zaventem

There's a thread up right now asking if someone would date the opposite party and it's weird how how seeing lots of "sure why not". Lmao i don't understand republicans, it's like they do things out of spite.

There's a thread up right now asking if someone would date the opposite party and it's weird how how seeing lots of "sure why not". Lmao i don't understand republicans, it's like they do things out of spite.

It's weird to see people who claim to be Democrats but have no problem dating Republicans.

You're just enabling this type of bullshit behavior imo.

abundant

What's not to understand? Republicans fall into three categories...

1) Bigots
2) Rich People
3) Mindless Sheep that have to be spoon fed their news and when talking about politics, they parrot whatever they heard from Rush Limbaugh or on Fox News.

TCKaos

t458DM2.jpg

This is the bill that NC Republicans drafted and presented, which was to be voted on the following day. It's worth noting that they complained about Democrats dragging out the process for wanting to make potential amendments to this bill.

I hope every non-conservative who donated to repair that insured building that was firebombed learns their lesson from this if they haven't already.

Never, ever, ever reach across the isle to Republicans unless you have a binding guarantee that stops them from stabbing you in the side with their free hand.

I hope every non-conservative who donated to repair that insured building that was firebombed learns their lesson from this if they haven't already.

Never, ever, ever reach across the isle to Republicans unless you have a binding guarantee that stops them from stabbing you in the side with their free hand.

And even then if you have that much leverage to get a deal like that, it means they aren't actually necessary to talk with in the first place. So it is best to be avoided.

For real. As a single, liberal, politically active woman who just moved to NC, there's no fucking way I'd date a Republican who lives here (or anywhere, really.) Look at the filth they've voted into office and what they're doing to the state. I'm really looking forward to voting in future elections.

Future

Haha how is this a surprise. It's a republican government in that state as voted by the people. These types of cuts are exactly what the people there want.

Republicans probably have similar threads for places like California where rights keep getting expanded for shit they don't want. Red states are gonna be red and blue states are gonna be blue

Haha how is this a surprise. It's a republican government in that state as voted by the people. These types of cuts are exactly what the people there want.

Republicans probably have similar threads for places like California where rights keep getting expanded for shit they don't want. Red states are gonna be red and blue states are gonna be blue

There's quite a human difference in expanding a right that the people have the option to participate in versus disenfranchising them and ensuring they have a terrible foundation in life to work from, though.

These things aren't moral equivalents.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
That sounds a lot worse in the story than it probably is... 1m across multiple places doesn't add up to much.. but the GOP point was that if you want to spend money somewhere you need to cut money someplace else.

I understand that point.. but damn.. some terrible optics.

That sounds a lot worse in the story than it probably is... 1m across multiple places doesn't add up to much.. but the GOP point was that if you want to spend money somewhere you need to cut money someplace else.

In rural parts of NC? That can make a massive difference. Things aren't that expensive out there at all. If this was Raleigh, Charlotte, or any other big city/suburb, then yeah it wouldn't go as far nor affect as much.

Pbae

Can someone tell me like the top three things the GOP has done to make America better within the last decade?

I can't for the life of me think of a single thing. Closest one was No Child Left Behind and that turned into a clusterfuck that helped masked the incentivation of private education.

They always attack and disenfranchise whole swaths of citizens all the while parroting a false victim complex with no net benefit other than to the extremely rich. I'm honestly curious because I'm agreeing with a previous poster that they should now be considered a hate group.

Ekai

I honestly hope the GOP is outright declared a hate group in the near future.

I mean, they already are. Have been for decades.

Even then, never trust a Republican. They're the scum of humanity.

iammeiam

No, the GOP point was "we have control and we can do whatever we want. Annoy us, and we'll arbitrarily punish your constituents."

Again, the Senate Republicans feel like the state government makes too much money:

Berger defended the tax cuts in the Senate budget. “We feel strongly that when government collects more than it needs, some of that money should be returned to the taxpayers,” he said.

The conservative John Locke Foundation praised the Senate’s plan, noting that the growth in spending is less than the rate of inflation and population growth.

They didn't need to cut costs to stave off financial ruin for the state, they weren't going to bankrupt the state by adding the opioid program without stealth cuts, and again in some areas they cut funding to Democratic districts while keeping overall funding the same. They put something in place barring state funding from being used to finance a STEM program. They didn't just not fund it now, they threw something down to make sure it wouldn't get funded later.

Like, this isn't fiscal responsibility vs a wasteful welfare state. This is partisan politics at its absolute worst. This is punishing people for having the audacity for living in areas that voted for the other team. This is planning out a massive corporate taxcut which can be used going forward to justify further cuts.

It's just an incredibly offensive misuse of power; the exact numbers don't even matter--somebody in a district represented by a Democrat shouldn't have to fear losing a single penny just because the GOP is pissed their representatives are dedicated to advocating for their constituents.

Borderline sociopathic. If the other side of the aisle are malicious sociopaths, how is a two party system even supposed to properly function?

The good thing is that in todays social media age, those two early college high schools stripped of 300k can probably make up for it with a campaign for private donations. I imagine the ban on STEM program funding will make people especially angry and willing to contribute. Shit, I would.

Top Bottom