• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk launch line-ups: Xbox One (November 22, 2013)

"Xbox One. Input one."

LEbgF2F.jpg

Previous threads:

Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom (1985)
Sega Genesis/Mega Drive (1989)
Super NES (1991)
Sega CD (1992)
Nintendo 64 (1996)
Sega Dreamcast (1999)
Sony Playstation 2 (2000)
Game Boy Advance (2001)
Microsoft Xbox (2001)
Nintendo DS (2004)
Playstation Portable (2005)
Microsoft Xbox 360 (2005)
Sony Playstation 4 (2013)

I remember the anticipation for the announcements of the PS4 and Xbox One. The PS3/360/Wii generation lasted quite a while, and the Wii U was still a new console at that point. A lot of controversy surrounded the reveal considering the focus on the voice commands, TV aspects

However, the launch was pretty good, I think. I honestly thought the PS4, Wii U and XBO all had a large amount of launch games and a decent amount for many gamers who wanted something for the new generation. Best was yet to come this gen, however, by a long shot.

Angry Birds Star Wars

AefMkYE.png

9N0QVlW.png

YdUaQzS.png

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Crimson Dragon

9NjJe0q.png

Dead Rising 3
FIFA 14
Fighter Within

Wh2YVyb.png

Forza Motorsport 5
Just Dance 2014

ryxW1wD.png

Killer Instinct
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
LocoCycle
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14

C2OBqvE.png

Need for Speed Rivals
Powerstar Golf

QZSyga7.png

Ryse: Son of Rome
Skylanders: Swap Force
Zoo Tycoon
Zumba Fitness: World Party

European launch: November 22, 2013

Angry Birds Star Wars
Battlefield 4
Crimson Dragon
Dead Rising 3
FIFA 14
Fighter Within
Forza Motorsport 5
Just Dance 2014
Killer Instinct
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
LocoCycle
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14
Need for Speed Rivals
Powerstar Golf
Skylanders: Swap Force
Zoo Tycoon

Japanese launch: September 4, 2014

Battlefield 4
Child of Light
Crimson Dragon
Dance Central Spotlight
Dead Rising 3
Forza Motorsport 5
Halo: Spartan Assault
Killer Instinct
Kinect Sports Rivals
LocoCycle
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Need for Speed Rivals
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Powerstar Golf
Strider
Thief
Titanfall
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Trials Fusion
Warframe
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
Watch Dogs
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Zoo Tycoon

Colbert

Banned
Launch had enough games I was interested in to play. Played a lot of Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 back in the days!

I liked watching Killer Instinct. Evo 2015 was amazing.

Happy it's coming to Steam finally so I can play it (assuming it doesn't require Windows 10).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Xbox 1 actually had a pretty decent launch in terms of exclusives. It's what happened in the year's after that did them in exclusive catalogue wide.

Kill3r7

FM5 felt barebones. Ryse was pretty but shallow. DR3 was fun. Titanfall was amazing. The rest were pretty much ports that were solid. BF4 could have been excellent but for the MP networking issues.

The launch line-up convinced me to 'jump in' over the PS4. I bet on MS wanting both their online-only, Kinect, and next-gen media device to succeed so badly that they'd pursue some crazy money-hats, introduce some neat and incredible concepts, and of course next-gen Halo. I feel like I lost that bet, though the current X1 proposition is very strong albeit for different reasons.

My poor never to see the light of day Ryse sequel... :eek:(

I still believe it'll happen, and lawd will it look incredible on One X.

It was a terrible console pick then but less so than today. Did anyone ever enjoy Kinect?

I must have imagined the countless hours of fun I've had on the One since launch. What a terrible decision I made.

You have a point with Kinect even with the odd decent game. Mines been unplugged for a while.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Launch lineup was way better than PS4's. If MS hadn't forced their price to be higher by including the Kinect I likely would have never went Sony this gen.

Despite the system itself I loved the games at launch, ryse was a game I enjoyed very much, free FM5 which I liked, DR3 again really enjoyed… third party titles like Fifa I played a ton and got a lot of enjoyment from Powerstar Golf

Probably my favourite actual launch line up

Bubba77

I a thally really enjoyed both dead rising 3 and ryse. Not a bad launch. And that forza was t the greatest one but it was still forza and fun to play.

Whoops forgot killer instinct. Man that game has legs. Really well done despite me sucking at it.

Copying what I wrote in another thread:

FM5 looked amazing. Playing a store demo in Paris (of all places) on launch with it running 1080p@60fps on the beautiful Prague track with the rumble triggers just blew me away. I knew I had to have a Xbox One aswell as a PS4 after the rocky E3 reveals that had tipped me towards the latter.

xrnzaaas

It was a weak lineup imo. Forza 5 turned out to be the worst Forza ever, games like Ryse would bomb if they weren't launch titles and only the multiplatform games saved the situation.

Man... I remember playing the heck out of Assassin's Creed IV, but then also wondering why I bought new hardware for it. Titanfall was my most anticipated game at the time and we didn't see that until the following March.

Otherwise, Ghosts and BF4 impressed visually but never really grabbed me. The start of this gen felt pretty meh now that I think of it.

On a related but slightly different note, I really wonder how things would look right now if Microsoft's initial plan for the Xbox One took off. Their approach to digital games was interesting, though obviously not the best for everyone.

Rocketz

Dead Rising 3
Assassins Creed Black Flag
Need for Speed Rivals
Battlefield 4
KI
Powerstar Gold (should fire this up again)

I got these all at launch and I had a ton of fun with them, we'll BF4 when it worked. It was a great lineup for me.

Maximus P

What a ride.

Dead Rising 3, Powerstar golf and Killer Instinct were my favourites at the time.

My kids and I loved the Kinect too, so it's a shame that it's been abandoned.

Synth

Killer Instinct was the star across both launches imo, and despite not being at launch Titanfall was the first game that made a real case as to why you'd buy a whole new console to play it.

Say what you want about Mattrick, but he brought an actual fucking lineup with him.

I must have imagined the countless hours of fun I've had on the One since launch. What a terrible decision I made.

You have a point with Kinect even with the odd decent game. Mines been unplugged for a while.
Wasn't trying to make a point about Kinect, genuinely curious.

I only bought one for and around Halo 5, which I haven't played in a while. If you enjoyed, awesome.

NimbusD

I'm weird. I actually liked the Kinect being used to interact w the console. I also liked the planned digital stuff as far as games being sharable with family members. I don't really remember what the original plan was though so maybe I'm forgetting whatever the huge downside was that set people off...

Anyway I always was into the Xbox one. Still haven't picked one up tho haha.

I'm weird. I actually liked the Kinect being used to interact w the console. I also liked the planned digital stuff as far as games being sharable with family members. I don't really remember what the original plan was though so maybe I'm forgetting whatever the huge downside was that set people off...

Anyway I always was into the Xbox one. Still haven't picked one up tho haha.

Yeah! Even though the OS was quite a few steps backwards from the 360, I really enjoyed using Kinect at launch. I really wish they would give us some Amazon Echo-like add-on for Xbox now that let me use voice controls without getting Kinect and the adapter required.

As for the digital stuff, I remember to two biggest sticking points being:

- Retail games "registered" to your console and thus couldn't be re-sold (as far as we know)
- Games would need to "ping" the servers every 24 hours or so to make sure you actually owned them

IIRC, there were also concerns about Kinect based on certain Microsoft patents. I think one detailed a system where the camera could detect how many people were in a room and lock you out of content like movies that aren't approved for "public showings".

I feel like solutions could have been found for the game complaints (if they weren't already worked out), but Microsoft just handled things poorly. Funny enough, Games Pass takes elements of those concepts and made things really consumer friendly. IE: 30 day licenses for playing games offline once you download them.

Man... I remember playing the heck out of Assassin's Creed IV, but then also wondering why I bought new hardware for it. Titanfall was my most anticipated game at the time and we didn't see that until the following March.

Otherwise, Ghosts and BF4 impressed visually but never really grabbed me. The start of this gen felt pretty meh now that I think of it.

Haha.

Yeah, cross-platform, but hey, that was a nice meaty game to start with. In my case, it was with my PS4 as a surprise Christmas gift, but it was a lot of fun.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox One launch was basically identical to the PS4. Better overall exclusives lineup but I only cared about Ryse. Not into Forza Motorsport (love FH3 though) and Dead Rising 3 had just way too much humor and zombies standing around doing nothing for me to be interested in it. AC IV: Black Flag was far and away the best game overall. Battlefield 4 was great while Ryse was good for what it was.

Top Bottom