• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Letting fists and feet fly. Plok the exploding man....

pulsemyne

A long time ago at a developers far, far away (unless you live in the UK in which case they were just a bit far away) The Pickford Brothers, Ste and John came up with an idea for an arcade game called "Fleapit" and it starred a very typically British character. One could throw away his limbs and then have them drift back to him. He was called Plok, or to give him his full title Plok the exploding man.
Like all good ideas people were skeptical at first.
"A character who throws his limbs about the place? You mad men!" people would cry out. Or at least they would have if anyone had been bothering to take any notice.
FP_plok_the_exploding_man_13-07-88.jpg

Look at him though! How could you not give this a game?
It didn't help matters that the Fleapit arcade game never actually made it to a finished state. It seemed like our exploding hero would never have his day in the sun, or violently throw an arm into someone's face.
However like a parasite that burrows under your skin before bursting out and showering all and sundry with it's horrible infection, the idea of Plok the exploding man wouldn't go away. It was too good for it's own good.
Then a chance came about. The once in a lifetime chance that only truly ugly people being offered sex from super models can fully appreciate. The Pickford brothers had a chance to make that pesky Plok game that had been bothering them.
So Plok! on the SNES was born and it's lush grpahics, engrossing gameplay and bowel shatteringly great music exploded onto our screens. The exploding man had arrived with a big bang. He may not have sold in the millions but he won over those who got the chance to play with his flying limbs.
But he has been away now for twenty years. Two decades of being Plokless in what should be a Plok filled world. Yet there is a glimmer of almost orgasmic hope on the horizon. You see the Pickford brothers may not be done with him just yet..
http://www.zee-3.com/plok/
The boys want to test the waters to see if people want a new Plok game. So neogaf it's time to jump into those waters, splash about quite a bit, then climb back out and shout to the world
"Hmm yes I think we'll have some of that lovely water"
Let the chaps know you want it!
Oh and posting bit's of the music as replies is a necessity of course.

pulsemyne

It was admittedly too hard and the lack of a save system was unforgivable.
Bloody typical. I go through all that hard work (5 minutes at best) of trying to get people on board the Plok hype train and you go and besmirch your own game. It was flawless JP, just tell the people the truth!

reminder

I loved the game since i heard first about it in the german Club Nintendo Magazine.

UbzZXst.jpg

I was 10 back then. We never bought the game but rented it multiple times. It was hard (thanks to the missing save feature) but awesome! Also, the b/w section in the past was a really nice touch.

pulsemyne

I loved the boss music. Well I loved all the music. The game itself though was also very good. Nice ideas (especially the fact that it wasn't just a platformer, you also had to kill the fleas in the level), nice clean crisp graphics and a solid control scheme. It worked very well. Also the boss designs were really good.

RomanceDawn

Wow does this take me back. It was $20 at Toys R We when I asked my mom to pick it up. It looked so weird I wrote it off immediately, even before I played it. But hey when you get two games a year the rare 3rd was too much to pass up.

I played the game and just thought it was dumbest piece of crap ever. I hated everything about. Then I played some more, and then some more, and then more and more and more! I was hooked and man how can you not dig that crazy harmonica tune? Playing Pappy in the flash back, those blasted Bobbins brothers, the fleas... This game was tough but I was addicted!

It took me months, maybe even years to make it to the boss version of that big Rock Head that comes out of the ground. When I finally beat it on normal I was disappointed that I had to play hard mode to reach the final stages. I only ever saw them on YouTube sometime last year.

I would certainly be down for another Plok, so long as they put some real effort into it.

Alrus

This game was hard as fuck, I never managed to get past that Spider boss when I was a kid. Plus the Forest level was hard as fuck, I hated it (as a kid). Fuck you big flower that spit smaller flowers!

Music was amazing though, and it would have been less hard if it had a save system tbh.

Tried replaying it again a couple years ago and managed to get to the last few levels, damn the vehicles were a bit clunky to use.

Teknoman

emb

I always thought Plok looked interesting, but I never did pick it up. This just makes me want to do so.

DJIzana

I remember that game!!! It was pretty unique for the time. Nothing too memorable though, unfortunately.

I also remember playing this game too.

Claymates.png

LDAF

OP gave me an indefinable satisfaction from reading his delightful posts. You've caught my attention.

Lumyst

So is this popping up because of the rumoured sequel to be announced on the Direct tomorrow?

tumblr_mr3k9ifUDF1seuicpo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mr4giqCq6p1seuicpo1_1280.jpg

Ah, I love it when hardware is used to render wonderful, colorful toy worlds such as this! Game consoles don't have to always be used as killing simulators.

gundalf

I loved the game since i heard first about it in the german Club Nintendo Magazine.

UbzZXst.jpg

I was 10 back then. We never bought the game but rented it multiple times. It was hard (thanks to the missing save feature) but awesome! Also, the b/w section in the past was a really nice touch.

It was the same with me, i saw it on the German Nintendo Magazine and instantly bought it. I never finished until recently with cheats, though with a save system the game could be perfectly beaten by my younger self. Anyway, the game was a blast and criminally under-looked (probably because of the lack of a Mega Drive port).

eight8bit

Neo Member
Music was wonderful, but I really loved the stage designs too. Not resorting to the usual ice/lava/desert stages was refreshing to me.

Plok sequel?? I'll be all over that, Tim Follin or not.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Plok really wasn't a particularly good game, not even visually, but man, Tim Follin really killed it on the OST. I even remember hearing that Miyamoto was shown the game at some presentation or something and he ended up taking the cart out of the machine and inspecting it to make sure it wasn't plugged into some external sound source, because he couldn't believe they'd manage to squeeze such music out of the SNES. Probably just some schoolyard bullshit, but it always stuck with me for whatever reason.

eXistor

I was wondering why Plok was popping up so much lately. I actually played it for a bit for the forst time yesterday. Not a fan personally, but it's got some unique features and it seems like a decent enough platformer for its time.

pulsemyne

The Plok you see is one that apparently was a fan project. I don't think is John and Ste decided to make a new one they would go with a 3d look. They would more likely go 2D. Having said that it was once rumoured that a Plok 64 was being made so you never know. The Plok cartoon is something being done to test if people want a new one.

Apenheul

I really liked Plok and finished it once on the easiest difficulty level only to find out that I needed to try again on a harder difficulty level to see the rest of the game. Plok was one of the few SNES games which gave me an Amiga vibe, perhaps because of the way enemies exploded and the weird palette effects.

pulsemyne

And loe a mysterious tweet I found on John Pickfords twitter from "plok the exploding man"

"I'm looking forward to the Nintendo Direct tomorrow. Fingers crossed that my sequel is finally announced."

Celegus

Plok was great! It's also the only game I've ever owned that I literally could not beat because it was too hard. I'd be... curious about a new one. As long as it's 2D and keeps the art style and humor.

Also, was it named after the flea killer spray? My 8 year old mind was blown when I saw my parents had a can of Plok in the closet.

Raitaro

Ah, I love it when hardware is used to render wonderful, colorful toy worlds such as this! Game consoles don't have to always be used as killing simulators.

Indeed, I fully agree! Heck, I would welcome any new sequel or reboot to an old game such as Plok if only for the chance to play around in a colorful game world again.

Colors rule! (As do colours!)

Great music and a great, well-written OP too by the way!

JPickford

Also, was it named after the flea killer spray? My 8 year old mind was blown when I saw my parents had a can of Plok in the closet.

It was just named randomly.

Surely there isn't really a brand of flea killer called Plok? Can you post pic?

Fadobo

Took me a long time to finish that game. I remember the easy mode only letting you play the first couple of levels and that was all I did until finally growing some balls. It took a long time before I finished that game afterwards. One of my favourite childhood-platformers.

Celegus

It was just named randomly.

Surely there isn't really a brand of flea killer called Plok? Can you post pic?

No, there really was. I didn't realize it was so obscure, I can't even seem to find it online anywhere. I don't have a picture sadly, and I seriously doubt my parents still have it in their house 15+ years later. Even back then, the can looked really old, so I figured the game was named after it. My sister also remembers it; we thought it was the coolest thing ever because we loved the game so much.

Edit: This is the best my google-fu has found so far. No picture, but shows that it does/did exist.

JPickford

No, there really was. I didn't realize it was so obscure, I can't even seem to find it online anywhere. I don't have a picture sadly, and I seriously doubt my parents still have it in their house 15+ years later. Even back then, the can looked really old, so I figured the game was named after it. My sister also remembers it; we thought it was the coolest thing ever because we loved the game so much.

Edit: This is the best my google-fu has found so far. No picture, but shows that it does/did exist.

Wierd co-incidence. Unless they took the name from the game.

Anyway, new episode of comic is up:

http://www.zee-3.com/plok/index.php?comic=724

Amir0x

Banned
Aw all the PLOK MUSIC IS FUCKING AMAZING people have arrived before me to the party

well PLOK MUSIC IS STILL FUCKING AMAZING, so I will add my voice to the chorus.

Edit: Wait, nobody posted Creepy Crag! So I will! See, Creepy Crag! God It's awesome. Dat drop down @ 0:49

This grotesque character and totally unremarkable game is not worthy of having such a wonderful soundtrack. Follin did so many memorable soundtracks to so many forgettable games, he was cursed or something

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The pizza place a few miles from the house I grew up on used to rent games and movies - back then it was a lucrative business and a lot of general stores around here did. I used to bike down and rent games, it was kind of a long ride so it always felt like an adventure. I rented SNES games until I got my Saturn, and owe this bike ride for introducing me to Chrono Trigger, Harvest Moon, and PLOK.

The music got me - it seems that what most people pick up on. Obviously, the instrumentation plays a big part in this, but at the time, it just didn't sound like video game music. It sounded like music. The art direction more or less sealed the deal for me then, and I remember loving the power ups, thinking they were much cooler than the stuff Mario was doing.

I'm nostalgic enough about PLOK that I'd support another go around. I found the old cart at a comic shop a few years ago and bought it for a few bucks.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I have fond memories of Plok, but I'm pretty sure I never made any real progress in it. Surprised to see strongly negative opinions about it though, I figured indifference at worst. There was something I liked about the look of the game and the character (and the box art) that made me get it. Didn't always work out as a purchase method as a kid, but this isn't one I remember being a mistake. Maybe I'll have to pick it up again to see what I'm forgetting.

Top Bottom