• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Hemsworth to replace Henry Cavill in The Witcher season 4

ZehDon

Wouldn't matter who they cast - re-casting your main actor four seasons in is never going to work. Everyone who didn't like your previous lead is long gone. Everyone who did like your previous lead won't stick around for the "great value" re-cast. Feel sorry for Hemsworth - he's in a no-win situation.

Teletraan1

Banned
I am glad Henry is getting away from this show. It was fucking garbage. He was the only good thing about the show. Sidelining The Witcher in the final episode of the first season of The Witcher was a bold move by the writers. So was mainly focusing on other characters the aren't The Witcher for season 2. At the rate these writers are going Liam can just make a short cameo for the 4th season of The Witcher as The Witcher and call it a day. They should have just made a show called The Yennifer, at least it would be honest.

pasterpl

I only have seen season 1, but it lacked something to capture my attention, it seemed that the production value was low (even compared to some other Netflix fantasy shows) which was surprising. I don’t care much about changing the main character actor for this, but this is quite unusual and doesn’t bode well for show that it is already mediocre.

This show could have really been something special but they threw it away.

world wars GIF

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

PillsOff

Banned
Enough people watched this garbage n said "i like to be force-fed with pure shit" so we have to witness decomposing of a corpse of this embarrassing joke of an "adaptation" for a couple more years
The only bright side is that it is not as agonizing as watching the show it self

The only decent thing about this show is that it got my wife reading the books and playing Witcher 3. All of which she vastly preferred over the show.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

He bears a passing resemblance to Michal Zebrowski, who starred as Geralt in the first TV adaptation of the Witcher back in 2001.

wit-the-hexer.jpg

But as has been repeated dozens of times now, the issue isn't that Hemsworth can't be made to look or even act like Geralt. The issue is that the writing team is comprised of a bunch of hacks who have no respect for the source material and who are led by a narcissistic bell-end of a showrunner. As a huge fan of the games and books, Cavill tried his best to rein them in and make them stick to the source novels, and all of the seasons thus far still turned out to be varying degrees of shit. I highly doubt Hemsworth will be motivated with the same passion, and I have no faith whatsoever that the writers have learned a damned thing.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
The guy, now older, looks quite ok. He has some Ralph Fiennes vibe to his visage. We'll see how he performs. Joel Kinnaman would be another good choice.

Last edited:

Kazdane

I was expecting it would look worse (simply because at the end of the day they're two different persons) but he looks fine. I'm with everyone else in this though, the writing is the actual issue.

Denton

By looks alone Hemsworth could be even more game accurate Geralt than Cavill, although how he sounds and acts remains to be seen.
But what is the point when the writers are such brainlets? There is no point.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
To be honest, even with Henry Cavill I stopped watching after the 1st season. It just wasn’t that good. I’ll probably watch a bit to see how Hemsworth fairs, but let’s be honest Cavill leaving isn’t ruining the show lol.

The show was adequately ruined after the 1st season regardless of who played Geralt. It will take a miracle for Season 5 to be deemed a success.

Dazraell

Agreed, season 3 just like 1 is very faithful to the books.
I haven't watched season 3, but even season 1 had a lot of changes to the source material that made it worse so I wouldn't call it faithful. I feel that each of the changes they made worked to the detriment of the source material

For example, that goofy subplot with doppler chasing Ciri in a Brokilon forest was completely made up and replaced one of the better short stories with something much shittier and completely removed any meaning from Geralt's and Ciri's meeting. Geralt was never in Cintra when it was invaded. Majority of Yennefer's backstory and the whole thing with eels was also made up for the show. Foltest and Vizima were also very different in the short story

gerth666

I haven't watched season 3, but even season 1 had a lot of changes to the source material that made it worse so I wouldn't call it faithful. I feel that each of the changes they made worked to the detriment of the source material

For example, that goofy subplot with doppler chasing Ciri in a Brokilon forest was completely made up and replaced one of the better short stories with something much shittier and completely removed any meaning from Geralt's and Ciri's meeting. Geralt was never in Cintra when it was invaded. Majority of Yennefer's backstory and the whole thing with eels was also made up for the show. Foltest and Vizima were also very different in the short story
Yeah good points, but I disagree with the ciri Doppler plot. From what I remember of the books, and I've not read them for a few years, but I feel they put that in there because the books were so vague about her escape from cintra. All the books describe is she's just traumatized by it, and is shit scarred of cahere? You know the winged helmet fella. Whatever you feel of those scenes, they're added to give a bit of danger to what happened to her. I thought it was okay.

Dazraell

Yeah good points, but I disagree with the ciri Doppler plot. From what I remember of the books, and I've not read them for a few years, but I feel they put that in there because the books were so vague about her escape from cintra. All the books describe is she's just traumatized by it, and is shit scarred of cahere? You know the winged helmet fella. Whatever you feel of those scenes, they're added to give a bit of danger to what happened to her. I thought it was okay.
I don't mind changing things to expand the story, but I do find an issue with them butchering things that were portrayed much better in a source material in order to give something for the character that didn't had too much to do in the short stories. It's quite obvious that doppler thing was invented only to give more screen time for Ciri

But the reason why I hated the Brokilon story wasn't because of the doppler thing, but that it replaced the original Brokilon story where Geralt met Ciri years before the fall of Cintra. He didn't knew it was her and he saved her from being turned to one of the driads. The main point of this story was to show that while Geralt desperately tried to avoid his destiny, thinking that never setting a foot in Cintra will be enough to circumvent the law of surprise, their paths was always destined to cross. So when him and Ciri met after the fall of Cintra when Geralt was looking for her, that meeting felt much more meaningful and important as their paths were always meant to get them there - it was a meeting that was years in the making. TV series completely botched that context, at least in my opinion

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why would you take on the role knowing why the previous lead left...

gerth666

I don't mind changing things to expand the story, but I do find an issue with them butchering things that were portrayed much better in a source material in order to give something for the character that didn't had too much to do in the short stories. It's quite obvious that doppler thing was invented only to give more screen time for Ciri

But the reason why I hated the Brokilon story wasn't because of the doppler thing, but that it replaced the original Brokilon story where Geralt met Ciri years before the fall of Cintra. He didn't knew it was her and he saved her from being turned to one of the driads. The main point of this story was to show that while Geralt desperately tried to avoid his destiny, thinking that never setting a foot in Cintra will be enough to circumvent the law of surprise, their paths was always destined to cross. So when him and Ciri met after the fall of Cintra when Geralt was looking for her, that meeting felt much more meaningful and important as their paths were always meant to get them there - it was a meeting that was years in the making. TV series completely botched that context, at least in my opinion
Again fair points, I can agree with this that their meeting is better, you just rejigged my memory, like I said I've not read the book's for a long time. I think the brokilon part where they meet each other was a short story? I don't agree the writers changed things around just for more ciri time. The group of short stories which were the first two books were told over a long number of years, i think you'd change things to fit into eight episodes of TV. The events of season 1 was based on the the two sets of short stories and the first novel. That's a lot to adapt. Despite the changes I think season 1 is fairly faithful like I said. Season 2 is absolute trash, and season 3 is the best season. Like I said I really enjoyed it, it does change some things, but the main stuff is accurate

Top Bottom