• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Licensed games that have nothing to do with the license

Almighty

It was supposed to be Sea Dogs 2, but they slapped PotC license on it. It was a shame, because all this movements and trying to match movie premiere meant that the game didn't ship as complete as it should have.

Well that makes sense. I assumed something like that happened because that game has almost nothing to do with the movie. It's too bad because with a few tweaks and more content that game could of been pretty good.

RagnarokX

Home Improvement on Snes. The game revolves around a storyline of Tim "The Tool-man" Taylor being lost in time and having to collect the Binford tools.

2094314869_03db229ccd.jpg

He's not lost in time, he's going onto the sets of other shows.

J-Spot

Bart vs. The Space Mutants for the NES was unique in that it used the license relatively well, but only for the first level. As Bart you walk around Springfield spray painting buildings and playing pranks to meet the level objective. After that it's just crappy platforming through generic locations.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It didn't having nothing to do with the license, but Namco's Star Wars game on the NES had Luke Skywalker with black hair fighting animals that were disguised as Darth Vader

starwarsscreen071308.png

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
As much as I love the Fast and the Furious arcade games, they're just Cruis'n Exotica with a famous movie license and cars from said movies.

Celine

Uh, how's that not based on the license? All the bosses are standard Batman villains, the environments are pretty standard Batman settings, and the gameplay consists of Batman punching/throwing batarangs at bad guys.

A case could be made for Batman NES, however. That game definitely feels like it was developed more as Sunsoft's answer to Ninja Gaiden, and then the Batman license was thrown on top at the eleventh hour.
The action itself doesn't reflect the batman cartoon at all.
It's just a run n gun ala Gunstar Heroes but with Batman skins.

It's a great technical showcase for MD with the Batman license slapped in.

sn00zer

It didn't having nothing to do with the license, but Namco's Star Wars game on the NES had Luke Skywalker with black hair fighting animals that were disguised as Darth Vader

starwarsscreen071308.png

These Star Wars games (including the SNES versions) had some pretty batshit sections....more interesting though is a lot of the creature designs were unused from preproduction on the original films

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
These Star Wars games (including the SNES versions) had some pretty batshit sections....more interesting though is a lot of the creature designs were unused from preproduction on the original films

The JVC Star Wars series elaborated a fair bit, but nothing out of the ordinary for the time. The Namco one was just batshit crazy though.

This is completely the opposite of what OP was asking for, but I recently found out that Journey to Silius on the NES was originally programmed to be a Terminator licensed game. Sunsoft failed to get the license and they were forced to come up with an original story to go along with the game that, frankly, was not very engaging. It's a shame because the mechanics and music for JtS were great, better than any of the actual licensed Terminator games, which were all total crap.

Carnby

2VHxKJI.jpg

CA7XYTh.jpg

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a licensed game that has nothing to do with the license, but the plot is so absurd that it just might.

michael-jordan-in-chaos-in-the-windy-city-20101121065629306-000.jpg

I know it's MJ and he shoots basketballs and there are hoops on the walls so obviously effort went into making it 'his' game, but seriously a platformer with the greatest basketballer of all time shooting spiders...

chud

Banned
It appears as though the upcoming LOTR game may fall into this category, though I am still pretty excited for it.

Rlan

I actually wrote this up a while ago, but it's relevant to this post:

tumblr_m643ojCitS1rr8om5.jpg

tumblr_m643orkfo91rr8om5.png
tumblr_m643oyrn351rr8om5.png

So you probably don't know what the above game is. What is an "Agro Soar" exactly, and why does he have his own game?

Well you won't find Agro outside of Australia -- he was the host of a weekday morning cartoon show along with the human host Ann Marie. It's best to point you to this hilarious video of outtakes from the show. He even had his own Ice Cream!

Somewhere in his 8 year reign on Television he got himself a Gameboy title, developed by well known Aussie developer Beam Software. Seeing this title back in the day I always wanted to play it, or at least know about it.

Looking it up a few days ago I found Agro Soar actually was similar to a lot of other titles, and began investigating. For one -- the game involves some magician bringinf you to a dinosaur world. Like, what? Agro's more of a thingamajig, never involved dinosaurs, so what made that happen?

tumblr_m646etc6Cd1rr8om5.jpg
tumblr_m646exGc1X1rr8om5.jpg

Apparently Agro is a main-character switch of a game called Baby T-Rex which was released in Europe, which itself is probably hard to find. It was released the same year as Agro Soar and involved a little T-Rex riding a skateboard.

Hold on, wait a minute, didn't Beam do another game with that some time later? And those plant springs look familiar...

tumblr_m647l2GrpV1rr8om5.png
tumblr_m647l65GTi1rr8om5.png

Beam released this game! Radical Rex, a sidescrolling platformer with a T-Rex on a skateboard in 1994 for the Megadrive and SNES. From what I can tell Beam must have created the Gameboy version of the game much earlier and then attempted to push it to numerous publishers. At some point they remade the concept into Radical Rex -- removing the rock throwing concept and gave him fire breath.

It's not often that you see how a game evolves over time, especially this early in the game industry. It's also one of the first games that switched a game around for another copyrighted character, like we've seen in Angry Birds Rio, Temple Run: Brave, Fruit Ninja: Puss In Boots, and Where's My Perry?

Top Bottom